• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
This thread is getting stupid. Random links with zero description is just dumb, and not a recommendation. why not just post that crap in the youtube thread if you're not even going to talk about it and actually recommend it to a certain subsection of listeners.
Well the problem is that this is the music recommendation thread. If I say anything about it, the link poster will just say he/she was recommending a song by posting it.

I'm thinking about changing this to the music review/recommendation thread in order to better show that larger descriptions are needed. Any thoughts?

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I like that idea, I could come up with a lot of reviews for albums that the average listener would ignore, but ended up being better than expected.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
lol Illmatic. I like how you're like "I agree with you LT! Now here's a giant nondescript list of music artist and album titles."

literally the only information about those artists (providing I hadn't heard of them beforehand) is that you like them. Do you see where the problem is with that?

Well the problem is that this is the music recommendation thread. If I say anything about it, the link poster will just say he/she was recommending a song by posting it.

I'm thinking about changing this to the music review/recommendation thread in order to better show that larger descriptions are needed. Any thoughts?
emphasize the discussion and description factor of what actually constitutes a "recommendation". I think a new thread would be better, and just point out in the OP that people can come in looking for a certain type of music. Unsolicited "recommendations" is one reason why this thread is uselessly stagnant. I think it would be more fun and active if it was encouraged for people to ask for recommendations, not just post their own. COmbining it with the album review thread wouldn't hurt as that thread is so unactive it's pretty funny how it's stickied.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I understand where the problem lies, I was just thinking that if someone recognized a few artists here or there that they've listened to and enjoyed - they would consider randomly picking something from there.

Better than just not posting the huge list at all.

I suppose I'll do a small writeup for one of the lesser known albums up there sometime in the near future.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'll ask for some recommendations, then!

I'm a big fan of Pietro Antonio Locatelli. Most of his music are baroque-era concertos exhibiting a high level of technical proficiency, since he was a Violin virtuoso. My favorite traits about his music are:

Upbeat, faster paced music
Technical proficiency
Liberal use of Harpsichord

I'm looking for something similar, of course. :3

Next!

I want to expose myself to Jazz music. Specifically instrumental stuffs. I know close to nothing about the genre, except that whenever Yoko Kanno, and Yuki Kajiura do things in this genre, it's incredible. Again, faster paced, and upbeat music is preferred.

Avant-garde recommendations would be lovely, too. I listen to bands, such as Maudlin of The Well, In The Woods, and The American Dollar. I'm a big fan of In The Wood's approach on black metal, using clean vocals.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
emphasize the discussion and description factor of what actually constitutes a "recommendation". I think a new thread would be better, and just point out in the OP that people can come in looking for a certain type of music. Unsolicited "recommendations" is one reason why this thread is uselessly stagnant. I think it would be more fun and active if it was encouraged for people to ask for recommendations, not just post their own. COmbining it with the album review thread wouldn't hurt as that thread is so unactive it's pretty funny how it's stickied.
Yeah, I think I'll go with this. I'll unsticky this soon and make a new thread.

I want to expose myself to Jazz music. Specifically instrumental stuffs. I know close to nothing about the genre, except that whenever Yoko Kanno, and Yuki Kajiura do things in this genre, it's incredible. Again, faster paced, and upbeat music is preferred.
I ****ing hate vocal jazz, heh. I only listen to instrumentals, but unfortunately, I mostly just use Pandora and let it run in the background. I only know a few songs by name from various concerts that I've been to, but I can't recall the names off the top of my head. Sorry. :(

But definitely check out Wes Montgomery. He is one of my heroes, and he is a jazz guitar legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom