• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NCSU Smash Stacks - Round 9 @DUKE 10/30

stingers

Smash Obsessed
dont be so hard on him...foxy was only tryin to help the scene, without him we wouldnt have any tournaments at all now would we?

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
@stingrz- i see what u did there haha!

edit: duo im catching up 2 ur post count, u aint beaten me ***.

Foxy

Smash Master
BRAWL DOUBLES

1: Terrorist and Theif (Shady and Villain) ($74.00)
1: Flaming Sauce (KillerSOS and Flamingo) ($74.00)
3: Devin and Bo ($20.00)
4: Why Do I Climb the Mountain (Karn and Foxy)
5: Mits and Duo
5: I Have a Dreamsicle (Cosby and Jon)
7: Doctors of Dirty Perfection (KSK and Lozr)
7: Rohan and Fiz
9: Seth and Rag
9: Chocolate Contral (313 and Mekos)
9: Kale doesnt give a **** (Snapp and Kale)
9: Scandalous Adventurers (Fritz and Omni)
13: BFW and Spite
13: David and Andrew
13: RocketPSIence and Mizu
13: Aura Force (Stockfield and Zell)
17: Kain and Joseph
17: Wesley and Sam

BRAWL SINGLES

1: Shady Penguin ($110.00) [lost to Duo]
2: Duo ($55.00) [lost to Shady twice]
3: Foxy ($20.00) [lost to Shady twice]
4: Ragnarok [lost to Foxy twice]
5: Devin [lost to Duo and Rag]
5: Jon? [lost to Foxy twice]
7: KillerSOS [lost to Stockfield and Rag]
7: Stockfield [lost to Duo and Jon]
9: Ilove [lost to Shady and Killer]
9: Rohan [lost to Devin and Rag]
9: Seth [lost to Devin and Jon]
9: Asian [lost to Killer and Stockfield]
13: Bo
13: Spite
13: Mekos [lost to Rag and Jon]
13: Drock
17: Waldorf [1-0, then forfeited]
17: Purple Boots
17: habiT
17: OmniOstrich [1-1, lost to Seth, then forfeited]
17: BFW
17: Mitsurugi [lost to Rohan and Mekos]
17: Snapp
17: Paiilicious
25: Lozr
25: Flamingo [lost to Ilove and Bo]
25: Doctor Yogi
25: Zell
25: 313
25: Ninja
25: FYRE
25: Kale
33: KSK
33: RocketPSIence
33: Gdorf
33: ANF
33: Mizu
33: David
33: Fiz [lost to Duo and FYRE]
33: Vortex
33: Andrew

MELEE DOUBLES

1: Karn and Yay ($40.00)
2: Lozr and Fiz ($20.00)
3: Last Minute Heroes (Foxy and THO) ($5.00)
4: Ali and Travis
5: Josh and Cam
5: DJ and Crystalnite
7: I Don't Remember (Yeroc and Boss Hog)
7: The Beasts (Slasher King and Spoon)

MELEE SINGLES

1: Yay ($40.00)
2: Lozr ($20.00) [lost to Yay twice]
3: Lord Karn ($10.00) [lost to Crystalnite and Lozr]
4: Crystalnite [lost to Yay and Karn]
5: DJ Rome [lost to Lozr and Crystalnite]
5: Cam [lost to Lozr and Karn]
7: Foxy [lost to Cam (DOUBLE 4 STOCK) and DJ Rome]
7: Josh [lost to Yay and Karn]
9: Slasher King
9: Red the Ghost
9: Rohan
9: NTMR
13: Bees
13: MOD
13: Spoon
13: ANF

BRAWL+ DOUBLES

1: The Dark Lord Bless This Team (Karn and THO) ($40.00)
2: Bill and Foxy ($20.00)
3: Flamin' Sauce (KillerSOS and Flamingo)
4: Can I help you find something? (Yeroc and Phootbag)
5: Jon and Frizt
5: Ragnarok and Seth
7: Snapp and Brohan (Snapp and Rohan)

BRAWL+ SINGLES

1: THO ($17.00)
1: Lord Karn ($17.00)
1: Yay ($17.00)
4: NC-Echo
5: Foxy
5: Fritz
7: Snapp
7: Bo
9: Flamingo
9: Bees
9: KillerSOS

64 Doubles didn't have enough participants

64 Singles was won by DJ Rome, most people didn't have time to play their matches however. He won $14.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
WTF! flamingo what the hell man? and rohan beating mits? wow didnts see that one, i knew rohan was good though. did he stay fox? or did he go mk? i should have just ****ed up my life and stayed for singles, now im pissed!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I like seeing all those new names. Hopefully they come to more stuff. Did u guys tell them about smashboards and stuff?

Foxy

Smash Master
LOL! I know I heard like 10 ppl literally (including myself... darn c-stick) complaining about screwed up controllers. XD
Oh I also had no controller the entire tournament... GofG lost mine and his leaving his backpack on a bus. I had to use random wavebirds the whole time

always just carry the money around with you so it cant get stolen.
It's always in my tight tight pants pockets, always safe, but I had to take it out and set it down/spread it out constantly just to give everyone change, do little things, register people, etcetera, I'm not surprised that it got jacked... I was more concerned with just somehow getting everyone taken care of than I was with security

Duo55

Smash Ace
I like seeing all those new names. Hopefully they come to more stuff. Did u guys tell them about smashboards and stuff?
Asian, the guy who made 9th I actually met at a scrub tourney, and invited him to come. Looks like he did pretty good, lol another asian guy that mains falco. I think they like his hair style & grappling techniques.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol only minorities can do good with falco. sk92, dehf, and now we got asian the asian sensation. who knows who will be next @.@

we should rly start askin everyone we dont recognize how they heard about the tourney and stuff. and get more ppl to start coming on here & coming to other things.

Foxy

Smash Master
Asian, the guy who made 9th I actually met at a scrub tourney, and invited him to come. Looks like he did pretty good, lol another asian guy that mains falco. I think they like his hair style & grappling techniques.
He actually did really really well, he had a bottom seed so unlike the other 9th places that went mostly 3-2, he was 5-2

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
foxy just higher me as a bodyguard, i wont do it for money, just some *** every now and again.

edit: i mean **** stignrz, we aint trying to have 100 people for brawl bi weekly's **** will never get done.

DJRome

Smash Hero
if you're doing the games, it is imperative to run melee and brawl concurrently if you accommodate setups for this format. otherwise, either remove brawl or melee from the event.

good stuff to everyone in 64 and melee.

as for payouts, i was thinking throughout the tournament that 1st place should not get more than 50% at any tournament of mine in the future and only 60% for 1st 2nd splits. i think i will use the 50,25,15,10 format in the future for non 1 2 splits except in teams.

and also, whoever ate my box of girl scout cookies i bought from maria **** you. i only had 2 of that whole box.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
dj im kinda sad ur doing top 4 instead of top5 (just cuz I support paying more ppl) but its cool that you're taking a step out there either way. yay for dj =) *clap*

lol keith, more people is always better either way u look at it, i mean nobody that plays brawl really posts on the boards any more, we got to get more people to actually go to stuff. its like how billfests would reach 60, 70 people and now our tournaments get half of that. just because we weren't really concerned with making them long-term tournament goers, we just tried to attract a new audience to that tournament specifically, ignored them the whole time they were there, didn't let them get many friendlies in, and then sent them home with nothing. its not a pleasant experience and you wont get many people coming back that way.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
dj im kinda sad ur doing top 4 instead of top5 (just cuz I support paying more ppl) but its cool that you're taking a step out there either way. yay for dj =) *clap*

lol keith, more people is always better either way u look at it, i mean nobody that plays brawl really posts on the boards any more, we got to get more people to actually go to stuff. its like how billfests would reach 60, 70 people and now our tournaments get half of that. just because we weren't really concerned with making them long-term tournament goers, we just tried to attract a new audience to that tournament specifically, ignored them the whole time they were there, didn't let them get many friendlies in, and then sent them home with nothing. its not a pleasant experience and you wont get many people coming back that way.
I've also come to realize that nobody really knows the Lucas match-up.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
u must be talking about the billfest before i came into the scene. im always freindly and try to make everyone have a good time ( no homo)

DJRome

Smash Hero
64 doubles did not run as well, which is really fine by me bc honestly i can only play on the n64 controller anyways.

also stingers, top 4 and top 6 people is different by far bc 6 is just too many people.

i think reducing the percentages still keeps the people who play for money coming and encourages other to get $ as well. like i've felt several times that it sucks for a person who got 4th not to at least get $ back. but that's changing @ dukes.

also, i encourage everyone to come to the duke melee smashfest tuesday. you guys can also bring brawl if you want as i have extra tvs.

i kind of wish the location was more centralized bc the venue was not used well at all. foxy, if ur serious about cohosting, then contact me on aim for the logistics bc it's just kind of silly if this kind of thing happens again

Duo55

Smash Ace

I agree, and not to brag but I'm always on top of making new ppl feel welcome. And this may be kinda wrong for me to do, but if I know someone is new (which I usually get new ppl at the start considering my seed) I go somewhat easy on them so they don't leave thinking "I suck at this game, I quit" or " I'll never be able to catch up to these guys. I give up" Its something I always try to keep in mind. Remember, brawl is made for casual gamers, so you hafta treat them as such until they get a competitive spark. Something some of us should remember sometimes I think.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
64 doubles did not run as well, which is really fine by me bc honestly i can only play on the n64 controller anyways.

also stingers, top 4 and top 6 people is different by far bc 6 is just too many people.

i think reducing the percentages still keeps the people who play for money coming and encourages other to get $ as well. like i've felt several times that it sucks for a person who got 4th not to at least get $ back. but that's changing @ dukes.
pp wont like this :urg:

edit: i heard there was a good lucas, i didnt meet him, but probably at the next bi weekly

edit: duo is the complete opposite of me. when it is a tourney of any nature, i never sandbag, i dont care if its my mom trying to give me the business. at the pre tourney friday night, i almost jv four stocked some link player using mk.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lmao keith

@duo yeah I do that too. even in tournament kinda...first round I normally get paired up with new people (at billfests it always happened) so I'd just go really easy on them...sometimes I almost lost because of it XD but yeah. it doesn't really work out since they don't come on here and post...but i don't really mention smashboards much so its kinda my fault. really getting people to come on here and become part of our community so they have easy ways to find new tournaments is the best plan there is @.@

DJRome

Smash Hero
well keith the difference between 60 and 50 is not that much. like it's a 16% decrease and most of the time, that's only a $10 difference

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
ten bucks? do u know what favors ten bucks can get u in third world countries? i'd tell u but the mods would perma-ban me

btw: congtratz on winning 64.

Duo55

Smash Ace
lmao keith

@duo yeah I do that too. even in tournament kinda...first round I normally get paired up with new people (at billfests it always happened) so I'd just go really easy on them...sometimes I almost lost because of it XD but yeah. it doesn't really work out since they don't come on here and post...but i don't really mention smashboards much so its kinda my fault. really getting people to come on here and become part of our community so they have easy ways to find new tournaments is the best plan there is @.@
LOL I do the same darn thing! I've even dropped a match once or twice from sandbagging so hard against a no name, but it made it alot easier to talk to them than if I would have just destroyed them, I alway get "just die..." looks from new ppl if I **** them. Like I can point out a couple of ppl that attend NC stuff regularly now because of it, but yeah even they don't post here. I'll start promoting it more.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
those "just die.." looks make me orgasm, and only feeds my insatiable appetite to **** harder.
-So Villainous

DJRome

Smash Hero
the important thing is for people to get together at the tourney and play new people and make friends. because it's much easier to convince someone to come as a social event as well than as a gaming event only

thanks keith, that game is hilarious

Gardevior

Smash Lord
well foxy this was the first time u ran a tourney with this many people, dont beat ur self up man. learn from the mistakes and **** harder next time. thats what kobe does. 100 dollars stolen? seriously guys? i thought NC was past this when it happened to bill. post brawl doubs bracket to plz

@duo, what?!? lul stingrz is some ****in trash, he should quite brawl completely and play sf4 or some other unskilled game haha. i could write a ****in novel on how bad stingrz is at brawl, its horrendous. on the next prs he shouldn't even be mentioned

edit: replace stingrz name with keith, and then u will understand my statement.
I thought SF4 was hard?

Granted, I'm going opposite of the only match I've seen - where one player was Sagat and just randomly tiger uppercut'd everywhere on the stage. And it worked.
So maybe it really isn't.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
@duo, what?!? lul stingrz is some ****in trash, he should quite brawl completely and play sf4 or some other unskilled game haha. i could write a ****in novel on how bad stingrz is at brawl, its horrendous. on the next prs he shouldn't even be mentioned

edit: replace stingrz name with keith, and then u will understand my statement.
I thought SF4 was hard?

Granted, I'm going opposite of the only match I've seen - where one player was Sagat and just randomly tiger uppercut'd everywhere on the stage. And it worked.
So maybe it really isn't.
Despite being much slower than other SF games SF4 actually has a lot of moderately difficult inputs that will force you to spend at least a couple weeks learning just the inputs of a character in order to be able to execute everything, and that doesn't include learning what combos with what and what combos are better in certain matchups, etc.

It is however a lot more about pokes and projectiles than previous SF games, hence the dislike from the older members of the fighting game community. It is somewhat painful to watch Justin Wong's Rufus get wrecked by Daigo's Ryu not because Daigo is way better but because Rufus just can't handle Hadouken/Shoryuken walling strategies well (picture DDD vs Falco. its lame ****)

And if you're talking about the same match I watched, that player lost the very next round to a blanka who used a very simple counter to tiger uppercut.

-----------------------------------------

I actually talked to at least 10 people i didnt know and asked them how they found out about the tournament and then exposed them to the other two places we advertised (smashboards/allisbrawl/facebook) and told them how to get in touch with me personally as well as Foxy on all 3 sites, and how you could find our events using search functions.

There were also a handful of melee players that happened upon us in bragaw lounge one day and sat down to play friendlies with us for a few hours. They thought NCSU only played brawl (because that is what is on at the library most of the time) and we told them we were actually hosting melee as well and gave them information about the tournament.

I also talked to a couple of people who came to the room not expecting the tournament and explained what we were doing, how it was organized, prizes, etc. A couple of them said they would search me/foxy on facebook and add us and that we should invite them to future events.

Near the end of the tournament as things were winding down, or as players reported their matches and I realized they were knocked out I tried to point them to someone who they could friendly for experience, and someone who I thought would be willing to friendly.

get at me

Top Bottom