• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Question and Answer Thread, Ask Ness questions Here!

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Actually, I was the one closest to the ledge when I grabbed him, so when Falco is grabbed Ness is the one closest to the ledge, then dthrow, and it was on SV.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
ok.... well now that i know, i've never heard of that before.... I'ma test this out....

Shaky

Smash Ace
I tested it out with a few characters, only works on Falco from what I see. To perform this you pivot grab Falco at the edge of Smashville and dthrow, it's a guaranteed death if you edgeguard him correctly.

Arcade

Smash Ace
Does anyone know of any uses for RAR jump cancelled usmash? It seems like it could be useful for SOMETHING... but I don't know what.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
You mean reverse hyphen usmash?!?!

It's pretty good, buT I rarely ever use it because there are millions of better options. Yoyo usage has grown less for me lately.... It's just too easy for anyone to destroy the yoyo. Sure you can use it for mindgames, but other than that it serves little other purpose...

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Yes, reverse hyphen usmash/RAR jc usmash. I use it sparingly, if someone is approaching me while I retreat or for a little mindgame. Not a big yoyo user really.

Sync_

Smash Journeyman
You mean reverse hyphen usmash?!?!

It's pretty good, buT I rarely ever use it because there are millions of better options. Yoyo usage has grown less for me lately.... It's just too easy for anyone to destroy the yoyo. Sure you can use it for mindgames, but other than that it serves little other purpose...
Stage spike/ kills with dmash <3

Spaztic Monkey

Smash Cadet
Hey people, I'm not sure where else to ask this so I'll post it here. What is the most effective way of edgegaurding with PSI magnet? I can do thi on people who take a bit to use their 3rd jump but fast recoveries like Marth I cant do it as well
(P.S. I mean edgegaurding by pushing the opponent away with its wind effect)

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
edge guard or edgeHOG?

Edge guarding with PSI magnet is stupid and pointless.... unless you are playing B+, in which case it greatly depends on the character.

you can somewhat push a person like DDD (only at or before the beginning of his UPb)to force them just far enough away, but nearly everyone else has a recovery that is safe enough to just hit you or make it back to the ledge safely.

In very rare cases in which your opponent is above the ledge and only barely going to make it towards the ledge, you can jump forward and psi magnet to make it to the ledge and grab it before them (the push either makes them miss or pushes them far enough away for you to make it first), which is technically edgehogging. This is so rare that not even I have done it.

Instead of attempting to edgeguard with psi magnet, try to keep on the safe side and pkt, pkfire, or nair/bair/dair/fair instead for edgeguarding. You might kill yourself if you try to PSI Magnet to edgeguard someone.... believe me, I've done it too often.

IN B+, Do it whenever you can! B+ wind is broken enough to actually prevent several people from making it back to the ledge (it almost stopped a MK that was drilling towards the ledge)

Spaztic Monkey

Smash Cadet
I have used it to push people under stages to prevent recovery, but it is pretty dangeous
Oh yeah and eagle eye, who broke the wind in Brawl +? It's probably MK cuz' everything that is broken in brawl is his fault (Except grenades).

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
....... heheheheh.... you asked who broke wind..... lololol

??? that question confuses me.....

broken = really cheap/annoying/good (in the way i said it...)

also, WELCOME TO SMASHBOARDS!!!

Uffe

Smash Hero
MK isn't really broken. Brawl just happens to be unbalanced. Which is unfortunate.

Thunda-Moo

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to change the subject, but I've been wondering something for a while. More of a general Brawl question, but the Ness boards rule so I'm asking it here.

Photos. I know you need a capture card to get videos due to Brawl's odd (genius?) save system, but what about screenshots? How does Brawl save them? Can you get them onto a computer without a capture card? If so, how? If not, why?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Is there a list of all the projectiles Ness can absorb and how much each one heals?

Arcade

Smash Ace
I could have sworn I saw a list somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. If nobody else can find it I guess now's as good a time as any to put one together. As for how much they heal, it's always 1.5x the damage of the projectile, maxing out at 30% per absorption. I'm pretty sure we don't have a list including exactly how much damage he heals from them because you could look up how much the projectile did and multiply by 1.5.

Here's my tentative list.

Underlines ones I'm not sure about, if someone knows for sure please correct me.

Mario: Fireballs
Luigi: Fireballs
Peach: Toad's counter "spores"
Bowser: Flame breath
DK: None
Diddy: None
Yoshi: None
Wario: None
Link: None
Zelda: Din's Fire
Shiek: None
Ganondorf: None
Toon Link: None
Samus: Charge Shot
Zero Suit Samus: Down smash, neutral B
Pit: Arrows
Ice Climbers: Blizzard
ROB: Laser
Kirby: Shockwave of Final Cutter, any absorbable B moves that he has copied (of course)
Meta Knight: None
King Dedede: Waddle Doo's beam attack, Stars from landing with his up B
Olimar: None
Fox: Blaster
Falco: Blaster
Wolf: Blaster
Captain Falcon: None
Pikachu: Thundershock/jolt/whatever it's called (neutral b), Thunder
Charizard: Flamethrower
Ivysaur: None
Squirtle: None
Lucario: Aura Sphere, Force Palm
Jigglypuff: None
Marth: None
Ike: None
Ness: PK Fire (both bolt and pillar), PK Thunder (both tail and head), PK Flash
Lucas: PK Fire, PK Thunder (Both tail and head), PK Freeze
Mr. Game and Watch: None
Snake: None
Sonic: None

Hope this helps a bit.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Taken right from this link: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=4134

Bowser
Fire Breath YES 1-8% - dmg/13% heal (note: this is from one button tap of fire breath, can fluctuate)

Captain Falcon
n/a

Diddy Kong
Peanuts NO, Bananas NO

Donkey Kong
n/a

Falco
Blaster YES 3% dmg - /5% heal

Fox
Blaster YES 2% dmg - /5% heal

Game & Watch
Chef NO

Ganondorf
n/a

Ice Climbers
Ice Shot NO, Blizzard YES 1-18% - dmg/2-68% heal

Ike
n/a

Jigglypuff
n/a

King Dedede
Super Dedede Jump YES 11% dmg - /8% heal (from stars only), Waddle Dees NO, Waddle Doo Attacks YES 3-21% dmg - /?-39% heal

Kirby
Final Cutter YES 6% dmg - /10% heal

Link
Arrows NO, Bombs NO, Boomerang NO

Lucario
Aura Sphere YES 5-26% dmg - /1-30% heal, Force Palm YES 6-12% dmg - /11-22% heal

Lucas
PK Thunder YES 10% dmg - /16% heal, PK Fire YES 8% dmg - /5% heal, PK Freeze YES 10-18% dmg - /16-38% heal

Luigi
Fireballs YES 6% dmg - /10% heal

Marth
n/a

Mario
Fireballs YES 5% dmg - /8% heal, FLUDD NO

Meta Knight
n/a

Ness
PK Thunder YES 8% dmg - /13% heal, PK Fire YES 1-22% dmg - /7% heal, PK Flash YES 10-37% dmg - /15-30% heal

Peach
Vegetables NO, Toad spores YES 1-2% dmg - /5-45% heal

Pikachu
Thunder Jolt YES 6% dmg - /10% heal, Thunder YES 10-17% dmg - /16% heal

Pikmin & Olimar
Pikmin NO

Pit
Arrows YES 5-11% dmg - /8-18% heal

Pokemon Trainer
-Charizard: Flamethrower YES 1-22% dmg - /1-infinity% heal (note: this was done holding the b button down until Ness was knocked back too far or his PSI Magnet stopped)
-Squirtle: Water Gun NO
-Ivysaur: Razor Leaf NO, Bullet Seed NO

R.O.B.
Lasers YES 5-9% dmg - /8-25% heal, Gyro NO

Samus
Charge Shot YES 3-25% dmg - /5-30% heal, Missiles NO, Bombs NO

Sheik
Needles NO

Snake
Grenades NO, Mortar NO, Nikita NO, C4 NO, Claymores NO

Sonic
n/a

Toon Link
Arrows NO, Bombs NO, Boomerang NO

Wario
Bike tires NO, Waft NO

Wolf
Blaster YES 6% dmg - /10% heal

Yoshi
Eggs NO

Zelda
Din's fire YES 8-16% dmg - /13-25% heal

Zero Suit Samus
Paralyzer YES 4-6% dmg - /6-9% heal, Dsmash YES 11-15% dmg - /18-25% heal

Arcade

Smash Ace
Oh cool, I got all of them right from memory except ROB's laser. I feel kinda proud of myself. lol. And thanks Yink.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yeah no prob. The only ones that are missing are Yoshi's Bomb Stars and (I'm not sure) Kirby Stars, when he shoots one out.

Arcade

Smash Ace
Oh, you can absorb Yoshi's ground pound stars too? I never ever play against Yoshi so I didn't know that one. Cool.

NightSol

Smash Rookie
Hey, I have a question about character match ups. When I play with my friends (I main Ness), i win pretty often but there are a few things bugging me. I seem to get outmatched by Ike in 1 on 1 confrontations, so my question is whether Ness isn't a good character to use against Ike, and who should I be cautious of when playing with Ness?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hey, I have a question about character match ups. When I play with my friends (I main Ness), i win pretty often but there are a few things bugging me. I seem to get outmatched by Ike in 1 on 1 confrontations, so my question is whether Ness isn't a good character to use against Ike, and who should I be cautious of when playing with Ness?
I think you can perfect shield Ike's F-airs. I'd be a little careful about grab releases and jabs, they can get pretty annoying. Ike isn't too bad for Ness, but I always torture Ikes a little by going Lucas, because you can out-range with PK Fire.

As for being cautious:

-Peach
-Meta Knight
-Marth
-Donkey Kong
-Snake
-Game and Watch

Or really, anyone that can harass you off-stage. If you learn to space really well, on-stage is pretty easy. Just try not to get grabbed or out-camped by other characters and always pick good stages to fight on!

Hope that answered your question.

Uffe

Smash Hero
How can I go about without being predictable? This has been one thing that's bothered me for sometime about my Ness. I'm not sure if he is predictable, but sometimes I feel like I am with him.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I haven't got a clue to be honest. I sometimes feel like I am, though. Maybe it's just me thinking that I am. I wish I could show some videos, but I don't have any. I'll see if I can come up with a different question later.

Kole

Smash Lord
I have sort of the same problem, Uffe. :p

After losing to someone, you should ask them how you were being predictable and what you were doing wrong. At least, that's what I've been doing.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere but its something thats been bugging me for a while

What causes Ness to move back different amounts when he's grab released on the ground? Lets say I'm using Peach for example and I grab him and pummel him to force a ground release, sometimes he'll slide a little bit back and I can just use grab again to re grab. Other times, he'll slide much furthur back and I have to actually do a dash grab to regrab him because a standing grab won't reach cause he's too far away

Why is this?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
looking for a ness guide

ness frame data

and hitbox data

thanks. I got an old porky texture hack and its hilarious so i want to use ness now

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
no....

10shakylivesinfloridaandnobodyelsedoes....es
Hey, I live in Florida. I'm just bad beyond comprehension. :D So I won't waste anyone's time getting destroyed at an MLG event. Orlando has a lotta good players in general, though, can't wait to see how they do.

looking for a ness guide

ness frame data

and hitbox data

thanks. I got an old porky texture hack and its hilarious so i want to use ness now
Guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169865 I dunno why this isn't stickied anymore.

Frame Data: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263608

I don't remember ever seeing a video of Ness' hitbubbles. Oh well, I guess one's lying around somewhere...

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
@neon ness...

SOWWY!! I didn't know....

Also, we used to have a hitbox thread, but that was rough and not hitbubbles.... I never have seen a hitbubble thingy of ness. could someone make one?

Also, what about my wavebounced PSI Magnet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exd_TMedPXo

Levitas

the moon
NN:this is the reason it isn't stickied anymore.

We were tied for most stickies before yink made me clean it up a bit ;)

(they were all good ones too, but index threads are nice too)

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Hey, I live in Florida. I'm just bad beyond comprehension. :D So I won't waste anyone's time getting destroyed at an MLG event. Orlando has a lotta good players in general, though, can't wait to see how they do.
You won't be good at this game with that attitude! You can't give up before the first punch is even thrown!!!

Top Bottom