• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Thx again although I don't know how to calculate frame data so idk how I can do it effectively....

I guess I'll just put it at 1/4 speed and compare

Cero

Smash Lord
Lol. You don't have to record the frames (Mew2King probably did those months ago).

Your eyes are all that's needed.

Weary

Smash Rookie
What's the best way to practice defense (shielding, spotdodging, etc.)? When I started playing, people only told me how to attack, so I'm not very good at timing and knowing when to use each one. Any suggestions?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Yes, I play Tlink, but if they get past...

IMO opinion if they get past they should either be damaged enough for
A) The Kill
B) That little sword to knock them away so you can do it again. Spotdodge to Dsmash, Fsmash, etc, Roll behind Usmash. whatever. There isn't much you can do defensively except dodge and get them the hell away.

The only thing that will help is a LOT of practice in actual matches. Just play with defense in mind.

Don't think. "Oh Defense is getting me destroyed" if you do end up getting kicked around. Just keep it up untill you are pretty good at it. Then integrate it into your aggressive play.

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
ok, so i tried using the search function, and i got 20 pages of threads that had nothing to do with what i wanted to find, so i am just gonna ask.

A while back, i was brawling a friend of mine, and some how he a is able to shield grab me even tho i am behind him. i asked him how he did it, and he refuses to tell me.

Does anyone know how he did it?

he was using a GC controller, if that has any significance.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
ok, so i tried using the search function, and i got 20 pages of threads that had nothing to do with what i wanted to find, so i am just gonna ask.

A while back, i was brawling a friend of mine, and some how he a is able to shield grab me even tho i am behind him. i asked him how he did it, and he refuses to tell me.

Does anyone know how he did it?

he was using a GC controller, if that has any significance.
Some characters might have a grab that reaches behind them.

What were the characters? Can you describe the situation?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero

I loled hard when I found that out in Melee. I was Falcon and my friend was Link. I was stunned for a second like. DID I JUST GRAB BEHIND ME?

Then I CG'ed him to like 60 and Double Kneed him. It was awesome.

Marth was kinda notorious for it. >.>

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice

I was Ike, he played Pit, MetaKnight, and Zamus. he also played a lot of other characters, i can't remember them all.

The situation was, he shielded while facing me, then i jumped behind him and hit his shield, and instantly he grabs me out of his shield in the opposite direction he was facing b4. It was as instant as a regular shield grab.

it was really hard to beat him because he was able to shield grab me no matter which way he was facing.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I loled hard when I found that out in Melee. I was Falcon and my friend was Link. I was stunned for a second like. DID I JUST GRAB BEHIND ME?

Then I CG'ed him to like 60 and Double Kneed him. It was awesome.

Marth was kinda notorious for it. >.>
lol, I still have a gif somewhere of ganondorf's running grab boxes, which clearly reach behind him.

Still, nothing quite compared to Marth's vacuum grab lol.

@SipherothXIII:
I'd judge that despite the fact that you were hitting his shield behind him, you were still close enough to the center of him that his grab box managed to reach you.

Still, I could very well be wrong. If you've got a saved replay and could upload it to youtube, or send it to somebody in this thread who could examine it for you (I'm looking at you Terios :laugh:), we'd be able to say for certain.

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
lol, I still have a gif somewhere of ganondorf's running grab boxes, which clearly reach behind him.

Still, nothing quite compared to Marth's vacuum grab lol.

@SipherothXIII:
I'd judge that despite the fact that you were hitting his shield behind him, you were still close enough to the center of him that his grab box managed to reach you.

Still, I could very well be wrong. If you've got a saved replay and could upload it to youtube, or send it to somebody in this thread who could examine it for you (I'm looking at you Terios :laugh:), we'd be able to say for certain.
If i was close enough to the center for him to grab me, shouldn't he still be facing the same direction that he was originally facing when he grabs me?

I might be able to get a video, depending on if my friend lets me. He refuses to tell anyone how he does it because he wants to keep an advantage over everyone else, so if continues to be a prick, i wont be able to get a video.

gallax

Smash Hero
you should punch him in the face and tell him he needs to tell you so that the brawl community can exploit this tactic to it full use.

theTide

Smash Rookie
Lol. Tell me, you got me interested... if I had that ability with Ganon I could easily pick any quick roll-dodger and shove my knee in his face :D

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
Lol. Tell me, you got me interested... if I had that ability with Ganon I could easily pick any quick roll-dodger and shove my knee in his face :D
Ok. So it's kinda like a shield grab but it's not. It's like a shield grab, as it serves almost the same purpose, but it's not a shield grab as the way u do it is a little different.

You put up your shield and let them hit it. You then drop your shield, and turn around and grab them with the grab button. if you did it wrong, you will roll instead of turning around. After you drop your shield, u can instantly turn around and grab, and the grab comes out pretty much as quick as if you did a regular shield grab. Maybe a little slower, but probably only about 1 frame slower, which is pretty much nothing.

OH! He turned around? So it was just a pivot grab then?
No. It didn't involve any dashing, so i wouldn't say it was a pivot grab. it also doesn't have the longer reach that a pivot grab would have. it's more like you instantly turned around and did a regular standing grab. There's a chance you could miss the grab if the attack that hit your shield pushes you away.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I guess shield dropping is a lot faster this time round (Like, we're only talking 1 frame here). So I guess it doesn't suprise me.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Hey im new here, and i hav no idea wut u guys mean as fsmash and all these other brawl terms,... can a moose get any help?

BTW like playing as- Wario, Olimar, Yoshi, Cap Falcon, Ganondorf

Mains-Wario, Olimar, Yoshi

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I have a nooby question

How do I short-jump easily? I want to use G&W, but I can't really use the turtle effectively because I can't short-jump! Do I need a gamecube controller in order to do it? Right now I use a sideways wii-mote and the only way I can is by hitting the button really softly, so that method isn't really practical :urg:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@xxmoosexx:

fsmash = forward smash
fair = Forward air

you should look up these terms on smashwiki:
http://www.smashwiki.com/

Nitrix: Invest in a gamecube controller if you're serious about getting better at the game (Even if it is just to short hop). I say this because you really need both a Directional stick and a c-stick to maximise your DI whilst aerialling. (Example: Moving forwards through the air, whilst doing a back air). And that the metagame generally advances based on the assumption that you're using a cube controller.

I reccomend importing the white ones from play-asia.com, but that's not for everyone. You might want to just look around your city for a shop that sells them. Classic Cube controllers, nothing third party (Unless you don't mind third party).

supazio

Smash Rookie
Dumb question: How can I tilt more? It seems like every time I try to, I smash instead.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Practice.
Unfortunately there's no real answer.

Get used to softly tilting the control stick. Or hold in the desired direction whilst doing another action (e.g. side stepping, dodge rolling, etc.) so you'll already be holding the direction you want to tilt in.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Can someone explain what "Tech-Chasing" means? I have no clue on what its about.
Okay, originally it was made famous in Melee:
When a character is about to hit the ground after being hit, you can press the shield button to 'tech' off the ground, rather than just smacking onto it.

Here is how it applies in Melee.

Smashwiki said:
Tech-chasing is the act of following or predicting an opponent's tech in order to attack him before he can respond. Because a character's tech animations have small windows of vulnerability before a character can shield, sidestep, dodge, or attack, it is possible to read the direction of a player's tech and punish the lag with an attack, jump-canceled grab, or projectile.

Some characters are able to incorporate tech-chasing into a chain grab sequence. A classic example is Captain Falcon's up throw against fast-fallers. After he throws, Captain Falcon can gain another grab by successfully tech-chasing his enemy.
Thing is, it's less prevalent in Brawl (For the moment) because of how much slower it is, etc.
Tech Chasing in Brawl also branches out to include 'roll chasing', that is, chasing which way the opponent rolls after they've been hit and have landed on their back.

And example is chasing with Gannondorf's Across B, to get them multiple times when (And If) they roll away.

I hope that clears it up a little.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Odd for me to be asking this question since I've had a membership here so long but are tournament results the only thing that determine the offical tier list (even though it hasn't been made)? I've been getting mixed answers across the board. I mean, if a character is underplayed in tournaments does that doom them to a low rank in the tier list even if matchups show that they are not that bad? (Like a certain Italian plumber I main.)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Myees. Well.

The tier list is influenced by two things:

1. Trends in Tournament placing, as these are generally a good indication.
2. The specific traits and properties of characters when compared to other characters

Also other things like counter-picks and such.

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
I got a few questions;

1. What are Zelda's and Sheik's safest throws ?

2. How to fight against Olimar when you are a Zelda/Sheik mainer ?

3. Which smash has the most KO power between Sheik's dsmash and fsmash ?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@SeventhSage:
Those are pretty character specific questions. If I were you, I'd ask them in the Zelda/Sheik forum.

1. Any throw is 'safe' really, so I'm not sure what you mean. Zelda's Down throw is meant to be pretty good for chasing.

2. I have no idea : /

3. Probably Fsmash. But Sheik's upsmash is better than either of them.

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
I got another question; as a Zelda/Sheik mainer and I wanna know if there is a solution to Metaknight's Drill Rush and UpB. His UpB pisses me off a lot.

Luminary

Smash Rookie
I was fooling around with a CPU today, and something surprised me; I started a Dair (I use Pikachu, by the way), hit the ground, and immediately performed a grab. I haven't attempted to duplicate it. I did save the replay, but I have no way to upload it. It's also extremely quick; after watching it over at least ten times (they really need to add a fastforward/rewind feature), it's still difficult to catch. You can see me start the Dair, and (I think), before the damage frames start (or at least before you can hear the sort of electric sound that signals that the damage frames have begun), hit the ground. Then, there must have been a frame or two of the little shockwave that comes out after hitting the ground with a Dair (like the one you get when you QAC>Dair... sorry, I don't know the technical terms, so "little shockwave" will have to do). Right after that, I performed the grab.

Edit: Basically, I'm saying that I cancelled the considerable lag that occurs when you hit the ground with Pikachu's Dair, with a grab. Somehow.

I was wondering if I could get some information on it, or if none exists, I was looking for some advice on whether or not to post this in the Pikachu forums. I figured I'd post it here first. Potentially make a fool of myself here in a thread for questions, rather than there.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Luminary: I don't think anybody should consider you a fool for asking a question like this. We all have to learn somewhere.

Sounds like Pika's Dair has an autocancel effect if you end it almost immediately after starting it.

But to be honest, I don't know enough about how Pikachu works to be able to answer that. Bite the bullet and post this in the Pika forums.

@SeventhSage: If anybody had the answer to Meta's Up B, they would be awarded several cookies.
Proactive, smart play against a B spammer. Anticipate it, shield it, punish it.

IK3NI

Smash Cadet
i been playin for a little bit now n i no my way around the ring but i still have trouble wen i fight a wolf laser spammer how would i stop that with olimar

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Again this is another character specific question. I don't have experience playing as Olimar, but reasonable experience playing against Wolf's.

Approach in the air to avoid the laser spam. Mix up your Down B whistle, and using your across B to interrupt him. If the wolf is standing on the spot, laser spamming, you should be able to approach, but just be careful. Even faking him out by approaching in such a way to make him stop lasering could be effective.

markeezy

Smash Cadet
? : never played melee i only played the 64 version then went straight to brawl so i'm out of the lingo of whats what. what is the d-tilt moves and stuff like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom