• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I am really feeling like another Microsoft character could happen. I’d wager Steve would be that character, but Master Chief has a slight chance too, whereas pre-Banjo he was a pipe dream.

I do think Chief’s lack of Japanese fan support will keep him out in the end. A lot of folks forget Banjo is popular in Japan too. Chief’s best chances weigh in on Microsoft’s desire to push Halo to the east with an inclusion in Smash, which I could actually see happen.
Yeah, I feel like at this point, Steve would be ahead, but the sheer idea of Chief no longer being a pipe dream is amazing already.

Ah, speaking of eastern popularity, how popular is A Hat in Time in Japan? I'm wondering if Hat Kid is a good Mii Costume contender.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I have to imagine all these spirits are just ways the devs can integrate as many series as possible into Smash, with only Sakurai still caring as much about their actual in-game function as from where they hail. :laugh:
I agree. There's no way we'd see this much representation if they were still doing trophies instead of spirits.

I suppose the question on most people's mind is whether or not spirits are supposed to be a consolation prize for not being a fighter or mii costume.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree. There's no way we'd see this much representation if they were still doing trophies instead of spirits.

I suppose the question on most people's mind is whether or not spirits are supposed to be a consolation prize for not being a fighter or mii costume.
The influx of third-party spirit events over the last few months when compared to the first almost year of less frequent first-party stuff gives me the impression that they deliberately began planning for these after having finalized the selection for the DLC, and now they're free to steadily incorporate series that didn't make it to the playable stage.

Whereas before, they held off so as to account for future possible developments.

Not saying they were all serious contenders. For example, I doubt Cuphead was. But the timing seems to line up.
Though I don't think being a spirit takes the character out of the running for showing up as a Mii costume. I mean, Cuphead is both.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Saying that when The Last of Us 2 comes out in a few months...
Then you have games like Resident Evil 3 and DOOM Eternal, which maybe don't sell 10 million but they're not small games if terms of sales.
I'm not a PS4 guy, so I don't remember any of those games except DOOM existing.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I know he started out as a manga character, but can we please, for the love of god, get Giorno Giovanna? The 2002 game GioGio's Bizarre Adventure came out before the anime adaptation of Golden Wind, and besides, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is pretty popular in Japan.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Although I miss trophies, I really enjoy spirits and love to see clever battle scenarios to represent whatever character.

I do wish we could do something with the PNGs themselves, like have some sort of scrapbook or picture collage mode with them. Kind of a return of sticker pictures from Brawl and trophy photo editing from Smash 4.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Imma need a P5 spirit event to get the remaining phantom thief members por favor.
Fittingly enough, if they did one for Three Houses, we'd likely get spirits for Petra, Dedue, Lorenz, and Flayn to complete the trios on each phase of Garreg Mach.

Though that'd still leave Gatekeeper out, sadly.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I may be a bit late but I wanna point out something about movesets and stuff:
With all due respect, I believe thinking Dante will come with weapon or style switching is just simply delusional.
First of all, I think "normal" Dante (Rebellion + Ebony&Ivory) has more than enough source material to make a proper
moveset, I do think there can be a couple of liberties to take for example using Ifrit for just a couple of moves, but not a entire different moveset based on that weapon, not even different specials.
Same with styles, there is not reason to implement them as an option, not only because separately they wouldn't work,
but because they can ba easily used as a part of the base moveset, swordmaster and gunslinger for different attacks,
trickster dodge animations and royalguard as a counter.
-> Bayo also uses different weapons, yet in Smash se only uses her guns.
-> One of the most important gameplay mechanics of Persona is the use of multiple Personas, yet Joker only uses Arsene.
->In BK transformations are also an important part of the gameplay, yet there is not even a spirit about any of them.
Dante has a great moveset potential because of the games he comes from, I could easily make a full-on moveset in 30 minutes and that
would be the sickest thing ever gameplay-wise, but I also would like people to think outside the box for a bit y'know? With Nick I wouldn't be able to come up with a moveset even if I tried to.

My point being, don't disregard Ace Attorney just because you think Phoenix doesn't have "moveset potential", its silly.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I know he started out as a manga character, but can we please, for the love of god, get Giorno Giovanna? The 2002 game GioGio's Bizarre Adventure came out before the anime adaptation of Golden Wind, and besides, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is pretty popular in Japan.
You silly goose. We already have a Part 5 character
43ab8e5707eb698c2ef43a63356da621.jpg

Faso115

Smash Lord
Just realized, this event will bring another spirit that shares name with another spirit present in the game: Devil.

Unless this one goes by "The Devil". In any case, i predict Mugman would be a Megaman fight. Tho i wonder if Cuphead and Mugman are separate fights or a single one. Cause lets face it, there is not much to differentiate the two.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I’m not even kidding I would actually die during the reveal trailer

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If we're getting a JoJo character in Smash, no way we're getting anyone else before the best JoJo character...

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
If we're getting a JoJo character in Smash, no way we're getting anyone else before the best JoJo character...
Not going to lie, ma chère ("my dear" in French), I thought you were going to show a picture of Jotaro, but when I saw Speedwagon, I just died of laughter. Speedwagon is a good character though. He did support two main characters before he died of a heart attack at age 89.

He remained single.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know he started out as a manga character, but can we please, for the love of god, get Giorno Giovanna? The 2002 game GioGio's Bizarre Adventure came out before the anime adaptation of Golden Wind
The first JoJo game was about Part 3. Not Heritage to the Future in '98, but the SNES JRPG in '93.

1581476109152.png

The first game that included a Joestar period was a Famicom RPG with Shonen crossovers in the late '80s, meaning if you really wanted to go deep, Joseph would be the pick, as he's one of the crossover characters.

1581476185051.png

That is if you're just trying to go by who got in games first. It'd probably be Jotaro though, he's the poster boy.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
In any case, i predict Mugman would be a Megaman fight. Tho i wonder if Cuphead and Mugman are separate fights or a single one. Cause lets face it, there is not much to differentiate the two.
If it's both then it's at least slightly spiced up by having to fight two Mega Man, maybe even respawning if you don't take them both out in a similar timeframe like the revive mechanic.

On the subject of Mugman; damn I wish we could alter the palette of more Mii Fighter outfit parts. Blue Cuphead would practically be Mugman. I get that maybe modifying third party character color schemes goes against what both companies agreed to do (ie license the character for use -as they appear in reference image #1A - for [Spirit/Mii Costume] with no modifications made without permission) but it shouldn't be a problem for the first party base costumes. Dunban's red vest, K. Rool's red cape (which could easily reuse Fighter textures?), the Mario overalls etc...

Maybe they could sell Mugman separately, but to make it up to people include a different song with him and have a third song for free if you own both?

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
FB_IMG_1581476606581.jpg

Someone posted this on Facebook.
10/10 want. Add Earthworm Jim and it'll be 11/10.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guess MandyCan can be ruled out then.

His run was great while it lasted. Too good to be true. Crash just doesn't seem like an early reveal.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Guess MandyCan can be ruled out then.

His run was great while it lasted. Too good to be true. Crash just doesn't seem like an early reveal.
Interesting. I'd like to hear your reasoning on why you feel that way about Crash. Is it because you expect him to be in the middle like Banjo? Or do you see him being saved at the end as some Big reveal?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I am now fully expecting an Undertale spirit event. Zelda would be a fitting stand-in for Toriel.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Made a personal tier list ranking possible Mii costumes. Rankings based on how much I'd like the Mii costume and how much I'd like the possible track they could bring with them (not that they have to have one, just brainstorming here).

S-Tier (Nearly as good as being an actual fighter): Palette Swap Ninjas (Mortal Kombat Theme), Ball Guy (SwSh Gym Battle), Monokuma (DANGANRONPA Remix), Wolverine
A-Tier (Amazing): Master Chief (Halo), Eiscue Hat, Nightmare, Dragonborn (Skyrim Theme), Cadence (Disco Descent w/Shopkeeper), Darth Vader (Imperial March)
B-Tier (Pretty good): Creeper Hat, Hat Kid (Your Contract Has Expired), Remade Geno (Beware the Forest's Mushrooms), Primid, Hatty Hattington (Battleblock Medley), Johnny Gat Mascot, Zeke, Sir Arthur
C-Tier (Alright, not too exciting): Shiren the Wanderer, Hollow Knight Hat, Ori, Skullomania, Castle Crasher Knight, Joe Musashi, Ryu Hayabusa, Strider Hiryu, Captain Rainbow
D-Tier (Meh): Steve (Sweden), Wonder Red, Viewtiful Joe, Red Bird Hat, Masked Man
F-Tier (I'd rather not): Hollow Knight, Freddy Fazbear
Wolverine and Darth Vader are there because I'd be so down with Mii Costumes for them even though they're never happening and S and A tier looked a bit empty compared to the other categories.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
For one, he was wrong about a Direct date that he just reaffirmed last night.
Oh nooooooo, a guy who was supposed to be valid and be legit wasn't legit all this time?

How could this be? :drsad: If only we had learned that people like this existed sooner!

Interesting. I'd like to hear your reasoning on why you feel that way about Crash. Is it because you expect him to be in the middle like Banjo? Or do you see him being saved at the end as some Big reveal?
Probably because E3 is where Nintendo draws hype the most. Ridley and Banjo got showed there.

However, Hero and Palutena also got shown. Hero was met with pretty harsh reception during the small gap between him and Banjo's reveal.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Leaker #1: "Okay, so we're getting a Direct this week, and..."
*No Direct.
Leaker #2: "Trust me, this Wednesday will be when we get the Direct."
*No Direct
Leaker #3: "The Direct is..."
*No Direct
Leaker #4: "Probably getting a Direct this week, but if I'm wrong, this doesn't effect my credibility."
*Direct airs
Leaker #4: "SEE YOU CAN TRUST ME!!!"

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean Crash just sounds like an character who'd be an big reveal for an special event. Gaming icon, has an legacy, big in the 90s as the former Sony mascot with an 3 way rivarly with Mario and Sonic.

E3 just fits perfect for an reveal like him.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
For one, he was wrong about a Direct date that he just reaffirmed last night.
Well, I guess Mandy could not after all.
Though we'll have to see. Known leakers like Sabi and Vergeben occasionally get things wrong, but for someone this new to the leaking scene, this is certainly a bad look.

7NATOR

Smash Master
They did reveal Cloud in a Regular November Direct, so it's not impossible for them to reveal Crash the same way

Granted i guess Smash DLC is a bigger deal than it was years ago, but eh

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Probably because E3 is where Nintendo draws hype the most. Ridley and Banjo got showed there.

However, Hero and Palutena also got shown. Hero was met with pretty harsh reception during the small gap between him and Banjo's reveal.
It's not like those characters were the only ones revealed at their respective E3s. Hero was obviously revealed alongside Banjo at E3 to appease both western and eastern audiences at once (although JP liked Banjo as well). Palutena was just shown off at the end of the Direct because E3 2014 was sort of the big blow out in regards to the custom moves feature. They revealed Mii Fighters at the beginning so it made sense to end it with Palutena. We still did get Pac-Man at E3, even if it was behind closed doors.

But that was like, nearly six years ago and Nintendo's marketing has vastly improved since then. I'm sure there's at least one 'bombshell' character in FP2 that will be revealed at E3, even if its bundeled with a lower key character like Arle or something.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Well, I guess Mandy could not after all.
Though we'll have to see. Known leakers like Sabi and Vergeben occasionally get things wrong, but for someone this new to the leaking scene, this is certainly a bad look.
It's especially damning for him because this would mark the first prediction he made (since his account was discovered) to be wrong. Basically, it makes it far more likely to be a private twitter trick where he made a bunch of predictions and deleted the wrong ones before making his twitter public.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
As a big Crash supporter who would've benefited greatly from Mandy's "leaks," I knew he was a phony from day one.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be fair, who else besides the third-parties, Villager, and maybe the Mario characters, would be noticeably better than Palutena? At the very least, Palutena was probably one of the best remaining characters they could've revealed, because Lord knows Robin, Shulk, or Duck Hunt would not do nearly as well.

As for Hero, that was more of a regional thing. Japan loved him far more than Banjo.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
That being said about Mandy, not a fan of how so many people are harassing him over this

Espically Sabi, acting like a ass and smug about this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom