• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 my feelings towards mlg and the maturity of our community

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
The Brawl community does lack maturity. Its not your fault tho, you lil *****s is young lol. Like every decent human being on the planet, most of you will grow up to be working stiffs who look for the little things in life to make them happy lol. But for real, you guys will mature when its your time, kids are spose to like doritos and laugh at fart jokes and ****.

Brawl will be fine without MLG. I cant stand the game, didnt go to MLG whatever, but Im sure for those of you who went it was a great experience. Sure free snacks and body wash(they were probably trying to tell some of u to shower) are nice but they dont make a great community, Im talking more about smash in general cuz once a again brawl sux ^_^ Its usually only the best of the best that make it into pro gaming anyway, similar to pro sports leagues, so all that prize money etc shouldnt be counted on for a living, except for a few of you.

The extra cash is an incentive to go hard get better and all that most definitely, but most importantly people keep coming back because they love the game. Dont let it be about the money, cuz thats when it all falls apart.

Its pretty obvious, Brawl was dropped from MLG because Sakurai is a lil *****. Nintendo wont stand by the game so its not lucrative. Still IMO, I havent read the full contract only the snippets floating around online, splitting a pot doesnt affect the bracket. Neither player forfeited, the match was played and the winner was the winner. Should it have been a bit more on the DL, umm yea, get ***** lesson learned. Would I defend said players actions based on what I read that was violated...yes. I think that its a good thing ppl stood up for them because If they knew it was against the rules they wouldnt have done it(This is very different than if they knew they would be caught), its just common practice in the smash community and its unfortunate that they got in trouble for it.

Dont let it be about the money! The community will crumble.

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
MLG's main goal is to make money. Duh. Sure if they can help people have a blast at the same time or whatever I'm sure they'll try it out at the same time. But money should be the main goal. They're not evil or something idiotic like that.....they're just a group trying to make money, As if that should need to be explained.

As for Brawl being out for the count? Well, it's too bad. I think it's kinda silly what MLG is trying to do-to promote games to the level of professional sports. Well, maybe not silly, but in any case I'd rather it not happen, with my opinion still being that if it were to happen, well whatever.

The reason I play games competitively is to win. My version of fun for this kind of thing is winning. Winning is fun. I don’t go to tournaments with the primary purpose of hanging out and having fun. It can and usually does happen , but the main idea is to win the prize. And a bigger prize usually means I had to fight harder for the win. So even if everything feels stiff and commercial, it shouldn’t matter to someone that’s just playing to win. Should the prize not be an accurate measure of the efforts I spent in order to win, well, it’s still nice regardless.

……….Unless some absurdly moronic thing like bracket-rigging or some other such garbage happens. In which case I’d best just be at the level where I won’t lose to anyone or anything.

Really too bad that this huge prize had to be let go of because of some silly slip ups. Ah well. Hey hey what can you do. Maybe sometime in the future.

QUIVO

Smash Master
All I want to say is that MLG was the best tournament I've been to. Even better than FC Diamond.. That's right, one of the legendary FC's!

What I loved so much was the hype. I've never thought that in Smash you would ever get a home field advantage. At MLG, it's insane how your local community/region comes together. It bred new regional rivalries and was great for competition. EVERYONE wanted to do well.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
MLG dropping brawl is homo, for all the people dedicated to the game this shows a lack of care.. The MLG is of course a marketing exploit and nothing more... oh yay free doritos... free condoms.. whatever... the point is, the players/competitors that make the game and the events truly special just dont get the respect they deserve anymore... I quit brawl and the MLG and tournaments for that very reason, a total lack of respect and passion for the game..

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
MLG dropping brawl is homo, for all the people dedicated to the game this shows a lack of care.. The MLG is of course a marketing exploit and nothing more... oh yay free doritos... free condoms.. whatever... the point is, the players/competitors that make the game and the events truly special just dont get the respect they deserve anymore... I quit brawl and the MLG and tournaments for that very reason, a total lack of respect and passion for the game..
what shows a lack of care is how little the brawl community travels or hypes their own game. what shows a lack of care is being given an amazing opportunity and squandering it.

Honestly over the last 5 years the only thing i've seen go downhill is the lack of respect given to the people providing the tournament for YOU. People would realize that THEY are the ones doing something for YOU.

These days it seems like so many people just feel so entitled, and it definitely shows in the attitude of the players. Between this and Nintendo not supporting Brawl at all, i'm not at all surprised it got canceled and It's really not fair to blame MLG at all.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
what shows a lack of care is how little the brawl community travels or hypes their own game. what shows a lack of care is being given an amazing opportunity and squandering it.

Honestly over the last 5 years the only thing i've seen go downhill is the lack of respect given to the people providing the tournament for YOU. People would realize that THEY are the ones doing something for YOU.

These days it seems like so many people just feel so entitled, and it definitely shows in the attitude of the players. Between this and Nintendo not supporting Brawl at all, i'm not at all surprised it got canceled and It's really not fair to blame MLG at all.
Amen, lol--if a tourney is not "up-to-par," it "sucks," in players eyes, but people forget how much running a tournament drains a person. Smashers need to be thankful for tournament host/hostess instead of putting them down and saying their tournament sucks when they get back on these boards.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
oh I hope I didn't come accross as wanting entitlement, that isn't my attitude at all I have helped numerous tournament organizers run their tournaments without ever receiving any gratitude. I used to host a smash side of a small venue myself in MA, but nobody ever showed. I don't have anyone who plays seriously anymore, nor do any of my "old smash friends" even care about smash anymore.. I felt alone enough to justify leaving, but I NEVER once felt entitled to free credit or praise.. it just sucks being an active competitive player since melee, and being felt virtually invisible to the community. Dan Jung, formerly a ranked melee player known as KDJ, had introduced me to melee and brawl respectively, and I fell for the community at a time when it thrived... since the MLG, brawl and the like... everything has gone downhill at a fast rate. Many, many people saw this coming.. not just me.. I think its time for a complete reorganization of this community because we seem to have forgotten (not everyone but a vast majority) what this game is all about. When people play in a tournament now just to win the cash prize, there is no real sense of competition or pride.. the classic "oh I main sheik and diddy and MK, the last 2 because I want to win".. I remember people wanting to win with their characters, not caring about tiers and cash... Smash isn't as fun as it used to be for me or my friends, and it's almost a burden now just to sit and watch what the community may become.. yes to anyone who flames me, I know I don't necessarily HAVE to be on this site expressing my opinions, but I am entitled to it so I will see it through.

As stated above, you're right.. the tournaments don't suck, what sucks is "entitled", if you will, players feeling that they deserve 110% of everything. The newer oncoming generation doesn't even appreciate the replay value of this game at all... You can see in the newer brawl pros versus the veteran melee pro (who now play brawl) that there's a huge attitude difference.. I personally have stopped using these forums and going to tournaments because it just isn't what it used to be for me.. It doesn't have an excitement, there's no spark...

onto the most relevant matter being the maturity of this community: I define it as pretty darn immature. more than 50% of people on here are too stubborn to see what's really happening, and a lot of veteran members, as you may know, have given up as well.. don't even get me started on the MLG because they may be "running" this site as they call it, but that doesn't mean that they are in the right or the wrong. They are in the middle.. for the right, in terms of expenditure, Brawl should have been dropped because it's profit margin is red ink when it should be black ink. As for the wrong, well the MLG sugar-coated its reasoning for dropping brawl by blaming it on 3 bullcrap excuses and one legitimate statement. Yeah sure go ahead and flame me,but the MLG is a marketing game, and anybody who knows marketing knows that without money it's considered invaluable to them. We didn't need the MLG before to have fun so why should we now?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i agree with that post entirely, i just wasnt sold by your previous opening of MLG dropping brawl is homo XD

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Personally I feel MLG was the best thing that could have happened for brawl. MLG was the best experience for brawl and it was the best experience for when I went to it for melee. It's too bad I wasn't able to attend more though but I figured that it would drop just as fast as melee did.

So now that it has been dropped will MLG ever release the videos they recorded? If I'm not mistaken they recorded videos but never released them due to never getting a response from nintendo. They never got a response but it wouldn't matter at this point.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
In a sense MLG did revive the Brawl community. I didn't even know about the smashboards or competitive Brawling until I saw it on MLG. Whilst MLG has dropped Brawl, all I see are posts about how this is the end of Brawl or something about Brawl going downhill. As a community we have an opportunity to change that. I am tired of reading all this garbage about no more Brawl at MLG. Let's figure out what we can do to build on it.

MLG helped revive Brawl from the lull it was in. Now it's time to move into a stage where we TO's and Competitors (the whole community) try to build off this. Sure we don't have the assets MLG has, but we have the drive and motive. Let's quit whining about this and come up with new national tournaments and ideas to increase our communities. A great example of this is MSU (link). They have created an international tournament where Brawl is very small and widely dispersed. Stop whining about MLG and move on. Let's continue with positive attitudes and build our competitive scene.

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
What I loved so much was the hype. I've never thought that in Smash you would ever get a home field advantage. At MLG, it's insane how your local community/region comes together. It bred new regional rivalries and was great for competition. EVERYONE wanted to do well.
Yeah, it was really fun to come together to represent our region (Florida) for travelers who were stopping there for the first time. Best tournament I've ever been to. And the atmosphere of intense preparation in the weeks leading up to it was so much fun. It makes me really want to try to get good enough to make it reasonable to travel to a national tournament.

It's a shame MLG couldn't have released information to the community regarding the minimum turnouts they required to make Brawl financially viable; we might have worked to increase attendance in order to stay on the circuit. Then again, we probably wouldn't have trusted their numbers. ~sigh~

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
In a sense MLG did revive the Brawl community. I didn't even know about the smashboards or competitive Brawling until I saw it on MLG. Whilst MLG has dropped Brawl, all I see are posts about how this is the end of Brawl or something about Brawl going downhill. As a community we have an opportunity to change that. I am tired of reading all this garbage about no more Brawl at MLG. Let's figure out what we can do to build on it.

MLG helped revive Brawl from the lull it was in. Now it's time to move into a stage where we TO's and Competitors (the whole community) try to build off this. Sure we don't have the assets MLG has, but we have the drive and motive. Let's quit whining about this and come up with new national tournaments and ideas to increase our communities. A great example of this is MSU (link). They have created an international tournament where Brawl is very small and widely dispersed. Stop whining about MLG and move on. Let's continue with positive attitudes and build our competitive scene.
Damn right. Even though I don't play Brawl other than recreationally, I could predict people playing it just as often in a couple/few years. I mean, look at Street Fighter; it's a classic. Although it's a craptastic game (in my opinion, I just suck lol.), it hasn't died down a bit in forever and there's still many a community surrounding it.

And besides, with a previous world changer like Melee, Brawl can't help but retain it's community. Especially here.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Though I strongly lament the fact that I never got to attend an MLG event, I see two very strongly positive ends of being picked up by MLG and consequently dropped.

The good of being picked up, was that it churned the competitive spirit in the community beyond anything we've seen yet. It brought out the best in players, to a point where MK was taking a backseat to even mid-tier characters. In that very short span of less than a year, Brawl's metagame advanced exponentially and it showed us how much farther we have to go in this game.

The good of being dropped is that, in reality, our community, as it stands, is not organized or mature (age-wise) enough to cap attendance in order to pique sponsor interest. Honestly, I do not believe it was M2K and ADHD who single-handedly precluded further endorsement from MLG, though, I do think it was the nail in the coffin. I think it was the collective observation that our community, as a whole, was just not ready for such a monumental privilege. 90% of the Brawl community is new to competitive gaming, whereas most of the current MLG lineup draws in players from previous installments of their respective series. Brawl though, as many of us know, is condemned and shunned by most Melee players. To top things off, Nintendo's refusal to cooperate, or even acknowledge us, really, probably didn't help. (Sakurai can ignore us all he wants, but it won't make us stop finding ways around his ham-fisted game designs <333 :ganondorf:)

The bad of it all is obvious. It will be harder to maintain the community, and let's face it, guaranteed pots >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> entry fee pots. But in the light of it all, Smash is a truly incredible game. There are so many unique characteristics to it that totally divide it from other competitive games. Smash is just a perfect combination, in my mind. It's accessible enough to constantly draw in new players, but deep enough that mastery is a never-ending process. As such, our community is almost entirely self-sufficient and self-sustaining. I don't see that changing anytime soon. MLG was nice. I still have hopes for being picked up again in the future. But for now, I do not believe we need MLG to continue on as a strong community.

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice
Mlg dropped Brawl cause lack of support from Nintendo. The issues that went down in brawl during MLG has nothing to do with it. Although they just added more water to the already vanquishing fire of brawl. Whether or not brawl isn't coming back no time soon. There is a new generation of games coming and sadly Brawl was the thing that got the boot.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Can somebody explain the "Doritos incident" please. Ive heard about it but dont actually know what happened. Im still curious I suppose.

LithiumLuigi

Smash Cadet
I'm new to the competitive Smashie scene and I can assure you that I am not immature in the slightest. :)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The MLG incident involved some smashers knocking down the dorito stand, taking said doritos and apparently an MLG staff doing so as well which attracted more people into the act, As MLG Clap was coming down from a nearby tower to stop the mayhem.

That's about all I know, and reason why i'm typing this is cause maybe some people are too lazy to even click the link. And 2 maybe next year Brawl will be back, Unless they want to pick up Gears of War 3 by then.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
The MLG people were just trying to look 'Good' to their sponsors. Obvious and lame from their part.
Unfortunately that happens sometimes. I dont know you, but I really do believe you.

Rep is important, and Brawlers didnt have one to protect so you got greazed.

asdf.zxzx

Smash Rookie
Best you can do is go with the flow. If you think that he is not truthful when he says that he has no feelings for your friend.

Sushi21

Smash Apprentice
I so agree with this thread.
I used to keep up with MLG on Melee back when they hosted it.
But now, I would like to have seen where it could have taken Brawl.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
I was looking forward to playing in an MLG tournament. It's sad that it will never happen, but the reason is obvious and has been stated numerous times. Money. That's really it. No sponsorship, no company support, and a community of younger players of whom many seem to have an unjustified sense of entitlement for what MLG offered them factor into this.

The M2K/ADHD split is not the primary reason, but it reflected on the community as a whole; One that did not respect the organization and its rules/interpretation of competitive gaming. Whether you agree with the concept of spliting the pot or not doesn't matter. It was against the rules. It was disrespectful, and as the icons of the game, made brawl players look bad.

If something positively inspiring would of happened, maybe it would of encouraged MLG to continue to push for Nintendo to support them or continue brawl for another season. Maybe. Who knows? The split incident didn't help matters, and it was certainly on their minds.

At the end of the day though, it's still a business. They were the ones fronting the cash. If they aren't making money, whether its because of Sponsorship and/or Celebs hurting their image, then they have the right and perogrative to say no more.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
I planned on going to an MLG as soon as i place 4th or higher in a local tournament, but alas, like the rest of my life, dreams are shattered.

0Room

Smash Lord
as a melee player who is certainly jealous that i never got to experience my game in MLG, i'd like to say i've never gone into a brawl topic to troll or spread dissent in the brawl community

because in all honesty, melee = smash, brawl = smash, and it's a positive thing for the whole community to have huge support on the corporate level (mlgs and the like) :)

also, for everyone who unwittingly paints a stereotype of melee players as jealous and spiteful of the brawl community, there is someone on the other side saying that brawl players are unskillful or immature or whatever else. i'd like to point out that both sides of this coin are equally stupid LOL
I mean I'm a Melee player and I'm reading these boards, you can go through my entire list of posts and you won't find a troll.
I personally don't like Brawl, it's not my thing, but if others like it go for it.

However, as far as MLG dropping smash goes, that's definitely a problem as far as money and tournament life goes. And I agree with an earlier post saying that it's not 100% our fault and that they shouldn't blame us for it. Whether or not Brawl will be added [again] though is a big question.
However as MLG has become more and more mainstream, concerned with money, and less caring about the actual games and players, you have to wonder if that's the kind of community experience you want to be having.

I mean even this post is simply saying MLG was good for money. But to be honest, if I had to choose between Pound V and MLG, I would go to Pound because of the community and the people there. It's a social game, and even OP was talking about how MLG turned it just into a straight competition, where the only thing that mattered was winning.

So MLG dropped Brawl was bad due to money, but it got a lot of people involved who wouldn't have been otherwise. And to be honest, we can't move backwards, only forwards. So maybe we should stop talking about how this is a shame [and it is, I wanted to go to MLG raleigh myself, even though I don't play brawl], but instead about how we can make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom