• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
This topic is to share bands/artists you enjoy listening to (or music in general) that doesn't meet the public eye often. So that discludes bands like Metallica (If I hear that name one more time....) or linkin park etc. Everyone knows who they are, but we all know there is better music out there, but it's just "undiscovered by the public." This is for those "mature" people in music. (By mature I mean, broad minded, open to lots of different styles of music and not necessarily one.) They can be popular, but I find that usually popular stuff isn't worth "recommending."

So let's hear some.

I'll start.

Band name/Artist: Pedro The Lion
Genre: Indy Rock
Other Notes: Since Indy rock is so broad, I'll explain. Their music is usually slower paced, somtimes with lots of "space" in their music. Usually their album tells a story. Example: The album "Control" is an album about a guy who cheats on his wife, and when she finds out, she kills him. This band's sutff is usually all depressing minor key type stuff, but it's eye opening and not far fetched. The vocals are kind of monotone. I think (some of) you guys would like this band. Just ask Canis ;)

Band name/Artist: Bach
Album: Cello Suites 1-6
Genre:Classical
Other Notes: Okay okay, I know we've all heard of Bach. But how many albums of his do you own? What? You say zero? That's what I thought ;) This is some of the most beautiful cello music I have ever heard. It's all instrumental. So if you don't like instrumental stuff, don't get this. But this is one of my highest prized collections of classical music to date.

Band name:Thursday
Genre:Screamo/Emo
Other Notes: Okay.... You might have heard of these guys. They aren't "that" popular, but they certianly have a large crowd. The biggest turn off of this band is the main vocals. They are high and kind of whiney. Some people just don't like that. I personally like it. What I like most about these guys are their lyric writing and abstract sense of style. They are also AWESOME to see in concert. At least download a song and expand your tastes ;) Except some yelling. My favorite songs by them: "Dying in New Brunswick," "Jet Black New Year," "I am the Killer," and "Standing on the Edge of Summer."

Band name:Miles Davis
Album: Kind Of Blue
Genre:Jazz/Blues
Other Notes: Allright, some old school Jazz. This album was recorded in the early 70's I believe (maybe 1969). Anyways if you are looking to discover some great jazz listening, get this album. It's all instrumental, so (again) for those who can't listen to straight music, this isnt' for you. Main instruments used (off the top of my head) are the piano, trumpet, tenor sax, bass sax, drums. And there might be a clarinet, but I forget. (There was definitely clarinet in some of his other albums). If you get this and like it, and want to hear more stuff like it, just give me a PM, or drop me a message on AIM.

Well these are my recommendations for today. I hope to hear some of yours. (I'm always looking for new stuff to listen to.)

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
I might have some genaric ones everybody likes...

Well... I'll give this a try...

Band/artist: Utada Hikaru
Genre: J-pop (combine N*sync, or venessa carlton with Japan)
Other Notes: J-pop is somewhat of a less popular genre of music, it's mostly associated with video games and some animes. But the one most people should listen to is Utada Hikaru's "Simple and Clean" mainly because it's something anybody can listen too, and is sung by one of Japan's best vocalist artist ever (and she writes all her own songs too). J-pop's popularity is slightly growing, and "Simple and Clean" is a must listen in my books.

Band/Artist: The Ramones
Genre: Rock
Other Notes: I don't think many people have respect for this band, and I believe that if they do they only know the song "Blitzgrieg Bop", granted it is a great song, but this band has done other great songs as well. It's just too bad that Joey Ramone died years ago, I would of loved to see them make other songs.

That's all I've got for today, by tomorrow I'll post other songs that are must listens. :shyguy: :beezo:

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Would we be allowed to reccomend specific songs also?

Band/Artist: Maaya Sakamoto
Genre: J-pop
Other notes: This singer is my current favourite, she does a lot of songs for anime including, Escaflowne, Cardcaptor Sakura, Rapxephon, Wolfs Rain and some others I think. Not to say she doesn't have her own original stuff too though. She has a very sweet and gorgeous voice, well not as in candy sweet, but I think you get the idea. If you're into slow and want some english (^_~) I HIGHLY reccomend "Gravity" from Wolfs Rain, the lyrics are so beautiful in that song. "Yubiwa" is also a fantastic song and for more upbeat can't go wrong with "Hemisphere"

*goes through MP3 collection to find more to reccomend*

Kit Fox

Smash Ace
Blitzgrieg Bop? Phil, it's Blitzkrieg Bop.

Band/Artist: AC/DC
Other Notes: Everyone knows AC/DC! Little can be said about AC/DC that isn't already deeply understood by virtually everyone. Their relentless power chords have ruled rock music and endured through all of its varying forms for nearly three decades. "Highway to ****" is my favourite song. AC/DC rocks!

silverpup

Smash Journeyman
AC/DC rules! I think Back in Black is better than Highway to ****, but that song is still the shiznit also. Phil, weren't the Ramones punk?

Bazooka, I may like "Pedro the Lion", it sounds good, so I'll check it out. Hmm...**goes through long list of cool bands**

Band/Artist: Barenaked Ladies
Genre: Rock and pop
Other Notes: Man, these guys are awesome. You may have heard of this group. They're perfect to listen to at parties and are just right for chilling. My favorite songs would be "One Week" and "The Old Apartment". I love them. I recommend it.

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
This may seem like a dumb question but... Is J-pop in Japanese? I'm not so sure I'd like listening to music I couldn't understand.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
the j stands for jeenius

band/artist :Yokko Kano
Genre: She writes all kinds of music from pop to blues, but pop as in up beat, not as in popular.
other notes: She does all the songs for cowboy bebop, the anime, and even if you dont like the show the music is still great. AND, all her songs are in english, so you can be sure to check it out. There are a lot of songs by her, so I would recommened the following to check out first.
Greenbird: gospelly, probably best if you've seen cowboy bebop to enjoy it.
Ask DNA: a very cool song, upbeat, and also very cool.(its cool.)
Rain: Kind of a depressed song, but the lyrics are good, and the organ is very touching.
Is it Real?: another depressed song, probably wont be as enjoyed as others.

Sastopher

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Pedro is more commonly described as emo (at least in the new, softer sense of the genre). Anyway, I have to second this recommendation as Pedro the Lion is an awesome band. It's a shame they've had bassist problems as of lately, and it really bums me out David Bazan won't play Rapture. -_-

Band name/Artist: Death Cab for Cutie
Genre: Indy Rock/Emo
Other Notes: Small band from Bellingham, WA who are beginning to grow in popularity. Their lead singer, Ben Gibbard, has also done a number of other side projects, including All-Time Quarterback and the increasingly popular The Postal Service.

Band name/Artist: Minus the Bear
Other Notes: Minus the Bear is a high energy syth-rock band with amazing talent. There's no really good way to describe the sound that comes out of these guys because it's just so original. A cool fact abou them is that one of their guitarists frequently uses a technique adopted from 80's rock solos known as tapping, but he uses it in a very tactful way. At first you think the melodies are being played by some sort of synthesizer. Anyone who's played guitar will be impressed by the melodies that this guy plays out.

Band name/Artist: The Shins
Other Notes: A softer sound with a tongue-in-cheek taste of irony and almost emo-like lyrics. I don't know where they're from but they blow my mind.

Band name/Artist: The Thermals
Genre: Punk Rock (not that wussy poppy kind)
Other Notes: Lots of energy and some of the most creative lyrics I've heard in a long time. I didn't like them at first, but I warmed up quickly. Somewhat of a garage-sound (which is what initially turned me off to them) but there's a deeper refined quality to their music too.

Band name/Artist: The Strokes
Genre: (Indy?) Rock
Other Notes: The Thermals sound a bit like these guys do, but you can tell The Strokes have been around longer. I really don't know much about the band as they're the first band on this list so far I haven't seen live. They sound great though.

Band name/Artist: Philip Glass
Genre: Minimalism
Other Notes: Minimalist composer, has done some great things but a lot of his work tends to be hit or miss. He did the score for The Truman Show and a few other movies (an artsy series I won't even try and spell, much less pronounce). He also did a few really cool operas, and I'd recommend checking out Einstien On the Beach and Satyagraha. Often I find his best pieces are at the beginning and and of a work (such as the first and last songs of both Satyagraha and Glassworks). If you like him, check out John Adams and Ravi Shankar.

Band name/Artist: Modest Mouse
Other Notes: These guys have been around the block a while, so the probably stand the best chance of being recognized out of most of my recommendations here so far. They've got a somewhat rough sound but the band does some really amazing things.

Matthias2k2

Smash Lord
[bandname/artist] Train
[genre] Pop/Rock
[othernotes] yeah yeah yeah, I know, they're mainstream and most people have heard of them, but I just got "Drops of Jupiter" solely for the hit single [of the same name] alone and I was truly impressed. Their songs are so full of emotion, and Pat Monahan has an awesome voice. He never oversings and the lyrics sound so personal. The songs are catchy and there's a lot of variety. My favorites [besides Drops of Jupiter] are "Respect", "Mississippi", "It's About You", and Something More." I plan to get their other two albums ["train" and "My Private Nation"] soon.

[bandname/artist] Acoustix
[genre] A cappella/Barbershop
[othernotes] I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I must be the only person on this board that listens to barbershop. Acoustix is THE BEST in their genre. There are no better quartets. If you were to listen to only one barbershop group in your life, this would be the one. They've got awesome diversity and a blend like nothing else. all 4 of them are extremely talented. whether you want patriotic, christmas, jazz, songs of praise, or tried-and-true pure barbershop, they've got it all. I urge you to download "Blackbird Medley"[or any song off of "Stars & Stripes"], "All the Way", "Orange Colored Sky", "Irish Blessing", or "Simon and Garfunkel Montage". I don't doubt you'll be impressed. [well, if you aren't, then I guess barbershop isn't your thing. But please try before you dismiss it!]

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
All of you had to see this coming. I mean it's in my sig.

Band/Artist: King Crimson
Genre: Progressive Rock (they created it in 1969)
Other Notes: This band has been around for a little more than 30 years. One of the main guitarist and composer, Robert Fripp, is considered God by all that have read, met, or had some interaction with him. He is 56 years old and burns up the guitar. For those interested, I suggest getting 21st Century Schizoid Man, Red, FracKtured, Level 5, and Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With.

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well Pedro The Lion has some very emotional songs, but I don't think that qualifies them into "emo." Techincally all rock is emotional, but we don't call everything "emo." I'd say they are more Indy Rock than emo. When I think of Emo, I think of thursday. I think of whiney vocals with complex rhythm guitar (and drums). But technically you can't classify rock anymore. Everything is so different. Except for the main stream rock. Genres should be broad. Like "jazz" or "classical" or just plain old "rock." =p

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Re: the j stands for jeenius

Originally posted by ender
band/artist :Yokko Kano
Genre: She writes all kinds of music from pop to blues, but pop as in up beat, not as in popular.
other notes: She does all the songs for cowboy bebop, the anime, and even if you dont like the show the music is still great. AND, all her songs are in english, so you can be sure to check it out. There are a lot of songs by her, so I would recommened the following to check out first.
Greenbird: gospelly, probably best if you've seen cowboy bebop to enjoy it.
Ask DNA: a very cool song, upbeat, and also very cool.(its cool.)
Rain: Kind of a depressed song, but the lyrics are good, and the organ is very touching.
Is it Real?: another depressed song, probably wont be as enjoyed as others.
Sorry ^_^' Just thought I'd point out, not all Yoko's songs are English, she composes the music for Escaflowne and the songs from Escaflowne aren't in english ^_^ As well as Hemisphere. Although, generally a lot of her songs are english.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
How did i know that Eric was going to put King Crimson? Heh, i haven't got round to listening to them yet, but i got's Kazaa, so i'll have a look tomorrow methinks.

Artist/Band: Three Inches of Blood
Genre:Really old heavy metal.
Other notes These six Canadian boys left their hardcore and emo roots to produce some of the oldest heavy metal you've heard. They're all in their early 20's and they play old heavy metal, like Iron Maiden old. "Kill the Orcs" is definately recommended. These guys sing about all medieval stuff, which wouldn't be out of place in any fantasy novel. Incredibly high pitched vocals too, sung by Jamie Hooper and Cam Pipes.
Reccomended if your feeling nostalgic about metal (er, from like 30 years ago), or whther you want to see what metal really is.

EDIT

Band/Artist: Funeral for a Friend
Genre: Emo/post-hardcore (really hard to group these guys)
Other notes: I really don't know what to say about these, i'ts really hard to try to explain them. Er, they're from Wales, hooray! Download "This Year's Most Open Heartbreak", or "10-45 Amsterdam Conversation" to see them at their best.

Evil Sacrafice

Smash Journeyman
Artist/Band - Cradle Of Filth
Genre - Death Metal
Other Notes - 2nd fav band I like to mention that so many ppl never heard of. Their music depends on the song so it changes. Its metal, thats some what deep. First time you hear them you may not like them cause its hard to understand what they are saying. Plus some of their songs are a bit on the demonic side, which is why my mother hates it. Spread the word, and listen to this band :chuckle:

Cerebrate

Smash Lord
Band Name: Zwan
Genre: Rock/Pop
Album: Mary Star of the Sea
Other Notes: Zwan was formed in 2001 by Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan after the band's break-up the previous year. It combines the unique vocals of Corgan with more high-pitched guitar playing than was usually found in his older work, along with the incredible talent of prodigal Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlin. Their music is generally lighter and more upbeat than Pumpkins fans may be used to, but Corgan's wonderful songwriting shines through and manages to avoid being cheesy and clichéd.

On a side note, Phil's mention of the Ramones reminded me of something: The guy I bought my truck from accidentally left a Ramones Mania CD in the player, so I got it for free. You get what you pay for.:p

AeroScap

Smash Journeyman
Artist/Band - Radiohead
Genre - Alternative
Other Notes - my fav band, british bred. Very good, lyrics are fantastic. music is even better. I recommend

Karma Police (very different)
Creep (sounds goo with bass)
Just (acoustic beginning, lots of chords)
High and Dry (slower song very deep)
My Iron Lung
True Love Awaits (pure acoustic sounds the biz even though only bootlegged version is availible)

Game & Watch

Smash Lord
Band name/Artist: Mr. Oizo
Genre: Experiment Bass
Other Notes: You already probably heard of this guy, or the single 'Flat Beat'. I've heard most of this guys song and it's pretty cool. He takes the same bass and creates many different sounds and songs. He is also really good when it comes to record scratching 'Feadz On'.

Band name/Artist: Alan Braxe & Fred Falke
Genre: House
Other Notes: These guys make some really easy listening songs. Soft enough to listen while reading a book, but able to make a club dance. The bass for 'Palladium' and 'Penthouse Seranade' is really nice too :) .

Band name/Artist: Alex Gopher
Genre: Funk
Other Notes: Ah, songs like 'Time' and 'With U' are the type of music you would listen while your in one of those cars that bounce when going down the street.

Band name/Artist: Benjamin Diamond
Other Notes: The guys type of style is just like Alan Braxe & Fred Falke, but he does vocals on his songs. 'Fit Your Heart' is an example.

Band name/Artist: Cassius
Album: Au Réve
Genre: Random House
Other Notes: The music here is based around house music. But he teamed up with people/groups like Ghostface Killa and Joelyn Brown to create rap 'Thrilla' and rock 'I'm A Women'.

Band name/Artist: Daft Punk
Other Notes: These guys are pretty amazing. Basic house music. Their 1st album was a mix of house, funk & scratching. The 2nd album tho had more vocals & beat. Plus their music videos for the 'Discovery' album are done in anime :) . 4 Videos are out now (One More Time, Aerodynamic, Digital Love, H.B.F.S.) the rest will be presented in this movie called Interstella 5555 I think.

Band name/Artist: Darude
Genre: Underground house
Other Notes: Most of the songs on this album like 'Sandstorm' and 'Drums Of New York' are trance music. Or, the type of stuff you would hear at a rave.

Band name/Artist: DJ Falcon
Other Notes: Again, with the house music. It's pretty cool, nothing to big. But do check out 'Together' & 'So Much Love To Give' by DJ Falcon & Thomas Bangalter if you want some really cool house tunes.

I'll post more later :) .

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Mr. Bungle
Type: Experimental
---
Really trippy, they have neato songs, and they've done quite a few covers of video games and TV shows and the like (PINK PANTHER!!!). I don't really know how to describe them, a good song is "Goodbye Sober Day."

Blind Guardian
Type: Hard Rock/Elvish??
---
When I say Elvish, I mean that alot of their music is inspired by LOTR and it sounds like a modernized version of some old elvish type stuff. The vocalist is great. My absolute favorite song by them is "Nightfall" it's just so epic and..well, good. The guitar in it is unbelievable, the whole song for the guitar is an endless solo. Another great song is "Bright Eyes".

Demons and Wizards
Type: Same as Blind Guardian
---
This is actually a band composed of Blind Guardian and a similar band Iced Earth, I haven't heard all of their songs, but two I can really recommend "Fiddler on the Green" and "Blood on My Hands"

Scatman John
Type: Pop, Techno, uh...Scat?
---
Almost everyone has heard "I'm the Scatman." But I never realized how many songs he has, and they're all great. I can't recommend him enough to anyone who likes this kind of music. Aside from the aformentioned song, good ones are "Take your Time", "Only You", "Quiet Desperation (GREAT song)", and "Everybody Jam", "I Want to Be Someone" and "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Mind".

silverpup

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Sastopher
Genre: Punk Rock (not that wussy poppy kind)
Erm, that "wussy poppy kind" of punk rock is not punk rock at all, it's just poser punk. They're just like hip-hop/pop/etc...because real punk rock bands are all garage-y like you said...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Artist: We should all know who Billy Joel is.
Genre: Sorta softish rock&roll with a lot of different modern piano themes.

This guy is good. You either don't like him or like him, and I like him. My fave songs are Vienna and Just the Way You Are, and he has dozens more.

Artist: Boston Pops Orchestra
Genre: Anything they want

They are one of the best orchestras in the world, and they love video game themes. They have done Mario Bros, Zelda, FF7, and more popular media themes such as Batman and Pink Panther. They do that old classical stuff, but their renditions of everything are very nice.

Artist: Hirokazu Ando
Genre: heh... Nintendo

Heh... the ssbm composer guy.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
Band Name: Incubus
Genre: Alternative
Other Notes: Incubus is a band with a very diverse style, over the course of their four released albums the style has differed with each one.
Reccomended Albums: S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
Reccomended Songs: A Certain Shade of Green, Under my Umbrella, Vitamin

Band Name: A Perfect Circle
Genre: Alternative
Other Notes: A Perfect Circle is the side project of Maynard James Keenan, the lead singer of the band Tool. The music is very melodic with many songs using the violin along with the traditional rock instruments, most of the songs are a middleground between soft and hard music.
Reccomended Albums: Mer de Noms
Reccomended Songs: Judith, Magdalena, 3 Libras

Band Name: Jimmy Eat World
Genre: Emo/Rock
Other Notes: Jimmy Eat World is a fairly well known Emo band, but their best stuff comes from their lesser known album, Clarity. This album has few really hard songs, with most of them being softer and more emo-y
Reccomended Albums: Clarity
Reccomended Songs: Your New Aesthetic, Table for Glasses, World is Static

Ticadrius

Grammar Hammer
BRoomer
Underrated CDs!

Yeah, Bach is fantastic. The Barenaked Ladies, Daft Punk, AC/DC, the Ramones, and Jimmy Eat World are all worth listening to.

Band Name:The Kinks
Album: Lola Versus the Powerman and the Moneygoround: Part One
Other Notes: A very innovative album, especially for its time (1970), and was the first ever concept album to do nothing but criticise the music industry, and its obsession with money over art. Ray Davies's songs are all fantastic, and all take shots at the d!cks that all were jerks to him after his early success, and expected more of his old, boring early works, but were given no hits for 6 years. Also, this album contains "Lola," a fantastic single. Though most consider Arthur and Village Green both better albums, I haven't heard either, and Lola is an amazing CD.

Band Name: The Grateful Dead
Album: American Beauty
Other Notes: No doubt, the Dead's best studio album. Most of their studio stuff pales in comparison to their live stuff, but this album is probably the one exception. American Beauty contains many well-known Dead songs, as well as some good, but lesser-known Dead songs. Defenitely worth getting, especially the new extended album.

Band Name: Less Than Jake
Genre: Ska/Pop/Metal/Punk
Album: Hello Rockview
Other Notes: While most put Losing Streak and Pezcore above this one, I think that this album was their best. The horns are good and loud, and the guitar is not as obtrusive as the other albums. The songs are very entertaining, and more fun to listen to than many of their songs. The tunes are more catchy.

Band Name: The Who
Album: Quadrophenia
Other Notes: Alright, I'll admit that Who's Next is the better album, but Quadropenia is The Who's best rock opera, better than Tommy for sure. And I like it more than much of Pink Floyd's stuff. The story is about a mod named Jimmy who has difficulty dealing with the fall of the mods in late '64 in Soho. The first disc is all about him being unable to cope with his vile friends, and his family that he despises. So at the start of the second disc, he heads off to the beach where he had so many good memories, but he realizes that the mods are really over when he sees their leader now working as a bell boy in a hotel the busted back a year earlier. Jimmy finds himself unable to deal with being an outsider and unwilling to let the mods die. So, he gets drunk off his ***, rents a boat, sails it off to a rock miles offshore, and passes out. The boat sinks while he's asleep, and he is stranded in depression. That's how it ends. It implies that he dies. The songs are of better quality and has a better storyline than Tommy. The rythym of Entwistle's bass is amazing, and Moon's drumming is just incredible. This is the Who at their best.

silverpup

Smash Journeyman
I have more...

Band/Artist: The Traveling Wilburys
Genre: Some sorta rock :p
Other Notes: This is a pretty old band. I know this 'cause I've been listening to them since I was 4. My favorite song by them is Margarita...I never looked at the album name, heh...but that's my favorite song. They're good...

Band/Artist: The Beatles
Genre: Hmm, it's like old rock...
Other Notes: Okay, this was my first favorite band. I know the lyrics to almost all of their songs and own a lot of their albums (if not all of them). I've known them since I was born and I even sent a letter to them when I was around 3 years old...but that's another story, heh. Well, they're really good, and I like all of their albums, so I don't have any recommendations.

Incrediblorian

Smash Apprentice
BAND NAME: 1) Reveille and 2) (hed) p.e.
TYPE: rap/metal
notes:these are 2 of my fave bands, although reveille jsut recently brok up:( they had 2 unbeleivably awesome and original albums, but you ahve to really like it to appreciate it, so give it time to settle in, and (hed) p.e. is a black vocalist backed by all white musicians, giving it the feel of a regular metal band with unbeleivable lyrics and rhymes that will blow you away (wow i sound like a friggin commercial here, lol)
Recommended songs: hed pe--->crazy legs, crazy life, bartender
reveille--->what you got, untied, down to none, catarax

BAND NAME: Nonpoint
TYPE: just hard/soft rock
notes: very easy to listen and get to like, this is now my number one fave consider reveille(above) is no more, i can listen to this stuff no matter whats going on with me, its just awesome
Recomended songs: Nonpoint --->really anything they make is awesome, most songs are catchy and cool, so just browse around and give it a shot

BAND NAME: 1)Everclear and 2)Trapt
TYPE:i think its soft rock
notes: both are very catchy and everclear has been around for alooong time now, so most peolpe know who they are, and trapt is pretty new to the music scene but aren't lacking in talent at all
recomended songs: everclear--->(same as nonpoint(above))
Trapt: stories, still frame, hollowman

BAND NAME:hot action cop
TYPE: i have no clue, someting all there own, kinda pop-ish, some rock in there, and maybe some techno as well
notes:very fun to listen to, odd lyrics at times, but all around a band anyone can listen too, they got soemthign for everyone
recomended songs: doom boom, fever for the flava

well thats all for now, ill post more late if i feel there is someone else to get other people hooked on...,.peace

Geo

Smash Ace
Band/Artist: David Bowie
Genre: Rock.... but kinda varied the mans been around for a long time and his style changes alot. There's like the porno music funk you hear in "1984" and "Fame" then theres like this really cool melody in "Five Years" and the good old rock from "Suffragete City". Anyways it's varied depending on the album.
Other Notes: OK so I only have "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars" but I am in love with it. Can't stop listening to it. I'm sure Bowie will appeal to you cause he has so many styles.

Another Bowie fan come and help me out I didn't do him justice with my post. So I'll say this: David Bowie is God.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Band/Artist Name: Evanescence
Genre: Dark/Grunge Rock
Other Notes: Okay yeah so you've probably heard of this group, and certainly probably heard their hit song "Bring Me To Life" (it was on DareDevil, and they play it on practically every radio station ALL the time). But this group I really, really love. They have a very dark theme to all their songs, but the main singer has a beautifull, almost angelic voice. Combined with some rock, this can make for some very, very, awesome and moving music.
My favorite songs by them would probably be, "Bring Me To Life," "Haunted," "You're Taking Over Me," and "Hello."

Band/Artist Name: Superchic[k]
Genre: Punk Rock
Other Notes: Haha, this band has some pretty-well known songs, but in general they're not that well known. Some of the lyrics on their songs are VERY funny, and they generally have a very quick but funny sound to them. Overall I really like this band. ^_^

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Band: Queens of the Stone Age
Other Notes: Lately I haven't been able to stop listening to their music. Their latest album owns (IMO)

X Japan

Smash Lord
Band/Artist Name:X Japan
Genre:J-Rock
Other Notes: One of the most famous rock band in Japan.lead by their drummer/composer/songwriter Yoshiki.this band has some pertty f**king good songs like Endless Rain,Blue Blood,Kurenai(i think thats how its spelled),Art of Life,X and Forever Love that was in th X/CLAMP series soundtrack.this group is at least should be given a shot.

MetalShade

Smash Journeyman
Band\Artist: The Pillows

Genre: J-Rock

Other Notes: Dont let the name decieve you, they're good. And if you want to sample some of their tunes and you stay up to at least 12:30 pm and get basic cable, tune into Cartoon Network and watch FLCL, They're on the soundtrack. They say some stuff in english.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Artist: Mega NRG Man

Genre: Eurobeat

Other notes: He owns. He does, as far as I know, each of his songs in both English and Japanese. As you can probably guess from his name, most of his songs are high-energy eurobeat tracks. Try 'Back on the Rocks', 'Take me Back to Tokyo', and 'Night of Fire' for some good examples of his songs.

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
Artist: Charles Mingus
Genre: Jazz
Instruments played: Stand up bass, and piano.
Other comments: Okay, you should really check this guy's piano playing out. It's very unique and his stuff is the kind of stuff you can sit and think about. This guy has some weird stuff out there that you will have trouble connecting with or "getting in to," but I think you'll find some real nice stuff. Usually there is more than a bass/piano in his songs (On the CDs I have there is only 1 piano song). I've heard some great sax playing on the CD I have of his. I think thiese CDs are called Anthropology or something like that. It's a 2 disc set. Anyways check him out.

MJS

NOT A FINGAH!
BRoomer
Artist: Procol Harum
Genre: Art-rock/progressive rock
Album: A Whiter Shade of Pale (aka just "Procol Harum")
Procol Harum was a band that revolutionized rock at the time with Gary Brooker's integration of keyboard instruments into a rock band. This album is their most successful and most popular. The title track is a beautiful slow song, and the album hosts a slew of other classics. "Conquistador" is a briskly paced song that was a hit at the time, and got ten times better when Procol performed it on a later album with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. "Something Following Me" is a haunting, almost bluesy piano melody about being haunted by your own death. This is an astounding album that's worth a listen.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Artist: Tenacious D
Genre- Rock/Comedy
Album- Self titled.
Composed of Jack Black (of Orange County and Saving Silverman fame) and Kyle Gass, these guys really ****ing rock. While live, they both use acoustic guitars. Not only are lots of their' songs really funny stuff, they have musical talent. Also, I think Jack has a great 'rock' voice, as demonstrated in songs like 'Tribute' and 'Wonderboy'. Out of some of their non-album songs, I really recommend 'Jesus Ranch' and 'Sasquatch'. For all around good songs, 'Kyle Quit the Band', 'Karate', and 'Explosivo'. Oh, and the 9 minute long epic song, 'City Hall' ^^

Artist- Pink Floyd
Genre- I dunno...Rock?
Album- Dark Side of the Moon, and The Wall double Album.
Yeah, everyone has heard 'Another Brick in the Wall', but they have quite a few songs worthy of notice. I've been recently getting into these guys, my sister loves them. My favorite song by far is 'Learning to Fly', which has some of the most beautiful imagery in it, along with 'Goodbye Blue Skies' and 'Time'. Oh yeah, and 'Hey You'.
I think it's safe to say that they're quite varied.

Oh yeah, and the movie 'Pink Floyd: The Wall' is really great, too. Especially if you're on heroin or LSD.

Tizex

Smash Journeyman
If you dig Pink Floyd, "One of These Days," and "Echoes" off of their album "Meddle" are instrumental masterpieces (Echoes is shortened by a couple of minutes on the "Echoes" Best of Pink Floyd CD).

But anyway, on with the bands.

Artist: Built to Spill
Genre: Indie Rock
Albums: There's Nothing Wrong With Love, and Perfect From Now On
Comments: I've listened to a good deal of music, and I like to say I have a good understanding of what's good. I know my roots, and I like to think that I know what constitutes a good band. Some bands are revolutionary, while others are inexplicably excellent. Built to Spill is one of those bands. Indie rock hero Doug Martsch basically IS the band, and let me tell you, the man is a genius. The insanely catchy songs off of "There's Nothing Wrong with Love" go so well with the light hearted and catchy lyrics (ie) "Jack thought it twice and thought that that that made it true," or "Waking up with a head full of bed full of what she said. She hadn't thought of it for awhile, but when she did she thought of it differently than she thought she should be thinking. Just the thought of it's enough to penetrate my comfort zone." Listening to this record makes me happy. And as for Perfect From Now On, the follow-up to There's Nothing Wrong, I get incredibly sad yet full of admiration and wonder when listening to the musical depth and complexity. Whereas There's Nothing Wrong was all about life through the eyes of innocence, like that of a child, Perfect From Now On is a deep introspective masterpiece. The songs don't rely on Martsch's lyrical talent, rather conveying emotions through an aural atmosphere. Man do I love this album.
Songs: Big Dipper, Car, Distopian Dream Girl, Twin Falls, I Would Hurt a Fly, Stop the Show, Velvet Waltz, The Plan, You Were Right, Time Trap.

Artist: The Velvet Underground
Genre: Old School Prog Rock, Experimental Rock, (I guess some Pop rock, Noise Rock in some instances)
Albums: The Velvet Underground with Nico (Nico sucks), White Light/White Heat, The Velvet Underground, Loaded
Comments: They weren't a popular band. But they changed the face of music. For those of you who haven't heard Velvet, the singer and lead guitarist (basically Velvet) Mr. Lou Reed did "Walk on the Wild Side" the "And all the colored girls go, do do do, da do do do duh do do, dah do, dah do, do do do" song. On a side note, I tear almost every time I hear the beauty in "Heroin." Now I am no junkie, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the most beautiful things I'll ever hear. I'm sure some of you will hate them, but for those select few of you, discovering The Velvet Underground will be the most rewarding experience of your life.
Songs: Heroin, I'm Waiting For the Man, Sweet Jane, Rock and Roll + A lot of other songs.

Artist: Sonic Youth
Genre: Experimental/Noise/Indie Rock
Albums: Sister, Daydream Nation, Dirty
Comments: I'll keep this brief. A more artsy form of chaos in music. If you're more into traditional rock, Dirty would be the album for you. But if you're avante-garde and all that, you'll basically love almost everything great about them.
Songs: (My favorites are Teenage Riot, Theresa's Sound World, and Karen Revisited)

Arist: The Pixies
Genre: Hard/ Indie Rock
Albums: Surfer Rosa(quirky), Doolittle(great), Bossanova(More tame and surfer like), Trompe Le Monde (A pretty solid album)
Comments: I'll put it this way: Nirvana would be nothing without The Pixies. I'll admit, some of their songs absolutely suck. A lot don't, though (Understatement).
Songs: Where Is My Mind, Gigantic, Wave of Mutilation, Debaser, Velouria, Alec Eiffel, U-Mass, Subbacultacha, Here Comes Your Man, The Happening (Well I like it.)

Mmm, music.

Tizex

Smash Journeyman
They've been done, but I'll list some Radiohead and Pink Floyd songs too.

Pink Floyd: In the Flesh, Brain Damage into Eclipse, Great Gig in the Sky, Money, Dogs, Sheep, Wish You Were Hear, Shine on You Crazy Diamond (the first parts), Welcome to the Machine, Mother, Have a Cigar, Astronomy Domine, See Emily Play, Interstellar Overdrive, the aforementioned Echoes and One of These Days, and Young Lust.

Radiohead: Almost all of OK Computer: Airbag, Sub. Homesick Alien, Paranoid Android, Exit Music (For a Film), Karma Police, Lucky, No Surprises, and The Tourist.
Then I like, Just, My Iron Lung, Street Spirit (Fade Out), Black Star, The Bends, Planet Telex, The National Anthem, Morning Bell, Everything in it's Right Place, Idioteque, 2+2=5, A Wolf at the Door (best song on the album), There There, Go to Sleep, Anyone Can Play Guitar, Like Spinning Plates (album and live), True Love Waits (some of the best acoustic guitar Thom's done. Ever.) Killer Cars, Talk Show Host, and I guess Creep.

I like both of these bands.

Very much so.

Canis lupus

Fab Dandy
BRoomer
I second Gerudo Knight's recommendation of Jimmy Eat World's Your New Aesthetic, and of course Pedro the Lion ;).

Mmm... I only have one non-FOB recommendation of my own.

Artist:Switchfoot
Genre:Alternative Rock
Recommended Songs:You Already Take Me There, Meant to Live, Loser, You

A great friend from devArt recommended Switchfoot to me. Great guitar. The Lead vocalist takes some getting used to - he has a thick, milky voice. In terms of style, they're sorta divided between slow music (five of their songs have been used for the movie, A Walk to Remember, a fact that I dislike) and just boisterous rock. They're anything but dark, which is good for a change.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Well, uhhh... this post is only for a couple songs, but... they're good. Yeah, they're pretty good... mmhmm...

Wynton Marsalis - Carnival of Venice
This is the most frantic trumpet playing you will ever hear. This guy... dang... Every trumpet player looks up to him. Any trumpet player who doesn't is a gay n00b.

John Williams - Schindler's List theme song
I love it. If you don't, then I hate you with a passion.
For those who haven't heard it: If you like it, you like it. If you don't like it, you'll still like it.

John Williams composed a bunch of other stuff, but it gets old. Like the Star Wars theme, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, blah blah. I also have a Zelda song supposedly composed by him. I dunno if he did, but I do know that it was the London Symphony Orchestra playing it.

Oh yeah:
Sonicflood
Christian music.
If you want a good solid song of praise or a long frantic worship session, learn the Sonicflood songs on the guitar and speed it up and enjoy yourself.

Badboy Bighead

BRoomer
BRoomer
Where is the Love ~ Black Eyed Peas ft. Justin Timberlake: Yeah, I know it's got Justin Timberlake in it, but the fact that the song is great makes up for it. It's got a mixture of motions, and it's just overall good.

Perfect ~ Simple Plan. This is kinda a girly song, but it's some tight stuff. It's some sort of cool rock. I like it, and I have the song stuck in my head right about now.

Lose Yourself ~ Eminem. I'm no big fan of rap, but this one is pretty aweseome.

That's about it.

Edit: LMAO... I'm such a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom