• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksgrapes

Smash Rookie
Is there any way to use a down B or dair without fast falling?

i know for using your dair you can set your c-stick to attack but is that really advisable?

thanks

4nace

Smash Ace
Even with Cstick as Smash you can still use your c-stick to do aerials

Also, if you lightly move the control stick you can do a down-B without fastfalling. Just tilt it down slightly then press B.

I'm not sure about Dair though. I'm pretty sure Dair fast-falls you if you have downward momentum already but doesn't if youre on the way up. I could be wrong though. Also thats obviously character dependent since ZSS, Shiek and Sonic's Dair don't work the same.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
you can do a dair w/o fast falling by tilting the control stick down a little and pressing A, just like doing d-tilts w/o crouching and up-b/up air w/o jumping.

setting the c-stick to attack would work, but I find that if you try to buffer a dair w/it you end up doing a nair. (I tried tilt-sticking with Ike... yeah that didn't go so well =/)

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I'm having serious trouble with fastfalling. This is probably because I'm using a chuck+wiimote (don't have a GC controller), missing out on the C-stick really is a pain.

When I want to fastfall, I notice the game engine ignores the tapping of my control stick until I've reached the highest point of my ascent. For instance, when I get launched, I use my fastest aerial, then try to fastfall as soon as possible. This doesn't happen, simply because regardless of my controller commands the character doesn't start to fall fast. Only when the ascent is done and I start falling normally, I am able to fastfall, losing about 2-3 seconds in the process. Is this normal? I thought to cancel momentum you had to fastfall as soon as the aerial started, but it seems like the game doesn't work this way.

Is this because of my controller? Or am I doing something wrong?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
If you fast fall your aerial while you are flying through the air, you might not notice your fast fall... It won't drastically change your angle, or at least won't immediately...

You could very well be doing it correctly and not know.

Space-knight

Smash Cadet
Where would the best place be to find out some uhhh brawl vocabulary? Like what dair and zair mean, and what dtilt and like rtilt mean? You know like the terms used to describe different brawl techniques?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Most character guide cover what the terms mean. Check them out and they should be able to help you learn what each term means.

~

I have a question involving practice.

I have no one near my skill level at my college, my skill level isn't even that great. I also lack usable wifi while I'm at college.

I do go to tournament, but only once a month.

What would be my best method of practice if I wanted to get better when humans and wifi are out of the question?

I have no one near my skill level at my college, my skill level isn't even that great. I also lack usable wifi while I'm at college.

What would be my best method of practice if I wanted to get better when humans and wifi are out of the question?
I think the only thing you can do is to preserve the current level you have. I think a 10-20 minutes of play each day will keep your tech skills at the current level. Plus, you should not really develop any bad habits this way. If you actively think to yourself what you SHOULD be doing in a certain situation, that will lessen any bad habits you might form.

Everything I am saying I am just paraphrasing from stuff I have heard M2K and a melee discussion OP say. M2K mentioned he pratices against the CPU in certain situations such as try to Uair the CPU at the very edge and FF to try to catch if someone was trying to air dodge Uair. OP of the melee disucssion mentioned that prolonged periods of time against CPu is bad for you since you develop bad habits.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Most character guide cover what the terms mean. Check them out and they should be able to help you learn what each term means.

~

Well my suggestion would be to find out if any of the people below your skill level are really into Smash as opposed to just casual players. If they actually have interest then maybe play with them and hopefully they'll get good enough in a while for you to practice with. Either that or get wifi. Most colleges have high speed internet so you can get a USB adapter and use an ethernet cable. If your college somehow blocks wifi on their network then try to find a techie friend. Typically you can get around those sort of blocks. I did while I was at college.

Otherwise it sucks but you're stuck with computers. I've heard level 7 computers play more like humans than level 9s. It will at least help keep your skills sharp.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
My college's wifi isn't compatible with the Wii's wifi, I think. A router might fix this but those are banned at my college, for legit reasons.

I'll try tinkering with it more, if I can get wifi going practice won't be a problem.

Otherwise it sucks but you're stuck with computers. I've heard level 7 computers play more like humans than level 9s. It will at least help keep your skills sharp.
There are merits to both. CPUs below lv 9 will fall for your tricks more easily because of reaction time and being cautious. Lv9 are more agressive and I swear they read attack inputs. They PS way to often, but I think that can be good. If you keep throwing out attacks that are predictable, the CPU typically is able to PS your obvious stuff (like if they walk at you and you just throw out a sword attack at random multiple times in a real match, the human player will predict this and punish you for it, much like the CPU lv 9 at times).

Fighting the CPU lv9 forced me to observe how they will act first, and then react accordingly. In human matches, observation is key. This certainly does not help you with those random moments humans can throw out, but it's a start.

But yeah, what tien said is probably what you should do in trying to generate a smash scene and or get wifi.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
My college's wifi isn't compatible with the Wii's wifi, I think. A router might fix this but those are banned at my college, for legit reasons.

I'll try tinkering with it more, if I can get wifi going practice won't be a problem.
I dunno about your college but my college wouldn't allow wireless/consoles because of clean access agent. Does your college have that or anything else like it?

I dunno about your college but my college wouldn't allow wireless/consoles because of clean access agent. Does your college have that or anything else like it?
I have a crazy idea. Phone + Laptop + USB router. Is it possible? Use the phone to get internet connection to connect to the laptop. Use the laptop to set up a wireless internet connection or hard wire it to the wii? Maybe not a laptop, but some computer?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've tried it with my laptop, doesn't work, I get error code 52040 every time.

Would giving my Wii's Mac address to the tech support help out with this issue?

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I have a crazy idea. Phone + Laptop + USB router. Is it possible? Use the phone to get internet connection to connect to the laptop. Use the laptop to set up a wireless internet connection or hard wire it to the wii? Maybe not a laptop, but some computer?
Well he said that the college doesn't allow routers so I dunno. Using the phone's network is an interesting idea that might work around the colleges blocks but I'm not entirely sure how that would work or what kind of phone he has. I'd say the easiest solution would be to try a wired connection. Nintendo sells a USB/Lan adapter. Dunno if it would work though.

I've tried it with my laptop, doesn't work, I get error code 52040 every time.

Would giving my Wii's Mac address to the tech support help out with this issue?
Well it might. It depends on your school. With online gaming as popular as it is I'd assume they have some protocol in place to get online. At my school after like my second year they started allowing us to use game consoles on the network but you had to register your console with them first by sending the mac address. The best thing to do would probably be to contact your school's tech department about it.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Question, let us say you want a particular grab release you want to do, is it possible to memorize the timing at each percent, is it possible to (though not 100 percent because of player button mashing), but to time your pummels to get the version you want, be it air, pummel, or standard grab release consistently, as in at least 75 percent of the time?

I had a question. Is it already known or disproven that Auto-Snap priority exists? And that Auto-Snap Priority is determined by whichever port number you have?

I was messing around and tried a few scenario that seem to prove that the lower port number you have, you will grab the ledge first if the both of you try to grab it at the same time.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've got a question. How do I deal with a campy Snake? I use Falco, I win. I use anybody else, I lose. I main Ness and I want to win with Ness. No, this isn't online. This is in person. He'll toss his grenades and whenever I get close, he'll roll out of the way. If I try to attack, I end up getting blown up. How do I deal with this *****?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I've got a question. How do I deal with a campy Snake? I use Falco, I win. I use anybody else, I lose. I main Ness and I want to win with Ness. No, this isn't online. This is in person. He'll toss his grenades and whenever I get close, he'll roll out of the way. If I try to attack, I end up getting blown up. How do I deal with this *****?
Falco's lasers can outcamp Snake, which your probably trying to do with other characters.

You need to obviously learn the match-up, this should be in the Ness boards/Snake boards. Try working on avoiding his nades while applying pressure.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Falco's lasers can outcamp Snake, which your probably trying to do with other characters.

You need to obviously learn the match-up, this should be in the Ness boards/Snake boards. Try working on avoiding his nades while applying pressure.
Well I've never had this problem before. The reason I asked here is because I was hoping for some answers from different people than just the Ness and Snake boards.

Well I've never had this problem before. The reason I asked here is because I was hoping for some answers from different people than just the Ness and Snake boards.
Just from looking at the situation, I would think you want to try combinations of PK fire, Fair, and grabs.
-Grabs will negate you getting hit by grenades if he is still holding one.
-With Fair you can space out the Utilt and Ftilt I think.
-PK fire is mostly as a method of spacing and punishment. PK fire I think can punish rolls, and it is somewhat safe to use if a grenade is nearby. If you try to PK fire and miss, and that grenade is nearby, more than likely snake will not try to attack you if it is about to explode and you can shield in time to avoid the hit. If he does try to get near you, the grenade should hit him in the attempt to get you. So it's a somewhat win-win situation. ALthough, a nade blast to you is a lot worse than it is to snake.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Just from looking at the situation, I would think you want to try combinations of PK fire, Fair, and grabs.
-Grabs will negate you getting hit by grenades if he is still holding one.
-With Fair you can space out the Utilt and Ftilt I think.
-PK fire is mostly as a method of spacing and punishment. PK fire I think can punish rolls, and it is somewhat safe to use if a grenade is nearby. If you try to PK fire and miss, and that grenade is nearby, more than likely snake will not try to attack you if it is about to explode and you can shield in time to avoid the hit. If he does try to get near you, the grenade should hit him in the attempt to get you. So it's a somewhat win-win situation. ALthough, a nade blast to you is a lot worse than it is to snake.
Thank you.

4nace

Smash Ace
How do you guys practice stalling techniques? It seems like a gay thing to do in friendlies, but I know as Sonic there are some match-ups where it could be the best tactic, ie ICs/Bowser.

So do you practice vs CPUs and just have them not hit you for 8 minutes? That seems kinda counterproductive since CPUs will literally do the same exact thing for 8 minutes (then again so did Jiggs against Plank hahaha jk)

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Play random people on wifi. They are better than cpus and you won't feel bad for them for stalling.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I have issues doing things out of shield. I just can't manage to do anything, every time I try to do a side or down move I dodge or roll instead of doing the move and any up-move just does nothing. I use a chuck+wiimote and tap jump on, so I know I can input up and then let go of the shield and then use any up-move, but this just seems a drop shield move, not out of shield. What kind of input do I need to use OOS moves, and does this have something to do with my controller setup?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I have issues doing things out of shield. I just can't manage to do anything, every time I try to do a side or down move I dodge or roll instead of doing the move and any up-move just does nothing. I use a chuck+wiimote and tap jump on, so I know I can input up and then let go of the shield and then use any up-move, but this just seems a drop shield move, not out of shield. What kind of input do I need to use OOS moves, and does this have something to do with my controller setup?
You can only do B, upsmash, grab and aerials OOS. Your problem is that you're letting go of the shield button. Keep that button held down, your jump will automatically cancel the shield.
I might do this while playing but wouldn't know if I actually am...so what is wave-bouncing thunder?
Wave bouncing is just reversing your momentum while you do a b move.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
You can only do B, upsmash, grab and aerials OOS. Your problem is that you're letting go of the shield button. Keep that button held down, your jump will automatically cancel the shield.
Thanks, I tried it and it works now. I guess my idea of "OOS" was more like a shieldgrab, where there's no transition between the shield and the move.

Dogboy

Smash Apprentice
Are there any characters with real combos in this game? I mean besides the obvious mario/ fox down a and such. Also, do any of my ch's have combos?
My main is kirby.
My second is luigi.
my third is falco.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
wow...

ok...

just about every character has true combos at low percents... people say brawl has no comboes because the ones that it does have are not nearly as long or as far reaching as the ones in melee. even tho you play luigi and his combos are rediculous. but just to give you a few examples

kirby: f throw to immediate up air to regrab and down throw to multiple up tilts works on most characters at low %s.
luigi, impretty sure Short hop double up air, to short hop double up air is a combo on most characters.
falco. lol down throw to down throw.
theres also odd comboes that shouldnt work with him that do, like falling nair to up tilt and SH side b to double jump back air at killing %s

Masky

Smash Master
Anyone know why tethers just randomly fail sometimes? Like the tether will touch the ledge but the character will fall anyway. And I'm not talking about what happens after tethering the ledge 3 times

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Because you're too far way or because you touch the stage, I believe.

ex; Use Link's zair facing either the right or left platforms on Japes while landing on the middle platform.

By-Tor

Smash Cadet
How to get better at brawl in general? I'm used to melee, and Weruop has told me they're dramatically different games, once I got over that I can give it a chance again, but I don't know what to work on. With melee it's simple, SHFFLS, wavelands, ect. What can I practice by myself until I can go to the master Weruop's house again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom