• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
February: Sonic the Hedgehog, My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising
March: Bloodshot, My Spy, Spawn releasing, Kombat Pack 2, Possibility Nintendo Direct and FP6
April: My birthday, Antlers, Maybe FP6
May: Scoob!, Fast & Furious 9
June: Finally moving into my own place, E3 and FP7
July: Free Guy
August: Bill & Ted Face the Music, The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard
September: Maybe FP8
October: Maybe FP8
November: Godzilla vs. Kong, Maybe FP8
December: Maybe FP8

Plenty of things to look forward to this year besides Smash DLC.

Last edited:

Super Bario

Smash Cadet
I’m honestly more interested in Xenoblade DE news and what else Nintendo has planned for the rest of the year over FP6. (Probably because we just got Byleth and I’m not expecting Smash news right away.)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I know I shouldnt say this an an animal crossing fan but yall should focus on something else other then the fighters pass. The only difference between AC and the FP is we at least know of some of whats in AC

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know I shouldnt say this an an animal crossing fan but yall should focus on something else other then the fighters pass. The only difference between AC and the FP is we at least know of some of whats in AC
It's a relevant difference, though. You know something about a game you want to preorder.

Knowing what direction FP2 will go in is an important process in the decision making. Not everyone is going to buy it for the sake of completion(which is people who prefer it that way and tourney owners) either. Some just want an idea of what's going on. It really shouldn't be on sale without a reveal unless the reveal happens within a month itself to make sure it maximizes sales. Joker came out fast enough for that to work.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
prime 4 and bayo 3 are way overdue to be shown. bayo 3 had some development changes and prime 4 is taking a weird amount of time to show.
animal crossing is basically guaranteed the next direct as is xendoblade DE.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The only thing I need to know about Animal Crossing is if I can still fish and catch bugs. Given the answer is always yes, unless you're building a happy home, or having an... ugh... amiibo festival, I always grab the game.

They can put me on a deserted island or make me mayor, I'm still just gonna be fishing. :p

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
The only thing I need to know about Animal Crossing is if I can still fish and catch bugs. Given the answer is always yes, unless you're building a happy home, or having an... ugh... amiibo festival, I always grab the game.

They can put me on a deserted island or make me mayor, I'm still just gonna be fishing. :p
"Mayor, please do your taxes. Put the fishing pole down and finishes your taxes"

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Do you guys know what today is?

Today is Tuesday, which means that a Smash Ultimate event is going to be announced later tonight.

Will it be a base game Spirit event, another tournament, or are we going to see some more deaths?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Will they let your boy peep that Metroid Prime 4? That'd be what I'm the most interested in.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Today is Tuesday, which means that a Smash Ultimate event is going to be announced later tonight.

Will it be a base game Spirit event, another tournament, or are we going to see some more deaths?
Well Direct or no Direct.

I guess something will be happening later today anyway....

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"Mayor, please do your taxes. Put the fishing pole down and finishes your taxes"
You knew I ran on a purely pescatarian platform when you voted for me. If you wanted results, you should’ve voted for the squirrel. Now watch me catch this HORSE MACKEREL

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
At this point I'm not even itching for a Direct for a Smash character reveal. There's just so much they need to dump about 2020 release plans.
  • It's been what, one year since Prime 4 got switched to Retro and restarted? I'm not expecting it to be shown anywhere in 2020 due to the scope of those games. 2021 E3 maybe.
  • I also want to know what Retro did for the last ~four years but I don't expect we'll see it in the next direct.
  • SMT and Bayo 3 definitely due to be shown. They're overdue probably and I expect them out this year.
  • What could they possibly show in regards to Animal Crossing that would be worthwhile? You pick fruit and catch fish. There is no challenge. Same as last time. I've muted all mentions of Animal Crossing on Twitter and Reddit.
  • IS's next project now that FE:3H DLC is done. FE 6/7 remakes? Paper Mario? Advance Wars? CODENAME STEAM SWITCH PORT?!?!?
  • Xenoblade 1, sure but also Monoliftsoft's big new hotness. Probably still in the oven for 2021 but maybe an announcement?
  • When the next big thing from Mario/Zelda is gonna hit. BotW2 in 2020? I bet it's Mario Kart 9. Sales numbers don't lie.
  • Mercurysteam/2D Metroid?
and of course,
  • Little over 2 years since the Takahashis moved off Mario Tennis Aces. They don't putz around. Give me EPD2/Camelot's next game. Why is it taking so long.
There's just so many teams/companies with their heads down at or around Nintendo that we haven't heard a peep from in like 1-2 years. There's barely anything at all announced for 2020. Give me some news.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
prime 4 and bayo 3 are way overdue to be shown. bayo 3 had some development changes and prime 4 is taking a weird amount of time to show.
animal crossing is basically guaranteed the next direct as is xendoblade DE.
Prime 4 not showing up at this point isn't strange if we keep in mind that the game was, according to Nintendo, restarted from the beginning. While they announced that at January last year, the development was probably restarted a few months before the official announcement. In any case, with 1 year and a few months of development, not having seeing anything from the game at this point isn't really strange.

We don't know the scale of the game, but if I had to guess I believe that luckily, Nintendo cares about Prime 4 result and quality. If that wasn't the case, I don't think they would had the development to be restarted, because that's a loss for Nintendo in terms of time and money. In any case, assuming Metroid Prime 4 will have high production values for a Nintendo game, which would be natural if we look at the original Prime trilogy, and the restart of the project, we would be very very lucky if we see anything about Prime 4 at the next direct.

E3 or The Game Awards could be good moments to show something about the game. But honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath for that, specially for E3, where at best I could see a really short teaser for the game.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Can Isabelle be wearing a Yoshi costume while saying this?

...I don't remember all the details of New Horizons, including Isabelle's role.
well on thr cover" it shows her showing A villager off the plain so I think she is a guide that works for Nook

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

I'm gonna say it's a Spirit event with new third-party spirits.

What do you mean by “base game Spirit event”?
A spirit event featuring Spirits from the base game, such as the shorts one around Christmas.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

What do you mean by “base game Spirit event”?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the drought of general Directs hits harder depending on your personal fandom. As someone who's never really been into Pokemon and is fairly indifferent to Fire Emblem, for me there hasn't really been any interesting Nintendo related announcements since the Fall (with Nindies Direct back in Decemeber being the most I've actually gotten interested hype wise). Even the Animal Crossing news that's gotten out has been far more of the mixed variety than anything to really get pumped about.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If I had to guess a random third party getting the chopping block - it’d be either Spike Chunsoft (possibly Danganronpa but at least give us a premium Monokuma Brawler costume first), Falcom (Legend of Heroes maybe) or uhhhhhhhhhhhh NIS (Disgaea spirits?)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Can Isabelle be wearing a Yoshi costume while saying this?

...I don't remember all the details of New Horizons, including Isabelle's role.
"Mayor, we have a complaint. The new villager that moved into Smashville last month hasn't paid his taxes yet. You know which one I'm talking about, right? The green lizard who has a lot of eggs around his house. No idea what he does with those. Oh, and he also ate most of the peaches from the town's trees."

Hoo boy. Tonight we might witness the execution of another third party, then. Hope it's not Phoenix, Arle or Travis.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would say Devil May Cry could feasibly get the Spirit Event treatment with the port of Devil May Cry 3 coming out. To say I’m a tad nervous would be an understatement.

We won’t know until later today though. Should be interesting.

Also, I finished NieR Automata. Truly a great game with some interesting bits of wisdom to chew on. I really like 2B, and while some might call me biased for it, I think she’s definitely in the pool of characters that could be chosen for Smash. I would like it to happen, so I hope it does. I just don’t think I’m really like, “IT’S HAPPENING” just yet.

I’ll go deeper into that later.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I would say Devil May Cry could feasibly get the Spirit Event treatment with the port of Devil May Cry 3 coming out. To say I’m a tad nervous would be an understatement.

Also, I finished NieR Automata. Truly a great game with some interesting bits of wisdom to chew on. I really like 2B, and while some might call me biased for it, I think she’s definitely in the pool of characters that could be chosen for Smash. I would like it to happen, so I hope it does. I just don’t think I’m really like, “IT’S HAPPENING” just yet.

Would be nice for us to get a Switch port of Nier Automata so that game can reach more people if she does join Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

February: Sonic the Hedgehog, My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising
March: Bloodshot, My Spy, Spawn releasing, Kombat Pack 2, Possibility Nintendo Direct and FP6
April: My birthday, Antlers, Maybe FP6
May: Scoob!, Fast & Furious 9
June: Finally moving into my own place, E3 and FP7
July: Free Guy
August: Bill & Ted Face the Music, The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard
September: Maybe FP8
October: Maybe FP8
November: Godzilla vs. Kong, Maybe FP8
December: Maybe FP8

Plenty of things to look forward to this year besides Smash DLC.
Glad I'm not the only one excited for Godzilla vs. Kong. Though I'm not sure how'll that movie will turn out. I am looking forward to it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On the other hand this kinda makes me hope. Increases Wright's chances more and less competition! :pimp:

No offense to Dante supporters...

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
All I'll say about another third party spirit event is that at least we had more than a week to mentally prepare unlike last time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can kinda see a Star Ocean First Departure R Spirit Event happening with spirits of Roddick, Millie, Ilia, Ronyx and maybe Dorne. Game came out last December after all and it’s free promo for the Star Ocean series so why the heck not

plus Neku would live to see another day

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Glad I'm not the only one excited for Godzilla vs. Kong. Though I'm not sure how'll that movie will turn out. I am looking forward to it.
Another kaiju/Godzilla fan I take it? You definitely are not alone man. I'm probably among the biggest fanboys on this site and is my most anticipated film this year.

This is why this site should have group clubs for you, me, Mamboo, Lesley and JCD regarding particular fandoms.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think the drought of general Directs hits harder depending on your personal fandom. As someone who's never really been into Pokemon and is fairly indifferent to Fire Emblem, for me there hasn't really been any interesting Nintendo related announcements since the Fall (with Nindies Direct back in Decemeber being the most I've actually gotten interested hype wise). Even the Animal Crossing news that's gotten out has been far more of the mixed variety than anything to really get pumped about.
I dislike Fire Emblem and I can't be arsed with Animal Crossing so these past couple of months have been a snore fest for me. The only game series that really holds my interest right now that Nintendo pays any attention to is Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

I can only hope for a miracle that Nintendo decides to take another chance with F-Zero, Star Fox or the most unlikely of them all, another Eternal Darkness game. Hopefully those rumours about Paper Mario going back to how they used to be are true, otherwise I'm probably not going to look forward to the next direct.

On the other hand this kinda makes me hope. Increases Wright's chances more and less competition! :pimp:

No offense to Dante supporters...
The Ace Attorney series seems like it'd have a bigger chance of being a Spirit event than Devil May Cry though. Dante seems like a more realisable fighter than Phoenix. Not saying that I wouldn't like Phoenix but there is the chance the opposite could happen and I see that outcome being more likely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Another kaiju/Godzilla fan I take it? You definitely are not alone man. I'm probably among the biggest fanboys on this site.

This is why this site should have group clubs for you, me, Mamboo, Lesley and JCD regarding particular fandoms.
Haha yeah, love the Big G, the movies were great, and who dosen't enjoy giant monsters going around wrecking stuff? The original movies were great and I grew up with Godzilla so seing the series back was great. Yeah a club here for fans would be cool. I think we're okay but honestly cool too see other fans.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

While not impossible, based on the third party spirits we got so far I would say third party franchises with a decent or important presence in Nintendo platforms are more suited for spirit boards, if they won't get a playable character.
Maybe it sounds a bit stupid, but that's my feeling about the spirit thing at the moment. In other words, I would be more surprised if franchises like Devil May Cry, Danganronpa or Half-Life get spirited before IPs like Ace Attorney, Professor Layton or Ninja Gaiden.

Not that it's impossible, of course. In the end, no one was expecting Resident Evil getting the spirit treatment.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

One of the greatest things about Automata is the fact that you'll enjoy it 101% if you played the first game... but if you didn't, you still get the 100% enjoyment factor. There's... two certain places near the end that made me scream when I got to them. The people who played the original Nier will know.

Really hope it gets a Switch port one day. And that Gestalt/Replicant gets a remake, because that game was phenomenal on its own.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Haha yeah, love the Big G, the movies were great, and who dosen't enjoy giant monsters going around wrecking stuff? The original movies were great and I grew up with Godzilla so seing the series back was great. Yeah a club here for fans would be cool. I think we're okay but honestly cool too see other fans.
Believe me there's more Godzilla/kaiju fans on here then you might realize.
The Ace Attorney series seems like it'd have a bigger chance of being a Spirit event than Devil May Cry though. Dante seems like a more realisable fighter than Phoenix. Not saying that I wouldn't like Phoenix but there is the chance the opposite could happen and I see that outcome being more likely.
Still pulling out for my favorite attorney. Not only does Ace Attorney have more history with Nintendo being on its consoles but he's also considered an honorary Nintendo character. Plus Sakurai likes fun unique characters which Wright fits given his statement of characters being more important to be fun and at the same time is also an recognizable character.

Just remember we all thought Resident Evil was guaranteed and look how that turned out. The same could happen here with Devil May Cry.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
At least it'll be something. Lately I've been feeling more scared about his series not being represented at all.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I do think it's really in Nintendo's best interest to reveal the first fighter of Volume 2 sooner rather than later. Like, yes, on paper we just got Byleth and the wait until E3 isn't that long. But my issue is that since Terry was released in November of last year, we've only had a 2 week stretch between learning who Byleth even was and their release before returning right back to general radio silence. I've always championed the idea that a consistent roadmap that keep customers informed who is coming next is the best option for Nintendo/Sakurai, which is obviously just armchair game advertising, but it just sounds like such a good idea. Going from November 2019 to June 2020 with a less than 2 week period of conversation of being able to discuss a new Smash fighter just seems absurdly non communicative even by Nintendo's standards considering how much they've let Smash consistently be up front in the news cycle since Ultimate was first announced.

Also, PushDustIn's translation of Sakurai's Tweet regarding the next Fighter's Pass is that Challenger Pack #6 would take "Some time" to reveal not "a little while" which I see so many people run with. I generally trust PushDustin's translations in that regard, and I would generally conclude that "some time" is a shorter amount of time than "a little while" in terms of just semantics. Maybe A Ayumi Tachibana can comment upon this situation since I know they've pointed out stuff in translations before?

I get it, we're ridiculously spoiled children who have had one of the most convenient hype cycles ever and we should be able to wait, and yes, Nintendo certainly has more than Smash (though I think on average people expecting a 2020 blowout are also being too optimistic ironically after 2019 had so goddamn much packed in and that's why they've kind of pushed Smash and Pokemon DLC as the big things in 2020)... but this is a whiplash inducing pivot to go from constant updates and information to near constant radio silence regarding Smash. People can talk about Joker all they want, but we knew he was coming at least and we also got a major update in Piranha Plant in between Joker's reveal and release, and we also got an update that pointed to 3.0 being a huge update with new modes. Joker's period was not that bad really in retrospect. My big fear is that, yes, we're waiting until E3 2020 and then they're just going to shadow drop that one character and we'll go back to radio silence and that will be indicative of Nintendo drip feeding us additional Smash characters and news.

Also, Nintendo has positioned Fighter's Pass Volume 2 in a big way that would surprise me for it to be so absent from 2020. More Smash DLC was arguably the biggest or second biggest announcement during that September Direct, and like I said, Nintendo seem to be promoting it and Pokemon DLC pretty hard as a couple of their biggest things in 2020.
PushDustIn's translation is accurate.
But remember, Sakurai said only few more to come for FP2 before Byleth direct then we got 6. So I don't know.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok crazy new theory - we’re getting a Konami spirit event with a franchise that has no playable characters in Smash.

maybe Goemon, the Mii costume is there. Or Contra? Silent Hill? DDR?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ok crazy new theory - we’re getting a Konami spirit event with a franchise that has no playable characters in Smash.

I would like Silent Hill, but it would probably be Goemon or Contra.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I think we're due for an inexplicable appearance from the Rocket Knight Adventures franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom