• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
People really think the 3DS can't handle more than 30 characters. SSF4 works and it has more than 30.

Yes, but SSF4 is a different style of fighting game, more traditional. Might be different data needs than SSB-3DS will.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
His Jab is based off Fighter Kirby. His Forward, Back, and Down throws are based off Suplex Kirby. His Up-Throw is based off Ninja Kirby, and his Forward Smash is based off Fighter Kirby.
LOL I just said that on the last page, but thanks for clearing up the Ninja/Fighter Kirby parts. I wasn't too sure about its origin when I replied.

EDIT: Thank you UberMario as well.

Steam

Smash Hero
Mewtwo is more recognizable than Lucario. Old and new know Mewtwo appose to just new.

And you could easily say the same for Mewtwo for the second part.
the old know lucario unless they don't follow the series anymore... in which case they certainly aren't part of the target audience. the new know both mewtwo and Lucario but generally favor lucario more as he is/will be what they "grew up" with. the newer generation tends to favor the newer stuff and the older generation tends to favor the older stuff. And the population pyramid suggests the newer generation is bigger, even before factoring in that some people lose interest as they age.

@achednick- mewtwo won't be in ahead of lucario if they're pleasing fans... especially now that lucario is so much more known. at the very least they'd keep meowth out and put mewtwo for him.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yes, but SSF4 is a different style of fighting game, more traditional. Might be different data needs than SSB-3DS will.
All things considered, I think the 3DS is certainly powerful enough for a roster of 30 characters or so. There are a lot less cinematic specials to worry about, and 30 isn't exactly a huge roster size anyway.

AND. Seriously? Come now. If they programmed Mewtwo as much as they did into Brawl, I'm SURE... 90% sure he has a chance of being in SSB4. He had Final Smash sound effects and his own victory theme, FFS! o_O Don't tell me they weren't planning to go somewhere with that.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Well, how many special moves can you think of for him that make sense?
Paper Mario has at least a dozen of partners and moves to help him out. Special attacks could be created based off his partners.

Neutral B could be his Hammer attack. Could be chargeable too, like DDD's Jet Hammer.

Side B could be his Super Hammer attack from Paper Mario TTYD

Up B could be any of his partners that helped him cross gaps, just given a vertical boost. Parakarry, Yoshi, Carrie, any of those 3 could work.

Down B could be the shell toss attack from either Koopa partner, or maybe both, and the mechanics of the attack change depending on which randomly decided Koopa is being used.

Netural aerial could be Barry's shield attack.

Dash Attack could be his Super Spin attack from the first Paper Mario.

Down aerial could be his ground pound or his Spin Pound from the first PM.

Stickballing, but you get the idea.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
well, that was a sigh of relief... i thought you were refering to smash.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Funny rant. What do you think of that interview?
I do try. Regardless of what Miyamoto says it doesn't change the fact that the core DKC elements get neglected in every representation. I also remember an interview with Miyamoto and and another Nintendo dude (Tanaka? Something with a t), and the reporter asked if Kremlings in the game. They laughed and the T guy said "there are no crocodiles in this game. The nerve! Raaaaaaaage! Miyamoto also felt the need to scrap the whole Kong family, all the Kremlings, and all of the Animal Buddies in Jungle Beat. I don't care what he says, I know he resents good DK being English.

:phone:

Thino

Smash Master
Might require smaller data like it might require bigger. We don't know.

So lets not draw conclusion that sharing the same roster directly means less characters than the game would have if it was only the WiiU version.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
That was then. this is now. Mewtwo has kinda died down. regardless of how he obtained it, Lucario's easily one of the most known and recognizable pokemon there is. and pokemon is the cash cow of nintendo.
Lucraio popularity on the other hand has PLUMMETED! Also, Mewtwo is the most well known pokemon EVAR! Wait, you want a source? Well no, you don't get one. Why? It doesn't really matter, and it won't change anyone's opinions, but damnit I'll continue to waste everyone's damn time by interrupting any discussion with talks of Lucario I mean Mewtwo. I do this in hopes of changing someone's opinion even though I just said it won't work.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'd figure people who don't watch/play pokemon anymore aren't part of pokemon's target audience. read better lol. I'm not insane
Business wise, it's good to look at everyone as the target audience.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Lucraio popularity on the other hand has PLUMMETED! Also, Mewtwo is the most well known pokemon EVAR! Wait, you want a source? Well no, you don't get one. Why? It doesn't really matter, and it won't change anyone's opinions, but damnit I'll continue to waste everyone's damn time by interrupting any discussion with talks of Lucario I mean Mewtwo. I do this in hopes of changing someone's opinion even though I just said it won't work.
Uhh... That'd be Pikachu. :3

Steam

Smash Hero
I only say it when someone else brings it up. calm the **** down. there's really no way to get a proper source... lol. I'm still shocked most of the people here lucario is obscure though. First place I've ever seen that happen lol.

@shortie- that is true, but even with smash the newer gen of gamers will be larger. and Lucario being in smash makes non pokemon fans aware of him. newer non pokemon fans probably won't know about mewtwo much at all. though yeah it has been run into the ground.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Uhh... That'd be Pikachu. :3
I don't have a source that says it but trust me anyways! In terms of popularity; Mewtwo > all other pokemon This is from personal experience btw.

I only say it when someone else brings it up. calm the **** down. there's really no way to get a proper source... lol. I'm still shocked most of the people here lucario is obscure though. First place I've ever seen that happen lol.

@shortie- that is true, but even with smash the newer gen of gamers will be larger. and Lucario being in smash makes non pokemon fans aware of him. newer non pokemon fans probably won't know about mewtwo much at all. though yeah it has been run into the ground.
Your reasoning for Lucario for staying is because he's one of the most popular pokemon ever. If this is true all you have to do is find a popularity poll (from a major site) that shows Lucario beating out Mewtwo. That's it.

Steam

Smash Hero
I don't have a source that says it but trust me anyways! In terms of popularity; Mewtwo > all other pokemon This is from personal experience btw.
I respect your mocking opinion I guess : P

but you don't have to get so blatantly mad about it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Possible bosses anyone?

Tiki Tong: Players have to avoid its hand attacks and destroy its hands. When the hands are gone, aim for the head. Its followers will also join the fray to cause trouble.

Kyurem: It attacks with various Ice-related attacks. Players need to take it down while avoiding those attacks. Beware of its Freeze Shock and Ice Burn along the way.

3rd party related...

Bahamut: The mighty dragon possesses high health and powerful attacks. His Mega Flare is so powerful that one hit will instantly KO anyone who doesn't have launch resistant boosts; it's basically Bahamut's version of Tabuu's Off-Waves. Fortunately, the move takes time to execute, and its range is not as huge as the Off-Waves. It can also be avoided, just by being behind Bahamut.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
To use a popular line from the Fire Emblem community...Personal experience means nothing. It's all about statistics, baby. (Sorry for coming off as a douche lol)

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am... 9001% sure to the contrary. :3

ANYWAY. I still think that the two versions should be able to get a couple characters from each other... Apparently it's possible that the DS version will support character customization and you will be able to send them to the console, but... that's just a possibility right now...

Thino

Smash Master
To use a popular line from the Fire Emblem community...Personal experience means nothing. It's all about statistics, baby. (Sorry for coming off as a douche lol)
I have yet to see in this thread , statistics as to how Lucario is more popular than Mewtwo.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Pikachu has been used in merchandising ever since Pokemon's conception, has been used in multiple commercials, has been a main character in the cartoon series including the Black and White saga, where Pikachu can't even be caught in the main game, been the star of two Pokemon spin-off games, and recently appeared on cover art and in the new Pokemon Typing DS game, which heavily features BW Pokemon only.

I think it's safe to say that Pikachu is the cash cow for Pokemon, buddy. His cuteness and his appeal to all ages really helps him.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
NO STATISTICS ARE WRONG!!!!!! It's all about personal experience I can't back up that matters and I'll argue to the grave about it!

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have yet to see in this thread , statistics as to how Lucario is more popular than Mewtwo.
Nobody needs statistics to show Pikachu is the most well-known pokemon there is. Popular, who knows. IGN voters like Charizard more, apparently, but you know. Popularity and Well-known-ness are a little different.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu has been used in merchandising ever since Pokemon's conception, has been used in multiple commercials, has been a main character in the cartoon series including the Black and White saga, where Pikachu can't even be caught in the main game, been the star of two Pokemon spin-off games, and recently appeared on cover art and in the new Pokemon Typing DS game, which heavily features BW Pokemon only.

I think it's safe to say that Pikachu is the cash cow for Pokemon, buddy.
Alright people, in case you didn't know, I'm being sarcastic. I don't really believe this. I'm imitating Steam who supports Lucario in a similar (but a bit less exaggerated) manner. I know pikachu is the mascot of pokemon and not Mewtwo.

UberMario

Smash Master
Well, how many special moves can you think of for him that make sense?
B: Hammer Throw
Side B: Paper Roll (another rolling attack that reduces his hitbox. instead of causing knockback, it trips the foe)
Up B: Paper Airplane
Down B: Superguard (think of perfect shielding combined with the ability to damage foes that are in direct contact with Paper Mario)

He has too many other potential moves to count if you consider partners and the other badges.

Segastorm

Smash Apprentice
B: Hammer Throw
Side B: Paper Roll (another rolling attack that reduces his hitbox. instead of causing knockback, it trips the foe)
Up B: Paper Airplane
Down B: Superguard (think of perfect shielding combined with the ability to damage foes that are in direct contact with Paper Mario)

He has too many other potential moves to count if you consider partners and badges.
Okay okay, so maybe there are quite a few moves for paper Mario, considering badges and partners.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
U so mad y
Because I came into catch up on reading this thread, expecting to see some more good discusssion about SSB4. Instead I saw Steam using the same BS arguments that he uses to support Lucario for at least two pages, hijacking the discussion and driving it off a cliff.

Steam

Smash Hero
Alright people, in case you didn't know, I'm being sarcastic. I don't really believe this. I'm imitating Steam who supports Lucario in a similar (but a bit less exaggerated) manner. I know pikachu is the mascot of pokemon and not Mewtwo.
there ARE no accurate statistics though. all there is are the fact that mewtwo was left out before, lucario is more popular than when brawl came out, mewtwo not being a franchise mascot, and mewtwo being old.

also about the one thing you used as "evidence" being IGN's poll... pikachu ranked 48th on that. pikachu is definitely not the 48th most fit pokemon for smash.

edit: and I don't hijack the discussion. other people bring it up :p

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Paper Mario actually can be made fairly unique if they let him keep his partners. The general idea I've always had for him is that any paper transformations, use of the hammer/items, or other general physical attacks would not be linked to his specials, and instead, all of his specials would be linked to a partner character that would follow him around during the match. In total, he'd have about three partner characters, and they could be switched mid match through Down B, like the Pokemon Trainer. Whichever partner is out at the time would determine Mario's special attacks, which he'd preform with said partner.

I'd never really decided which parnters would be best, though I would prefer one from each game. Since SPM didn't really have partners that were that useful though, perhaps that one could be Paper Luigi, who's special moves would be those from the Mario & Luigi game. (Oh, and for PM1, I guess Parakarry, and PM2, Vivian I suppose)

refugee

Smash Journeyman
there ARE no accurate statistics though. all there is are the fact that mewtwo was left out before, lucario is more popular than when brawl came out, mewtwo not being a franchise mascot, and mewtwo being old.

also about the one thing you used as "evidence" being IGN's poll... pikachu ranked 48th on that. pikachu is definitely not the 48th most fit pokemon for smash.
But you just said there are no accurate statistics on this so you can't say such a thing.

Steam

Smash Hero
But you just said there are no accurate statistics on this so you can't say such a thing.
well I'm pretty sure that's an assumption that everyone can agree on :I

but I guess we don't have to. but if we assume their popularity deteriorated at the same rate.... lol

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I would think that if Mewtwo was the star legendary Pokemon in a Pokemon XD-esque game in the near future, he would have a fairer shot of getting back in SSB4. But until then, Zoroark has a better chance than either of them due to current relevance.

Since SPM didn't really have partners that were that useful though, perhaps that one could be Paper Luigi, who's special moves would be those from the Mario & Luigi game. )
It's not that they weren't useful, it's that the game was designed in a way that prevented much use from them. Carrie performed the same mode of transport and safety as the Yoshi, Cudge gave Mario an alternate form of attack, Thudley gave Mario and co. their ground pound attacks, etc.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Must of not read enough, browny came in a Lucario vs. Mewtwo poll.

So you be mad without reading.

Also as a side note i just beat Sonic Colors. It was gay but better than most of the sonic bs they have been putting out.

What are the chances of a stage from it getting on?

refugee

Smash Journeyman
well I'm pretty sure that's an assumption that everyone can agree on :I

but I guess we don't have to. but if we assume their popularity deteriorated at the same rate.... lol
Nope. No, I'm not going to assume anything popularity related when it can easily be found using a poll.

Steam

Smash Hero
google battle ends all

also the one poll you used had pikachu at 48th. I guess no more pikachu in smash?

also zoroark was like 70th. well **** his relevance.

because it's a poll, we should blindly trust it and assume it's all encompassing and was conducted in a way that can apply to smash selection. (It wasn't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom