• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, I'd actually like to see a stage that's based on ExiteBots: Trick Racing.

The stage would operate in a similar manner as Port Town Aero Dive, but instead of F-Zero racers, you have to avoid the ExciteBots that are racing around.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Though not from Nintendo, here is a little interesting information from Capcom...

Anyone watch the "Ask Capcom" for today? Mega Man in Smash Bros. was brought up, and I made a post about it here.

-As observed in the Ask Capcom/Mega Man forums: Mega Man for Smash Bros.?
-Sven is all for it
-Has apparently asked Capcom Japan to get in contact with Sakurai on this
-Say the ball is out of their court, as it is Nintendo’s game

Chances are, as the people above posted, things are too early for Capcom to begin asking Sakurai about this. Still, I'd think it's important for Capcom to let Nintendo know as soon as possible that they'd be willing to collaborate, so that when the time DOES come for implementing third party characters, Nintendo will know who to goto first.
Here is Sven's comment over at Capcom Unity:

I'm not sure if I've posted on this thread, or another one, but I'd like for this to happen. We need NCL/Sakurai to ask our folks in Japan. I know they know the right people.
This is the best Smash Bros new we have right now. Thank you Svennson.

Well I just gave you all some actual news for a change, even as small as it is.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sakurai talked about how Capcom characters getting into Smash Bros "Wouldn't be out of the realm of possability". So long as they can fit into the game. Which we know they can. Look at Solid Snake.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Though not from Nintendo, here is a little interesting information from Capcom...

Here is Sven's comment over at Capcom Unity:

Oh thank you! I was really annoyed that I missed last Ask Capcom episode, and I had a feeling I had to watch it just in case that particular question was brought up. :)

I'm really happy for the news.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh thank you! I was really annoyed that I missed last Ask Capcom episode, and I had a feeling I had to watch it just in case that particular question was brought up. :)

I'm really happy for the news.
Well Sakurai has been asked about Capcom by IGN and he didn't shoot them down. So if nothing else he is still open to third party characters and Capcom. If Capcom of Japan is trying to get in contact with them, we should have some smooth sailing. Now all I need is for Sonic the Hedgehog to return and I'm set. Sure I'd love Dragon Quest, but that isn't something I am truly expecting. It isn't unlikely, but isn't that likely either.

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
What would be the chances of changing one's special move?

I have no idea why Nintendo set their minds on spin dash control.

D

Deleted member

Starphoenix said:

I was meaning to bring this to this thread, but thanks again. I have very high hopes that Mega Man will make it into SSB4 and I would be greatly disappointed to see him left out. At least it shows that some Capcom staffs are taking actions necessary to put him in and that they are listening.
Red(SP) said:

Actually very good, Sonic's moves were kind of lazy and I would like to see a revamp of his moves, especially specials. There are no reasons why the Spin Dash should be two different moves. I'm hoping that the Homing Attack becomes a special personally.

If they can make Falco's Down + B more unique, they can make all four Sonic specials different.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

What are you referring to? Character moveset? Mechanics?

If that's the case, a few characters would greatly benefit from this such as Ganondorf for example, using his Dark Magic or perhaps utilizing his Sword as one of his special moves, yea the possibility of that happening might be good considering that he was a total clone in Melee and got semi cloned in Brawl.

:phone:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Down B for Sonic can be the Bounce he had in SA2
Spin Dash as Side B
Keep Homing attack as Neutral B
Spring Jump stay as up B

Idk what the problem is?

His regular moves could be redone though. Fair came across as "wut" to me and so did a lot of moves. Idk why they didn't just rip Sonic's moves from Sonic Fighters and Sonic Battle.

OmegaXXII

Because Sega was too lazy to give him any effort into his moves, he could have potentially been better than he turned out, I mean where the heck is his tornado spin?

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
What are you referring to? Character moveset? Mechanics?

If that's the case, a few characters would greatly benefit from this such as Ganondorf for example, using his Dark Magic or perhaps utilizing his Sword as one of his special moves, yea the possibility of that happening might be good considering that he was a total clone in Melee and got semi cloned in Brawl.

The moveset. You nailed what I was thinking.

I just don't understand why they didn't give Sonic Light Dash so he would have priority over projectiles(He pretty much hurls himself at you 24/7; why not give him something that would benefit his style even more?).

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@ssbf
i think he means a complete revamp like mario tornado -> flood and homing attack is neutral b =]

@Iblis
i was sure they were going to make his dair the bounce bracelet. you can only imagine how i felt when we got a stupid kick instead

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, I would like Sonic's Nair to be "insta-shield". An aerial attack with SA frames for a split second. :p Sonic 3 reference ftw.

As far as special moves go... I guess it could be like:

UP+B: Spring / Blue Tornado (Heroes)

Side+B: Homing Attack (An improved, straight one, HA usually never goes UP/DOWN anyway)

B: Bounce Attack (Sonic Adventure)

B+Down: Spindash.

That's how I'd change Sonic's moves.

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
Homing attack was homing. Wherever your foe was in any of the sonic games, you'd strike him from usually below.

Sometimes on top. They really f*cked that up. You're so close to hitting someone but you missed.

Does anyone find that annoying enough?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@echi
It depends on the game. I remember homing attacking upward a fair amount of time in secret rings

OmegaXXII

Homing attack was homing. Wherever your foe was in any of the sonic games, you'd strike him from usually below.

Sometimes on top. They really f*cked that up. You're so close to hitting someone but you missed.

Does anyone find that annoying enough?
THIS!

It's what I really found annoying in Brawl, I mean in his games he was able to take out enemies with a good and effortless homing attack, yet in Brawl you pretty much got screwed if somebody is about to punish you from below. :/

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
THIS!

It's what I really found annoying in Brawl, I mean in his games he was able to take out enemies with a good and effortless homing attack, yet in Brawl you pretty much got screwed if somebody is about to punish you from below. :/

I've done that to a lot of Sonic's online.
I have a replay data recent of that action this year.

I had recovered to Final Destination(Ness) and Sonic tried hitting me with Homing Attack; he had hit the edge and I followed up with a jump into double jump(fast actions) and I meteor smashed the sorry guy.

If anything they could of made homing attack a solid kill move or even a meteor smash would of been better than a 'close but no cigar' action.

OmegaXXII

It could have definetly had a more 'solid' approach as far as spin dash or homing attack goes, hopefully though Sakurai or Sega will focus more effectively on structure mechanics and better execute his moves to resemble the effects that come out from his games.

As for Pokemon Trainer, I'd like the pokemon not to be forcefully chosen when they respawn, rather just press a button and use the pokemon that you only want to work with.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Pokémon Trainers switching mechanic was cool. I wouldn't mind seeing fatigue go, however. Also, if possible (because I know that it might not be due to buffering lag), it would be nice to see Zelda and Pokémon Trainer transform faster.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
@echi
It depends on the game. I remember homing attacking upward a fair amount of time in secret rings

Yeah, it really depends on the game.

The later installments made it so that if the opponent is too high or too low, Sonic would perform an air-dash instead. His field of Homing Attack is usually around 35° to 45° (if we look at it from a 2D perspective)

But we can all agree that Brawl's Homing Attack sucked big time. I usually miss more times than hit. I only use it for recovery and a little combo set up.

And this is due to its unnatural curvy path, and aiming at opponent's back, instead of flying straight, and just targetting the opponent.

OmegaXXII

i hope that smash bros 4 has playable cats

no cats in smash yet wtf gg nintendo
Well...Sakurai does have love for cats, but I think he might go for the furries like Fox or Krystal lol.. Not that I support her though. :/

@CrimsonFaint:Yea, if transformation lag were to be cut by one second or two it would really be of convinience in certain situations, mainly when you have a punishing move going towards you.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
*mumble mumble* I thought my insight on Gharnef would have actually made people consider him *mumble mumble*

I mean yeah, no one wants him, but people keep suggesting villains, FE characters, and non-sword users, and given the amount of appearances (recent too) and his status, I thought people would consider it, even if no one wants him because he's an old ugly guy. :embarrass:

OmegaXXII

I mean yeah, no one wants him, but people keep suggesting villains, FE characters, and non-sword users, and given the amount of appearances (recent too) and his status, I thought people would consider it, even if no one wants him because he's an old ugly guy. :embarrass:
Trying to provoke are you not?

I'm not really going to get into this whole argument about Zelgius not getting in whatever nonsense, I only suggested him because he is from the recent FE games where Ike is from.

About that other guy though.. I don't really know what or who he is, perhaps convincing?

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Aww, Piepal, I DID look into Gharnef. *pats heartily on back* I just really don't think he has a chance. I mean, I understand the logic of it: He was a villain in the Marth games... but he served under Medeus, who's the big bad. Gharnef doesn't really have much appeal, he's really this gross twisted dark mage, who reminds me suspiciously of Grima Wormtongue...

Now, I see while that may seem more than a bit hypocritical coming from a Black Knight supporter, lemme say why. Black Knight is, while not the mastermind, arguably the main villain of his games due to his more personal relationship with Ike. He's a mirror image to Ike, they both trained under Ike's father, Greil; but they took different routes. The Black Knight served under Sephiran for the latters understanding mentorship for Zelgius who was alone his entire life because he was branded.

Zelgius was driven by his devotion to a master, while Ike strove for the idea of freedom. I would argue the battles with the Black Knight were the more personal climax in the story. Black Knight is also the constant between the two games, while Ashnard and Sephiran are one time only.

Black Knight is, lets face it... much more appealing as a character.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Super Smash Brothers Villainswithoutswordsbutarealsorelevantandrecentandmustbethethirdrepresentativeoftheirfranchise?

Which means Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Mother, and Metroid should all be getting villains, rite?

RITE?

OmegaXXII

Aww, Piepal, I DID look into Gharnef. *pats heartily on back* I just really don't think he has a chance. I mean, I understand the logic of it: He was a villain in the Marth games... but he served under Medeus, who's the big bad. Gharnef doesn't really have much appeal, he's really this gross twisted dark mage, who reminds me suspiciously of Grima Wormtongue...

Now, I see while that may seem more than a bit hypocritical coming from a Black Knight supporter, lemme say why. Black Knight is, while not the mastermind, arguably the main villain of his games due to his more personal relationship with Ike. He's a mirror image to Ike, they both trained under Ike's father, Greil; but they took different routes. The Black Knight served under Sephiran for the latters understanding mentorship for Zelgius who was alone his entire life because he was branded.

Zelgius was driven by his devotion to a master, while Ike strove for the idea of freedom. I would argue the battles with the Black Knight were the more personal climax in the story. Black Knight is also the constant between the two games, while Ashnard and Sephiran are one time only.

Black Knight is, lets face it... much more appealing as a character.

Way to preach my most wanted character, good job.

BTW: I'm finalizing what's left of The Black Knight, just a couple of stats, I will most likely post it Tuesday since it's my anniversary and all ...

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Way to preach my most wanted character, good job.

BTW: I'm finalizing what's left of The Black Knight, just a couple of stats, I will most likely post it Tuesday since it's my anniversary and all ...

*Fist-bump*

Aha, one of these days I actually need to tell people WHY he'd be great, because I think a lot of people think he's a generic baddie because his name.

Happy Anniversary btw! How many years'll it be?

@MylittleRambi, MylittleRambi
Haha, Nintendo loves their formulas, don't they? I know it seems like people request it that way, but well, the Villains are typically the third most important in the series.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Barbasol: While Gharnef isn't the final boss by any means, he's still the one who revives Medeaus and sets most things in motion (and possibly was the one who killed Marth's dad) Though if there is any parralel in FE10, it would probably be Sephiran (or with FE7, Negal)

Still, the fact that he's not an exact counterpart to Marth is what makes him more appealing for this sort of game, since that means he's not the same thing. The Black Knight is the same thing as Ike only on the opposite side and in a lot of armor, and given his story and weapon of choice, he's pretty much obligated to be a clone. Gharnef on the other hand is in no such position.

OmegaXXII

*Fist-bump*

Aha, one of these days I actually need to tell people WHY he'd be great, because I think a lot of people think he's a generic baddie because his name.

Happy Anniversary btw! How many years'll it be?
Yea like when people mention Sonic they think it's from that game "Sonic and The Black Knight". It's kinda dumb lol...

And actually today is my 5th Anniversary here on SWF!!

July 4th!! FTW

Still, the fact that he's not an exact counterpart to Marth is what makes him more appealing for this sort of game, since that means he's not the same thing. The Black Knight is the same thing as Ike only on the opposite side and in a lot of armor, and given his story and weapon of choice, he's pretty much obligated to be a clone. Gharnef on the other hand is in no such position.
Not exactly, he could be adjusted to use a lance as well, maybe not as his main weapon of choice, but he does have the option, he is very well capable of using one, plus he has such abilities that Ike didn't exactly use like instant warping and such.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Ike uses the warp powder in Brawl already. :V

And if he did use it, he'd probably only use it for a recovery (I will admit the BK would look silly doing Aether)

But really though, he'd never use the lance in Smash and you know it. Same principle as Ike not using the axe really...its not the signature weapon. (Is there a character who has a signature weapon and doesn't use it in Smash?)

Barbasol

Smash Ace
@Barbasol: While Gharnef isn't the final boss by any means, he's still the one who revives Medeaus and sets most things in motion (and possibly was the one who killed Marth's dad) Though if there is any parralel in FE10, it would probably be Sephiran (or with FE7, Negal)

What I was more getting at was, is there any sort of personal connection between Marth and Gharnef?

For example, in Star Wars. The Emperor was without a doubt the evil mastermind MAIN villain, but Darth Vader is the enforcer and as a personal connection so he really is the villain of the story, but not the events. Same goes for Black Knight in his two games. He's not the main villain in terms of the entire war like Ashnard or Sephiran, but he's the main villain for the story being told.

Eh, that's not really true in terms of the Black Knight being Ike in armor, I shouldn't of given you that impression, I was drawing more parallel in terms of their position in life and siding. Black Knight is also the one who put Ike's overarching development into motion. He was a student of Greil and like Ike, was driven by the need to excel and become a great warrior...

Their fighting styles are also actually quite different. Ike is more of a fight with heart rough'n'tuff mercenary. The Black Knight is a more emotionally repressed strategist. While Black Knight is likely a heavier character than Ike, he is not the same style of fighter. He has been blessed by the goddess Ashera, and as such, has access to many different spells and enchantments, such as his blessed black suit of armor. Not to mention he can also use lances.

I'd imagine that if he were made playable, he would be a heavy character with strong attacks, but also has magic attacks and movement abilities. There's several directions that could be taken with the character. So, I REALLY would cringe at the assumption he'd be a clone.

EDIT: One cool gameplay option that should be given to an FE character should be a Bv Weapon Swap, it's important in the games, so it would be cool to give to a character. Say like with BK (Obviously I am referring to Burger King), his sword is more powerful and slow with shorter range, but could be swapped out for the fast, long-ranged lance.

It would be very cool to incorporate as it wouldn't quite be a transformation, but it'd change a style quite significantly. It's quite important in FE because the weapon triangle.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Medeus is the evil emperor here, while Gharnef is the one screwing around with everyone. The relationship isn't as personal as Ike and the BK's, no, since it wasn't that story driven back in the day, but I'd say Marth's got the larger connection to him than any other villain, since he's the one behind everything, both times, and is the one who (possibly) killed his father, though that's not fully clear.

But anyways, its too late to keep on posting. Refresh my memory though when the Black Knight preformed any spells beyond the warp powder though, since I don't recall that.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I kind of would like to see Roy brought back in the next Smash. I was disappointed that they replaced him with Ike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom