• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thino

Smash Master
Kracko: He'd pursue the opponent whose in the lead and deal damage to him/her. The stronger the target's lead, the stronger the attack is; the attack can even cause KOs. If the leading player releases Kracko, he'll chase after the player in 2nd place, but his attacks won't have KO potential, nor will it do a lot of damage.
I totally approve

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'm guessing that the WII U version will be bigger than Brawl as far as roster, but yeah, I'm seeing 3DS as being as big as Brawl at the most, and probably closer to Melee.

And Kracko for Assist Trophy is made of win.

Steam

Smash Hero
Maybe I have, or maybe I'm just not keeping up with Pokémon anymore. In any case, I never heard of him before he was announced for Brawl :)
he wasn't all that known before brawl because he was just recently created. but today he's one of the franchise mascots. thanks in no small part to smash bros.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad has to be playable in SSB4. There is no better way to capitalize on the success of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Nintendo's Mario 25th Anniversary campaign, especially Super Mario All-Stars, than to add Toad as a playable character. The Smash Bros. series relishes in nostalgia while showcasing the latest and upcoming Nintendo games at the same time.

@ Jonas

It makes no sense to replace Snake with Raiden just because Konami isn't doing anything with the Metal Gear series. Why would they replace the main character of the whole Metal Gear series with a character who was the main character in one Metal Gear game?

User33

Smash Journeyman
Hahaaha. When Sakurai reveals that Smash 4's roster will only be "about" the same size as Brawl's roster, things are not going to end well. I posted a bit that Sakurai said about how due to the 3DS version, "the usual areas of enjoyment for Smash Bros. will be handicapped", and everything got angry at me.

Keep in mind these were the same people who felt that Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U should have the same roster, and ignored my arguments that the 3DS version would be unable to reach the amount of the its console brethren. They belched stuff like, "it would not be fair to those who only have the 3DS version to miss out on characters." Well I guess Sakurai is going to grant their wish, only in a twisted fashion (much less characters for the Wii U version).

Everyone really got angry. I feel sorry for Sakurai when he finally outright says that Smash 4's roster will be about "the same size" as Brawl's roster. The casual fanbase will go nuclear when they realize they won't be getting their four Star Fox characters, five Sonic characters, six Zelda characters, and 10 Marios characters (which include Geno and Waluigi). Get a bag of popcorn ready.
After reading the interview again, where are you getting that the 3DS and Wii U versions will be the same? Isn't he essentially saying that the 3DS version will be handicapped compared to the Wii-U version?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Hahaaha. When Sakurai reveals that Smash 4's roster will only be "about" the same size as Brawl's roster, things are not going to end well. I posted a bit that Sakurai said about how due to the 3DS version, "the usual areas of enjoyment for Smash Bros. will be handicapped", and everything got angry at me.

Keep in mind these were the same people who felt that Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U should have the same roster, and ignored my arguments that the 3DS version would be unable to reach the amount of the its console brethren. They belched stuff like, "it would not be fair to those who only have the 3DS version to miss out on characters." Well I guess Sakurai is going to grant their wish, only in a twisted fashion (much less characters for the Wii U version).

Everyone really got angry. I feel sorry for Sakurai when he finally outright says that Smash 4's roster will be about "the same size" as Brawl's roster. The casual fanbase will go nuclear when they realize they won't be getting their four Star Fox characters, five Sonic characters, six Zelda characters, and 10 Marios characters (which include Geno and Waluigi). Get a bag of popcorn ready.
Link? Also, of course the 3DS one will be handicapped. It's fair because it wont be the same game! The WiiU will be a real sequel while the 3DS is a gimmick. He already said he could easily add 50 characters on the WiiU version.

@user33: yes that's what the article says. Chrono misread it, obviously influenced by his desire to feast on chaos.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Quite frankly, this has me very disappointed and that's an understatement (And I want to leave it at that and not explode over anger). I'd ask for proof, but considering that you're one of the most logical members of the SSB4 discussions on the site (And quite possibly the Internet), I going to believe what you say and that we should turn our attention towards other stuffs.

It sucks even more that I don't want the 3DS or the Wii-U rosters to be the same and knowing that they will, things are not going to turn out well for the Smash community.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
After reading the interview again, where are you getting that the 3DS and Wii U versions will be the same? Isn't he essentially saying that the 3DS version will be handicapped compared to the Wii-U version?
It is inferred that they will at least be the same in terms of characters because Sakurai said that he wants players to be able to build up their characters on the "small screen" before taking them to the "big screen" to show off their skills.

majora_787

Smash Hero

I honestly, as far as big wants, only have Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, and some Kid Icarus character. TBH, I don't care if they replace... more minor characters... as long as they have substantial replacements or something.

And I'd LIKE for the SSB3D version to have its own more unique, smaller roster while SSBU gets its own larger roster. But I figured that you would be able to send characters between them on the rosters after you've unlocked some menu option or something. I dunno.

User33

Smash Journeyman
It is inferred that they will at least be the same in terms of characters because Sakurai said that he wants players to be able to build up their characters on the "small screen" before taking them to the "big screen" to show off their skills.
But couldn't this be one area where the 3DS version is "handicapped"? Only being able to build up a handful of the console version's roster?

I think its too early to jump to conclusions. I agree that people expecting 50 roster slots are unreasonable, but I have my doubts that the 3DS and Wii-U versions will have the exact same roster. I'd wait for more information

Here's the link for anybody who wants to see it:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/09/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Quite frankly, this has me very disappointed and that's an understatement (And I want to leave it at that and not explode over anger). I'd ask for proof, but considering that you're one of the most logical members of the SSB4 discussions on the site (And quite possibly the Internet), I going to believe what you say and that we should turn our attention towards other stuffs.
That is my interpretation based off of these comments:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/09/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

I think in terms of "core content" (characters and stages) the games will be the same. However, the 3DS version will probably have more single player modes (unique break the targets and boards the platforms for every character), while the Wii U version will focus more on multiplayer and "extras" (trophies, music, etc.)

I am keeping my expectations really low for Smash 4. Really low.

RVD_fan

Smash Ace
Stage Idea: Fracktail

In Super Paper Mario, Fracktail is the boss of the Yold Desert. To beat him, you have to jump on his back and hit him while he's flying through the air. So for the area in Smash, you would start off on the ground, and after a little while you'd see Fracktail flying around in the background, and eventually he would come after the characters. As he swoops by, anyone who doesn't jump on his back gets KO'd. You ride along as he does circles and flips and whatnot, eventually coming back to the ground.

Jonas

Smash Champion
he wasn't all that known before brawl because he was just recently created. but today he's one of the franchise mascots. thanks in no small part to smash bros.
EXACTLY
Mewtwo was at least notorious for being the "final boss" in his game as well as the main villain in the first Pokémon movie (a movie series which everyone outside Japan has long since stopped caring about), BEFORE Melee came out.

@ Jonas
Why would they replace the main character of the whole Metal Gear series with a character who was the main character in one Metal Gear game?
Well they're doing it in the upcoming Metal Gear Rising, aren't they?
Snake also got kind of killed off (dying not long after the events of MGS4), so maybe Konami don't really want to focus on him anymore.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: Let's have damage control on this thread and change topic so this doesn't go to hell.

Not sure why people hate Chronicles and Masterpieces. Masterpieces was the reason why I bought The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Kirby's Adventure off the Virtual Console and it's nice knowing a bit more about Smash's history.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
For Classic Series i want:
Mega Man the Wily Wars - Fire Man & Heat Man
Mega Man 2 - Wood Man
Mega Man 2 - Dr. Wily Stage 1
Mega Man 3 - You Get A Weapon!
Mega Man 3 - Spark Man
Mega Man 4 - Pharaoh Man
Mega Man 5 - Charge Man
Mega Man 6 - Plant Man
Mega Man 7 - Opening Stage
Mega Man 9 - Tornado Man
Mega Man 10 - Galaxy Man

For X Series i want:
Mega Man X - Armored Armadillo
Mega Man X - Spark Mandrill
Mega Man X - Chill Penguin
Mega Man X2 - Flame Stag
Mega Man X2 - Counter Hunter Stage 1
Mega Man X3 - Opening Stage
Mega Man X3 - Volt Catfish
Mega Man X3 - Vile MK III
Mega Man X4 - Sky Lagoon
Mega Man X4 - Jet Stingray
Mega Man X4 - Magma Dragoon
Mega Man X5 - X vs ZERO
Mega Man X6 - Infinity Mijinion
Mega Man X8 - Burn Rooster
Mega Man X8 - Optic Sunflower
Mega Man X8 - Jacob Elevator

Bonus Round: Mega Man X8 - WILD FANG

you must listen to all of them or you won't know how good it is... even if you already like a song on this list, click it anyway and you will like it even more... trust me.

in all this time i went to find music, you all stopped talking about it? sigh...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wait! When I read "he wants players to be able to build up their characters on the 'small screen' before taking them to the 'big screen' to show off their skillls" I got some ideas what he could mean by that...

- it is possible that the 3DS version will have a feature where you create your characters using Miis which is how we "build up [our] characters" before we can transfer our Miis to the Wii U version to "show off [our] skills"?

- it is also possible that the 3DS version will have a strong focus on single-player modes, especially the training modes to "build up [our] characters" before we can "show off [our] skills" on the Wii U version?

- it is also possible that the 3DS version will make full use of the stickers so we can "build up [our] characters" and then we can "show off [our] skills" on the Wii U version?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
We're all just going crazy over stuff that can be interpreted a thousand ways. Time to calm down. It isn't good for our health.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wish someone could ask Sakurai if he plans to have the same roster for the 3DS and Wii U versions. If he does, then the Wii U version will be handicapped in terms of the roster size (due to the limitations of the 3DS).

Well we will find out in a year from now.

Steam

Smash Hero
EXACTLY
Mewtwo was at least notorious for being the "final boss" in his game as well as the main villain in the first Pokémon movie (a movie series which everyone outside Japan has long since stopped caring about), BEFORE Melee came out.

That was then. this is now. Mewtwo has kinda died down. regardless of how he obtained it, Lucario's easily one of the most known and recognizable pokemon there is. and pokemon is the cash cow of nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Wait why exactly would it be a bad thing for the Smash community if both Smashes share the exact same roster?
Like ChronoBound said, this will handicap the Wii-U version's character roster severely. I absolutely would hate to imagine a >30 (Less than 30) roster for the Wii-U version when the Wii-U version can clearly handle three times as much space as the 3DS version.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Like ChronoBound said, this will handicap the Wii-U version's character roster severely. I absolutely would hate to imagine a >30 (Less than 30) roster for the Wii-U version when the Wii-U version can clearly handle three times as much space as the 3DS version.
Totally agreed.

I don't think it would be in Nintendo's best interest to have them share rosters. Having different rosters allows for the potential for owners of both copies to gain characters that they wouldn't have in one version otherwise. That just sounds like something they'd do.

Besides from what we've heard so far, Sakurai wants to take advantage of the Wii U's power.

I'd say to think they will share the same exact roster is a bit absurd.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
If both Pikachu and Jigglypuff stay (And I'm 100% sure they will), Mewtwo should be forgotten about, unless he's used in something like Boss Battles. We don't need more than two 1st gen reps, that's just too much.

reserk

Smash Cadet
Hate to break it to you, but Geno is almost as unlikely as Cloud.

I could see Kojima begging Sakurai to put Snake in again
even if thats the case, cloud or any other FF character will not make it in. at the very least paper mario could represent the mario rpg series.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
That was then. this is now. Mewtwo has kinda died down. regardless of how he obtained it, Lucario's easily one of the most known and recognizable pokemon there is. and pokemon is the cash cow of nintendo.
Mewtwo is more recognizable than Lucario. Old and new know Mewtwo appose to just new.

And you could easily say the same for Mewtwo for the second part.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pikachu - the mascot of the whole Pokemon series
Jigglypuff - fulfilling fan service on nostalgia for SSB 64
Meowth - milking on the popularity of the Pokemon anime show
Mewtwo - fulfilling fan service for Mewtwo's return
Zoroark - milking on the success of Pokemon Black/White and the popularity of the Zoroark movie and to replace Lucario
Pokemon Trainer (5th gen) - milking on the success of Pokemon Black/White and to replace the 1st gen starters

4 1st gen Pokemon and 4 5th gen Pokemon. Why not?

SSB64 - 2 Pokemon
Melee - 4 Pokemon
Brawl - 6 Pokemon (counting the starters)
SSB4 - 8 Pokemon?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Tell me what isn't his. The only ones I can think of are Up B, Side B, and Down B.
There's the Forward smash (Fighter Kirby), Up throw and Back throw as well (Suplex Kirby). The Forward throw is similar to the back, but I don't remember him doing it in his games. The jab attack may also be Fighter Kirby's, but I'm not sure. Smash isn't strictly by the book, everyone.

Too bad Nintendo hated the DKC series.
Are you sure about that? They brought most of it back and I read an interview...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1100039p3.html
Its among the last few questions.

Meanwhile at Nintendo HQ: "Curse those crafty brits for making Donkey Kong better than we ever could! IMPOSSIBRUUUU!!!!! Donkey Kong Japanese! Not Engrish!"

F*ck I hate Japanese honor and the like or whatever inexplicable bs makes then hate the only incarnation of DK that didn't blow as well as everything about those games. "Kremlings bad! Crocodiles silly and Engrish! Evil Ape Ninjas much better! Evil Ape Ninjas Japanese! Tiki Tong much cooler than K. Rool! K. Rool dumb and fat!"

Goddammit.
Funny rant. What do you think of that interview?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
People really think the 3DS can't handle more than 30 characters. SSF4 works and it has more than 30.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I was under the impression that K.Rool was supposed to look dumb and fat.

But really, I can never understand why people want him, so I'm kind of glad that DKCR didn't have him. Of course DKCR seems to make it so that there won't be a new rep from that series, since it consolidated around DK and Diddy, but then again, I don't feel the series needs anymore from a character stand point. Sort of like Kirby.

Also this topic sure ballooned up fast. Its not even a week old.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
Tell me what isn't his. The only ones I can think of are Up B, Side B, and Down B.
His Jab is based off Fighter Kirby. His Forward, Back, and Down throws are based off Suplex Kirby. His Up-Throw is based off Ninja Kirby, and his Forward Smash is based off Fighter Kirby.

Thino

Smash Master
Totally agreed.

I don't think it would be in Nintendo's best interest to have them share rosters. Having different rosters allows for the potential for owners of both copies to gain characters that they wouldn't have in one version otherwise. That just sounds like something they'd do.

Besides from what we've heard so far, Sakurai wants to take advantage of the Wii U's power.

I'd say to think they will share the same exact roster is a bit absurd.
I think we're underestimating a little bit the 3DS and the way they can rearrange the game to have a roster that is still superior to Brawl's in terms of size even on the 3DS version of the game.

But I wouldn't really be bothered either way.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
and melee kirby had a dash move from Kirby's Adventure of a Fire type

UberMario

Smash Master
There's the Forward smash (Fighter Kirby), Up throw and Back throw as well (Suplex Kirby). The Forward throw is similar to the back, but I don't remember him doing it in his games. The jab attack may also be Fighter Kirby's, but I'm not sure. Smash isn't strictly by the book, everyone.
His jab is indeed from the fighter form. (The original had incredible range compared to it's Smash form though) And the Forward throw is a Suplex Kirby move, like you said.

Also, the dash attack that he does in Brawl is a move you can only perform as Yo-Yo Kirby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom