• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Game Freak has a huge say in Pokemon reps in Smash, so really it's up in the air.
Really? Where did you hear that? That's pretty good to hear actually. Considering the reps for Pokemon have all been smart so far, I wouldn't expect that from Sakurai just because I doubt he's up to date on the exstensive Pokemon series if he isn't up to date on Star Fox.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know, with this recent interview, I'm starting to rethink the chances of certain characters based on their relevancy, particuarly Krystal and King K. Rool, because he's going to be grabbing just to fill slots. I'm also starting to think that things will end up like Brawl where Sakurai's choices are largely going to revolve around the fan choices of the previous generation (ie; most of Brawl's newcomers being characters that people strongly supported for Melee).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You know, with this recent interview, I'm starting to rethink the chances of certain characters based on their relevancy, particuarly Krystal and King K. Rool, because he's going to be grabbing just to fill slots. I'm also starting to think that things will end up like Brawl where Sakurai's choices are largely going to revolve around the fan choices of the previous generation (ie; most of Brawl's newcomers being characters that people strongly supported for Melee).
I'm hoping that he also pulls a move similar to what he did with Sheik. Her votes on the Melee poll were pretty low, yet he brought her into the game. If he brings in another character like that, The Last Story's Kanan, and Xenoblade's Shulk may stand a chance.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean, there's always the chance that he's being coy to avoid giving too much away but he was pretty much the same way with Brawl according to past interviews. Like with Brawl, he's giving me the impression that he really doesn't know where to start with character choices but, then again, the estimated start of SSB4's development isn't for another 2 months.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Yup, Game Freak apparently has a lot of say. Which makes me further think that Victini is going to be our newcomer. It's the all-time favorite pokemon of the Game Freak head. That, met with a movie, already high popularity, and unique potentail... why would they choose anyone else?

I wonder if this means other companies tend to work with Sakurai to develop their representatives. This could go with the apparent collaboration between the Animal Crossing director in making an Animal Crosser (which was later dropped).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yup, Game Freak apparently has a lot of say. Which makes me further think that Victini is going to be our newcomer. It's the all-time favorite pokemon of the Game Freak head. That, met with a movie, already high popularity, and unique potentail... why would they choose anyone else?
That is some nice information. I didn't know that the Victory Pokemon was that well liked. Maybe Zorocario isn't the most likely Pokemon.

I wonder if this means other companies tend to work with Sakurai to develop their representatives. This could go with the apparent collaboration between the Animal Crossing director in making an Animal Crosser (which was later dropped).
Elaborate on the whole Animal Crosser idea? Do you have a source? I've never heard of this before.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Elaborate on the whole Animal Crosser idea? Do you have a source? I've never heard of this before.
Unfortunately I don't have a source for it now... but I was reading an article in which Sakurai and the Animal Crossing director got together and developed ideas to make an Animal Crossing themed character. Supposedly they chose Animal Crosser, which was an amalgam of the human players from AC. But Sakurai later dropped the idea because of AC's pacifistic nature, and instead decided to represent it in other ways.

I still really would like Tom Nook, but since it was a design choice I really doubt it now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This will likely prove to be accurate, as what other option does he really have? Sure, he could shoe-horn in a whole bunch of D-List protagonists, but considering this is a game for All-Stars, and also based upon Melee and Brawl's trends, I find this unlikely at best.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
This will likely prove to be accurate, as what other option does he really have? Sure, he could shoe-horn in a whole bunch of D-List protagonists, but considering this is a game for All-Stars, and also based upon Melee and Brawl's trends, I find this unlikely at best.
Good point Kups. After all, we saw quite a bit of character mulling carry over from Melee to Brawl. Lucas made it in after being cut, Snake was requested to be in Melee, Sonic was widely requested, etc. I bet Sakurai already knows about half of who he's going to be putting into the game... Probably those who he thought about while Brawl was being made. Which really makes sense, anyone who's worked on a game can tell you there's always more stuff the dev team had to cut out.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well then we can look at everything we know character wise, Sakurai had to cut from Brawl and decide if he would have a reason to finish what he started. Characters like Mewtwo and Roy are popular characters who have already once been in Smash. So they have a lot going for them. Then we move onto characters like Doctor Mario, and Dixie who have are on this sort of neutral grounds. There is reasons to finish both characters, but also reasons not to. Lastly we have characters like Toon Zelda/Sheik who have a lot of reasons to not be added. So, hopefully if he looks back at older character ideas, he realizes that some of them just aren't the best, and shouldn't waste a space in the game. (I'm looking at you Toon Zelda and Non-existant-yet-still-somehow-almost-made-it -into-smash Toon Sheik)

Steam

Smash Hero
I think once old characters like Roy and Mewtwo are taken out... they kinda get the permanent axe since if they couldn't make it before... what improves their chances enough after all this time? their popularity only dwindles while their replacement takes the spotlight... especially roy who was just a lazy clone >.>

BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think once old characters like Roy and Mewtwo are taken out... they kinda get the permanent axe since if they couldn't make it before... what improves their chances enough after all this time? their popularity only dwindles while their replacement takes the spotlight... especially roy who was just a lazy clone >.>

The fact that they have already made it into a Smash bros makes them more likely than any other characters. They both would be easy to implament because they've already been done before. Not saying that this is a reason they should be added, because it's not. It just makes them more likely than pretty much anyone else. I mean, they both got cut the furthest into development. Mewtwo definitely has reasons to come back, besides the reasons I just pointed out, but I don't really think Roy does. . .

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
You missed my review java :c

I liked your stage suggestion alot.

:phone:
Oh, sorry. And sorry I even missed this post before now. :c

I think the Mine Cart level would be great, but I definitely see it better as a unique Adventure Mode level than a normal stage.

Well then we can look at everything we know character wise, Sakurai had to cut from Brawl and decide if he would have a reason to finish what he started. Characters like Mewtwo and Roy are popular characters who have already once been in Smash. So they have a lot going for them. Then we move onto characters like Doctor Mario, and Dixie who have are on this sort of neutral grounds. There is reasons to finish both characters, but also reasons not to. Lastly we have characters like Toon Zelda/Sheik who have a lot of reasons to not be added. So, hopefully if he looks back at older character ideas, he realizes that some of them just aren't the best, and shouldn't waste a space in the game. (I'm looking at you Toon Zelda and Non-existant-yet-still-somehow-almost-made-it -into-smash Toon Sheik)
Dr. Mario doesn't have a whole lot of reason to return. He was literally the same Mario in doctor's garb, and everyone only supports him as an alternate costume really.

Personally I'd love to see the Doc back, but I consider him on the negative side of the "likeliness" spectrum now.

Mewtwo and Roy have decent chances, as does Dixie.

I'm not sure what makes Toon Zelda a bad choice. As long as she's paired with her Tetra form as a transformation, she's a decent choice for a new rep for the cel-shaded line of Zelda games. She's appeared in most, if not all, of the cel-shaded games and has better moveset potential now than Zelda had when she was added in Melee.

I agree, though, that if Sakurai really intended a "Toon Sheik" to appear in SSB4, he better not reconsider her. Plus, we don't need five Zelda reps right now in the first place.

Steam

Smash Hero
The fact that they have already made it into a Smash bros makes them more likely than any other characters. They both would be easy to implament because they've already been done before. Not saying that this is a reason they should be added, because it's not. It just makes them more likely than pretty much anyone else. I mean, they both got cut the furthest into development. Mewtwo definitely has reasons to come back, besides the reasons I just pointed out, but I don't really think Roy does. . .
mewtwo has a better chance than roy for sure. and both would be easy to bring back. but I don't think either of them will at this point for the main reason I stated :/

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Its just some cuts. Funny thing but pretty dope thing happened. When I opened my eyes and looked up, the whole colorguard was at my side :)

What's the topic atm?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yo, it's pointless arguing with him.

When arguing with stupidity, from a distance both parties arguing look stupid. Just saying.

D

Deleted member

Forget Mario Kart 64, F-zero X has the best Rainbow Road soundtrack. I hope this is in SSB4.

@Starphoenix Stage concept: Awesome stage concept and it would be great playing in one. One thing I wonder is why you like to put third-party music in Nintendo stages?
Starphoenix said:
NG: You’re developing a new version of Smash Bros. for Wii U. How do you intend to take advantage of the console’s unique controller?

MS: I will think about this once Kid Icarus is complete. But as it is a game of a competitive nature, I do not think that any one person should have an advantage.
Glad to see that he is considering trying to reach out to the casual and competitive community. He was serious when said he wanted to improve from Brawl's mistakes.

Starphoenix said:
NG: Smash Bros. Brawl was a complete experience. What can any sequel offer in addition to that game?

MS: There are many things that can be improved upon even in Brawl. Also, I think you can base your expectations of the new Smash Bros. once you see how well-made Kid Icarus is. The director of each game is the same, but because I regularly change my team around after projects, we will be able to see how good the team is then.
In that case, let's hope that Kid Icarus: Uprising is excellent. I don't want to have to lower my expectations dramatically.
Metal Overlord said:
Victini will likely be the 5th gen Pokemon rep. He's more popular and relevant right now than say, Zoroark, since his own movie has recently been released. The main reason Lucario got in over characters like Deoxys was because he was more relevant at the time of Brawl's development. SSB4's will start soon after Kid Icarus: Uprising is finished which should be at the end of this year. So, yeah, I think Victini's getting in over Zoroark.
I think Zoroark is likely too, but despite Victini being Mew-like, I consider Victini the most likely 5th gen candidate. You might want to check my sig and click on it, I'm currently the recently born Project Unova site which campaign for Victini's inclusion and for a fifth Pokemon slot.

Starphoenix said:
NG: There can’t be many high-profile Nintendo characters left to add to Smash Bros. Who’s left that you’d like to include?

MS: That is completely undecided, but it is true that Nintendo has not created many new characters lately.
This could go either way.

- He could be looking at characters that are very highly requested like King K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac, Isaac, and to a lesser extend, Mega Man.

- He might look towards less prominent series like Custom Robo and Sin & Punishment.

- He could go guest-heavy with SSB4.

Let's hope its the first two options. As much as I love guests, there really should be no more then four guests, veterans included and I would not buy the game if Sakurai tries to put in guests characters in place of characters like Ridley and King K. Rool.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
Megaman was left out of YUMvC, I think they are REALLY trying to kill him off!
I doubt Capcom is trying to kill him off, considering how important he has been towards Capcom. Remember that Metroid was much less successful then Mega Man and had a eight year hiatus before Nintendo revived the series and it became one of it's bigger franchises. I'm sure a few year without Mega Man games will be good for the franchise, it needed it anyway.
KumaOso said:
He may not have many high profiled characters, but you do have some new low profile ones like Jiro that are unique.
I'm hoping that he looks towards low-profile franchises. There are a lot of great examples. Saki, Ray, Chibi-Robo, Takamaru, etc.
Metal Overlord said:
I think we'll be getting a few more antagonists in SSB4. In each sequel, we've gotten a new antagonist for some of the represented franchises (Bowser for Mario Bros., Ganondorf for Zelda, and arguably Mewtwo for Pokemon in Melee; King Dedede for Kirby, and Wolf for Star Fox in Brawl). If this pattern continues, which it probably will, I bet we'll be getting Ridley for the Metroid series and King K. Rool for the DK series. I'm surprised we have't gotten the former yet, I mean, if Star Fox, one of Nintendo's less popular franchises, can get 3 characters, then why can't Metroid have 2 characters? They resized Ridley in Melee's intro, so IMO, there's no room for excuses this time. Ridley needs to be added in SSB4, end of story (along with my mini-rant lol).
I agree as well and I have a feeling we'll see more of a focus on true antagonists. I would honestly be completely unsurprise to see all of Ridley, King K. Rool, Bowser Jr., and Medusa make the cut as playable characters.
JavaCroc said:
How about we have Assist Trophy characters or any non-playable characters appear in cameo roles in Adventure Mode? They are only involved in the story for a short segment, but helping or defeating them or whatever unlocks them for regular play. I could see, for example, a side-quest involving guiding a lost Nintendog to it's owner. Once the Nintendog is safe, you unlock it as an Assist Trophy.

Maybe even helping or defeating these characters allows you to summon their help in harder parts of Adventure Mode in their Assist Trophy form. These characters are gained as you progress through the mode and you can choose to summon any of them to help you.
It would be nice if something like that happened. SSE was a type of story that needed a lot more involvement from Nintendo characters and I think if it had more Assist Trophy involvement, it could have been a considerably better story.
Starphoenix" said:
Seems as though more people expect either Victini or Zoroark than actually want them.
For Zoroark, this is definitely true. Aside from Mario_and_Sonic_Guy, I have yet to see an active Zoroark supporter. Victini, not so much. While he doesn't get in as many people's wishlist, his fans have been more vocal in defending Zoroark and unlike Zoroark, who fits under the "Expected, but not wanted" candidate, I have seen considerable genuine support for Victini inclusion.

If you look at the OP and Ranking on who is deserving in my Rate Their Chances thread, you'll notice that Victini scored considerably higher then Zoroark. I'm very interested to see the turn out for GameFAQs, which is why I have been considering doing a spin-off of LuigiKong's Rate Their Chances thread called "Do You Want It?", which is like Rate Their Chances, but rating how much you want them in from a scale of 0 to 5.
Fatmanonice said:
I'm starting to hope that they do a international poll as Sakurai's giving the impression that he has absolutely no clue who to add next. As I said on Gonintendo, I hope they don't pass up a lot of great characters simply because they're not as popular as Mario or Link.
I have to agree. Dig deep down and you have many great characters to pick from. I can name twenty good Nintendo characters for Smash. This should be enough newcomers for this and maybe SSB5.

Doing a Japan-only poll could land us Tingle, a character that North America mainly hates and is overall a bad choice. Hopefully if the poll is Japan-only (Which it shouldn't) that xIblisx and shinhed-echi will translate it so we can get involved regardless.
Mario_and_Sonic_Guy said:
Regardless, my expectations for playable Pokemon characters are low. During the Brawl hype, I supported Deoxys, but it ended up as a Poke Ball Pokemon. Zoroark was one of the very first generation 5s revealed to us, which is why I've been supporting it as the next Pokemon fighter.
Considering you're only expecting Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, and Zoroark, I think this is more appropriate to say at this point. Also, I don't think being one of the very first 5th gen Pokemon revealed is a good reason to support them, nor is them being likely.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
That is some nice information. I didn't know that the Victory Pokemon was that well liked. Maybe Zorocario isn't the most likely Pokemon.
I wanted to bring this up in my essay, but I removed because nLiM8d suggested it was more of a fun fact then something to put in my essay. It also help that Game Freak's favorite Pokemon was previously Pichu, and that might be why Sakurai got him in Melee as a joke character. If that is the case, bias will play a role in character selection. Which is another reason why I expect Victini over Zoroark, aside from the fact that I don't want a crappy choice for a Pokemon (When you say Zoroacario, it should be obvious that people seriously overrate him in terms of how deserving he is outside of maybe this site).

With that said should I mention this in my essay? I now feel this will be a more valid point to make and can be expanded beyond just fun fact.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
I would not say Roy has a lot going for him, but Mewtwo and Dixie Kong certainly have some things going for their inclusion. Considering that Sakurai tends to bring content from previous games, I have a feeling that we could be seeing Mewtwo make his return and Dixie Kong be paired up with Diddy. I also think Sakurai will break some rules, like adding no new Star Fox character and putting in Victini as a playable character despite being Mew-like.
Steam said:

Cut characters have been brought back before. Street Fighter does this all the time.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
mewtwo has a better chance than roy for sure. and both would be easy to bring back. but I don't think either of them will at this point for the main reason I stated :/
I agree but let's not forget, even though they're chances are probably slim or unlikely the fact that they have a chance at all still remains, heck if Sakurai feels he would want Mewtwo or Roy back then IT WILL HAPPEN, it's at his discretion to do so, Sakurai is pretty much known for being random and doing the unexpected at times so with that said I wouldn't be surprised if even both came back, I'm nit saying they will, I'm just saying what realistic as far as what Sakurai might consider. Nothing is off the table as far as consideration goes!!.

Steam

Smash Hero
SSBF- Capcom and nintendo have entirely different philosophies. Unless victini and zoroark are both flops... mewtwo's not going to make it I'm afraid. prolly a pokeball poke though

D

Deleted member

SSBF- Capcom and nintendo have entirely different philosophies. Unless victini and zoroark are both flops... mewtwo's not going to make it I'm afraid. prolly a pokeball poke though
And Brawl was the first game where we have gotten cuts. We can't assume based off one game that they won't bring back characters that were cut. Meaning that Mewtwo still has a shot of being playable again if large fan demand is enough for Sakurai to convince him to bring back the Pokemon.

Also, I doubt Victini being a success will hurt Mewtwo's chances. These are not relevant to each other.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The point he's making is that it has happened in the past. Nintendo may not have done it, but it has been done. Who's to say Nintendo won't eventually do it?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
@Steam: Just like characters were cut in Brawl, the same could apply for bringing them back, you can't really consider or say that anybody is "truly gone" unless you happen to be Sakurai himself.

Steam

Smash Hero
And Brawl was the first game where we have gotten cuts. We can't assume based off one game that they won't bring back characters that were cut. Meaning that Mewtwo still has a shot of being playable again if large fan demand is enough for Sakurai to convince him to bring back the Pokemon.

Also, I doubt Victini being a success will hurt Mewtwo's chances. These are not relevant to each other.
the problem is a character that's not in any games or shows won't grow suddenly more popular except maybe in the hardcore fans... and they make up a small percentage of the target audience. this is mewtwo's problem. I think the only way he makes it in is with Lucario/Mewtwo. Lucario is basically a newer version of him that hasn't yet faded and has had representation in games/shows. and mewtwo won't be put ahead of a gen5... he didn't make it in before lucario last time so he wouldn't be in front of zoroark/victini unless they flopped.

Steam

Smash Hero
Well damn!! No use arguing with Steam :awesome:

I think people just need to remember the main target audience these days are the 10 year olds that have more years of youth to (get their parents to) shell out money for this stuff. as people get older, only the hardcore really remain.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's all unfortunetly up to Sakurai on who gets in, and based on the past, we must all be prepared for some disapointment. :glare:

the problem is a character that's not in any games or shows won't grow suddenly more popular except maybe in the hardcore fans... and they make up a small percentage of the target audience. this is mewtwo's problem. I think the only way he makes it in is with Lucario/Mewtwo. Lucario is basically a newer version of him that hasn't yet faded and has had representation in games/shows. and mewtwo won't be put ahead of a gen5... he didn't make it in before lucario last time so he wouldn't be in front of zoroark/victini unless they flopped.
While they are in competition with each other and have a similar special move, I find it a little bias to compare the two within the Pokemon series; especially since they have different fighting styles and powers.

But you are probably right, Gen. 5 will more then likely be put before Mewtwo, and Lucario is more relvant then him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom