• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Random question: If you had to pick 3 playable characters and make them Assist Trophies instead, who would you pick? Substitute AT for Pokeball for the Pokemon if you pick one of them. And excluding Little Mac and Isabelle since they already were ATs and made the jump
I'll go with Corrin, Incineroar and Piranha Plant.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Today is Cuphead spirit week. I guess we might see an Undertale Spirit event down the line as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

[twitter post]

Today is Cuphead spirit day. I guess we might see an Undertale Spirit event down the line as well...
cUpHeAd DeCoNfIrMeD

Surprisingly, this is the first Spirit Event to have a character that has a DLC Mii Costume in Smash that isn't from already represented franchises. Goemon & Altair spirit battles when?

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Today is Cuphead spirit week. I guess we might see an Undertale Spirit event down the line as well...
Ooh, cool! Hopefully Goemon, Undertale and Assassin's Creed get theirs as well!

Really looking forward to that Devil Spirit battle. But man, Microsoft is killing it with their Smash collabs, huh?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
At this point I don't see any clear pattern with spirit events. Now we got Cuphead, but who knows which franchise will get spirited the next time.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Yo, they totally read my post here when i wished Mii costumes could get spirits.

Clearly, Sakurai is hidden between us. But who could it be? DUN DUN DUN

Yo but really, Cuphead spirits would be boss. How many are we getting? Just four?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Today is Cuphead spirit week. I guess we might see an Undertale Spirit event down the line as well...
At least we know stuff related to DLC is eligible for more content. They could've tied this in with Cuphead's costume bundle if they really wanted to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But man, Microsoft is killing it with their Smash collabs, huh?
Does Microsoft own Studio MDHR? The rights to Cuphead seem to belong to the developers and not Microsoft themselves as seen in their copyright thing.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Does Microsoft own Studio MDHR? The rights to Cuphead seem to belong to the developers and not Microsoft themselves as seen in their copyright thing.
I think MDHR owns Cuphead. Microsoft doesn't own Studio MDHR, but I think they funded and/or published the game. At the very least Microsoft and MDHR must have some agreement for the game.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Goemon & Altair spirit battles when?
If we do get an Assassin's Creed event (which, if we're not getting a playable character, I think we're at least getting that), how would they handle it? Would it just be characters from one game (i.e. focusing on just the first Assassin's Creed game with Altair, Desmond, Maria, and Al Mualim), or would it have multiple protagonists from multiple games (i.e. Altair, Ezio, Connor, and Edward)?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Really looking forward to that Devil Spirit battle. But man, Microsoft is killing it with their Smash collabs, huh?
i really hope we get a Premium Ori costume and Ori Spirits next from them... and LIGHT OF NIBEL. OMG PLS.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
What I'm really gunning for is what Cuphead's own Spirit battle will be like.

If it uses his Mii Costume on Mii Gunner, and I don't see why it shouldn't, then DLC Mii Costumes and Fighters can be used for Spirit Battles, which opens up way more creative possibilities.

If it uses a different character from the puppet, then it's the best indicator of base game only.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Microsoft owns the publishing rights to Cuphead. Studio MDHR owns the actual IP.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Huh, wait a sec, I also realized something: is Cuphead basically the third western franchise to have content in Smash after Banjo-Kazooie and Undertale?

I wonder how much having basically two franchises from their company already in helps Steve and Chief's chances...

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I wonder if they'll ever again randomly drop a single new spirit in an event. I believe Peachette was the only instance of that, so maybe it could happen with someone like Gooigi in a spooky event or something.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Huh, wait a sec, I also realized something: is Cuphead basically the third western franchise to have content in Smash after Banjo-Kazooie and Undertale?
There's also Assassin's Creed, Rayman, Shovel Knight, and Shantae, from the top the top of my hed

Bit.Trip's Commander Video also had a trophy in 4

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What I'm really gunning for is what Cuphead's own Spirit battle will be like.

If it uses his Mii Costume on Mii Gunner, and I don't see why it shouldn't, then DLC Mii Costumes and Fighters can be used for Spirit Battles, which opens up way more creative possibilities.

If it uses a different character from the puppet, then it's the best indicator of base game only.
ohhh if we get a Monokuma costume, and then a Monokuma spirit with the costume being used AND the music track...

i wonder if any of the cuphead spirits will use floral fury as bgm, btw

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If I'm not mistaken, MDHR owns the game, but the deals for publishing go through Microsoft. I remember a few interviews where Phil Spencer mentioned it, plus the "our friends at Microsoft" moment.

I don't think MDHR absolutely needed Microsoft's approval for this... but I bet their talks with Ninty probably opened a few doors.

If we do get an Assassin's Creed event (which, if we're not getting a playable character, I think we're at least getting that), how would they handle it? Would it just be characters from one game (i.e. focusing on just the first Assassin's Creed game with Altair, Desmond, Maria, and Al Mualim), or would it have multiple protagonists from multiple games (i.e. Altair, Ezio, Connor, and Edward)?
Probably Altair, Ezio and two or three other iconic characters? Dunno...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Yes! my dream came true!
I know most people don't care about spirits, but I wish that nearly all series featured in Smash can get one spirit. The series that got included through Mii Costumes should get a spirit too, but I can see why they didn't want to lock spirit list completion behind a DLC paywall.

Goemon, sans, Altaïr, and Cuphead should all get a spirit and a spirit battle. Maybe they could have a "miscellaneous spirit event" that adds them in, but it's probably pretty doubtful.

Faso115

Smash Lord

I wonder how much having basically two franchises from their company already in helps Steve and Chief's chances...
If you mean indie yes.

But in the grand scheme of things, Cuphead is like 5th or 6th. We have Rayman and Shovel Knight

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If you mean indie yes.

But in the grand scheme of things, Cuphead is like 5th or 6th. We have Rayman and Shovel Knight
For whatever reason, I forgot Rayman even though I mentioned him indirectly in my previous post lol.

But to clarify: I was specifically talking about playable content. In that sense, I'm not counting Altair, since he came at the same time as Cuphead.

So what I'm saying is: only two western franchises had content in the form of a playable character (or costume) before Cuphead. Is that correct?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Today is Cuphead spirit week. I guess we might see an Undertale Spirit event down the line as well.
Omae wa mo shindeiru.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Studio MDHR is indepent and owns the rights to the Cuphead IP, but MS owns the publishing rights to the 1 and so far only Cuphead game. So MDHR can take Cuphead 2 to anyone else to be published if they wanted to including Nintendo or Sony.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Guess it shows the worth of that "longstanding, multiple-title Nintendo support" that some indie camps lean on when the indie series that has the most content in Smash is from a two and a half year old, one-game series that hasn't even been on the Switch for a year yet.

It's not about who was there first, or who's there most, it's about impact and popularity.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
At least we know stuff related to DLC is eligible for more content. They could've tied this in with Cuphead's costume bundle if they really wanted to.
I believe the reason why they did not tie the spirits to the Cuphead costume bundle DLC is because they want all the Spirits to be obtainable without real money purchases.

Even if you do not own the fighter pass, the spirits included with them can eventually be bought in the ingame store with gold

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
The Spirit events are pathetically easy, as they never give you any new Legend Spirits. That's why I love the DLC Spirit Boards.
We actually had one legend spirit during the Sword and Shield spirit event, which was Zacian and Zamazenta:

maxresdefault.jpg

But even then this particular spirit battle was quite easy for a legend-class spirit battle

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have to imagine all these spirits are just ways the devs can integrate as many series as possible into Smash, with only Sakurai still caring as much about their actual in-game function as from where they hail. :laugh:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord

I am really feeling like another Microsoft character could happen. I’d wager Steve would be that character, but Master Chief has a slight chance too, whereas pre-Banjo he was a pipe dream.

I do think Chief’s lack of Japanese fan support will keep him out in the end. A lot of folks forget Banjo is popular in Japan too. Chief’s best chances weigh in on Microsoft’s desire to push Halo to the east with an inclusion in Smash, which I could actually see happen.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I feel like a boomer when I read god duck hunt or sword bayonetta because I have to think about who they are. I find out after thinking about it for like 5 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom