• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 my feelings towards mlg and the maturity of our community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
(sorry about grammer, and i got tired so this jumps around a bit)

Mlg is the best thing that could have happened to brawl. Lets be honest, without mlg brawl is a hobby. With mlg, brawl can be a survivable job. I got 7th place less than a year ago at pound and received $50, i was basically given free entry. at mlg finals, 8th place received $1000, and for there normal events 8th place received $200. on top of the insane payouts, you get unlimited beef jerky/slim jims, dorito's, hot pockets, dr.pepper, and body wash. so for your measly $35, you (technically) are fed with food/drink, and and have part of your hygene expense covered. NONE of events hosted by our community ever does this much for you, PERIOD. so saying we are better off without them, or that thy are not important is complete bull****, they have done more for us than we have ever done for ourselves.

I have never seen players motivated by anything as much as mlg. the devotion and dedication to ssbb switched gears so fast. before mlg this was a game that we all love and want to do good at. after mlg, this became a sport we have to win. mlg even converted players like myself, razor, tearbear, to permanently switch our controllers (for me its permanent at least). the tournament experience was better than anything i have seen. it was organized, lively, you were just happy to be in the atmosphere. its truly an indescribable tournament experience that i hope we all get to go through again in the future. no matter how big the communities nationals are, i have never seen such a concentrated amount of truly talented plaers, literally everyone went to mlg and gave it a shot. richbrown, espy, nick riddle, gness, esam... everyone.

(switching topics)

the hundreds of post i read by people that never attended mlg and bash it really pisses me off. i try so hard to defend the smash community when people say we are a bunch of kids and our community shouldn't be taken seriously. i try to keep people in the community when they say they are leaving because they hate the community (not the game, but the people that play it). but i can't even defend the community anymore, we are doing it to ourselves. every person that thinks its funny to "troll" the boards. every person that laughs when someone is being ignorant for laughs. every person that spreads rumors or forms uniformed opinions about events and members of the smash community. its your fault, our fault that we have taken a major step back as a community. we all need to stop tolerating and encouraging the immature behavior we see on our forums.

tl:dr
we are far worse off without mlg. they supported us financially and motivated players. if you are one of the immature people making our community look bad, i don't like you and the smash community needs to grow up and stop tolerating people like you to hopefully avoid losing opportunities like the one we have recently lost.

edit: a slight chance to have brawl at an mlg event next season, show your support and hope for the best
vote here http://forums.majorleaguegaming.com/topic/207452-throwback-events/

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I love you.

and no
I did not have a bad experience with you ;) I was editing my post when it was locked and never got back to it. I was going to make some exceptions.

namely KDJ who taught me how to play melee

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Love you Pyronic.
Think you could clean up your post a little bit, though? I had to pause at one point or another because I didn't understand what you were saying. :(

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I really, really wanted to go to an MLG. I couldn't go because I didn't have the money... I'll never be able to experience unlimited slimjims and hot pockets. :(

... oh, wait, right, and Smash too!

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I was seriously close to following SuSa about quitting on online smash after looking at these threads.

Honestly thank you logic for (no pun intended) being logical. The majority of posts I have seen have been imflamatory, unlogical and pointing fingers at x factors for brawl being dropped.

Honestly brawl should NOT return if we are here posting crap like this on forums, it is depressing. I was not at any MLG event I do not know what went on as far as behavior but if it is anything like the forums we are lucky we even made it to dallas.

Honestly the online smash community needs a clean up, aib and swf should probably be stringent and strict on moderating.

In the past 5 months we've had some major drama, the bbr rulesest 3.0, ADHD/M2K banned incident, MGC ect. A majority of this was childlike and stupid and it reflects poorly on the community.

Shoutouts to people who actually help the community

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Very good post, sir. I fully agree...the majority of this community needs to clean up its act.

MJG

Smash Hero
Wow.

Amazing.

Good Job Logic.

Spoken like a true
black
man

MLG Dallas was the BEST tournament that I have ever been to and I will never forget it.

And I owe all my thanks to Kansas and Atomsk.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
I was seriously close to following SuSa about quitting on online smash after looking at these threads.

Honestly thank you logic for (no pun intended) being logical. The majority of posts I have seen have been imflamatory, unlogical and pointing fingers at x factors for brawl being dropped.

Honestly brawl should NOT return if we are here posting crap like this on forums, it is depressing. I was not at any MLG event I do not know what went on as far as behavior but if it is anything like the forums we are lucky we even made it to dallas.

Honestly the online smash community needs a clean up, aib and swf should probably be stringent and strict on moderating.

In the past 5 months we've had some major drama, the bbr rulesest 3.0, ADHD/M2K banned incident, MGC ect. A majority of this was childlike and stupid and it reflects poorly on the community.

Shoutouts to people who actually help the community
As far as the threads go I blame the melee players who come into mlg threads (usually when a big announcement is made) and troll brawl players.

TP

Smash Master
As far as the threads go I blame the melee players who come into mlg threads (usually when a big announcement is made) and troll brawl players.
No. That is certainly an issue, but the real problem is that everyone has their heads so far up their @sses that they think they can and should post the stupidest ****ing ****. Honestly, the moderation should be much stricter in my opinion. If I had things my way, posts along the lines of "We're better off without mlg anyway, all they did was shove a ****ty ruleset down our throats and try to force us into their ways" would be banworthy. Not because it is anti-MLG, but because it is ********. Hell, everything Xyro has said has been pro-MLG and I would have banned him for his posts on the subject months ago, because they were also ********. It goes both ways. The problem is that people think their opinion is so goddamn important that it overrides common decency.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Theres a difference between trolling and honest criticism, as MLG certainly does not escape it.

Are we better off without MLG? Very few have actually said this. However, there is certainly some relief in not having Brawl as part of the circuit.

The fact is while some people are willing to bend over backwards to try and please MLG, many simply grinned and beared it. Theres a sizable portion of the community that do consider this a hobby, and are glad we no longer have to conform our community to odd outside standards. For the most part, the portion youre talking about are the 20-30 individuals who may have received a stipend or won money at an MLG event. Outside stipends and massive payouts that affected very few, everything else was give and take.

As for the people bashing MLG, I honestly doubt it would have been an issue if they had simply said they dropped brawl due to low attendance figures and a lack of support from nintendo. Even if theyd briefly mentioned how the adhd/m2k issue prevented them from finding sponsors I doubt it would have been a problem. Instead MLG decides to take potshots at our communities ethics without bothering to understand its background. If theyd known the smash community for the most part found nothing wrong with splitting (which they should have known), while they had a zero tolerance policy for even the suggestion of pennies trading hands; then it should have been front and center clear as day how they felt in the likely event it would (and did) happen. Instead a miscommunication occurred, which they 100% blamed on us, and which is 100% BS. Its very understandable why many members of the smash community would be upset with this. The fact that it was discussed with pointless additional details/anecdotes again was imho incredibly stupid, its just inviting anger from the community.

TP

Smash Master
Theres a difference between trolling and honest criticism, as MLG certainly does not escape it.

Are we better off without MLG? Very few have actually said this. However, there is certainly some relief in not having Brawl as part of the circuit.

The fact is while some people are willing to bend over backwards to try and please MLG, many simply grinned and beared it. Theres a sizable portion of the community that do consider this a hobby, and are glad we no longer have to conform our community to odd outside standards. For the most part, the portion youre talking about are the 20-30 individuals who may have received a stipend or won money at an MLG event. Outside stipends and massive payouts that affected very few, everything else was give and take.

As for the people bashing MLG, I honestly doubt it would have been an issue if they had simply said they dropped brawl due to low attendance figures and a lack of support from nintendo. Even if theyd briefly mentioned how the adhd/m2k issue prevented them from finding sponsors I doubt it would have been a problem. Instead MLG decides to take potshots at our communities ethics without bothering to understand its background. If theyd known the smash community for the most part found nothing wrong with splitting (which they should have known), while they had a zero tolerance policy for even the suggestion of pennies trading hands; then it should have been front and center clear as day how they felt in the likely event it would (and did) happen. Instead a miscommunication occurred, which they 100% blamed on us, and which is 100% BS. Its very understandable why many members of the smash community are upset.
See, this is a good post. I do disagree with parts of it (most importantly your attempt to downplay the prize money, since the prizes draw in new people to the community and increase the level of respect we can command from other communities), but Tagxy is a poster who doesn't have his head stuck up his ***. Keep up the good work, sir.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Honestly, the moderation should be much stricter in my opinion. If I had things my way, posts along the lines of "We're better off without mlg anyway, all they did was shove a ****ty ruleset down our throats and try to force us into their ways" would be banworthy. Not because it is anti-MLG, but because it is ********.
"we're better off without mlg anyway": do people oppose this? Yes, personally I disagree with it and Logic's post is spot-on about the Smash community. Do we punish people for their differing opinions or if they think differently? No, we encourage them to share their views; we leave it up to the SWF community in general to share opposing views/debate it (well, before going too far anyway)/prove others wrong.

(The flaming/trolling, on the other hand, is already dealt with by way of infractions/bans.)

TP

Smash Master
(The flaming/trolling, on the other hand, is already dealt with by way of infractions/bans.)
That's just not true. I see "LOL I got an infraction" FAR more than I see "banned (6 points)" and it's because the punishments are not adequate. Hell, take my post for example. In it, I flamed someone and censor dodged, and I'll probably never see a point for it. If I do, I'll shrug it off because the points do nothing.

And I'm not saying we should punish those with different views. I'm saying we should punish those with stupid views, views that could only be formed on a basis of disrespect.

joeplicate

Smash Master
as a melee player who is certainly jealous that i never got to experience my game in MLG, i'd like to say i've never gone into a brawl topic to troll or spread dissent in the brawl community

because in all honesty, melee = smash, brawl = smash, and it's a positive thing for the whole community to have huge support on the corporate level (mlgs and the like) :)

also, for everyone who unwittingly paints a stereotype of melee players as jealous and spiteful of the brawl community, there is someone on the other side saying that brawl players are unskillful or immature or whatever else. i'd like to point out that both sides of this coin are equally stupid LOL

merry christmas everybody

it's mad late and i can't sleep =0

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Is there any chance of an official link as to why brawl was dropped?

I'd like to give my opinion but until I see MLG's reasons then I can't really.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
No. That is certainly an issue, but the real problem is that everyone has their heads so far up their @sses that they think they can and should post the stupidest ****ing ****. Honestly, the moderation should be much stricter in my opinion. If I had things my way, posts along the lines of "We're better off without mlg anyway, all they did was shove a ****ty ruleset down our throats and try to force us into their ways" would be banworthy. Not because it is anti-MLG, but because it is ********. Hell, everything Xyro has said has been pro-MLG and I would have banned him for his posts on the subject months ago, because they were also ********. It goes both ways. The problem is that people think their opinion is so goddamn important that it overrides common decency.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion

As for the people bashing MLG, I honestly doubt it would have been an issue if they had simply said they dropped brawl due to low attendance figures and a lack of support from nintendo. Even if theyd briefly mentioned how the adhd/m2k issue prevented them from finding sponsors I doubt it would have been a problem. Instead MLG decides to take potshots at our communities ethics without bothering to understand its background. If theyd known the smash community for the most part found nothing wrong with splitting (which they should have known), while they had a zero tolerance policy for even the suggestion of pennies trading hands; then it should have been front and center clear as day how they felt in the likely event it would (and did) happen. Instead a miscommunication occurred, which they 100% blamed on us, and which is 100% BS. Its very understandable why many members of the smash community would be upset with this. The fact that it was discussed with pointless additional details/anecdotes again was imho incredibly stupid, its just inviting anger from the community.
1st issue
i fail to see how there is any benefit to brawl not being on the circuit. local tournaments did not have to conform to mlg's ruleset, they chose to. mlg is over, and T.O's still use the stage striking system, and the stage list is normally identical with the exception of two stages. the only rule that i can say truly differs between mlg and community hosted tournaments is the one giving the higher seeded player port priority and first set of stage strikes. so i would like you to to elaborate on what rules you considered unacceptable and how it forced the community to conform.

2nd issue
i will admit that there rule on splitting was vague, but is it the company or the players responsibility to explain/understand the rule? i would have to say the player. plus, this is a major company who (i feel) is trying to bring gaming to the next level and possibly one day have gaming equal to national sports. if you want gaming to go to the next level, you have to follow rules of organizations on that level, simple as that. if someone in tennis or bowling agreed to receive money from their opposition and in turn cared less about a match... they would be suspended and the media would have a field day with the stories. but the real issue with what occurred was the two of them being so vocal about it. before i left mlg dc, a player that most would consider a random told me "m2k said him and adhd split, but he said not to tell anyone." this is a no named player telling me this, before i even left the venue, if this was told to him, imagine how many other people knew about the split. splitting happens all the time in gaming communities, but the large difference is that you can't prov something that only two people know about. that was their mistake.

tl:dr
how would you feel if two of your favorite sports players agreed to split the money before a important match was played?

now i will back the community up partially by pointing out that several t.o.'s made no splitting rules and stated that if they found out about splitting they would ban the said players from their next event. unfortunately there were way more people defending m2k and adhd, thus their voices were lost in the commotion.

edit: good job xyro
i just wrote a thread about the maturity of our community and i have to see a post of a troll face. to make matters worse its coming from you, an important t.o. of texas. thank you for completely disregarding issues that i brought up about our community and for triggering what lately is becoming one of my largest petpeves

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
They lost money?

That's it?

If so then spend less, for one smash doesn't need to be played on LED flatscreens.

Personally I think Halo: Reach is a waste of a slot in MLG, they have enough FPS', Reach being the worst by far.I'd prefer the worst Brawl over the best Halo: Reach any day.

It's annoying though how Nintendo won't get involved sponsor wise etc.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Personally I think Halo: Reach is a waste of a slot in MLG, they have enough FPS', Reach being the worst by far.I'd prefer the worst Brawl over the best Halo: Reach any day.
MLG has had Halo on their circuit for a long time now, so they probably won't take out reach.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
That's just not true. I see "LOL I got an infraction" FAR more than I see "banned (6 points)" and it's because the punishments are not adequate. Hell, take my post for example. In it, I flamed someone and censor dodged, and I'll probably never see a point for it. If I do, I'll shrug it off because the points do nothing.

And I'm not saying we should punish those with different views. I'm saying we should punish those with stupid views, views that could only be formed on a basis of disrespect.
Well if they say stupid things, you should just point out why those things are stupid.

Infractions are meant if they do it in a stupid way that is against the rules. You can present stupid ideas in a good way or a bad way.

Infractions are meant if they do it in the bad way.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
and many people are presenting ideas in a way that reflects poorly on the community.

It is pretty ridiculous what is going on.

and xyro that was pretty uncalled for.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Giving him attention doesn't help the problem, Blacknight.
Report, then just let the mods do what they do.

D

Deleted member

This is what happens when you mix money with smash bros. It's a fun game, just play it. I could care less about lots of prize money, and a huge venue where they give you lots of stuff. The reason why grassroots tournaments are so successful is because you're just a group of people playing a game you love.

This may be bad for Brawl short term, but in the long run it will remind everybody why they play competitive Brawl. It's not about the money or the venue or things like that, it's because smash is a fun game, whether you have all those other perks or not.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Twilight, are you seriously asking mods to infract everyone who posts an idea you don't like/find acceptable or whoever doesn't post a novel about their thoughts?

If so, that is too subjective to establish any kind of concrete standard on. I've personally read plenty of short posts that contain more worthwhile content than a lot of the walls of text that I encounter on this site; especially in an area like the tactical discussion. xP

TP

Smash Master
Twilight, are you seriously asking mods to infract everyone who posts an idea you don't like/find acceptable or whoever doesn't post a novel about their thoughts?

If so, that is too subjective to establish any kind of concrete standard on. I've personally read plenty of short posts that contain more worthwhile content than a lot of the walls of text that I encounter on this site; especially in an area like the tactical discussion. xP
No. Post length, for one, has nothing to do with it. Besides that, the posts I want infracted are the ones that are disrespectful/immature. The idea behind the post has NOTHING to do with the maturity of the posts.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Fair enough, but perception is also a large part of it. I have yet to see you mention anything about it.

However I will agree that there are some players of either game (emphasized for those who only point fingers at one crowd) who have been posting silly, unneeded garbage. If you look at it though, the Melee players who have posted provocatively are usually of the "no-name" variety, while some of the people who post in the same manner are top Brawl players. Comparatively speaking, that doesn't look so great on the latter end.

TP

Smash Master
Agreed. It's a good thing you and I can discuss things so civilly and come to a good conclusion together.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I'm sorry but the majority of smashers (mid-level) players are not going to whine and cry about Brawl being taken off the circuit.

Is it better for Brawl to be on the circuit? Yes. But since most of us go to these big tournaments out of our own pockets, don't recieve stipends, and don't get any of the outrageous cash prizes....rest assured me and hundreds of other players are definitely not crying ourselves to sleep over this.

Of course all of the top level players are sad about no Brawl being on MLG. They have to get a real job or go to college and do something with their life.....poor them.

Also, i'm tired of hearing people complain about the maturity of the smash community and putting the blame on that. The Doritos incident was not our fault and the M2K/ADHD fiasco was pretty much a Godsend for MLG so they had something to blame the drop on instead of coming out and just saying "Brawl doesn't make us money".

Instead of having all of these "Smash Community sucks" topics, you need to be doing "Nintendo sucks" topics or something seriously.

No matter how much sucking up you do to MLG it's not going to change the fact that Smash doesn't make them money. Maturity does not = money. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom