• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminary

Smash Rookie
@Terios the Hedgehog: No, this isn't a standard autocancelled Dair. I had been in the air for quite some time, and I landed the move before the attack frames had even begun (I think).

@vyse: Thank you very much!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@jber4life: I know it reads like a very specific question, but it still seems unclear what your asking.

If somebody escapes from my grab, they've escaped, no DI is necessary. They won't be regrabbed unless they let me. The opponent will be able to react and avoid a regrab in most cases (Infinite release grabbing is a different story).

EDIT:

Now that I think about it, I think I know what you mean now. Influencing the trajectory of the release. Assuming that you are released into the air (Since obviously a ground release can't be DI'd), I don't think so.

But I'm not 100% sure on that one. Get someone to test it with you?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I have a question. For someone like me who has no one to play with, what is the best way to improve or practice for tournaments(If any)? I have Wi-Fi, but I don't take it seriously much due to the input lag.
If it means playing against the CPU, what is the best level to practice with?
P.S. I know it's not level 8 or 9.

Snail

Smash Lord
I have a question. For someone like me who has no one to play with, what is the best way to improve or practice for tournaments(If any)? I have Wi-Fi, but I don't take it seriously much due to the input lag.
Practicing against CPU's fails. You should find a friend to practice with ._. But if you have to... I use lv9s simply because they're they're the most "challenging" but they have ungodly reflexes sometimes.

h2oson

Smash Rookie
hey how do you get the perma grab glitch working with grabing someone other than king dedede???

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
I tried searching already and couldn't find anything, so hopefully you guys can help me out here.

I want to find some information on character hitbox's because i really dont know that much about.
(When i refer to a characters hitbox i am using it in reference to how big a character is.)

Question1) Does the size of a characters hitbox change during the move they are doing? IE, King Dedede standing still compared to D3 doing a bair

Question2) Who has the smallest hitbox of all the characters?

Question 3) How do disjointed character hitbox's work? IE Ice climbers

Thanks in advance, and if my wording is awkward i can easily reward it again.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@jber4life:

A hitbox has a multitude of references. So to make it easier I'll explain it like this.

A hitbox is a part of a character model that can cause damage if it connects with a hurtbox.

A hurtbox/ is a part of a character model that, when it comes into contact with a hitbox, will cause the character to receive knockback and damage.

Q1) A character's hurtbox changes with the movement of the character. Obviously if I duck as say, Sheik, then a projectile that would normally hit me were I standing up, instead flies over me.

Q2) I would imagine Olimar has the smallest hurtbox, tiny little fellow that he is.

Q3) A disjointed hitbox is any hitbox that won't cause the character to be damaged or knocked back should another hitbox strike it. For example, hitting the area of Marth's sword or IC's mallots won't actually cause damage to these characters. Whereas hitting say, Snake's leg will do damage to him. (Unless Snake's leg is acting as a hitbox, at which point the attack with more priority will win).

Generally disjointed hitboxes are considered to have great priority, since 'clanking' attacks poses little risk.

I hope that helps.

MarioMCP

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am have some questions that i am hope you guys could possibly answer.

1. Kirby's Nair, is it any good? Because for approaching, i usually use Dair or Fair.

2. Kirby's Dair, is it a spike? i know it knocks down, and i often use it as so, but it doesn't look as if it were one.

3. My brother plays marth, and i some times have trouble approaching him to due to his disjointed hit box, what is a good way of approaching marth as kirby?

4. As mario, what uses does the flood have? I don't use it much, and i want to know if i am missing something by not using it.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Please note: I'm no Kirby main, in fact, the first three questions would be better suited for the Kirby boards.

1. I would imagine the Fair and the Across B are a couple of Kirby's best aerial approaches.

2. Rule of thumb: If the opponent is knocked downwards, it's a spike. So I'd say so.

3. Bair? Aerial across B?

4. Fluud has some unique uses, but I'm not particularly sure how effective it is. It's lol-tastic when you prevent an Ike from recovering with it.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well, like I said I'm no Kirby main. I'd imagine Marth would be keeping you on the defensive. Spacing with the Fair, Bair and aerial Mallot would be key.

Still, asking how to approach a Marth in the Kirby forums wouldn't lead you astray.

I just searched for a thread that might help you and see you've already taken the initiative : )

Browny

Smash Hater
I got a question...

what are the determining factors in the length of a characters glide toss. Why does lucario barely even move, diddy a tiny bit, and sonic go a mile?

Cero

Smash Lord
Best level CPU's to play with are level 3's and 4's.

Yeah they're easy, but practicing against anything higher will just develop bad habits and make you worse against human players.

hey how do you get the perma grab glitch working with grabing someone other than king dedede???
I think that glitch is character specific.

It should only work with Ike and King Dedede (Ike doing the grabbing) on stages like Corneria and Yoshi's Island (Melee).

I got a question...

what are the determining factors in the length of a characters glide toss. Why does lucario barely even move, diddy a tiny bit, and sonic go a mile?
I'm not sure how glide tosses occur or what factors in to their lengths.

If I were to guess, I would say that it had to do something with the character's traction...

But, that wouldn't really make sense since Mr. Game & Watch supposedly has one of the best glide tosses in the game and (IIRC) his traction is actually quite good.

So...can someone answer this please? I'd like to know too.

Tenki

Smash Hero
does DI modify a move's kill % (regardless of weight) by the same amount for every character?

Like for example if Ike's Fsmash killed Ganondorf at 40% and kills Jigglypuff at 20%, would upwards DI affect the kill% for both of them by roughly the same amount? (ex, kill Ganondorf at 60% and Jigglypuff at 40%)

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I really can't identify openings. I just see little chances to attack when my opponent misses with an attack that has a lot of cool down lag. What other things should I look out for if I want to move in to attack?

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
I need some general help on dealing with Marth from a Bowser standpoint. I can take him, it's just I need some help on punishing Marth specifically. The biggest issue I have is I get Side-B combo'd at almost frame one out of a shield for easy damage.

Also need some help on learning powershielding. It's just shielding for an instant, basically tapping the shield button, correct? I think that would help me the most.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I really can't identify openings. I just see little chances to attack when my opponent misses with an attack that has a lot of cool down lag. What other things should I look out for if I want to move in to attack?
Landing lag - if you're falling fast enough, you'll get unavoidable landing lagframes- those are generally openings.

Remember that with most people, when they jump, they MUST come down. So take advantage of that.

Immediately after attacks, most people will be open. Even MK's F-air has a moment of "I can't do anything" right after he finishes his sword swipes.

Also need some help on learning powershielding. It's just shielding for an instant, basically tapping the shield button, correct? I think that would help me the most.
Alright, here's powershielding in a nutshell:
- You must know how big your shield is.
- If a 'hostile' attack box is inside your shield range (for example, you're holding forward so your shield will start out forward-tilted) and you activate your shield, it will get powershielded.
- If you p-shield a multi-hit attack, the rest of the hits will do only little shield damage/knockback as though they were powershielded as well.

Tapping for a pshield is generally the way to go, since it lets you attack right away, but whether you tap or hold it is player preference.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know what characters are good against Marth? I don't plan on using ROB unless I can't find at least descent against Marth.

Cero

Smash Lord
Is there a learning curve list?
Do you mean like a tier list for character's learning curves?

Ummm...idk. There are a lot of opinions on the boards about how easy or hard it is to learn certain characters.

Characters like Falco, Ice Climbers, Diddy Kong, Olimar, etc. are generally agreed upon to have a steep technical learning curve while characters like Meta Knight, Pit, R.O.B., etc. are among the easier characters to pick up.

But in the end, it's all opinions and it all depends on you and your own personal preference.

Does anyone know what characters are good against Marth? I don't plan on using ROB unless I can't find at least descent against Marth.
Just checked the Marth boards.

Weekly Match-Up Discussion Index !

Basically, the only character that has a good match-up against Marth is Meta Knight (figures...) and Snake, R.O.B. and King Dedede are all even match-ups.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Small question: what are the best moves to spot dodge? I know most dash attacks and dsmashes are while speedy projectiles and jabs usually aren't. I'm wanting to know because I want to incorporate more spot dodging into my game so I'd like to have a good idea on when it's best to do so instead of just doing it on impulse and praying to God I don't get hit. :laugh:

XHMI

Smash Rookie
I can't pick a character to main

I don't really know my playstyle, so I can't pick one from that
does anyone have suggestions for a new brawler

XHMI

Smash Rookie
XHMI, Metaknight or snake if you want to do well.
MK was the first person I used in Brawl

but the fact that he usually only kills with side smash or up b started anoying me.
I could get the opponent to 130, 140, but then, I'd be stuck

then I started using toon Link, however, I noticed that I could not perform well with him

with that I began lucas, who I was using well for a while. when my friends started pwning me however, I began using d3, who is my "main" right now.

last night, at a party, I was insulted by pretty much everybody, for using dedede, mostly because he is incredibly slow. while I tried to stand my ground, I ended up leaving the party deciding to stop using D3

I know, I'm a noob for listining to others comments on characters

XienZo

Smash Lord
You should use MK's Down smash instead of side smash to kill, its way faster with around the same power. With D3, you should learn how to chaingrab. It helps. A lot.

Cero

Smash Lord
Small question: what are the best moves to spot dodge? I know most dash attacks and dsmashes are while speedy projectiles and jabs usually aren't. I'm wanting to know because I want to incorporate more spot dodging into my game so I'd like to have a good idea on when it's best to do so instead of just doing it on impulse and praying to God I don't get hit. :laugh:
Always try to punish moves with lots of ending lag.

(Ike's F-smash, Marth's neutral B, etc.)

last night, at a party, I was insulted by pretty much everybody, for using dedede, mostly because he is incredibly slow. while I tried to stand my ground, I ended up leaving the party deciding to stop using D3

I know, I'm a noob for listining to others comments on characters
Don't let other people's comments about your main deter you from using that character. If they succeed in making you switch characters they have successfully mindgamed you into using an uncomfortable or incompatible character.

Keep trying out new characters. Keep looking up videos and reading threads on smashboards about characters that might interest you. Eventually, you'll find your main and secondaries and stick to them and develop your own playstyle.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Keep trying out new characters. Keep looking up videos and reading threads on smashboards about characters that might interest you. Eventually, you'll find your main and secondaries and stick to them and develop your own playstyle.
Actually, I think you should pick a character you like, and stick with them. Every character can perform extremely well, although obviously some like Bowser and Sonic require a little more mastery than MK and Pikachu to do well with at low-level play. If people were laughing at you for using DeDeDe, then they obviously don't know what they're talking about; he's an extremely strong character who's been doing very well in tournaments. So he can be good, it just requires a lot of work to not get hit since he's so big.

Brawl takes a lot of practice. Learn your spacing and how to avoid attacks well, and you'll be playing better with every character you try.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Rather than making a thread i decided to ask here. Is this game heavy on spacing or based more on techniques ? I really want to improve and this is where i think i should start. When i think about spacing i dont really get hit much. =/

infomon

Smash Scientist
It's spacing spacing spacing, IMO........

There are techniques that help give different characters more options, so they're always worth looking into, but there are always ways to improve your game just by using simple attacks and knowing how to space well. If you're not getting hit when you think about spacing, then keep thinking about spacing :) and throw in hits when you know they'll connect.

Cero

Smash Lord
Rather than making a thread i decided to ask here. Is this game heavy on spacing or based more on techniques ? I really want to improve and this is where i think i should start. When i think about spacing i dont really get hit much. =/
Well truthfully, this game pretty much revolves all around spacing. (making your opponent back off, forcing your opponent into tough situations...)

Techs or AT's aren't necessarily required to be good at the game (although you would have to have beast spacing/mindgames to compensate).
They're just tools to help make said spacing/mindgames easier and they provide more options for you to utilize during battle (and more things for your opponent to worry about which leads to more mindgames).

Some characters don't really need AT's to be good (like Marth, Meta Knight, Mr. Game & Watch, etc.) while others rely heavily on AT's (like Diddy Kong, Ice Climbers, etc.)

At high level play, both spacing and techniques are crucial for victory.
My advice is, just learn as much as you can about anything (even read up on character specific techs for other characters).
Also, keep training with your friends (preferably people that are better than you) and eventually the skills that you're lacking will come naturally.

EDIT: ****. Infzy beat me to it. :p

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Thanks guys =) thats some useful advice *taking notes*

Well, i have another question. How do i space myself properly? =/ I honestly have no clue. Also, when should i sidestep or roll ?

Edit: Btw, i main pit and R.O.B

infomon

Smash Scientist
Read this thread: [link]
It helped me a lot, and I've re-read it a couple times.

The way I practice spacing, is I do a Special Brawl > Slow-Motion Brawl. Pick a level 8 or 9 CPU, play 1 stock matches, and practice... dancing. Waltz around their moves, get close in, avoid all their attacks. Casually walk around them, get used to their moveset and how to stay just out of range. The goal: never take damage. Every little tap they get on you means you made a mistake. Your goal is primarily to dodge all their attacks, and when you have a handle on that, poke in with your attacks where they can't be punished.

This helped my game immensely. Sure, you eventually get used to the CPUs, and the slow-mo will mess with your timing. But you will learn how to space.

Next comes, doing the same exercise, but as a regular Brawl. CPUs are still good training; people bash the idea, but of course they play a lot different than humans... but they're great as an exercise for your spacing and timing, and to kill off bad habits that are punishable.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Read this thread: [link]
It helped me a lot, and I've re-read it a couple times.

The way I practice spacing, is I do a Special Brawl > Slow-Motion Brawl. Pick a level 8 or 9 CPU, play 1 stock matches, and practice... dancing. Waltz around their moves, get close in, avoid all their attacks. Casually walk around them, get used to their moveset and how to stay just out of range. The goal: never take damage. Every little tap they get on you means you made a mistake. Your goal is primarily to dodge all their attacks, and when you have a handle on that, poke in with your attacks where they can't be punished.

This helped my game immensely. Sure, you eventually get used to the CPUs, and the slow-mo will mess with your timing. But you will learn how to space.

Next comes, doing the same exercise, but as a regular Brawl. CPUs are still good training; people bash the idea, but of course they play a lot different than humans... but they're great as an exercise for your spacing and timing, and to kill off bad habits that are punishable.
That was a fun read. I think i may want to re-invent my game =/ I have too many bad habits. Also, thats an intrsting method of practice. Im trying it out right now.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Whatever happened to instantly breaking out of grabs by pressing L/R? Was that confirmed or debunked?

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
Say, I can't see a good friend of mine too often anymore so how should I train? I mean, lv.9 CPU's are unpredictable and stupid so they are not good and WIFI is out of the question. What do you think?

Cero

Smash Lord
Say, I can't see a good friend of mine too often anymore so how should I train? I mean, lv.9 CPU's are unpredictable and stupid so they are not good and WIFI is out of the question. What do you think?
Either get new friends or train on level 3 and 4 cpu's.
...Level 9's when you get bored. :ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom