• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I have a question, does anyone have any tips for learning to string combos together? i've seen combo videos which are amazing but as a new player im having a lot of trouble being able to do that kind of stuff.

Also is pikachu ok as a main? i've only had the game for about 3 days so i dont really have a main yet but recently when i've used pikachu i've found that im much better with him.
Just experience for the combos.

Yeah Pika's good. Check out Hylian and Anther

Are all character capable of smash boosting effectively?

Can all characters even smash boost?
I heard that Ivysaur couldn't. Not sure if that's true.

EFFECTIVELY. Probably not.

chckn

Smash Ace
I was just wondering, is it ok to "spam" the A button (gc)?
Its okay lol. Jabbing is an essential part to playing well. Most n00bs will complain about "spamming" just bc they do not know how to play against something as simple as someone repeatedly jabbing. If you are playing against someone with skill though you will most likely get punished if you just stand there and spam jab.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I don't think it's bad to spam jabs, I mean if you use it 3 times in a row, then it forms different moves, so I personally think it's a good thing to do, not cheap at all. Some n00bs might complain, but most people should be fine with that IMO.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hold Shield, then press down. There will be a small window of frames wherein your character cannot be hit by attacks. However this varies from character to character.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
And who has the most invincibility frames (Spotdodge/rolls)? Do you know?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Bair = Back Air

So its your backwards aerial attack.

nair is neutral air

etc.

: D

EDIT:

And no, I'm not sure who has the most invincibility frames during their spot dodge =.=

CyAnBlAzE

Smash Rookie
i need some AT's for captain falcon and meta knight

EDIT: if this isnt the thread/baord to get them, can someone please post a link to the right place.
thanks

Phear

Smash Rookie
I am torn and do not know what character to play im a competative player but am having trouble deciding between 3 characters. Lucas was my first attempt and got quite good with him but it got to a point where I felt he isnt a very good character. Then I played R.O.B had alot of fun I had a good time. Getting good at playing arggresively with R.O.B is hard.The Laser and spinning top spam is so fun I get distracted. But I had a hard to KO'ing people and I got juggled alot. Then i swiched to Meta Knight and right off the bat I was ripping people to shreds. I just cant decide who to play though im still most skilled with lucas, R.O.B is really fun but with weaknesses I would have to work around and meta knight is good i just dont know

Q-Q can someone show me the light?

CyAnBlAzE

Smash Rookie
i personally think meta knight is the way to go.. but on the otherhand my friend swears by lucas. what it comes down to is which character you feel most comfortable with

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
You need to log into nintendo wifi through Brawl. (To connect to ninty wifi, you'll either need to connect your wii to a wireless network, or have a nintendo wifi USB plugged into your computer).

Once logged in, it should give you the option to look at your friend roster (If it's not on the first screen, just look around til you find it - I don't wifi much so I can't remember the menu's off the top of my head).

Once inside the friend roster, it should list your friend code -> The one other people will need to enter into their Friend rosters to Vs. you.

BTW I see you're Australian. You should check out the Regional sub-forum for our country : )

Luxferre

Smash Apprentice
Can someone explain me the shortcuts of some words here?
Because when I read threads and see words like "uair" or "dair" is confuses me.
Would be nice if someone could explain the most shortcuts so that I get what is meant.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
U-air is short for Up Airial and D-air is down and so on in that fasion. Other abbreviations(sp?) or acronyms you will have to look up or ask for directly...

chckn

Smash Ace
uair= up air
dair=dair
fair= forward air
bair=back air

fsmash=forward smash
dsmash=down smash
usmash= up smash

ftilt=forward tild
dtilt=down tilt
utilt=up tilt

bthrow=back throw
dthrow= down throw
uthrow=up throw

sh= short hop
cg= chaingrab
ff= fast falling
di=directional influence
johns=excuses
tech= hitting r right before hitting the ground to spring up immediately
tech roll= teching and holding the analog stick to the side so that you roll
tech chase= usually after a throw, predicting where someone will do and chasing them in order to grab again or do another move.

hmm cant really think of anything else now, but if youre confused by something dont be afraid to ask!

Hooshkie

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to counter a counter attack eg. ike and marth counter each other with down special

Wolf-O'Donnel

Smash Rookie
Need Help With Term Definitions.

Hey all, this is my first thread so hopefully Im doing this right. I was wondering if anyone could define some game terms for me such as fair or nair, and elaborate on how they are peformed. Any help would be greatly appreciated so that I could better understand the threads on how to fight. Thanks for your time everyone.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hey there Wolf. You've made your first 'post' just fine.

If you look up to chckn's post above, you'll see what each abbreviation is:

uair= up air
dair=dair
fair= forward air
bair=back air

fsmash=forward smash
dsmash=down smash
usmash= up smash

ftilt=forward tild
dtilt=down tilt
utilt=up tilt

bthrow=back throw
dthrow= down throw
uthrow=up throw

sh= short hop
cg= chaingrab
ff= fast falling
di=directional influence
johns=excuses
tech= hitting r right before hitting the ground to spring up immediately
tech roll= teching and holding the analog stick to the side so that you roll
tech chase= usually after a throw, predicting where someone will do and chasing them in order to grab again or do another move.
So a Fair is a forward aerial, and nair is a neutral aerial.

To elaborate, a Forward aerial is an attack done in the air whilst holding forward. With Diddy Kong for example, he will do an attack that looks like a forward drop kick. A Neutral Aerial is an air attack that is performed without inputting a direction, and just pressing the A button. (I'm assuming you use a gamecube controller), with Diddy Kong, this looks like an aerial cart wheel.

What else did you need to know?

Luxferre

Smash Apprentice
I have another question, I've been reading in the ZSS character threads, and I already read the term "spike". Like everywhere on the forum, and now I want to now what that is.
If I would have to guess I would say that it maybe has something to do with her up tilt A aerial.
But I have no idea, so it would be nice if someone could explain that one.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Aha, okay.

A spike is generally any attack that sends the recipient in a downward direction. For example, Gannon's Down Air (Dair) is a spike.

Now when people refer to spikes, they will mean one of either two things.

A true 'spike' is an attack that cannot be meteor cancelled. An example might be Diddy Kong's Up + B barrel attack. If an opponent is under the barrels when Diddy launches, they'll be spiked (Assuming both character's are in the air).

A meteor smash is an attack that sends opponents downwards, but can be cancelled by the opponent by simply pressing the jump button. For example, once hit by Gannon's Dair (Whilst off the edge or in the air), if you hit jump, you'll cancel the 'I just got hit by Gannon's dair OMG' animation and jump (Assuming that you're still in the air).

Hope that clears it up. ZSS's up Aerial isn't a spike. However, her Up + B can be used as a spike when used correctly.

Luxferre

Smash Apprentice
So a "spike" is a attack that mostly is supposed so stop the opponent from recovering, right?
And mostly is shouldn't be able to recover after getting hit, like a meteor smash.
is that right?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
While this is a general board, I didn't want to start a new thread, and this one seems active, sorry if this is too character specific.

Should I be fast falling GaW's Nair? It seems to not autocancel, but they are in stun from the hits not ending. It seems virtually the same for me, but I am never sure if I am doing something that may be hurting me in the long run, so any help is appreciated.

Hype

Smash Lord
Yes, spike and meteor smash are virtually the same.
A meteor smash is an attack that sends someone downward and can be meteor cancelled. A spike is an attack that causes downward momentum but cannot be meteor cancelled. therefore there are no spikes in brawl, but people still refer to meteor smashes as spikes. some people think that the term spike should be removed from brawl.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
A meteor smash is an attack that sends someone downward and can be meteor cancelled. A spike is an attack that causes downward momentum but cannot be meteor cancelled. therefore there are no spikes in brawl, but people still refer to meteor smashes as spikes. some people think that the term spike should be removed from brawl.
There are still spikes in Brawl.

Diddy Kong's Up + B is a spike (At least, I'm pretty sure it is).
Diddy's Monkey Flip can also spike if you press jump after latching on.

I'm sure there are more though.

@neek3:

You can simply practice against Lvl 1's or level 3's.
Since you don't have to work much to get them off the edge, you can practice timing your spikes/meteor smashers/edgeguarding tactics on them as they try to recover.

Even though they are low level, they still have to recover : )

Hype

Smash Lord
Whats a good way to practice edge guarding and spikeing?
When I was practicing spikes with marth (he has a difficult spike to master) I went into training mode and set the CPU to Jump, then I just kept spiking him untill I got it pretty consitently. I then set the CPU back to stand and put his damage up really high, so a throw would get him far off the map. then I just attempted spikes as hes recovering.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I've got a general question about something I wasn't able to pull off yet. Is there a way to wavebounce without B-Sticking? I'm a Link main and I don't want to sacrifice my DAC...

Hype

Smash Lord
Hey, I've got a general question about something I wasn't able to pull off yet. Is there a way to wavebounce without B-Sticking? I'm a Link main and I don't want to sacrifice my DAC...
Yes. press B and the c-stick as simaltaniously gives you the same result as b sticking. so you can press the C-stick backwards while pressing B and holding forward on the control stick.

xiferp

Smash Apprentice
Yay me, I went here instead of making a new thread. Does each grab attack count toward decay? Like, if you somehow pummel your opponent 8 times, then throw, will all your other moves be reset to full power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom