• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
im sure every character has some sort of combo under thier arsenal. some are just harder to exploit than others. Most combos start at low %'s however
Falco-CG to dash attack to Utilt, laser combos, CG to DACUS
kirby has Fthrow to a quick Uair to another fthrow and other options
Luigi has utilt to uair to fair

Dogboy

Smash Apprentice
wow...

ok...

just about every character has true combos at low percents... people say brawl has no comboes because the ones that it does have are not nearly as long or as far reaching as the ones in melee. even tho you play luigi and his combos are rediculous. but just to give you a few examples

kirby: f throw to immediate up air to regrab and down throw to multiple up tilts works on most characters at low %s.
luigi, impretty sure Short hop double up air, to short hop double up air is a combo on most characters.
falco. lol down throw to down throw.
theres also odd comboes that shouldnt work with him that do, like falling nair to up tilt and SH side b to double jump back air at killing %s
Well, thanks (although the falco one was obvious, lol.)
the reason I asked this is b/ i have like 148 combos wih wigi racked up and i dont remember how i did a single one.
Asked about kirby b/c he was beastly in 64 and i want my brawl kirby to be the same.

infomon

Smash Scientist
heh.... luigi can tear ppl apart when they don't know how to get out of a lot of stuff that afaict are often escapable but difficult; SDI, buffer airdodges 'n stuff at the right time to avoid it.... some of his stuff is true combo and a lot of it is traps/juggles that can be escaped but you have to rly know what you're doing. I think.

marth13

Smash Rookie
okay, I have a question about DACUS. Like, I know how to get a Usmash with falco or Snake right after hitting with my dash attack. But I don't understand how to get that large mortar slide with Snake that i see alot. And can other characters do that without having to get their dash attack to hit first?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
most characters can ONLY do it without their dash attack hitting first.

i believe every character can do it and get that slide, but its has varying degrees of slide for each character and therefore, varying degrees of effectiveness.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Ok what exactly is a frame advantage ?
I go to frame data threads and see this kind of thing
falco frame data thread said:
Ftilt:
Total: 26 frames
First hits on frame 6
Shield hit lag: 8
Shield stun: 11
Advantage: -17
I guess the formula for advantage is
"first hit"+"shield stun" - ("total frames"+"shield hit lag")
But what does the number concretely mean ?
And is there any way to get a positive advantage ?
Is there a link with the thing called "frame trap" ?

Halp plz.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
most characters can ONLY do it without their dash attack hitting first.

i believe every character can do it and get that slide, but its has varying degrees of slide for each character and therefore, varying degrees of effectiveness.
Game & Watch's frame-by-frame animation makes him just stop when he properly DACUSes.

The Yeti

Smash Cadet
how does one perform boost tossing? is that when you enter a dash animation and then press jump and "a" at the same time?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
how does one perform boost tossing? is that when you enter a dash animation and then press jump and "a" at the same time?
It's when you enter a rolling animation and then throw the object in your hand. C-stick tends to be easier, although the normal method of "a" works too. The timing is a bit strict, and you throw in the first part of the roll. I tend to think of it as inputting it 1/4 through the roll, although this may be completely wrong seeing as it's just the way I think of it.

Roll>Throw>You slide

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Rolling works, jump canceling a dash works too.

What to choose relies on what character you're using. For example Falcon's forward "roll" glide toss sucks hard but his "JC" glide toss has a good lenght.

Ryne

Smash Cadet
Lets say someone grabs you. Whats the best way to break out of it? I was told that mashing random buttons help, but I dont think thats right.

TheMike

Smash Lord
So you created a thread about it and you're asking this again in another thread? Mashing up your analog + random buttons(as many as you can) is the best way.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Actually, it's rotating your control stick in a circle, mashing the face buttons (without pressing them simultaneously), and flicking the c-stick random directions(making sure to let it return to neutral between each flick)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
There are two different optimal schemes for breaking out of a grab (i'm discounting the one where you'd need to tech right away after being thrown, because i don't think that situation ever occurs in brawl).

I'm assuming gamecube controller with default button layout. If you use a different gc scheme, this may have less optimal results, because I think the default is the best for it.

Breaking out the fastest is mashing L, R, Z, (using top 2 fingers for R/Z), sliding your right thumb back and forth across all the face buttons each back/forth motion, with your left thumb, rotate the analog stick in full circles.

if you're in a matchup where you're not forced to airbreak, can airbreak, but don't want to, the most optimal method is: mashing L,R,Z as mentioned above, but instead of sliding your right thumb across the face buttons, wiggle the C stick back and forth ensuring it goes through center and not up, do the same as the cstick for the control stick.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I have a question about the third jump glitch, when a character jumps in the air with his/her first jump animation. Does anyone know what actually makes it occur?
My believe is if character X is airbourne without using the first jump, jumps above character Y from a certain distance, the game will read that as a footstool jump, yet character Y will not receive a footstool animation. Yet there is always room for doubt.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
It's not a glitch. Simply characters don't go into footstool animation if they already are in another animation (like the animation of an aerial).

So yes, all you do is footstool someone without him entering the "footstooled" animation.
No third jump (unless you renew your jumps, but that's another story).

Jane

Smash Hero
i need some tips/advice on how to more consistently uptilt.

now, i *can* uptilt, the problem is that during the heat of battle, a lot of the times i upsmash instead of uptilting. i don't know why but ftilting isnt a problem... why is ftilting easier than uptilting?!?

anyways, i main olimar and there are many times where i need to uptilt, but instead upsmash, and while with olimar this isnt as big as a problem as it would be for other characters, DK is one of my secondaries, and it is VERY critical that i consistently uptilt and not upsmash as his uptilt ***** hard and his upsmash is easily punishable, especially in the situations that call for an uptilt.

wow, that was long, so my main question is, as i said before -

can someone give me some advice on how to consistently uptilt? i know i know, "practice more." but are there anymore insightful tips?

thank you.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i played melee for years without the ability to consistently tilt.

I guess the best advice i can give you is to practice in a low stress situation, and just got through all of your tilts slowly, and than just start doing it faster and faster.

its all about muscle memory and just knowing how far you are tilting the stick, for the beginning, look down at your controller if you have to.

alternatively, you can just set your c stick to tilts.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
That's something you can practice against computers, because they'll put a little pressure in your practice and force you to use utilt in different situations.

If you have a lot of trouble doing utilt you can use this technique : set tap jump to off and do your utilts by waiting a little while between inputting up and A.

Up *hold and wait* A instead of up+A. With practice you'll come to find the ideal waiting time.

If you want to keep tap jump on then listen to what da KID says.

Dogboy

Smash Apprentice
How in the heck do you do this:
I've seen a Pit player on Youtube who is somehow able to fire several arrows up into the sky, and then have them rain down on his enemy. How is this possible? (By the way, i have yet to re-find that video, it would be nice if someone could.)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
How in the heck do you do this:
I've seen a Pit player on Youtube who is somehow able to fire several arrows up into the sky, and then have them rain down on his enemy. How is this possible? (By the way, i have yet to re-find that video, it would be nice if someone could.)
You can continue to control the arrows when they are off-screen, and loop them to have multiple arrows at once.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You can continue to control the arrows when they are off-screen, and loop them to have multiple arrows at once.

thats not really the same tech that he is talking about. multiple arrow looping and the arrow rain are different.

If you go to the pit boards and look up the thread that has all of his ATs in it, ( it should be stickeyed) thats should have what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom