• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
No, they've announced them the day before they happen. March 2018, September 2018, February 2019, and Septmeber 2019 were all announced the day before. Now that I think about it that's literally every major direct for the last two years, so take that what you will.
Huh. Interesting. Thought there was more general Directs that over the past two years.
Again people are craving it and it still feels pretty barren the first six months this year for Nintendo and like one said with AC there's still stuff we don't know about the game.
Same with Xenoblade remake as that is supposedly coming out in May. We know new graphics and a cut area added but what else? Any combat changes, will a few plot holes answered, quality of life improvements and all that.
I'm fine with Smash news but I can wait til E3 for that.

Krankees

Smash Ace
If that's the case, then people are discounting him because of it, which shouldn't happen. Like, at least be honest to yourselves about your character's chances. It's what I do with Sora, and look at how I've turned out!

View attachment 261919
I think it's still fair to believe Phoenix could get in over Dante. Sure it's more likely that Dante gets in but there's a chance. Though I'm still not sure how ready I am for another heartbreak.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think it's still fair to believe Phoenix could get in over Dante. Sure it's more likely that Dante gets in but there's a chance. Though I'm still not sure how ready I am for a heartbreak.
Especially given being an honorary Nintendo character and history with Nintendo especially their consoles.

D

Deleted member

*yawn*

Good morning everyone.

Why are there so many people onlone right now? Announcements or somethin'

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But does Nintendo care... that is straw grasping at best. Nintendo’s only priority is if they buy the pass. They will reveal the character when they need to. This just seems like you shifted argument because you realised the other one didn’t hold up well and also Sakurai has constantly stated to buy it if you are confident in the purchase of it time and time again
People might see it as not worth it if the characters are as controversial or more controversial than Byleth. I don't think that Nintendo wants a lot of canceled preorders.

D

Deleted member

Oh...I see.

Btw, nothing from MandyCan I say. Never was a feasible source in the first place XD

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
People might see it as not worth it if the characters are as controversial or more controversial than Byleth. I don't think that Nintendo wants a lot of canceled preorders.
But this goes back to my previous point. They will be roped back in if it ends up being a character they care about so really it’s unlikely Nintendo can lose at least not largely

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But this goes back to my previous point. They will be roped back in if it ends up being a character they care about so really it’s unlikely Nintendo can lose at least not largely
Nintendo can't rope back all of them. If they wait until E3 then Nintendo will lose financially.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
> Y'all saying Dante wouldn't be a fun character to play as

Dante is a character oozing with fun moveset potential, what with DMC3 having 6 different styles to switch from and Dante having an absolutely ridiculous number of weapons to draw from (including a motorcycle chainsaw for DMCV Dante).

Unless Sakurai can't find a way to incorporate the style change and weapon change systems, I honestly believe he'd go for Dante over Phoenix if we're talking solely about moveset. Don't count the funny pizza man out so fast.
Allow me to toss my hat in the ring:
What can be better than a pizza loving, sword wielding, gun tooting Demon Hunter...

A food loving, sword wielding, high speed bead shooting goddess/Mother to all/Demon Hunter.

If we're talking movesets, Ammy has that in spades, as well as a weapon stance system. Not only that but both Ammy and Dante have style, but out of the two Ammy's the only one with grace.

Don't tell me seeing a trail of flowers and leaves everywhere Ammy goes wouldn't be graceful (let alone her moves), and we still have the fact she can draw anything into existence, the moveset potential is crazy.

Also whether Ammy or Dante makes in, all Sakurai needs to do is base the weapon stance quirk off of Pokemon Trainer. Instead of switching characters you just switch weapons but I'm probably oversimplifing it and maybe it's easier said than done.

Also keep in mind that what I'm about to say may be a reach...
b627953bb619362d4a00e6aa4f4ff9d75fbaa12f_hq.gif
But Banjo and Kazooie received new merch before being announced for Smash. Well new merch for Ammy is on the way...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...vine_descent_resin_statue_pre-orders_now_live

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...d_nendoroid_and_figma_at_wonder_festival_2020

So that would mean good things for her in term of relevancy.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
:ultfalcon::ultduckhunt::ultisabelle::ultpiranha::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:

Just saying.
I'd go with an analysis on why this doesn't really counter anything, but I will note that "just saying" doesn't make a coherent point. Just what is even your argument? Also, Piranha Plant literally has moves from the various games its species and itself were in. Same with Wii Fit Trainer. In fact, only Captain Falcon is 100% made up, and Duck Hunt still uses Light Gun games, though I agree the character is most made up. The rest, not really.

But again, what's your point being made?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
:ultfalcon::ultduckhunt::ultisabelle::ultpiranha::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:

Just saying.
Aside for most them having moves that originate from their games, they're all first party characters. Find a third party character that is like them.

You know what I meant, obviously Dante has a boat-load of crazy weapons and stuff all his own but he'd still be super combo centric like her.
Now I can understand the fear. Bayonetta was a new character in Smash 4 and she turned into the most overpowered character in Smash 4 and wasn't made to be complete garbage until Ultimate came around.

It could happen with Dante and the Smash team has made no effort to make big changes to really balance the roster but it should be fine. If he is that over centralising, I think they might do a little extra nerfing on him to make him more balanced... if the outcry is big enough and the balancing team cares enough to do anything about it which I'm sure they will care.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Allow me to toss my hat in the ring:
What can be better than a pizza loving, sword wielding, gun tooting Demon Hunter...

A food loving, sword wielding, high speed bead shooting Demon Hunter/Goddess/Mother to all.

If we're talking movesets, Ammy has that in spades, as well as a weapon stance system. Not only that but both Ammy and Dante have style, but out of the two Ammy's the only one with grace.

Don't tell me seeing a trail of flowers and leaves everywhere Ammy goes wouldn't be graceful (let alone her moves), and we still have the fact she can draw anything into existence, the moveset potential is crazy.

Also whether Ammy or Dante makes in, all Sakurai needs to do is base the weapon stance quirk off of Pokemon Trainer. Instead of switching characters you just switch weapons but I'm probably oversimplifing it and maybe it's easier said than done.

Also keep in mind that what I'm about to say may be a reach... But Banjo and Kazooie received new merch before being announced for Smash. Well new merch for Ammy is on the way...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...vine_descent_resin_statue_pre-orders_now_live

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...d_nendoroid_and_figma_at_wonder_festival_2020

So that would mean good things for her in term of relevancy.
*throws door on floor*

DID SOMEONE SAY AMMY MERCH?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I would say Devil May Cry could feasibly get the Spirit Event treatment with the port of Devil May Cry 3 coming out. To say I’m a tad nervous would be an understatement.
I would be beyond disappointed if it does :(

I only care about Dante and 2B at the moment. If neither of them get in, can't say I'm excited for anyone else.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aside for most them having moves that originate from their games, they're all first party characters. Find a third party character that is like them.
Captain Falcon?

Also Sakurai can be unpredictable. He could find a way to pull off an moveset such as taking elements from Marvel vs. Capcom and things from the Ace games basing it off those.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Thanks for confirming that. I know you've got a bit of a reputation for translating things like this, and I've always appreciated your additional takes on things like this. Is there any nuance to the time verbiage that Sakurai uses or anything special about the specific word choice, like if it just doesn't translate to English particularly well, or is it just a super straightforward word? Sorry, I really like translation stuff...
That tweet was fairly straightforward. Nothing really indicates the amount of time in his words. I would have translated in the same way too.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean as Knight mentioned Falcon is only one whose moveset is made up and not from his games.
Though you still aren't exactly clear on what your argument is even at this point? As I said, "just saying" isn't an argument. Actually be clear in what you mean.

Cause if the argument is made-up, then only one is a legitimate example, and hasn't been done outside of R.O.B. at this point(who is even less easier to believe then Falcon, as he was a bounty hunter). I'm asking you to be more clear on what your examples mean. Maybe we can understand your point easier.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Captain Falcon?
Yeah he has an completely original moveset but can you find a third party character that has a completely original moveset?

Keep in mind we're talking about Phoenix Wright and why him being a third party character would result in him having a moveset that borrows heavily off from his home series.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah he has an completely original moveset but can you find a third party character that has a completely original moveset?

Keep in mind we're talking about Phoenix Wright and why him being a third party character would result in him having a moveset that borrows heavily off from his home series.
Also Sakurai can be unpredictable as you never know what he could pull off. He could find a way to pull off an moveset such as taking elements from Marvel vs. Capcom and things from the Ace games basing it off those.

Only Sakurai decides and don't be surprise if he breaks things like he does with fan-made rules.

For example Wright's neutral B could be "Objection!".

Also this.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Isn't Pac-Man's moveset largely original?

Or so I've heard at least..

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isn't Pac-Man's moveset largely original?

Or so I've heard at least..
Yeah, it's the only real example of it.

Basically, instead of moves he uses, a lot of them are just stuff that flows well or some cameos among other Namco(was mainly Arcade till Ultimate added a few extra sprites like Heihachi).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Also Sakurai can be unpredictable as you never know what he could pull off. He could find a way to pull off an moveset such as taking elements from Marvel vs. Capcom and things from the Ace games basing it off those.

Only Sakurai decides and don't be surprise if he breaks things like he does with fan-made rules.

For example Wright's neutral B could be "Objection!".

Also this.

He also has a move that can work as a final smash if given a lot more flare to it:

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it's the only real example of it.

Basically, instead of moves he uses, a lot of them are just stuff that flows well or some cameos among other Namco(was mainly Arcade till Ultimate added a few extra sprites like Heihachi).
A lot of his moveset SHOULD'VE had tidbits to the other games he's actually been in. The ps2 gems such as the Pacman World series or (regrettably) the Pacman & the Ghostly Adventures series would've made a good base for his specials such as utilizing the different power pellets. Though I admit, Pacman probably wouldn't be the iconic 'big brain' character without the moves he's given, now would he?

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I find it kinda funny or weird that people seem to think that if FP6 doesn't get released during the next general direct (whether it be this month or March), then it HAS to be shown during E3.

I dunno, isn't possible that maybe they could do a standalone trailer revealing FP6 similar to how they revealed Byleth during April, perhaps? I guess one thing that could make this iffy is that April is closer to E3 and therefore showing a character during April could make it harder to show off atleast 2 characters during E3, which is generally how many Smash characters we get atleast during E3 whenever Smash is relevant.

Still, if they have go for some joker-tier reveals (ie no actual gameplay or models shown), then I don't think such a thing would be impossible, really.

I mean, we could very well not see the next character until E3 (which seems kinda like a bad idea considering the wait) or maybe we WILL get the next character during the next direct. I just don't know if those are really the only 2 options I guess.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo can't rope back all of them. If they wait until E3 then Nintendo will lose financially.
No they won’t. If it’s a character the person would have bought if they didn’t lose interest then they’d buy it. The amount of people that will lose interest would be such a small amount that it won’t have a major effect on business. This just makes it look like you are saying it because you want it to happen. You could at least provide some good reasoning to make it not seem as such

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A lot of his moveset SHOULD'VE had tidbits to the other games he's actually been in. The ps2 gems such as the Pacman World series or (regrettably) the Pacman & the Ghostly Adventures series would've made a good base for his specials such as utilizing the different power pellets. Though I admit, Pacman probably wouldn't be the iconic 'big brain' character without the moves he's given, now would he?
Well, for a few more of his normal attacks sure. But his Up-Air is similar to the Air Kick in Pacman World 2. And his Side-B is pretty similar to the Pac-Dot trails in that same series. While stuff like the Fire Hydrant takes a stage element from his own games an re-contextualizes it so he can use it as a move. The same could be said for the Bonus Fruit, taking something from his own games and giving it an offensive element to it. And obviously any biting moves comes from his debut.

Maybe if the bounce was a Down-Air and they found a way to put in the Rev-Roll, that'd be neat too.

Although obviously Pac-Man's more of an all-around Namco Arcade character, with his grabs and all. Maybe they should have given him a Mist Step too.

D

Deleted member

But Banjo and Kazooie received new merch before being announced for Smash. Well new merch for Ammy is on the way...

So that would mean good things for her in term of relevancy
I know it might be an alien concept for some of you but game characters usually get merch even when they're not coming to Smash

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think Sword Bayonetta is more likely, but I'm personally holding out for God Duck Hunt.

That being said, if I could have anyone from Fighting Game Nintendo, it would be Feelings Mega Man.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think Sword Bayonetta is more likely, but I'm personally holding out for God Duck Hunt.

That being said, if I could have anyone from Fighting Game Nintendo, it would be Feelings Mega Man.
How is Amaterasu "God Duck Hunt" if she doesn't have an avian partner? ;P

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Maybe. But not a ton. There's already people who (kind of foolishly, if you ask me) bought volume 2 before we got to see the first character. So the die-hards gave them cash already. I can see the major downside being that a lot of the less invested player base almost forgetting there's new content if there's not a ton of news until E3.

But considering Byleth came out less than a month ago. We're nowhere near that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom