• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What you're describing is literally the work of any science though. You develop theories from the evidence at hand and attempt to practically test those theories with the knowledge that you may be wrong and a willingness to accept that. You also traditionally have confidence in your theories based on the evidence and the conclusions you've arrived at. If you're wrong, you're wrong and move on and redevelop theories and ideas around why the initial one was incorrect. Obviously Smash Speculation doesn't inherently give you any control over testing of the theories and you're only working from a limited set of information that has to be pieced together from interviews, character releases, etc. But I mean, that's just kind of what you do in the act of speculation.

Sure it's not an exact science, but it's also not this mystical ideology that some Smash circles seem to claim it is either and there's a fair amount of predictions that can be made based upon evidence such as precedence and looking at how it benefits Nintendo. Because at the core of every single Smash character is the ideology that it advances Nintendo's goals in some way. Sure, that's a fundamentally broad category, but then you can distill it down further into additional ideas about how the roster is chosen and for what purposes, and what may fit and what may not.
Do you always have to disagree with me or correct one of my posts? I thought this was something everyone could agree on.

I don't think we should write Rex off as a goner just because of certain patterns we've been following. If all the patterns we've been depending on for our predictions were true, Byleth wouldn't have gotten in the first pass, and ARMS probably wouldn't have gotten a character at all.

What you're describing is literally the work of any science though. You develop theories from the evidence at hand and attempt to practically test those theories with the knowledge that you may be wrong and a willingness to accept that. You also traditionally have confidence in your theories based on the evidence and the conclusions you've arrived at. If you're wrong, you're wrong and move on and redevelop theories and ideas around why the initial one was incorrect. Obviously Smash Speculation doesn't inherently give you any control over testing of the theories and you're only working from a limited set of information that has to be pieced together from interviews, character releases, etc. But I mean, that's just kind of what you do in the act of speculation.

Sure it's not an exact science, but it's also not this mystical ideology that some Smash circles seem to claim it is either and there's a fair amount of predictions that can be made based upon evidence such as precedence and looking at how it benefits Nintendo. Because at the core of every single Smash character is the ideology that it advances Nintendo's goals in some way. Sure, that's a fundamentally broad category, but then you can distill it down further into additional ideas about how the roster is chosen and for what purposes, and what may fit and what may not.
The thing with calling speculation a sort of science is that it probably comes closest to sociology. One of the big concepts in sociology is that you can predict the average action of the masses, but if you try to predict the actions of a single individual you will likely be surprised. Nintendo, in this instance, is basically an individual. It's one group making decisions for a fighter's pass. We all have experience with that group and how it has done things, but it has still surprised us at almost every turn. Our "science" has become more and more ineffectual over time, partly because the experiment knows it's being experimented on and is actively resisting.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's some Xenoblade talk here, just wanted to jump in, cause I'm loving Xenoblade Definite Edition right now. And am wondering how XB2 plays like. I'm also definitely not against Rex, in fact, I think he might be quite likely even and am sort of expecting him.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
There's only two things I feel confident to put money on for this fighters pass: Something Xeno related, whether it's Fiora, Elma, or Rex/Pyra or even KOS-MOS if we want to go beyond Blade and Travis Touchdown.

Mostly because it feels like the timing is right for both of them, especially Travis to come into Smash now. Xenoblade and Monolith Soft hype is at a huge high and people want a new Xeno rep and Travis has had support since the days of Brawl and NMH3 is around the corner with Nintendo helping with Marketing so it makes sense if they wanna strike there.

I'd likely be wrong but I am also confident there.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Do you always have to disagree with me or correct one of my posts? I thought this was something everyone could agree on.

I don't think we should write Rex off as a goner just because of certain patterns we've been following. If all the patterns we've been depending on for our predictions were true, Byleth wouldn't have gotten in the first pass, and ARMS probably wouldn't have gotten a character at all.
No, I just seem to rarely seem to agree with you and approach Smash in a fundamentally different way than you do, and it becomes a place where I have an interest in commenting on the issue. And specifically, the lens by which I view Smash is the more "scientific version" of things, so there's that.

Also, I literally just made a post saying I wasn't sure how to interpret Rex for his unique set of circumstances and that while I didn't think he was out of the running, he also had some more specific issues I wanted to highlight as potential roadblocks. So it's not a disagreement with writing Rex off. I also similarly said in an earlier post Byleth made sense on different levels too even if I doubted them because I expected Nintendo to respond in part to the criticisms of Corrin by not including Byleth. It's just OK for those patterns and predictions to be wrong too is all I'm saying as well because it integral to the methodology to continually evolve theories and conclusions.

The thing with calling speculation a sort of science is that it probably comes closest to sociology. One of the big concepts in sociology is that you can predict the average action of the masses, but if you try to predict the actions of a single individual you will likely be surprised. Nintendo, in this instance, is basically an individual. It's one group making decisions for a fighter's pass. We all have experience with that group and how it has done things, but it has still surprised us at almost every turn. Our "science" has become more and more ineffectual over time, partly because the experiment knows it's being experimented on and is actively resisting.
I would actually argue the opposite, I'd say its only become more effective since the Smash 4 days and that despite people being surprised, that often has more to with the individual biases of those conducting the "scientific research" rather than a subject who is trying to resist the "study." I also still think that people overvalue the "surprise" side of Smash and its roster so as to build a more engaging and riveting mythology by which to submerse themselves in the "hype" of the community. It's been an ever-evolving situation in which new information comes to light and new realities often with it. The fact that we have a roster chosen by "Nintendo" and not "Sakurai" also further gives credence to the ideology we can analyze it more effectively and predict certain decisions. Sakurai is the harder to predict individual versus Nintendo the corporation that is attempting to achieve its goals with Super Smash Bros. that has multiple individuals involved in the decision making process.

And I'd argue if there was ever a point in which we're approaching a better understanding of Smash, it would be now after seeing everything they've done for Ultimate and the fact that I do think you can demonstrate pretty easily why the additions chosen have been chosen and what they bring to the table. Again, I don't expect it to be perfect or an accurate predictor of literally everything, but I do think it's a good toolkit by which to approach speculation.

I would actually argue the opposite, I'd say its only become more effective since the Smash 4 days and that despite people being surprised, that often has more to with the individual biases of those conducting the "scientific research" rather than a subject who is trying to resist the "study." I also still think that people overvalue the "surprise" side of Smash and its roster so as to build a more engaging and riveting mythology by which to submerse themselves in the "hype" of the community. It's been an ever-evolving situation in which new information comes to light and new realities often with it. The fact that we have a roster chosen by "Nintendo" and not "Sakurai" also further gives credence to the ideology we can analyze it more effectively and predict certain decisions. Sakurai is the harder to predict individual versus Nintendo the corporation that is attempting to achieve its goals with Super Smash Bros. that has multiple individuals involved in the decision making process.

And I'd argue if there was ever a point in which we're approaching a better understanding of Smash, it would be now after seeing everything they've done for Ultimate and the fact that I do think you can demonstrate pretty easily why the additions chosen have been chosen and what they bring to the table. Again, I don't expect it to be perfect or an accurate predictor of literally everything, but I do think it's a good toolkit by which to approach speculation.
And yet we have largely gotten anything right in Ultimate right solely because of leaks. because it was handed to us on a silver platter. The only things I can think of that that speculation has gotten right without help is that Ken would be an echo, we would get a new pokemon in the base game, and that we would get a Three Houses character eventually (but very, very few people thought Byleth would be in pass 1). Maybe Banjo and Kazooie or K. Rool, but I don't know if they were legitimate expectations or just hopes.

Granted, in terms of examining those leaks I agree with you. People have gotten much better at examining them to see what, if any, value they hold. But we currently live in a period without many leaks and none that seem credible. When leaks have been the major reason any character has been expected, I don't think we can be so confident that we're masters of figuring out Nintendo as much as we are at being good listeners.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
No, I just seem to rarely seem to agree with you and approach Smash in a fundamentally different way than you do, and it becomes a place where I have an interest in commenting on the issue. And specifically, the lens by which I view Smash is the more "scientific version" of things, so there's that.

Also, I literally just made a post saying I wasn't sure how to interpret Rex for his unique set of circumstances and that while I didn't think he was out of the running, he also had some more specific issues I wanted to highlight as potential roadblocks. So it's not a disagreement with writing Rex off. I also similarly said in an earlier post Byleth made sense on different levels too even if I doubted them because I expected Nintendo to respond in part to the criticisms of Corrin by not including Byleth. It's just OK for those patterns and predictions to be wrong too is all I'm saying as well because it integral to the methodology to continually evolve theories and conclusions.
Well, whatever this alleged "scientific version" of Smash speculation is supposed to be, I don't put much stock in it.

This thread has a horrible track record with DLC predictions, and the only two characters who a notable number of people predicted (Hero and Banjo) are not "scientific predictions" in the slightest. One was leaked by someone with a decent track record, and the other was a popular request who was considered likely more so because of the strong desire to see him in Smash.

Every time people think they have the patterns of newcomers all figured out, another one is revealed that forces them to go back to brainstorming. I still occasionally use past precedents as reference, but for the most part, I don't even bother trying to pretend like I have any idea what Nintendo or Sakurai will do. I'm absolutely clueless.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
View attachment 273827

I saw this yesterday & its 99.99% probably just a coincidence, but there seems to be a pattern going on.

First Column: Nintendo character that isn’t super hype, but not hated either (Once Plant came out that is)

Second Column: Internet breaking/“THEY’RE IN?!” Character

Third Column: Series that started on the NES

Fourth Column: Rare character

Fifth Column: This just seems like a free space so far lmao

Sixth Column: Nintendo shill pick

Like I said, it’s probably just a coincidence but it’s fun to see how it’s lined up like that so far.

The fifth column is what ultimately makes me think it’s a coincidence though; I can’t really see anything similar between Isabelle & Terry besides them being cool characters that didn’t make the fanbase explode one way or another.
Looks like a game so I made this.

Fighter Pass volume 2 based on pattern.png

I jokingly added Yooka and Laylee for a hypothetical third King K. Rool trailer but instead of King K. Rool you have Banjo and Kazooie in his place, pagie flies through, the Kong Krew poke their heads out of the gap that used be their window, Yoshi appears disguised as Yooka, they slam down on him, reveal themselves and the Kong Krew look in confusion to these new faces.

And Cortez is there because as always...

... I don't know why.

What do you all think of this pass?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Every time people think they have the patterns of newcomers all figured out, another one is revealed that forces them to go back to brainstorming. I still occasionally use past precedents as reference, but for the most part, I don't even bother trying to pretend like I have any idea what Nintendo or Sakurai will do. I'm absolutely clueless.
That's basically the scientific method. Observation, question, hypothesis, experiment, conclusion. Then it repeats itself with new information.

For example:

Observation: Every Smash series started with the mascot/protagonist as their inaugural pick.

Question: Who will be chosen as the ARMS character?

Hypothesis: Based on the observation, I believe the ARMS character will be Spring Man

Experiment: Basically the reveal

Analysis: Was I right? Was I wrong?

Conclusion: This character was added because I can best surmise that...
---
And the process repeats. Nobody will ever be 100% correct about Smash, but that's also not an excuse to disregard things that people suggest when it comes to Smash, nor do I think users are propping themselves in a way that makes them seem infallible or always correct. To be honest, you are one of the only people who nearly every time I check this thread says something like, "Well, people are always wrong so I don't see why I should believe what they think". Just seems like a negative mindset on why we're here in the first place.

I have to think people who regularly comment and socialize in a speculation thread about Super Smash Bros. would like to actually speculate about Super Smash Bros. and not just, "I can't possibly know who they're going to add, so why bother trying?" That's super boring! Of course people are going to make predictions. That's what we're here for. Who cares who's right in the end when we get to play as cool characters in the greatest crossover in gaming history?

Unless of course, folks are just here to stare at the character select screen.

It doesn't ruin someone's credibility if they're wrong necessarily either, assuming they take the newest information and change their outlook. For example, I didn't previously expect upgrades, but with the announcement of ARMS, I more or less expect at least one to happen. That doesn't mean I don't have credibility, it means that I analyze the information to then make my best guess for the next choices.

I guess I just don't understand the negativity when it comes to speculating in a speculation thread and people trying to make educate guesses/inferences for fun.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Belmont and Hero were who I were alluding to, Joker and Shouty McDumb could not have had any impact on the ballot at all
Oh, I wasn’t crapping on Belmont & Hero. Simon was one of my most wanted characters & in retrospect, Hero is a great choice. I was just saying that there’s a common similarity between the two of coming from series that debuted on the NES.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Alright, so...

Euden from Dragalia Lost as part of the FP.

How would you guys feel about it?

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
And yet we have largely gotten anything right in Ultimate right solely because of leaks.
Well, whatever this alleged "scientific version" of Smash speculation is supposed to be, I don't put much stock in it.

This thread has a horrible track record with DLC predictions, and the only two characters who a notable number of people predicted (Hero and Banjo) are not "scientific predictions" in the slightest.
It's because Smash Boards is a bubble, and more so a bubble of mostly aggressive and leak-dependent people. And people that forget and rewrite what was going on afterwards, at that. No scientific method can dare claim to follow what is going on here without accumulating preposterous biases.

And likewise, those of us who are not necessarily as active here, and those that don't follow leaks, well they are picking up on nice patterns. I predicted a dragon quest representative, Banjo, Byleth, some fighter from rival companies (which turned into Terry), and the Arms fighter. Joker I didn't see coming, but that's a decent track record so far. And I don't follow leaks, because 99% of them are bull**** or vague, so what's the point?

But this is just an example, it's not about my specific guesses. There are tons of casual players out there like me that can see some patterns form, keeping in mind the vision Sakurai tried to push, and Nintendo's objectives, with realistic third party expectations because they are also potential Nintendo rivals. When you take all of that into account, most of the picks aren't too surprising, overall, and for sure, there would be scientific ways to quantify the chance of many contenders. It would be easier with key information like budget, revenue, costs, and decisions like "will there be more or not" when those decisions are made, but educated guesses can still be made.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh, I wasn’t crapping on Belmont & Hero. Simon was one of my most wanted characters & in retrospect, Hero is a great choice. I was just saying that there’s a common similarity between the two of coming from series that debuted on the NES.
Considering how you worded the post it seemed obvious to me that you didn't make that image, which put a ****ing ballot character in 'generally accepted', sorry if my post seemed vague

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It’d be the most blatant shill pick since Corrin. Does Dragalia Lost even have a fanbase?
I can guarantee you pretty much every potential Smash canidate under the sun has a fanbase in some shape or form, no matter how niche or controversial

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, so...

ehhhhhhhhh

i'd love to see more first-parties, but euden is just

not interesting at all to me.

not that i'd hate him or anything, i'd just be slightly bummed because i believe there's tons and tons of far more interesting nintendo characters to choose from. buuuuuut just like with byleth, if i don't like the character, i might as well try to enjoy the other parts of the challenger pack. even if i have no idea what they'd choose for a stage, it'd still be a new setting, a new enviroment with new music. but i couldn't care less for the character

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Alright, so...

I'd be disappointed that we got Granblue's lesser known sibling. Like, I know Dragalia Lost is owned by Nintendo and all but if you're gonna get something from Cygames then just get Granblue Fantasy.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
It’d be the most blatant shill pick since Corrin. Does Dragalia Lost even have a fanbase?
Pretty sure Nintendo would have shut it down by now and wouldn't have made Fire Emblem, Mega Man and Monster Hunter crossovers if it didn't.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

This thread has a horrible track record with DLC predictions, and the only two characters who a notable number of people predicted (Hero and Banjo) are not "scientific predictions" in the slightest. One was leaked by someone with a decent track record, and the other was a popular request who was considered likely more so because of the strong desire to see him in Smash.

It means I don't talk about who I want exclusively or build narratives that better serve to benefit those characters (yeah Master Chief would break me and the internet, but I don't have much faith in his inclusion), it means I look at what Nintendo and Smash continually are doing and look at good options for following those trends and derive my enjoyment of speculation from that approach. And I'd actually argue what we tend to do is a better job of defining who it's not going to be with these posts. The root of "No Upgrades from Base Game" in Fighter's Pass 1 was exactly the sort of theory this approach solidified and built on.

I'm here to make predictions based upon the body of evidence and trends I've observed in Smash because I enjoy talking about Smash. Saying "Anything can happen" and "I can't possibly know what's coming next" are equally boring takes to me that don't let me really get down into the details of Smash and its conclusions or let me use tools of analysis broadly speaking. I don't particularly care if I'm wrong because I'm more than willing to admit I can be wrong and reshape my analysis as new information becomes present for me. People seem to assume the end game is somehow predicting every single fighter or that it's a big deal to make a prediction that goes wrong, when it's just not to me at all. I'm not the sole arbiter of what is right and wrong for Smash or Smash Speculation, but I'm going to give my input and I'm going to speak with others and defend my analysis with confidence because that's also critical to the process of speculation in of itself. Talking about your ideas and theories helps solidify them and your voice, so I have always thought it important to continue doing so. The biggest thing I do is ask evidence of people. Now, sure evidence is a bit more tricky with Smash because it inherently is an imprecise "science" to speak, but I also don't really find non evidence based conclusions that interesting because of the aforementioned two takes that I'm not really interested in.

Like Chibi Robo is one of my favorites, but I'll never call him likely at this point for a multitude of reasons. Now if someone comes presenting the evidence of a new Chibi Robo revival that Nintendo is investing in, maybe I'll change my tune, but I'm also not going to just say I think he's likely because I really like him either. Similarly, the reason I hit the Pokemon Spirits so heavily as a disconfirm is based in the fairness across the board to all post September Spirits. Dear god I would love to see Astral Chain, Ring Fit Adventure, and Resident Evil get in; but they're all equally effected by the same reality that communicates the same sort of line of thinking that base game to Fighter's Pass Volume 1 did. I say all this to sort of further communicate what I mean with my approach and how I enjoy it and why I continue to try to work with it.

It's not about being right, it's just about approaching speculation in a unique way that I enjoy and takes a more "clinical approach" that exists more firmly in a speculation thread than various character support threads. And I really disagree that there aren't trends and ideologies that we can't follow across Smash. I think there's plenty of interesting ones to follow and see where they lead you such as "Recent Nintendo Breakout Stars" or "Company with iconic characters and/or series that are close to Nintendo" or "More successful Nintendo franchise that is being pushed."

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I'd be disappointed that we got Granblue's lesser known sibling. Like, I know Dragalia Lost is owned by Nintendo and all but if you're gonna get something from Cygames then just get Granblue Fantasy.
Request accepted.

This our Granblue representative:
Scene_evt190812_10_a.png

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm sure this has been shared with the thread a long time ago, but I found this illustration of Spring Man and his specials.

dd4388b-29e198b8-dfef-4feb-b2c9-56ddb84e2453.png

It doesn't make use of the other equipment like I would've preferred, but I feel like this is pretty creative for a moveset that focuses almost entirely on the springy arms. I really like the Spring Jump move, though I'm not sure how it would work in the air.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
What about the crazies from Fate like the guy who sold his car to roll Jalter or the guy who borrowed money from the Yakuza
I mean, that is their own problems to be fair, the worst I remember them doing was a few complaining on Twitter that Napoleon Bonaparte was made a bara bro instead of a loli for some reason.

Most of the time they're just horny. I know, I'm one of them.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Chrom will never be a good example because quite literally the only reason he's playable is just because they could make him a glorified alt costume of Roy, just without the hilt sweetspot and with Ike's up B.

All in all, it's just a consolation prize for him missing his one brief window of opportunity back in Smash 4, same thing with Dark Samus. So unless you're saying Rex could end up as an echo of Shulk....
When being playable is considered a consolation prize, I think the term has lost all meaning in a Smash context.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Smash speculation science hypothesis theory whatevers talk:

Me:

I realize we technically do use the scientific observation hypothesis etc. approach and often are wrong or are ridiculed before being correct or wrong again but goodness my brain.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Hey Digital, whats up?
and also, Id like that very much
Been doing fine. There's quarantine here because COVID and my country is in the middle of a tropical storm, but I live in a zone that really doesn't gets affected much by that kind of stuff, so I'm just here living my life as always.

Also spamming Palutena's NAir plenty and watching every series in Isekai Quartet to get the context of jokes whenI eventually watch it because I'm a KonoSuba fan.
Some love Live fans are the worst
As a Love Live fan myself, I can agree.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'm sure this has been shared with the thread a long time ago, but I found this illustration of Spring Man and his specials.

View attachment 273867

It doesn't make use of the other equipment like I would've preferred, but I feel like this is pretty creative for a moveset that focuses almost entirely on the springy arms. I really like the Spring Jump move, though I'm not sure how it would work in the air.
I've seen it, and I like it for what it is (the artist is P-Fritz, make sure you give credit). However, I do agree to wishing it made use of his other two starting ARMS.

Which is why I wanted to ask this: how's my moveset in comparison?
Intro: Spring Man falls down and lands on his arms, bouncing into his fighting stance.

Stance/Idle 1: His idle animation from ARMS.

Idle 2: Spring Man briefly looks towards the camera and smiles.

Idle 3: Spring Man flexes, mimicking one of his renders from ARMS.

Notable Palette Swaps:
-Default (Blue)
-Left input colors (Brown)
-Right input colors (Red)
-Down inputs colors (Cyan)
-Springtron (Black)
-Dr. Coyle (Green)
-Max Brass (Gold)
-Hedlok (White)

Walk: His walk from ARMS.

Jog: His jog from ARMS.

Dash: His dash from ARMS.

Damage: His damage animation from ARMS.

Jump: His jump from ARMS.

Crouch: Spring Man ducks behind his Toasters.

Weapon of Choice: ARMS, a special type of melee weapon designed for ARMS fights.

Jab: Spring Man uppercuts twice (8%, OK knockback), flurries attacks with his Toaster ARMS (1-3% each, small knockback), and then finishes with a punch with a fire effect (7%, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Spring Man reaches out one of his ARMS at a moderate distance (8%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Spring Man punches with one of his ARMS.
Up+A: Spring Man uppercuts above himself in an arc with his left ARM (9%, OK knockback)

Air+A: Spring Man spins around, letting his ARMS flail (11%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Spring Man extends his left ARM (9%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Spring Man extends his right ARM (9%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Spring Man arc uppercuts with his right ARM (12%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Spring Man punches diagonally downward (14% with a meteor effect, OK knockback); this mimics one of his renders from ARMS.

Dash Attack: Spring Man punches with a brief shockwave around one of his ARMS (9%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Spring Man semi-propels himself back onto the stage (8%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Spring Man spins around with his ARMS (13%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Spring Man punches with a multi-hit Boomerang, similarly to his Assist Trophy counterpart (17%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Spring Man punches both his Toasters together, created a burst of flames (18%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Spring Man takes his Tribolts and creates a huge shockwave of electricity that slightly shocks himself (21%, medium knockback)

Grab: A shortened version of the normal ARMS grab.
Pummel: Spring Man uses the Toaster ARMS to squeeze his target (2%)
Forwards+Throw: Byte & Barq’s throw (14%, medium knockback)
Down+Throw: Spring Man throws the target on the ground like he’s shooting a basketball into the hoop, burying the target (13%)
Back+Throw: An altered version of Ribbon Girl’s throw (14%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Spring Man’s throw (17%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Tribolt
; Spring Man fires three orange tip missiles out of one of his Tribolt ARMS (9%, small knockback). Hold B to fire the missiles out of both ARMS, which can stun a target (19%, OK knockback)
B + Forwards : Boomerang; Spring Man lets out one of his Boomerang ARMS. It goes an okay distance, and then returns to him (4%-7% per hit, small knockback). The angle can be adjusted as it goes out and returns.
B + Up : Slingshot Grab; Spring Man fully extends his ARMS towards the sky. When he grabs a ledge, he propels himself straight upwards. When he grabs a target, he propels himself towards them and bounces them away (15%, OK knockback), stopping him midair (1.3% recoil)
B + Down : Shockwave; Spring Man briefly summons a shockwave around himself that pushes back fighters (6%, small knockback) and nullifies any attack that gets close to him.

Final Smash: Rush Flurry; Spring Man flurries targets in a HUGE horizontal area (39%) and then deals a finishing blow that can hit multiple targets (20% each hit, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: When Spring Man hits 100% damage (or the last ¼ of his HP in Stamina Battles), he will glow red, which not only boosts his attack power by x1.3, but also slightly alters his specials:

-Tribolt can now Fire an endless amount of missiles, albeit only 4 at a time (6% each, OK knockback)
-Boomerang now envelops itself in winds, but with slightly less range and no ability to change its angle (24%, medium knockback)
-Slingshot Grab now goes the furthest Spring Man’s ARMS can go, as well as reduces the recoil taken when grabbing a target (.6% recoil; 19%, medium knockback)
-Shockwave now has a bigger radius (14%, OK knockback) and reflects projectiles, but needs a 3-second cool down.

Taunts
1: “Spring-a-Ling!” “Boi-oi-oi-oi-oing!" Spring Man’s selection animation from ARMS.
2: Spring Man mimics one of his renders from ARMS, where he punches towards the camera with his left ARM.
1+2: “Alright!” Spring Man flexes his right ARM.

Winposes
1: Spring Man’s victory animation where he handstands and jumps back onto the ground, raising his left ARM in victory.
2: Spring Man’s victory animation where he propels himself with his right ARM, and then raises his left one again.
3: Spring Man’s Grand Prix victory animation from ARMS, belt and everything.

Icon: The ARMS symbol.

Boxing Ring Title: The Springy Bouncer

Victory Music: https://youtu.be/R3ocoaGhKFw

Kirby Hat: Spring Man’s hair, mask and irises.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
What about the crazies from Fate like the guy who sold his car to roll Jalter or the guy who borrowed money from the Yakuza
I haven't heard those stories but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they happened.

View attachment 273867

Shout-out to Koopaul Koopaul for making these wonderful illustrations.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Considering K. Rool isn't an echo, it's more like Dark Samus wasn't as demanded as Ridley and Sakurai didn't want to move on from the idea that Chrom couldn't be unique.
Well yes, it's kinda obvious at this point that the only way for any character to prevail against irrelevancy and also get a fully unique moveset is to have overwhelming fan demand, like what we saw with Banjo and K. Rool. The characters below those, the ones that do have fan demand but not quite enough like Dark Samus and Chrom, weren't as lucky. Hence why they could only get by as echos.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Shout-out to Koopaul Koopaul for making these wonderful illustrations.
Thanks! I have an ongoing project of making Assist Trophies into fighters after seeing how sad some people were when the character they wanted became an AT. However, it might be possible that Spring Man won't just be an Assist for long.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's my take on the Spring Man's Special Moveset, with a focus on ARMS's mechanics:

• Neutral Special: Stretch Grab (feel free to insert a better name)
    • Spring Man launches both ARMS in order to try and grab an opponent from afar. It is a slow attack that is canceled out by any other attack, but allows him to recover by grabbing the ledge, or another opponent (grabbing an opponent in the air brings Spring Man to his opponent).
  • Side Special: Dash
    • Spring Man dashes in the direction pressed (in the air, it can be angled up or down). Holding the attack button while on the ground will cause Spring Man to manually charge his ARMS. If you let go while he is charging he will send out a deflect ring that clashes with attacks and nullifies projectiles.
  • Up Special: Air Grab
    • Stretch Grab, but angled at a 45 degrees. It allows Spring Man to grab ledges and opponents from underneath.
  • Down Special: ARM Switch
    • Brings up the ARM selection window around Spring Man. Spring Man has the choice of assigning the Toaster, Tri-Bolt, or Boomerang ARM to his left or right hand. This is done by letting go of the special button with the tumbstick in the following positions
      • For Left hand: :GCUL:(Toaster):GCL:(Tri-Bolt):GCDL:(Boomerang)
      • For Right hand::GCUR:(Toaster):GCR:(Tri-Bolt):GCDR:(Boomerang)

I think this could be fun, but it may make him more of a grappler than he should be, and I suspect a lot of people will tell me it's boring. If you'd like, you can make his Neutral Special his grab, and swap it and his Up Special for whatever you'd want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom