• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Mm so it would work for moves like C. Falcon/Falco's fair?

But if I wasn't mistaken they didn't drop down. Actually came up to where as they landed on the stage.

Would you mind finding me a link about ledgehopping? On PSP. :/

Cero

Smash Lord
Yes, every character can ledgehop at least 1 or 2 aerials and land back on the stage.

I know ledgehopping Captain Falcon's f-air is perfect for a sweetspotted knee...
And, Falco...probably has better options then an f-air (like d-air, side-B or laser).

The characters have to drop down or else they'd be doing the standard programmed jump from ledge. They're dropping down but immediately doing their mid-air jumps into an aerial/whatever and DI-ing towards the stage. The controller inputs are just happening so fast that you don't actually see the dropping down part.

Oh, and I found you a link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pk0j3bAk3rE

...Yeah, sorry it's a video tutorial. I couldn't find anything on SWF about ledgehopping and this is the best i could do. Just watch it when you get on a computer.

No YouTube on PSP = :(

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking of doing some sort of experiment to decide a main... but I'm not sure how to make the experiment as controlled as possible. I plan on making replays of me playing with each of the characters in Brawl, but I'm not sure how to set it up so that my skill (or lack thereof) is fairly represented.

I've had this game since it came out, but I'm desparately seeking a way to pick myself off the bottom of the barrel. I'd figure finding a main would be the best way to start.

I don't have much I can do without Wifi at the moment anyway, so I might as well see where this takes me.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I'm thinking of doing some sort of experiment to decide a main... but I'm not sure how to make the experiment as controlled as possible. I plan on making replays of me playing with each of the characters in Brawl, but I'm not sure how to set it up so that my skill (or lack thereof) is fairly represented.

I've had this game since it came out, but I'm desparately seeking a way to pick myself off the bottom of the barrel. I'd figure finding a main would be the best way to start.

I don't have much I can do without Wifi at the moment anyway, so I might as well see where this takes me.
... I don't see a question I ASSUME it's how to pick a main. If you REALLY want to make sure you like you main pick Mario. Then play 10 matches against EVERY character. Then go to Luigi and do it again. Then do it ALL the way to Sonic. (Then pick Sonic. XD)

But playing a lot is the only real way to choose a main. Although you should have SOME clue as to who you like by then.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
... I don't see a question I ASSUME it's how to pick a main. If you REALLY want to make sure you like you main pick Mario. Then play 10 matches against EVERY character. Then go to Luigi and do it again. Then do it ALL the way to Sonic. (Then pick Sonic. XD)

But playing a lot is the only real way to choose a main. Although you should have SOME clue as to who you like by then.
Well, it's not so much a matter of who I LIKE, as a matter of who I'm the best with out of the 39 characters.

I'm sorry about not putting it in a question, but I just kinda put it in the way I could best describe it. I guess in a question it'd be...

What specific set-up (stage, opponent, stock/time, etc.) should I use so that the replays will as accurately as possible represent my ability to handle the character?

I realize the comps aren't good opponents, but they're all I have at the moment.

As helpful as your answer is (and it IS helpful)... for my purpose, it's extremely taxing on resources. That'd be MORE replays than I could ever fit into my Wii's memory.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Well usually you'll like playing the character you're best with. Not always but yeah...

Umm... I say 3 stock with a 7 minute timer. Opponents vary SO much you'll pretty much have to try your character against all of them to be accurate. I say Smashville is the most balanced but again you have people who say BF or FD.

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
Hey, My question is about tournaments.

How do you begin to break into the tournament scene?

I have lurked around the regional tournament boards and read up about the one's in my listing. But is it really just as simple and sending a PM to the host of the tournament and asking to come? Because it seems like that could defiantly lead to some awkwardness, and a bad first impression could ruin your tournament career before it even starts.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just go to the tournament. You don't have to say you're coming. They don't care. They just want your money.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
Why shouldn't I roll? I've noticed that top players never seem to roll as a dodge and I was wondering why. Rolling seems fine to me, but obviously it has it's flaws.
I'm asking because I don't believe I'd be a better player by imitating top players, but rather learning what they know.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Well usually you'll like playing the character you're best with. Not always but yeah...

Umm... I say 3 stock with a 7 minute timer. Opponents vary SO much you'll pretty much have to try your character against all of them to be accurate. I say Smashville is the most balanced but again you have people who say BF or FD.
Ok. I can understand your point about opponents. I guess I'm just HOPING that 39 replays (one for each character) will be enough to represent my playing skill with each character at this point. :ohwell:

Thanks for your help!

Kino

Smash Cadet
is there anyway to test frames besides pausing and holding down buttons. im thinking that testing smash attacks are sometimes inaccurate because u have to release after pause.
As far as i know, thats always been the easiest way. there are other ways but they aren't any better or easier. the kinda stuff people used for soul calibur 3, which i dont know much about, so i wont tell you false info. but yeah, thats the simplest way.

Why shouldn't I roll? I've noticed that top players never seem to roll as a dodge and I was wondering why. Rolling seems fine to me, but obviously it has it's flaws.
I'm asking because I don't believe I'd be a better player by imitating top players, but rather learning what they know.
You should roll, noone says dont roll. but people do say not to spam it, and some will say dont use it as a dodge. rolling is a great way to dodge but if you make it predictable in anyway it can be very punishable. Dashing away from certain attacks can be much more effective in terms of dodging, rolling has lag, which can leave you open.

but you are right, dont just copy top players, but do follow advice, if rolling as much as you do makes you better than learning other ways to mix in, do it, but i think you'll find out there are many ways to avoid attacks. without risking yourself by rolling

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Hm, haven't posted here in a while...

Okay, so here's my deal. Last time I posted here, I asked about how many mains were advisable for the competitive scene. I was satisfied with the answer by SamuraiPanda, and I've chosen to main Pokemon Trainer and Toon Link. There's just one thing I'd like to make sure of, though. Between the two of them (or should I say four?) are there any glaring weaknesses that would cause me to need a third main, like with the Lucas/Ness situation?

I'm already well aware of Pokemon Trainer's low tier standing, but besides that...?

XxOblivion77

Smash Cadet
Alright, I have a lot of problems as a smasher. I constantly spam things, I continue with the same strategy usually and can't usually win. I'm using Kirby right now, but am still looking for a character. Can you help me out?

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
Can we get a warning for when someone makes a topic on the tactical section with under 100 posts that says in big letters "If it's a simple question, we have a Simple Q&A Sticky.". Then just have the link after the message. It's getting ridiculous with all the simple question topics now, and 95% of them have been from members with well under 100 posts.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
Let me tell you that post count means nothing. Examining the rules and studying them is good enough.

Also I still need an answer.
Yeah I guess that's true. You seem intelligent enough at only 17 posts, any you asked your question here too to boot :laugh:.

Check these out. Can't really give any specific advice without seeing any videos of you playing, but these are a good read in general.

"Keep Losing? Try this..." by cwjalex
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160643

"Playing to Learn, a part of the playing to win strategy" by MookieRah
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176650

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Crazy Cloud beat me to it.

Although, I don't reccomend cwjalex's one.

At least, nowhere near as much as MookieRah's thread.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Look at what characters you have trouble with, then list some characters that can counter those. Out of that list, play those characters until you get one that you feel compliments your style and fits the way you play.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Panda I have a problem.

I edited my thread and things looked nice all updated. Then I go back to it like a couple mins later to add one more thing I forgot and all of a sudden, half of my post is gone. I know I didn't delete it and this is the second thread that did this.

Do you know why this happened and is there anyway I can get the lost info back?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Look at what characters you have trouble with, then list some characters that can counter those. Out of that list, play those characters until you get one that you feel compliments your style and fits the way you play.

And weigh MK and Snake on that list heavier than the others..

Is it getting to that point yet?

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I've got a stupid question that I probably should know: what inputs actually matter to break out of grabs early?

I just honestly circle around my controller stick and c-stick while mashing L R and all of the other buttons, but that's kind of stupid if only one thing matters.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
The CStick does nothing, rotate the control stick and smash the buttons (A,B,X,Y)

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I'm going to a tournament (not sure if this should be in here but w/e) and I don't understand some of the rules. Like, whats a set? Or counterpicking characters? Does it have something to do with the set? And stage banning? Whats with that? :( I don't understand. Basically, can someone tell me some tournament rules?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Rules are selected by the tournament host.

A set is a best 2 out of 3 matches. Counterpicking a character means...

Alright. If you lose a match you get to choose the stage, then your opponent picks their character, then you counterpick a character. That's called advanced slob pick I think.

If you look at a stage list you can strike a stage. Like say you REALLY hate Lylat cruise. You strike it and you won't have to play on it during the set.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tournament_legal_(SSBM)

This is for Melee and I THINK it basically carries over. I've never been to a tourney either so it's the best I can do... Sorry.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Well since I don't believe this question is thread worthy I'll put it here:

Why are some characters considered to have "better" spotdodges and/or rolls than others?

Regarding spot dodges, do some characters get more invincibility frames? Have IASA frames sooner than others? Or is it because some characters have better options out of spot dodging and frames of invincibility and IASA frames are identical for all spot dodges?

Like ROB has a "good" spot dodge. Is it because he has quick options out of spot dodge like d-smash and f-tilt or is it that he can actually act out of a spot dodge faster than some other character?

Same goes for rolls. Although I think rolls are considered "better" by some people by their speed, actually.... do rolls even differ in speed for each character at all?

Well basically, do spot dodges and rolls have the same amount of invincibility and IASA frames for all characters?

Cero

Smash Lord
Patsie; said:
Should I just rotate it? I know some people go all over the place, and some people just go from side to side very quickly.
I think every time you hit a direction on the control stick, it counts as -1 (frame? second? w/e) that your opponent can hold you in the grab. So technically, rolling the control stick should be faster than just hitting it back and forth.

3xSwords; said:
Well since I don't believe this question is thread worthy I'll put it here:

Why are some characters considered to have "better" spotdodges and/or rolls than others?

Regarding spot dodges, do some characters get more invincibility frames? Have IASA frames sooner than others? Or is it because some characters have better options out of spot dodging and frames of invincibility and IASA frames are identical for all spot dodges?

Like ROB has a "good" spot dodge. Is it because he has quick options out of spot dodge like d-smash and f-tilt or is it that he can actually act out of a spot dodge faster than some other character?

Same goes for rolls. Although I think rolls are considered "better" by some people by their speed, actually.... do rolls even differ in speed for each character at all?

Well basically, do spot dodges and rolls have the same amount of invincibility and IASA frames for all characters?
No. Most, if not all, character's spot dodges and rolls come in varying speeds, lengths and even IASA frames.

Lucario has a fast and lengthy roll dodge. R.O.B. has a good spot dodge with a lot of invincibility frames and instant IASA frames.

Just by playing around with some of the characters you can tell the advantages and disadvantages of their spot/roll dodges and which ones are better than others.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Thanks for clearing it up.

And dang no wonder defense is so broken in brawl.

Edit: One more question, Is the same true for air dodges? Do some characters have more invincibility and better IASA frames than others?

Cero

Smash Lord
3xSwords; said:
Thanks for clearing it up.

And dang no wonder defense is so broken in brawl.

Edit: One more question, Is the same true for air dodges? Do some characters have more invincibility and better IASA frames than others?
Hmmm... That's actually a good question. I'm certain some character's air dodges are better than others (like spot and roll dodges). The frame differences probably just aren't too noticeable to matter.

I would check right now for you if I had the game. But, I usually only get to play Brawl once a week at a friend's house (if that).

I'm pretty sure there's differences in Brawl character air dodges because I know there were a lot of differences in Melee air dodges (invincibility frames, animation frames, distance, etc.).

Try testing it out for yourself in training mode. Put it at 1/4 speed if you have to. That also goes for the roll and spot dodges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom