• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
It's not that they weren't useful, it's that the game was designed in a way that prevented much use from them. Carrie performed the same mode of transport and safety as the Yoshi, Cudge gave Mario an alternate form of attack, Thudley gave Mario and co. their ground pound attacks, etc.
I suppose it was bad wording. I should have said that they don't have as many uses? The partners from the previous games had their out of world abilities, but they also had their in battle abilities, which could be transfered over to what I was proposing. The partners from SPM though, not so much.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Also as a side note i just beat Sonic Colors. It was gay but better than most of the sonic bs they have been putting out.

What are the chances of a stage from it getting on?
As a 3rd Party franchise, I'd say the odd of any other Sonic stages getting aside from the famous Green Hill Zone are slim.

Only places as memorable as GHZ have a shot, I'd think. The Death Egg, the ARK, etc. But nothing from Sonic Colors screams "memorable."

And besides that, Sonic Generations and other Sonic games will be more current by the time SSB4 comes out.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm suprised anyone is even questioning Paper Mario's Uniqueness.. Have you played the Paper Mario series? Plays nothing like Super Mario Bros. Now, the question isn't so much if he can't be a clone (because just look at his freaking game), but if he will be a clone. I could see him being the new Doctor Mario. They don't have time for another character so they add in a clone or preferrably a costume.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
google battle ends all

also the one poll you used had pikachu at 48th. I guess no more pikachu in smash?

also zoroark was like 70th. well **** his relevance.

because it's a poll, we should blindly trust it and assume it's all encompassing and was conducted in a way that can apply to smash selection. (It wasn't)
Just because you google something doesn't mean you like it. It could mean you don't know who "Lucaio" or "Mewtwo" is so what do you do? You google it.

Seriously it's like saying Osama Bin Laden should of been president in 2004/2008 because more people searched his name on google then Bush/Obama.

Segastorm

Smash Apprentice
I'm not questioning his uniqueness @Shortiecanbrawl, I just found it hard to think of a good moveset for him, and yeah, there's bound to be some Mario clone, and definitely another Link clone.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure screams memorable to me.

Also you have to live under a rock, or just be born and still not know how to talk or walk to not know Lucario and Mewtwo.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Lucario IS popular. One of the most popular pokemon ever. But so is Deoxys, and Suicune. . . and Lugia. Do you see them as playble characters in smash? Time goes on and characters become less realivant and Viable. There are few exceptions to this rule, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Pikachu, Charizard, Meowth ect. They are the few exceptions.

Steam

Smash Hero
Just because you google something doesn't mean you like it. It could mean you don't know who "Lucaio" or "Mewtwo" is so what do you do? You google it.
the google battle wasn't serious. but it shows the number of hits. meaning they both overall have been talked about roughly equally. and mewtwo has had much much more time and still has less hits : P

it DOES cover popularity better than a general pokemon poll on one site... but it's still not a perfect poll...

@shortie- that's true, but lucario is a character that fits well in smash and is unique. and he is a franchise mascot :I

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nobody needs statistics to show Pikachu is the most well-known pokemon there is. Popular, who knows. IGN voters like Charizard more, apparently, but you know. Popularity and Well-known-ness are a little different.
That's so true. Look at Meowth. One of the well-known Pokemon of all time... even Sakurai knows that. On the Brawl Dojo, he mentioned that Meowth is considered a major Pokemon - which makes me ask this: How is Meowth a major Pokemon if it wasn't even important in the games? The obvious answer: because of the anime. Not only that, but out of all the Pokemon trophies in both Melee and Brawl, only Pikachu and Meowth get acknowledgement of being some of the more famous ones.

[COLLAPSE="Trophy Descriptions"]Pikachu's Melee trophy description:
It's safe to say that Pikachu is the most famous and popular of all Pokémon. It has electric pouches in both cheeks; when in danger, it shoots electricity at its enemies. Although Pikachu can evolve into Raichu by exposure to a Thunderstone, many trainers like Pikachu so much that they don't let it evolve.

Meowth's Brawl trophy description:
A Scratch Cat Pokémon. It's one of the most famous Pokémon and very fond of things that glitter--the gold medallion on its head could be seen as an indicator of this infatuation. There are many Pokémon that resemble cats, but Meowth is the only one that can use Pay Day to receive coins at the end of battle. It evolves into Persian.[/COLLAPSE]
Yes, Meowth is one of the most famous Pokemon of all time but it isn't very popular when compared with the likes of stronger/powerful Pokemon like Mewtwo, Zoroark, Deoxys, Lucario, etc. This leads me to wonder if Meowth is not highly requested for SSB4 because of its base stats when compared to the base stats of the other Pokemon who have higher fan demand.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
To tell the truth, the only Pokemon I knew about before playing Brawl were Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Lucario. Not sure if that means anything.

I would prefer to have Lucario playable, because he is a pretty good fighter. Mewtwo was bad, and it sucked to play as him.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
the google battle wasn't serious. but it shows the number of hits. meaning they both overall have been talked about roughly equally. and mewtwo has had much much more time and still has less hits : P

it DOES cover popularity better than a general pokemon poll on one site... but it's still not a perfect poll...
No it doesn't. Google just shows how many times people had search Lucario/Mewtwo for ANY reason. They could of been searching up a Lucario picture for example for a "Lucario sucks" photoshop and the same could go for Mewtwo. A popularity poll would be less ambiguous in meaning.

And this is the first link that shows up when I googled "Mewtwo vs Lucario popularity". http://www.nsfcd.com/index.php?topic=32679.0

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I suppose it was bad wording. I should have said that they don't have as many uses? The partners from the previous games had their out of world abilities, but they also had their in battle abilities, which could be transfered over to what I was proposing. The partners from SPM though, not so much.
To me, the charm of the Paper Mario series is that they act as much as a platformer as they do an RPG, and having the partners have their own set of moves outside of battle serves to be far more familiar than their moves in-battle.

To me, having interchangeable partners for Paper Mario takes away from the notoriety Pokemon Trainer has. I'd prefer if PM had specials derived from his partners' outside techniques, as they would be better equipped for a fighter that also has an essence of platforming like Smash has. That way, all three games can be represented by partners.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You are good at ignoring me. Is it because you can't answer anything I say? Or you just don't want to look at the poll I talked about.

It's not even hard to look for Browny's post when all you have to do is namesearch Browny in this thread LOL

Steam

Smash Hero
No it doesn't. Google just shows how many times people had search Lucario/Mewtwo for ANY reason. They could of been searching up a Lucario picture for example for a "Lucario sucks" photoshop and the same could go for Mewtwo. A popularity poll would be less ambiguous in meaning.
that's not a number of searches. it's the number of hits you get when searching for them.

@majora- I know pikachu is one of, if not THE most popular pokemon. but I just used his 48th ranking to show that the IGN poll probably isn't very accurate.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
You are good at ignoring me. Is it because you can't answer anything I say? Or you just don't want to look at the poll I talked about.

It's not even hard to look for Browny's post when all you have to do is namesearch Browny in this thread LOL
I thought it was because you were referring to the google battle link. If it's something different then I'll see.

refugee

Smash Journeyman

Nope I wasn't ignoring you now that I see it was the google battle poll that I had been talking about for the past couple of posts. Looks like you were the one ignoring me. : \

Thino

Smash Master
Nobody needs statistics to show Pikachu is the most well-known pokemon there is. Popular, who knows. IGN voters like Charizard more, apparently, but you know. Popularity and Well-known-ness are a little different.
This is true , but unfortunately for Pokemon, I believe only very few pokemon have that status.

It's not like we know for sure which one of the 2 criteria is used the most to determine who between Lucario and Mewtwo would make it

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
and then you see Mewtwo still sucked even if he had his Melee Physic's in Brawl. :awesome:
Good one. Just because you can't play as him doesn't mean he isn't worth having in SSB4. Mewtwo would destroy a brawl character if he had Melee's physics. Heck, almost any Melee character would pwn Brawl characters.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
google battle is a much better relevance detector than one IGN poll that had pikachu at 48th
Iirc it wasn't the only poll that placed Mewtwo above Lucario and no it's not. I already list the reasons why that method is complete BS but you keep bringing it back up and you don't bother to address my points about why Google Battle is a poor method to indicate popularity in something.

Steam

Smash Hero
Both polls are definitely flawed though. so there really aren't any accurate polls to determine it... so blah.

you also never responded to my point that GOOGLE BATTLE DOESN'T GIVE THE NUMBER OF SEARCHES. IT GIVES THE NUMBER OF HITS.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Both polls are definitely flawed though. so there really aren't any accurate polls to determine it... so blah.
Google battle isn't even a poll. It just racks up how many times a term is searched. It's not asking you a question to answer.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure screams memorable to me.
Eh, I myself can't see how Emerald Coast is any more familiar than City Escape, or Seaside Hill.

If a locale has appeared in more than one Sonic title, then that's memorable to me. The Death Egg was the main point of interest in Sonics 2 3 and Knuckles, and the ARK was a major location in SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog.

Heh, if that's memorable to me, then Sonic Generations is going to unleash a major pool of stage choices.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
for the 5th time, IT GIVES NUMBER OF HITS.
And for the 5th time just because someone viewed it doesn't mean they like it. Is that really such a hard concept to understand?

Different topic:

Wasn't the Layton twitter account proved to be false?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Unless a massive poll spanning across a large range of places is conducted by a legitimate source no poll really matters. Heck, my poll is only taken by Smashboards users, it most definitely does not reflect the entire population of gamers. Just the hardcore. . . on this site. . . who have come to the SSB4/WiiU/3DS threads. .

Segastorm

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I myself can't see how Emerald Coast is any more familiar than City Escape, or Seaside Hill.

If a locale has appeared in more than one Sonic title, then that's memorable to me. The Death Egg was the main point of interest in Sonics 2 3 and Knuckles, and the ARK was a major location in SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog.

LOL, if that's memorable to me, than Sonic Generations is going to unleash a major pool of stage choices.
If they don't put in another one of the 2 memorable stages that you just mentioned, I will flip out.

Steam

Smash Hero
And for the 5th time just because someone viewed it doesn't mean they like it. Is that really such a hard concept to understand?

Different topic:

Wasn't the Layton twitter account proved to be false?
for the love of god... hits= the results that the search gives you. searching lucario gives you more results on google. more or less meaning that he's more discussed and relevant. which means SOMETHING when you consider their ages.

but it's still not accurate enough to be even close to conclusive.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
To me, the charm of the Paper Mario series is that they act as much as a platformer as they do an RPG, and having the partners have their own set of moves outside of battle serves to be far more familiar than their moves in-battle.

To me, having interchangeable partners for Paper Mario takes away from the notoriety Pokemon Trainer has. I'd prefer if PM had specials derived from his partners' outside techniques, as they would be better equipped for a fighter that also has an essence of platforming like Smash has. That way, all three games can be represented by partners.
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting. Do you mean you'd want Paper Mario to just have a set of specials that use a partner's outside of battle abilities? (Like say Parakarry's is the Up special, Koops/Kooper's is a neutral one, Bobbery/Bombette is a side special, and down special would be...uh...Thudley's ground pound?)

I guess that could work, though I fail to see how its really any different outside of being more limited. Most of the extra platforming things don't really apply to Smash, since while there is a increased focus on platforming, it still doesn't apply to the abilities of several of the partners. Also, while I said the mechanic is similar to PT's Pokemon Change, its still inherently different in the fact that Paper Mario would stay constant outside of his specials.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Good one. Just because you can't play as him doesn't mean he isn't worth having in SSB4. Mewtwo would destroy a brawl character if he had Melee's physics. Heck, almost any Melee character would pwn Brawl characters.
I'd really like to see Mewtwo try to beat C-S tier in Brawl (even though I say this I don't think Melee is bad and I actually enjoy it more than Brawl)

Heh, if that's memorable to me, then Sonic Generations is going to unleash a major pool of stage choices.
Good point on City Escape it could be a toss up between those two. Seaside Hill? ....please don't bring up that one big glitch they call Sonic '06. You're right about the ARK.

If they don't put in another one of the 2 memorable stages that you just mentioned, I will flip out.
Yes, expect Seaside Hill.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
For a time Nintendo ran a Prof. Layton twitter feed. At one point he said he was going to be in a "Smash Tournament" or something like that, and he mentioned how he was going to have to defeat an electric mouse, pink puffball, living doll (and other winks at SSB characters and/or people often requested) using only his fencing abilities and his wits.

majora_787

Smash Hero
For a time Nintendo ran a Prof. Layton twitter feed. At one point he said he was going to be in a "Smash Tournament" or something like that, and he mentioned how he was going to have to defeat an electric mouse, pink puffball, living doll (and other winks at SSB characters and/or people often requested) using only his fencing abilities and his wits.
Ohh... that? Yeah, that was proven fake. o_O Doesn't help that it 'confirmed' two characters that weren't in Brawl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom