• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEO's Hyperbolic Time Chamber (The IRL version)

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
I'm sure sometimes you guys wonder how I pulled ahead to the forefront with Marth early on in Brawl. Aside from using Marth for 6 years in Melee, I do something that I consider my own "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" in order to get better.

Now keep in mind, this **** takes a LOT of patience, dedication, and determination. But basically what I do is, on my precious days off, I stuff my iPod full of good *** **** to listen to, grab an energy drink or two, abandon my cell phone, write some notes, and sit in my basement for hours on in repeating **** over, and over, and over, until it comes as naturally as walking up a step. (Yes, I am a loser with no life and no girlfriend)

And if you think this doesn't work, the proof is in the pudding, M2K has a solid year of Melee all by himself on his disc, and this is the type of **** he did.

With that said, I'm off for 2 days BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

highfive

Smash Lord
Crazy! Just play slow mo in training mode for about an hour and you notice that you improve a lot.

C.box

Smash Journeyman
Oh, so basically this is why you and possibly m2k don't like being recorded(I think). So people don't steal your style from vids which you work hard to create.

½NIÇK½FBM

Smash Apprentice
Yea you are right. Most of us can sit in a basement and play this game for 1 day. Neo can play for 2.

No competition.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
I'm sure sometimes you guys wonder how I pulled ahead to the forefront with Marth early on in Brawl. Aside from using Marth for 6 years in Melee, I do something that I consider my own "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" in order to get better.

Now keep in mind, this **** takes a LOT of patience, dedication, and determination. But basically what I do is, on my precious days off, I stuff my iPod full of good *** **** to listen to, grab an energy drink or two, abandon my cell phone, write some notes, and sit in my basement for hours on in repeating **** over, and over, and over, until it comes as naturally as walking up a step. (Yes, I am a loser with no life and no girlfriend)

And if you think this doesn't work, the proof is in the pudding, M2K has a solid year of Melee all by himself on his disc, and this is the type of **** he did.

With that said, I'm off for 2 days BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So are ya playing comps during this time or just sitting in training mode?

∫unk

Smash Master
Junk's Hyperbolic Time Chamber: Watch a relevant high level match at least 10x and analyze why a player made that choice in that given situation.

Imagine yourself playing then when they do something you wouldn't have done, figure out why and decide which would have been better.

The best is when you analyze common situations... what to do in the neutral setting, what to do when two ppl are standing near each other shielding, recovery, etc.

Different depending on character and matchup ofc.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
^that was me failing on a friends account >.>

anyways

i've been in training mode so much lately its not even funny, it actually gets pretty fun haha

but balancing life and smash practice is easy, you just have to sacrifice the time you'd normally dedicate to playing other video games rather than sacrificing your "have a life" time.

so if i play anywhere from 1-3 hours a day, that still leaves me with plenty of free time to have a life, even with work and school. balance is key =D

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Or writing notes to friends and other people that may be influenced that you are going to be in your ****in' basement and they better not disturb the epic **** you are doing

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
neo also has pictures of Marth in his bedroom, for example one is marth doing his dtilt so he never forgets its range xD neos too good

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^that was me failing on a friends account >.>

anyways

i've been in training mode so much lately its not even funny, it actually gets pretty fun haha

but balancing life and smash practice is easy, you just have to sacrifice the time you'd normally dedicate to playing other video games rather than sacrificing your "have a life" time.

so if i play anywhere from 1-3 hours a day, that still leaves me with plenty of free time to have a life, even with work and school. balance is key =D
Dude I know how this is like, except when I do what NEO does, it's borderline scary o.O, his reaps good results. Practice mode is amazing, especially when you need to work out high aura modified lucario and you just pick out some smart bombs/deku nuts and SDI, then presto! lucario is at 180ish%. I only wish I could test with move decay in it (optionally).

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
*whew*

just finished a 2 hour session.

i'll probably end up doing more tonight, lol

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
neo also has pictures of Marth in his bedroom, for example one is marth doing his dtilt so he never forgets its range xD neos too good
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO how is this truee XDDD

*whew*

just finished a 2 hour session.

i'll probably end up doing more tonight, lol
How do people even do like this? I can barely handle.. like 5 mins of training mode.. then l go back to failing on lagfi.. sadly.. :(

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
How do people even do like this? I can barely handle.. like 5 mins of training mode.. then l go back to failing on lagfi.. sadly.. :(
if you hit the right topics its actually pretty fun. especially when you can feel the progress.

like after that 2 hours i just did a 50 min session of repeated teching. i do this kinda often, really helpful, my tech rate has been tons higher since i started doing that.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Usually helps if you're doing something for the boards, like some sick homework project or something lol. I guess it also helps if you have the right mentality (although it seems even more of an important thing to do if you use a character more string-oriented in attacks).

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Usually helps if you're doing something for the boards, like some sick homework project or something lol. I guess it also helps if you have the right mentality (although it seems even more of an important thing to do if you use a character more string-oriented in attacks).
True, but I think it's a thing to do with any character period, so you can think of any option or set up possible.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Just pick something you know you need to work on and think of a way to work on it. If you can't think of anything you need to work on, you're lying to yourself. If you can't think of any way to work on it, trust me, there's a way. Try posting your problem and I'm sure other people can think of ways to practice that.

Personally though, I don't use training mode though. Unlimited timer vs level 1/3/9 computer! Snake if I need to get hit and MK if I need to hit. Other characters if it's character specific. ^^

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I love training mode, items make for interesting ways to practice things >.>

For example, for teching I can run off the stage with a bomb-omb, z drop, uair, tech, recover, repeat.

Or just jump into a bumper for stage techs.

I should put up a vid of one of my training sessions, that'd be interesting i think :o

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I love training mode, items make for interesting ways to practice things >.>

For example, for teching I can run off the stage with a bomb-omb, z drop, uair, tech, recover, repeat.

Or just jump into a bumper for stage techs.

I should put up a vid of one of my training sessions, that'd be interesting i think :o
**** man that's ****ing genius. i'm going to go practice that **** right now. **** I never thought of that **** man.

Edit i fail at this game **** training mode.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
**** man that's ****ing genius. i'm going to go practice that **** right now. I'm also going to pratice SDI and **** I never thought of that **** man.
lmao, you'd be surprised at some of the **** i've come up with xD

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That's not really new >_>

A popular method of learning ledgeteching in Melee involved spawning a Bob-Omb at the ledge and then jumping off and Up+Bing to recover.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
That's not really new >_>

A popular method of learning ledgeteching in Melee involved spawning a Bob-Omb at the ledge and then jumping off and Up+Bing to recover.

Really I don't know these things because I wasn't that big into to melee.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
Yesplz :D

I need training ideas like this. Lacking any human players to practice with, any friends to practice with over wifi, and wifi generally sucking... my options are kinda limited. xD

Bob-ombs and bumpers are great ideas! I'll try those as soon as my dad stops hogging the TV (which sucks 'cause he's snoring in his chair, not even watching D:).

Steel_Samurai

Smash Journeyman
I'll be leaving for a 5 day trip to tenessee tomorrow, staying at a house with no internet :(
looks like time for a 5 day training mode sesh

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
When I don't have anybody to play against, I just watch a lot of videos, usually of characters I have trouble against, preferably NEO. If not I'll try to work on my spacing and movement and stuff in training mode, but I kind of have a short attention span when I do that. haha :D

Zeiro

Smash Rookie
I had a social life and a girlfriend. I got a job. I still had a social life and a girlfriend. I just play until the time I get off work until the time I sleep and every time in between work and social life. Woohoo for balance!

Top Bottom