• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
Band Name: Rhapsody of Fire
Type of Music: Power/Epic Metal

Albums: The two I recommend are "Triumph or Agony" and "The Magic of the Wizard's Dream"

This band is an Italian Power Metal band. What makes them different is that they truly emphasize a great deal of classical instruments alongside the metal instruments. In their former incarnation "Rhapsody" they even had one album which featured songs that were in three different languages and entirely orchestrated! So yeah, if you're looking for a variety, I'd really check them out. But be warned, if you're into power metal, and you get into them, they will spoil you, and you will likely turn your nose up to every other power metal band.

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
Band name: Airbourne
Style: Power Metal
Albums recommended- Any, but Runnin Wild has a bunch of good tracks

All I can say about this band is if you like ACDC, then I suggest checking out these guys.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Band: Megadeth
Genre: thrash metal, classic metal
Albums: all except risk. DO NOT BUY THAT ****. For the specific, peace sells and rust in peace.

This band may take some time geting use to, do to singer Dave Mustaine's unique sneer on most songs. Once you get past that, it's awesome. Whether it's the I-laugh-at-your-demise voice (sweating bullets), the all-hope-is-gone voice (blackmail the universe, devil's island), or the classic mustaine (all of the first album), this band is amazing.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Artist:Benefit
Genre:Underground Hip Hop
Albums:dont own one, but find his **** on youtube
Songs:Warp to world 6-9(the mario rap) and So Sick are my favs

This guy is a lyrical genious, and one of (if not the) best rappers living in America. to call him a rapper is almost an insult, he should be calle more of a "Lyrical Mastermind". He takes a little getting used to if you usually listen to stuff like lil wayne, cuz hes actually TALENTED. I know alot of Metal guys who like him, too cuz he's deep. Check him out if you want to hear Real Hip Hop

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Band: Her Bright Skies
Genre: Post-hardcore/pop
Albums: Causing a Scene, Beside Quiet Waters, A Sacrament III City
Songs: Icebreaker/Stargazer, Burn all the Small Towns, Roses

Band: Adept
Genre: Metalcore/Post Hardcore
Songs: Grow up Peter pan, Atleast give me my dreams back, An era of treachury

Band: Intohimo
Genre Post-Hardcore/(screamoish on their first album/ep)
Songs: Miss grace and her kiss on my cheek, Mirror Mirror, Hello! I'm Noah

Band: Walking with Strangers
Genre:Melodic Metalcore/deathcore
Songs: Unforgiven, Dead, buried and done

Band: Aim for the Sunrise
Genre: Post-hardcore/metalcore
Songs: The consept of right and wrong, One last prayer, If these walls could speak

Band: Saving Joshua
Genre: Post-hardcoreish
Songs: Can't remember any and youtube is down atm but they are a decent band :p

Band: Dear Whoever
Genre: post-hardcoreish
Songs: Tears of Ashes, Forever and here on after, Don't Go, Don't, Breaking the Silence

NOTE: All these bands are swedish except Dear Whoever. You might think the genre is very one-sided but I just picked my favorite non-mainstream bands around the genre

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Has anyone recommended Godspeed You! Black Emperor?
Get any one of their albums.... its perfection.

I've seen sooo many good band recommendations its insane.

In fact in case some of them weren't previously stated....lol

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=71425 <--

Some of the best musical albums to date....
Too bad I lost my iPod about five days ago and can't find it.

Underload

Lazy
You listen to some really good music, Illimatic.

I actually downloaded F#A#Infinity a while ago, but I haven't listened to it because I haven't had the patience. I'm giving it a shot now, though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Moya is the best GYBE song. Perfect length, perfect buildup and climax, and...well perfect everything.

I also recommened the album Lift yr skinny fists like antennas to Heaven a couple pages back cuz that's my favorite album of theirs.

Anyways...

John Frusciante's The Empyrean is my second favorite album of 2009 behind HORSE the Band's Desperate Living. I am a big John Frusciante fan, and I actually prefer his solo work to his stuff with Red Hot Chili Peppers. This album is his magnum opus. It's the perfect balance between accessible guitar and vocal melodies and experimentation of all sorts. Frusciante's older work is much more experimental, raw, and lo-fi. But the Empyrean has a different sound. It's atmospheric, ambient, lush, and awesomely pretty. From the opening instrumental track "Before the Beginning", which is an obvious tribute to Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain", to the haunting vocal harmonies of "After the Ending", the album is an eerie, melancholy, life-affirming ride. It's a really overlooked gem! Check it out!

these youtube links are ****ty quality but if you really need to hear an idea of the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4OBo1cltQA "enough of me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1eGIIPtn-s&feature=related "Dark/Light"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdcl1teQG3A&feature=related "Before the Beginning"

darkfox15

Smash Cadet
Well this is the firsrt time that I´ve posted in this thread, I hope you enjoy the songs.Also I put a video of my favorite song of the band

Band name/Artist: Breaking Benjamin
Genre: Alternative rock, post-grunge
Songs: Give me a sign, Breath, and especially that I like more: ""Diary of Jane""
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiBG6vuLrzY

Band name/Artist: Disturbed
Genre: Heavy metal, hard rock, nu metal
Songs: Down With the Sickness, Stricken, Stupify, and ""Sons of Plunder""
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVftXmopJt4

Band name/Artist: Story of the Year
Genre: Alternative rock, post-hardcore, post-grunge, punk metal
Songs: In the shadows and ""Until the day I die""
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNyOfIJiGxg

Band name/Artist: System of a Down
Genre: Alternative metal, progressive rock, hard rock, experimental
Songs: Psycho, Suggestions, Toxicity and ""Chop Suey""
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuEwQ6KqutY

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Artist: Mos Def
Genre: Conscious, Lyrical, and Heartfelt Hip Hop
Album: Black on Both Sides, The Ecstatic

Black on Both Sides is a lyrical masterpiece. From Speed Law, to Got, to Ms. Fat Booty, Mos is on point. This album is considered a classic by many, and is more complex than at first glance. Listen to the album multiple times to truly understand what Mos saying.

The Ecstatic is my second favorite Mos Def album, the first being the aforementioned. This album is considered "half-*****" by many, yet he is lyrically on point, and the instrumentals used in the album are excellent as well, such as the Madlib produced "Auditorium". Yes, the instrumental is on Madlib's previous albums. Yet this instrumental mixed with Mos Def's lyrical mastermind along with Slick Rick's storytelling make an excellent song. Quiet Dog is also a great song. It's simply Mos and the drums. Nothing more. IF his lyrics were read from a piece of paper, one might think it were poetry. In a way, it's poetry over drumming. "Simple the plainness, prominent basis, Zulu arrangement, rockin' amazement" are just one of the mind-provoking lines from the song, let alone album. Another classic from Mos.

Artist: Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek (AKA Reflection Eternal)
Genre: Same as above.
Album: Reflection Eternal: Train of Thought

The Train of Thought. What a fitting name for a classic album. The title alone shows that Talib Kweli has a lot to say, and an excellent way to say it.

Let me begin by saying that this album has been my favorite since I gave it a listen. With that mentioned, from start to finish, Kweli gives a performance that makes you smile, laugh, and happy overall. This album is, for the most part, uplifting. Songs like Africa Dream, Love Language, Too Late, etc. will be remembered by future generations as unrecognized (at the time) classics.

Years later this album is still, for lack of a better word, dope.
Straight up, dope.

Other albums in this lyrical/conscious/emotional Hip Hop genre that are excellent include Quality by Talib Kweli, Resurrection by Common, Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star by Mos Def and Talib Kweli, The Bootleg of a Bootleg by Jean Grae, Violent by Design by Jedi Mind Tricks, (of course) Illmatic by Nas, Enter the 36 Chambers by Wu-Tang Clan, Black Reign by Queen Latifah, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill by Lauryn Hill, Ready to Die by Notorious B.I.G, Things Fall Apart by The Roots, 93 'til Infinity by Souls of Mischief, Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest, The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul is Dead by De La Soul, Before Taxes by yU, Me Against the World by 2Pac, Lifestylez of Da Poor & Dangerous by Big L, Blazing Arrow by Blackalicious, Boy Meets World by Fashawn, Only Built for Cuban Linx by Raekwon, etc.

Just to name a few.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Artist: Farewell to Freeway
Genre: Hardcore/Post-Hardcore/Metal
Albums: Definitions, Only Time Will Tell, etc.
Notable Songs: The Desperate Age, Sound Minds, Portrait
Notes: One very underrated band, this post-hardcore/screamo quintet has some incredibly catchy songs that I'm really hooked on right now. Definitely worth a listen to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtPpw37Q3bI&feature=av2e

UberMario

Smash Master
I've been trying to find a combination of classical and techno that sounds better than just decent, (Kind of like Nintendocore, but preferably with more than 8-bits), any recommendations? I'm sure they exist.

EDIT: Oops, I thought this was a music request thread. >_<

Here are some of my favorites:

Gustav Holst's Planets:

Mars, the Bringer of War

and

Jupiter the Bringer of Jollity

(You might notice that the former is the basis for Mario's Airship theme and Legend of Zelda OoT's Saria Song is based off the latter, but I liked Holst's songs before I even played SMB3 or LoZ OoT)

Saint-Saëns - Carnival of the Animals - Aquarium
Dave Brubeck - Blue Rondo A La Turk

I just have always loved classical and ragtime music, and you can hear classic elements in today's music aswell. (Well, 90s and back anyway . . . . .)

Vermy

Smash Champion
Eluveitie (European Folk Metal):
-Quoth The Raven
-Memento
-Your Gaulish War

Septic Flesh (Atmospheric Death Metal):
-Anubis
-Persepolis
-Sangreal
-We, The Gods
-Lovecraft's Death
-Sunlight, Moonlight

Stone Sour (Alternative Rock):
-Say You'll Haunt Me
-Through Glass

3OH!3 (Electro-pop):
-Starstrukk (Feat. Katy Perry)
-Don't Trust Me
-My First Kiss (Feat. Ke$ha)
-Double Vision

A Day To Remember (Pop-Mosh):
-The Downfall Of Us All
-I'm Made Of Wax, Larry. What Are You Made Of?
-If It Means A Lot To You
-Since U Been Gone
-Have Faith In Me

Obadiah Parker (Acoustic Rock):
-Hey Ya

mind.in.a.box (EBM/Soft Electronica):
-Change
-Out Of Time
-Amnesia
-Escape

VNV Nation (EBM/Industrial):
-Chrome

Grendel (Harsh EBM/Cyber Industrial):
-Harsh Generation
-Zombie Nation V.2k5
-Dirty
-New Flesh

Heaven Shall Burn
(Thrash Metal/Deathcore):
-Endzeit
-Black Tears
-Combat
-Given In Death
-Trespassing The Shores Of Your World

Redrapper (Street Fighter Themed Hip Hop)
-SSFIV EVO 2K10 Finals Intro
-World Warrior (SSFIV Remix)
-World Warrior
-Quarterhouse Kings

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Band name/Artist: Protest the Hero
Genre: Progressive metal (although there is a large debate... they're kinda their own genre)
Other Notes: They have prolly been mentioned, but they are my favorite band so if anybody likes them just tell me. Listen to the albums Kezia and Fortress. if you come across "A calculated use of sound" you will not like the band. They play very fast, complex music and their vocalist does everything that you can think of.
everything

rsr2

Smash Lord
The Medic Droid - Electropop Synthpop

These guys formed in 2005 and became famous thanks to Myspace. They only have done a few tours until their break up. Their one CD was called The Killer Anna and it is one of my favorite CD's. The song Fer Sure on this CD isn't as good as the original and that is the only problem with the CD. I recommend listening to these guys if you just feel like dancing. Their music makes you want to dance with their catchy lyrics and the rhythm of the beats.

Fer Sure - Their most popular song
Fscene8 - My favorite song from them :D

I'll come up with more later :D

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody listen to The Kinks? They are my favorite 60s band. Severely underrated, in that they are in the same league as The Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, Beatles, and The Who, but get less respect. Some of my favorite songs include Do You Remember Walter, Waterloo Sunset, Victoria, Death of a Clown, Sunny Afternoon, A Well Respected Man, Some Mother's Son, David Watts, Lazy Old Sun, Apeman, I could just keep going.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Ladies and gentlemen,
Critics and hipsters
Have you heard the new disc by the Evelin sisters?
Famously floating with grace between eras and genres.
They sing timeless new songs ripe with double entendres
As features in Rolling Stone, Spin, The New Yorker, and Pitchfork?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWSLJszH70o
lol, this review doesn't make me want to hear this at all

anyway here's something a long time coming

HORSE the band- THE MECHANICAL HAND (2005)

This is probably my favorite album from my favorite band. If you aren't familiar with the band's style of music, it's an eclectic mix of post-hardcore, punk, death metal and... 8-bit synth melodies? Sure, it sounds like a joke band, and HORSE is definitely very tongue-in-cheek and never take themselves 100% seriously. But they are NOT a joke band. They're very passionate about their music and are always striving to experiment and go in new directions.

The Mechanical Hand is their second full length, and it's both an expansion of the ridiculous Nintendo breakdowns and a branching off into something a little more progressive and melodic. It's rare to find music so frenetic and chaotic, but so catchy and even danceable. Their songs are full of pain and uncomfort but also empowerment and catharsis. Here's an overview.

Birdo- This is one of the band's most popular and classic songs. It's also one of their best ones. Yes, Birdo is a reference to the Mario 2 character. It even ends with an awesome breakdown chant of "THROW IT BACK!". That being said, the lyrics are actually a metaphor for spousal/child abuse.

A Million Exploding Suns- One of their most energetic and riding songs around. It starts out strong with a mind-melting synth riff and doesn't let up until the very end.

Manateen- This song has to grow on you. It's very emotional but in a joking sort of way. It's about fatties who cut themselves and live on the bottom of the sea.

House of Boo- Another Mario reference. This song borrows the Ghost House Theme from Super Mario World for one section of the song. The lyrics have nothing to do with Mario.

Heroes Die- This is a short instrumental track. It's kind of boring honestly. Weak point of the album.
Softer Sounds- This is a really weird one. In fact I can't really even describe it.

Octopus on Fire- I think this song is about wanting to be something else. In the middle there is an absolutely amazing synth interlude that makes me want to dance everytime I hear it.

Soaring Quails/Taken By Vultures- These are two short songs that go together as one. Soaring Quails is a very pretty and inspiring instrumental. Taken By Vultures is a heavy, fast-paced riffraff. There's also a really funny part towards the end.

A Rusty Glove- This song is awesome. This has by far the most technical and heavy guitarwork on the whole album. The synthlines are equally impressive.

Sand- This song is sort of weak, but it has some great lyrics.

Lord Gold Throneroom- This is another classic. The song is sexy, sleek, visceral, perverted, golden, perfect. It's about a massive sex orgy overseen by Lord Gold.

THE BLACK HOLE- This is intense. Probably the most intense song on the CD. And it all ends with a meditative piano melody. A perfect closer.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Ratatat
Indie/Electronic
Drugs, Seventeen Years, Lex, Loud Pipes, Wildcat, Gettysburg

These are the more technoy types of songs, but they have whole albums filled with calming good electronic music.

I pop in a ratatat album and start doing homework. They blend very nicely.

marthsword

Smash Ace

Grand Archives.

The frontman of the soulful indie-rock band, "Band of Horses", disbanded to form his new vision. Grand Archives. Grand Archives most closely fits the genre of guitar pop. But to say that much is hardly accurate, the sound isn't so easily classified. The sound is essentially melodic guitar anthems with a shoegazer feel. In other words, soothing guitar melodies over soft, resounding vocals, always melodic. But a twinge of country in the style of Wilco, and switches in tempo give their songs an edge. In fact, frequent tempo changes keep the sound fresh, avoiding the droning Coldplay stuff. Most accurately, I would call them a cross between My Morning Jacket and Fleet Foxes. Highly recommended.

wyrfxrssn

Smash Cadet
I listen to lots of ****ty backpack rap, so here, have some underground hip-hop suggestions.

Kabuto the Python
Nerdcore Hip-Hop
Albums: Shed Skins (a Collection of **** that Sucks), Parseltongue Volume 1, Ill Ron Hubbard
All of his albums are available to download for free on http://www.scrubclubrecords.com/ (along with other nerdcore artists). Nerdcore Hip-Hop is like regular hip-hop, but done by nerds. You may ask questions like "What do they rap about? Plugging in their Game Boy chargers?" If you ask this type of sarcastic question, go **** yourself. Nerdcore covers a lot of ground. Some rap about their lives, some about anime, some about games, etc. Kabuto comes off as a sort of satirical look at underground rap, often chastising "backpack rap" and those who listen to it, while at the same time being heavily influenced by underground and golden-era hip-hop.
http://www.youtube.com/user/KABUTOTHEPYTHON

Apathy
Rap/Hip-Hop
Songs: Eastern Philosophy, Can't Leave Rap Alone, Trife-A-Saurus Rex, King of CT
Ap is part of the East Coast rap crew Demigodz with the likes of Celph Titled, Louis Logic, and Esoteric. Apathy is great at punchlines and is heavily influenced by golden-era hip-hop.

Celph Titled
Rap/Hip-Hop
Songs: F-L-A Team, Rock (Remix)(feat. Louis Logic, etc), Devastating MCs (feat. some people)
I'd go as far as to consider Celph the king of punchlines, up there with Rhyme Asylum. Celph has a tough-guy image that he portrays well. He swears a lot and raps about guns and says *****, so if you're a little ***** who worries about that kind of thing avoid this.

Ghettosocks
Rap/Hip-Hop
Songs: Steal from Wal-Mart, Guillotine, Out For Treats
Ghettosocks is a Canadian rapper from the Backburner label (http://www.backburner.ca/). Backburner is full of amazingly talented Canadian rappers. Ghettosocks is heavily influenced by golden-era hip-hop with references to Gang Starr and Naughty By Nature populating his songs. Hell, he did an updated version of He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper, and collaborated with El Da Sensei of Artifacts.

Hilltop Hoods
Rap/Hip-Hop
Songs: The Nosebleed Section, Recapturing the Vibe, Clown Prince, The Hard Road, Parade of the Dead
A three-man Australian hip-hop group consisting of MCs Pressure and Suffa and DJ Debris. Rap sounds amazing with an Australian accent, and it isn't hurt by the Hilltop Hoods' skills. Each member is highly skilled in his craft. Both emcees flow well and have many clever lines, and DJ Debris has skills like no other.

Thirsty Fish
Rap/Hip-Hop
Songs: G4TV Freestyle 101, High Tide, Get Off the Track
Thirsty Fish is a 3-man subcrew of the LA underground crew Swim Team, made up of Dumbfoundead, Psychosiz and Open Mike Eagle. Each MC is amazing on his own, and as a group they're greater than the sum of their parts. I recommend checking out Dumbfoundead's album Fun With Dumb and Open Mike Eagle's album Unapologetic Art Rap as well, as both are amazing albums. Dumbfoundead also recently released a free mixtape on his website, http://www.dumbfoundead.com/

Xander

Smash Rookie
Here's a list of good bands from the eighties

A-ha
ABC
Alan Parsons Project
Alison Moyet
Animotion
Berlin
Blancmange
Blondie
Corey Hart
The Cure
Depeche Mode
A Flock of Seagulls
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Gary Numan
Genesis
Gino Vanelli
Hall & Oates
Heaven 17
Howard Jones
Human League
INXS
Japan
Joy Division
Kajagoogoo
Kim Wilde
Laura Branigan
Michael Jackson
Missing Persons
New Order
Nik Kershaw
Pat Benatar
Paul Young
Phil Collins
Phillip Bailey
The Police
The Psychedelic Furs
Rick Astley
Rick James
Rick Springfield
Romeo Void
Scandal
Sigue Sigue Sputnik
Spandau Ballet
Talk Talk
Tears for Fears
Thompson Twins
Thomas Dolby
Wang Chung
Yazoo

Kole

Smash Lord
Circadian by Jack Sparrow

For anyone who likes chill dubstep or chillout music in general.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Dream Theater (before Myke Portnoys did leave the band...:()
"Scenes From a Memory" to be specific. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom