• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
Originally posted by Badboy Bighead
Bring me to Life ~ Black Eyed Peas ft. Justin Timberlake: Yeah, I know it's got Justin Timberlake in it, but the fact that the song is great makes up for it. It's got a mixture of motions, and it's just overall good.

Perfect ~ Simple Plan. This is kinda a girly song, but it's some tight stuff. It's some sort of cool rock. I like it, and I have the song stuck in my head right about now.

That's about it.

Isnt that BEP song called "Where is the love?"

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Canis lupus
Artist:Switchfoot
Genre:Alternative Rock
Recommended Songs:You Already Take Me There, Meant to Live, Loser, You
Pardon me if I am slow or something, but isn't "Loser" a song by Beck? I'm not sure if maybe it could've been done by two artists or not, but in the refrain does it go "soy un perdedor. I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me"? This is just baffling and I figured I should ask this question, because Beck is also an alternative rocker. Now onto my musical recommendations...

Artist: Nirvana
Genre: Punk, Grunge, Alternative Rock
Recommended Album: Nevermind, Nirvana (self-titled)
Song recommendations: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, Lithium, In Bloom. Heck, the whole album rocks.

Artist: Weird Al Yankovic
Genre: Comedy
Recommended Album: In 3-D, UHF Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and Other Stuff, Bad Hair Day
Song Recommendations: Polkas on 45, The Hot Rocks Polka, The Alternative Polka, Polka Your Eyes Out, Jurassic Park, Eat It, Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies, Gump, Remember Larry, King of Suede, Nature Trail to ****, Rye or the Kaiser.

Artist: Beck
Genre: Alternative Rock
Recommended Albums: Mellow Gold, Odeley
Song Recommendations: Loser, Nitemare Hippie Girl, Truckdrivin' Neighbors Downstairs, Pay No Mind (Snoozer), Beercan.

Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody

That's all I have here. Enjoy your muzacs, mutilated people!

Titanium-FiRe

Smash Journeyman
Artist: Matthew Ehibara Holle
Genre: Classical/Techno
Other Notes: http://www.killer-pineapple.com that's where all the music is. it's what got me interested into classical music and techno. If you go to the site i'd recommend:
Dream
Expedition X
Expectation

Artist: Vanessa Mae
Genre: Classical/Techno
Other Notes: Really talented artist and you can easily search on imesh or kazaa or w/e u use.

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by CerbKirby
Pardon me if I am slow or something, but isn't "Loser" a song by Beck? [COLOR]

No, "Loser" is a song written by switchfoot. It's on their 3rd album "Learning to Breathe."

Maybe Beck wrote a song entitled "Loser," I don't know.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
'Loser' is also a Three Doors Down song, how outcasty everyone is these days.

EDIT- Yes, the Greatest Hits album is named simply 'Nirvana', but it'd be more sensible to name it 'Greatest Hits', in my opinion.

And Weird Al doesn't really deserve to be considered a musical talent. So, instead of recommending him, why not recommend the songs he rips?

Oh, speaking of Nirvana

I prefer 'In Utero' over 'Nevermind', it's much more rough and I dunno, claustrophobic (to kind of capture the closed in feeling of a womb, maybe?) It's definitely not mainstream, though two catchy songs that got on the radio: "Heart-Shaped Box (great song)" and "**** Me".

Yes, the album is quite depressing throughout, the two lightest songs (the only soft songs on the album) are "Dumb" and "All Apologies."

The rest of the songs on In Utero: Serve the Servants, Scentless Apprentice, Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle, Very Ape, Milk It, Pennyroyal Tea, Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, Tourettes.

Also, there's the Unplugged in New York Album, which is one of my favorites. Along with versions of some of their best songs, they also do several Meat Puppets Covers, a GREAT David Bowie cover (Man Who Sold The World), and a cover of the best Leadbelly song, "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"

Both those albums are at opposite ends of the spectrum, In Utero is rough, loud, gut wrenching, and Unplugged is easy listening.

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
Okay, I just needed to know if Canis missed something, or if I did. I guess it's not really well thought to jump to a conclusion that a titled song is only written by one artist. The "Loser" I am talking about is the one where the refrain goes "Soy un perdedor. I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me?".

I suppose since Weird Al sings parodies and most of his songs don't have to do with anything except just other stuff, though some of his songs do have some real meaning such as his love songs. Either way, this isn't directly a topic about musical talent (or if I missed something in the first post), it's music recommendations.

As for the Nirvana "self-titled" album, I don't know what it's called and I didn't bother to figure it out, but I know that the cover is black. I have also heard Unplugged in New York, and I do find it quite intriguing. That's all I have to say about that.

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
Music Reccomendation Flood

Note: * means Favorites.
and not all songs by groups are listed, just some of the more noticable ones. I like all the songs listed, but the ones marked favorites are extra good.

Group: Estradashpere
Genre: Umm.... well.... uhh.... you'd have to hear it....
Albums (I only have one though...): Buck Fever
Info: Well, Estrasphere is quite brilliant, they were "Band Nerds" in high school and use many different instruments. It's a wonderful experience for the ears, and they are quite varied. They even do video game esque music, like that of the NES days.
Songs:The Dapper Bandits*, The Silent Elk of Yesterday, Super Buck II, Millenium Child*, Trampoline Klan, Craig Lake, Green Hill, Burnt Corpse.

Group: Mr. Bungle (Yes, I know LT suggested it, but I know more about them, because they are one of my favorite bands.)
Genre: Expirimental
Albums (In order): Mr. Bungle, Disco Volante, California
Info: Mike Patton is Brilliant. His vocal skills are incredible. This group is so varied. The first self entitled CD was best described as derranged circus ska. The second, experimental mania, with wierd noises and all. The third was a freakish beach boys metal with many other genre's thrown in. They rule, and are a unique addition to your music collection.
Songs:Quote Unquote, Squeeze me Macaroni, Egg, Stubb (a Dub), My @$$ is on fire (It's the word, not the censoring I made.)*, Ma Meeshka Mow Skwoz*, Backstrokin', Platypus, Merry Go Bye Bye, Sweet Charity*, None of them knew they were Robots*, Retrovertigo*, The Air-Conditioned Nightmare*, Ars Moriendi*, Pink Cigarette*, Golem II: The Bionic Vapour Boy, The Holy Filament*, Vanity Fair*, Goodbye Sober Day*. (Holy crap! I suggested the entire California CD! Sweet Charity - Goodbye Sober Day is California)

Group: Gorillaz
Genre: Rock... basically.
Albums: Gorillaz
Info: Well, Cartoon Network got me interested in this group, they simply sounded good to me, they had thier 15 minutes of fame with "Clint Eastwood" but they are a fine group.
Songs: Re-Hash, 5/4, Tomorrow comes Today*, Clint Eastwood, Punk*,Sound Check (Gravity)*, 19-2000*, Latin Simone(Que pasa contigo)* (As a personal note, I love this song!), Starshine, Slow Country*, M1A1, Dracula, Left Hand Suzuki Method

Group: Secret Chiefs 3
Genre: Well, I can describe it as Arabian Techno. Although they aren't Arabs, just geniuses.
Albums: Book M, First Grand Constitution and By Laws
Info: These guys rule, they are also associated with Estradashpere. Yet again they have no lyrics, just brilliant musical composition. They use sitars and violins and techno. They also rule.
Songs: Knights of Damcar, Hagia Sophia*, Vajira*, Horsemen of the Invisble*, Ship of Fools, Safina*, Lapsit Exillis

Group: Aphex Twin
Genre: Techno
Albums: Richard D. James Album, 26 Mixes for Cash, I care Because you do, Come to Daddy, Drukqs, Window Licker
(I sure have a lot don't I?)
Info: This man is awesome, he creats techno, unusualy techno mind you, out of strange sounds, this is not music for dancing, but it is a cornucopia for the ears. It's beautiful. Completely Beautiful.
Songs (Sadly, some of those CD's are burnt, so I don't know the titles.... and on Druqks, most of the tracks are impossible to dechipher in title.): Window Licker*, Come to Daddy Pappy Mix*, Film*, Bucephalus Mouncing Ball*, To Cure a Weakling Child*
(He has alot of songs, I just don't know thier titles, but this man is godly in skill).

Group: Mindless Self Indulgence/ Left Rights
Genre: Psychotic is the only way I can describe this.
Albums: Alienating our Audience, Tight (Out of Print), Frankenstein Girls will Seem Strangely Sexy, Left Rights (the only Left Rights album)
Info: Well, this group is indescribable, hyper, insane, and ****ing amazing! They are very very VULGAR, and definitely not for kids. They are nuts, and great. Thier songs have so many layers. No, they aren't techno, but thier background music is defintely digital. The Left Rights is exactly Mindless Self Indulgence, but it was some crap they wanted put uot, but could not be released under thier publisher. Enough about them, let's get to the meat!
Songs by Mindless Self Indulgence: Backmask*, B1tches* (title censored), Boomin'*, Clarissa*, Harry Truman*, I hate Jimmy Page*, J*, Keepin' up with all the Kids*, Kill the Rock, Masturbates, Step Up Ghetto blaster*, Whipstickagostop*, Tornado*,... well crap, all thier music kicks the ***, sad thing is I listed few of thier congs, since the Frankenstien Girls Album has 30 songs. Tornado is from Tight, but is replayed live on Alienating our audience.
Songs by Left Rights: parkinlot*, montezuma voodoo*, take a ***** (title censored),storytime, fecal freekal, qy10*, darth vader (who gives a sith)*, place disclaimer here*, hairless and fancy-free*, mousey brown*, honkeys*, chochas vesdidos, friends, so much for that, wierdo*, station wagons*, crap*,.... well, the same level of awesomeness goes to the Left Rights.

Group: Fantomas
Genre: Expirimental
Albums: Fantomas, Director's Cut
Info: This is a freakish group, yet another of the many groups Mike Patton is in (Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Faith No More). This one shows his ability to use his voice in methods unimaginable. Incoherent screaming included. This is bizzare, but I love it to death. Also, I can't list tracks from thier first album because it has no titles. Fact: The Drummer from Slayer was in this group.
Songs: The Godfather*, Expirimen in Terror*, Spider Baby*, The Omen (Ave Satan)*, Vendetta, Investigation of a Citizen Above suspision*, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with me*, Charade*

Group: MC chris
Genre: Rap, sucka!
Album: well, I can't quite remember the title...
Info: Yes, this guy is the voice of Hesh on Sealab 2021, and does the Boba Fette rap at the end of the Bebop Cola Episode. This guy is pretty ****ed cool. Buy his CD, support him!
Songs: dq bilzzard*, fette's vette*, white kids love hip hop, robotussin.

*Assorted Groups*

Group: Tomahawk
Genre: Rock
Info: Another Mike Patton Band. Worth checking out.

Group: Modest Mouse
Info: Sastopher mentioned them, but they're a neat group.

Group: Freaky Flow
Info: A recent favorite. I've been listening to thier album World Domination.

Group: DJ Spooky
Info: More good sounding techno

Group: Small object A
Genre: They're like Etradasphere.
Info: They were a band my friend knew, but didn't go very big, but I still love thier music to death.

Group: The Flaming Lips
Genre: I really don't know. Interesint nonetheless.
Info: Well, The did make the 3 South theme, well, it wasn't made to be the theme. I have the album "Yoshimi battles the Pink Robots."

Group: Tenacious D
Genre: ROCK! It rocks so much!
Into: someone else got to this topic, but they still rock so much to get mentioned more.

*Soundtrack reccomendations*

Lost Highway: A nice jazzy cd. Pleasant to the ears.
Nightmare Before Christmas: Just plain awesome.
FLCL: C'mon, if you haven't watched the series you must, and this CD is a must.
And of the half million Cowboy Bebop soundtracks:... not much can be said here.

*Website Reccomendation*

overclocked.org :Just plain cool!

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Band: Sigur Rós
Genre: Wow, um... you have to hear it to understand.. it's completely original
Recommended Album(s): ágætis byrjun, ()
Recommended Songs: Nothing, Sven-g-englar, Ny Batteri, Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa
Extra Info: They're Icelandic, and the one guy plays his guitar with a cello bow.

Band: Ska-P
Genre: Spanish Ska/punk
Recommended Album(s): ?
Recommended Songs: I don't remember any... but these guys are great. Trust me.

Band: Saves the Day
Genre: Emo
Recommended Album(s): Stay What You Are
Recommended Songs: Holly Hox, Forget Me Nots; Rocks Tonic Juice Magic, Firefly
If you're into emo, you've probably already heard these guys. Their new album sucks compared to Stay What You Are, though.

Band: Something Corporate
Genre: Alternative/Indy/Emo/"Piano Rock"
Recommended Album: Leaving Through the Window
Recommended Songs: Hurricane, I Wanna Save You, The Astronaut
Like any other alternative indy emo band, except they have a piano, too. It works well.

Band: Brand New
Genre: Alternative/Indy/Emo
Recommended Album: Deja Entendu
Recommended Songs: Seventy Times Seven, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't, Soco Amaretto Lime
I <3 these guys.

Band: Bright Eyes
Recommended Album: *shrug*
Recommended Songs: One Foot in Front of the Other; Haligh, Haligh a Lie, Haligh; etc.
The deepest, most emotional group ever. The songs are so sad.

Band: Dashboard Confessional
Recommended Album: Swiss Army Romance
Recommended Songs: Swiss Army Romance, This Ruined Puzzle, This Brilliant Dance
Chris Carrabba's got a great voice. He used to be pure acoustic, but now he turned DC into a band. Acoustic DC was much better, IMO.

Band: Further Seems Forever
Recommended Album: How To Start a Fire; The Moon is Down
Recommended Songs: On Legendary, New Years Project, Snowbirds and Townies
Chris Carrabba used to be the singer for FSF until he broke away to form DC. FSF is still good without Carrabba, though.

Band: The Clash
I don't need to say anything about these guys. Just go download some songs.

I'm too lazy to type profound info about these bands, obviously.

Quick Recommendations!: Taking Back Sunday, The Early November, Steel Train, Jimmy Eat World, The Starting Line, Yellowcard, The Used, Vendetta Red, Alkaline Trio, Ben Folds Five, Over It (all these bands are alternative/emo), Senses Fail, A Static Lullaby (both are screamo).

INFESTD

Raging Pirate
BRoomer
emo and techno = crap

Ugh. The music thats been listed disgusts me.

Band: Jimmy Buffet
Genre: Island Rock/Steel drum/Hybrid/Easy Listening
Recomended albums : Meet me in Margaritaville, Bannana Wind
Recomended songs: Life is Just A Tire Swing, Volcano, I will Play for Gumbo, Altered Boy, Brown Eyed Girl, Come Monday, Mental Floss, Knees of my hearts, Jamaica Mistacia, Havana Daydreamin', Waiting for the Next Explosion, and Desperation Samba.
Other Information: Jimmy Buffet is a pimp. You won't hear any of his stuff on the radio. Ever. No one plays it yet he gets more respect than Areosmith for acheivements in music.

Band:Red Hot Chili Peppers
Recomended Albums: Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Californication
Recomended Songs: Road Trippin', Aeroplane, Califonicaton, Otherside (Bass is orgasmic), Higher ground, Real Men Don't Kill Coyotes, Right on Time, and Get on Top.
But any of there songs kick immense quanities of ***.
Other Information: You can't touch these guys. Always succesful, never a one hit wonder.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Band: N/A
Contributed to by: Lebo M, Elton John, Tim Rice, Hans Zimmer, Mark Mancina
Genre: African, Children's, Classical, Rock
Recomended albums: The Lion King (1997 Original Broadway Cast)
Recomended songs: The Circle of Life, Morning Report, They Live in You, Hakuna Matata, The Madness of King Scar

I know it's not technically a band, but this is "music recommendations," so I'm recommending the Broadway score as the best Lion King music available. The songs listed above are the best tracks, except for The Madness of King Scar, which I included for a different reason. It explains a lot more to the story. Scar wonders why none of his subjects like him. Nala explains that they've had to overhunt, and that's why there's no food left (in the movie, Sarabi says the herds habe "move on"). And then Scar tries to make Nala his queen, and that's why she left to find help.

Anyway, this is a fantastic CD. I own "Disneymania," a song where pop stars remix Disney music. The only track on that CD I even remotely like is the "I Wan'na Be Like You" remix by Smashmouth. Included on that CD is "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" (Aaron Carter), "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" (S-Club), and "Hakuna Matata" (Baha Men).

Unfortunately, since all of those songs are pop remixes, they suck.

On the other hand, all of the songs (except for Chow Down, which was really a rock song) on the Broadway CD sound like actual African songs. They're sung by the Broadway cast, and their voices are different from those in the movies, which threw me off at first. But once you realize who's who, it's the best version of the Lion King songs there is.

Syterion

Smash Cadet
Originally posted by Crono
Quick Recommendations!: Taking Back Sunday, The Early November, Steel Train, Jimmy Eat World, The Starting Line, Yellowcard, The Used, Vendetta Red, Alkaline Trio, Ben Folds Five, Over It (all these bands are alternative/emo), Senses Fail, A Static Lullaby (both are screamo). [/B]
**** You Crono!! I was going to list Dashboard, Yellow Card, Alkaline Trio, and Ben Folds Five, but you beat me to it. I'm also too lazy to type much info about them. I will mention my favorite one.

Band: Alkaline Trio
Album: Good Mourning
Best Songs: Every Thug Needs a Lady, Fatally Yours, We've Had Enough, One Hundred Stories (in order of preference)

Comments: Great band, excellent guitar riffs and vocals are edgy and have surprising depth. Lyrics are original, but don't seem to go along with the music sometimes(ex. Loud guitar riffs while screaming "dream a good one tonight") When the music heats up and the vocals start speeding up, its some of the best music I've heard.
Negatives: 4 of the songs seem too similar, only 12 songs.

INFESTD

Raging Pirate
BRoomer
Quickie

Band: Phish
Genre: Stoner Rock
Recomended albums : Any one of their new "live" CDS will do.
Recomended songs: Down with the Disease, David Bowie, Bouncing around the room, Party time lounge, Waste, Trenchtown Rock (bob marley cover), If I Could.
Other Information: Their an all around good band, light though. Fun to listen when high, but nice to listen to when just chillin(g).

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Band: Ben Folds (previously Ben Folds Five)
Genre: Alternative
Recomended albums: Ben Folds Five (self titled), Rockin the Suburbs
Recomended songs: Underground, Army, Emaline, Fired, Battle of Who Could Care Less, Where's Summer B?
Other Information: If you enjoy the unique sound only a piano can recreate, you'll love Ben Folds. Originally started with a 3 member band using only piano, bass, and drums in their songs, Darren Jesse and Robert Sledge have since left the band, but Ben Folds and his rockin piano are still at it. I highly recommend any of the albums back from the Ben Folds Five days (their first album is my favorite), but you'll like Ben's newer stuff just as much.

Band: Dave Matthews Band
Recomended albums: Busted Stuff, Everyday
Recomended songs: Ants Marching, Raven, You Never Know, Rapunzel, The Space Between
Other Information: Arguably one of the best bands in the past decade, I think their work speaks for itself. If you haven't heard anything by DMB, you must live under a rock. I actually didn't start to truly appreciate this band until just about a year ago... and I find it hard to believe I was without DMB for so long before then. The band's mix of rock and jazz is like a slice of heaven for your ears.

Band: John Mayer
Recomended albums: Room For Squares
Recomended songs: No Such Thing, Why Georgia, Neon, 83, Bigger Than My Body
Other Information: One of the best musicians to arise in the last couple years, John won a Grammy last year (ironically, it was for a song I don't even like -_-) and has recently released his second album, which I personally don't like as much as his first album (it doesn't have hardly any acoustic songs on it... mostly electric), but it's still good.

Band: Jason Mraz
Recomended albums: Waiting For My Rocket to Come
Recomended songs: The Remedy, Curbside Prophet, Too Much Food
Other Information: Fairly new, Jason Mraz has become quite popular on the radio stations (at least around where I live) for his catchy songs with quick, almost rap like (except, you know... not sucking) lyrics.

EDIT: If you want a sampling from any of these artists, let me know, and I'll see if I can't hook you up.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Well, I return from my hiatus and find everyone in dire need of musical salvation. I mean, who honestly likes emo? Here's some music recomendations for y'all:

Band: Raq
Genre: Jam Band
Recomended albums: Shed Tech, Carbohydrates, Live Stuff
Other Information: These guys are my favorite band, and are great to see or listen to live. They're a 4 peice with guitar, bass, drums, and keyboards, but the music seemes to transcend those limits. I heartily suggest downloading some songs from their website, www.raqmusic.com. Yes, thats right, they let you download songs for FREE.

Band: Schleigho
Genre: Modern Improvisational Jazz
Recomended songs: Matrices, Rolando's Dream, and 43
Other Information: These guys amaze me everytime I hear something new by them. They are kind of like Medeski Martin & Wood, but a little more accesible to the normal person, and less well known. If you like jazz, or are just searching for some meaningful music for music lovers, this is it.

Band: Strangefolk
Genre: Rock Jam Band
Recomended songs: Dance, Alaska, Lucy Down, Float
Other Information: These guys incorporate good old fashioned rock and roll with inventive jamming, and what comes out is amazing. Their concerts are really good, and the music just seems to take you away to a different space and time. Check out some stuff at The Live Music Archive. Just search for Strangefolk, or any other bands that interest you, all free and legal.

Other bands worth checking out that I don't have time to detail fully:
Phish: (although I'd have to disagree with INFESTD's choice of songs. I'd go with YEM, Mikes Song>I Am Hydrogen>Weekapaug Groove, and The Lizards as the best songs.)
String Cheese Incident:These guys are good stuff.
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones: Jazz with a banjo? Why not?
moe.: More on the alternative rock side of jam bands, but still very good.
Keller Williams: This is for all of you that think John Mayer or Jason Mraz are the best guitar/singers out there. Keller rips it up on his 10 string acoustic guitar, plays bass lines, sings, whistles, and plays mouth flugel, all at the same time. He's really the proverbial one man band. I strongly urge you to check out his live stuff.

princeps

Smash Journeyman
i am a big fan if sigur ros too, and anyone interested should pick up their first record, von (although it's quite hard to come by).

Acid Mother's Temple
genre: japanese noise rock

Ruins
genre: japanese noise-math rock (for a lack of a better definition)

Ghost
genre: japanese band, music similar to album leaf, idaho, auburn lull etc.

Mum
genre: icelandic shoegazers

black dice, godspeed, lightning bolt, explosions in the sky, fly pan am... all north american alternative.

JBird1203

Sgt. Pepper
BRoomer
Hey Crono, you stinky buttface! I'm seeing Early Novemeber (with Count the Stars and Hidden in Plain View) on the 22nd, Gwahaha!

I'm an eclectic guy, I love the classics as well as some new stuff. Aiee!

Classic Rock:

Band: Pink Floyd
Genre: Classic rock
Recommended Album(s): Echoes
Recommended Songs: Comfortably Numb, Time, Another Brick in The Wall Pt. II, Breathe, Sheep
If you hate Pink Floyd...roar. Seriously, you'd have to be deaf to hate them.

Band: Foreigner
Genre: Classic Rock
Recommended Album(s): Jukebox Hero (I believe that's the name of their Best Of album)
Recommended Songs: Urgent, Jukebox Hero, Double Vision
Some people don't like them too much, but no band is more fun to sing to, when you have your windows down and you're flying down the street, with a car full of friends.

Band: Journey
Recommended Album(s): Whatever their Best Of album is
Recommended Songs: Lights, I'll Be Alright
I used to like them more, but I still give them a listen every now and then. Some of the notes Steve Perry can hit make me laugh at times.

Band: Supertramp
Recommended Album: Breakfast In America
Recommended Songs: School, The Logical Song, Breakfast In America
Great band, what more can I say?

Now onto some modern stuff, yays.

Band: Desaparecidos
Genre: Indie
Recommended Album: Read Music Speak Spanish
Recommended Songs: Man and Wife Part I, Greater Omaha, erm...THE ENTIRE FREAKING ALBUM.
Desaparecidos is led by Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes. It's more of a side project for Conor. Instead of an emo band, however, Desaparecidos are more of a political band, very much on the left. They denounce materialism, corporate greed, and expansive housing developments, with incredible songs. Yay for them.

Band: Hidden In Plain View
Genre: Emo, I guess
Recommended Album: Operation: Cut-Thorat (NEW ALBUM OUT NOVEMBER 11TH!)
Recommended Songs: An American Classic, Eyes Like a Target, Shamans Witches Magic
I saw these guys at a concert of my friend's band, and I was blown away. These guys from New Jersey have mastered the art of kicking ***.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/170/hidden_in_plain_view.html
3 Hidden In Plain View Songs

Band: Motion City Soundtrack
Genre: Sorta punk, a lotta cool
Recommended Album: I Am The Movie
Recommended Songs: A-OK, The Future Freaks Me Out, My Favorite Accident
I'd have seen these guys live last month, but they played with Rufio (booooooo) so the show got sold out almost immidiately. Just some really really fun rock, with a synthesizer/keyboard, too, give it a listen.

Band: The Mars Volta
Genre: Indie, i think.
Recommended Album: De-Lousing In The Comatorium
Recommended Songs: Inertiatic Esp, Eriatarka, Televators
I forget where I first heard this, but I loved them since I heard them. Basically, they're like a crazier, better version of Incubus, with traces of Pink Floyd, too.

http://www.themarsvolta.com

Band: Coheed and Cambria
Recommended Album: Second Stage Turbine Blade
Recommended Songs: All their songs, from both SSTB and their new album, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth III, or something like that.
Easily one of the most original bands around. The band and music revolves around a series of novels which is being written by the singer, Claudio. I wish I could explain more, but their website can do it for me. Music-wise, theyre like a mix of today's alternative stuff and stuff you'd hear from like, 1991. In fact, one of the songs off their new album (Song 7, if you're curious) reminds me a bit of Saved By The Bell.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/466/coheed_and_cambria_ny.html
There you can find 4 Coheed, my favorite of which is, "Devil in Jersey City"

GREAT Singles:
S.T.U.N.: Love and Chaos
Thrice: Stare at The Sun (The only song of theirs I even really like)
Styx: Too Much Time On My Hands
Rolling Stones: Under My Thumb
Carlos Santana: Samba Pa Ti
Outkast: Hey Ya (sorry, it's just too effing catchy!)
Toto: Love Isn't Always On Time
Whitesnake: Here I Go Again
Manfred Mann: Blinded By The Light
Incubus: Nowhere Fast
Fleetwood Mac: The Chain
Don Henley: All She Wants To Do Is Dance
David Bowie: China Girl
Counting Crows: A Long December
Bob Seger: Main Street
Aerosmith: Fly Away From Here
Aerosmith: Dream On
Blink 182: Feelin' This (nah, I'm just ****in' with you.)

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just a couple more I thought I'd add:

Band: Robert Randolph and the Family Band
Genre: Rock/R&B/Soul/Western hybrid
Recomended albums: Unclassified
Recomended songs: Squeeze, I Need More Love, Good Times
Other Information: A fairly fresh sounding blend, Robert Randolph's first album "Unclassified" is quite aptly named so, as that's exactly what their genre is. The secret is that the primary instrument in the music is a pedal steel guitar, an instrument most often associated with old westerns. The focus throughout the album is definitely on the music, not vocals (a third of the songs are purely instrumental, in fact)... but that suits me just fine, since the guitar playing is incredible. Listen to free samples of all of the songs on the band's website (robertrandolph.net).

Band: TaQ (aka OutPhase)
Recomended albums: Bounce Connected
Recomended songs: Holic, abstract, QQQ, sync, Summer Vacation (CU Mix) (those last two are credited as OutPhase, but it's the same group)
Other Information: I'm not a huge fan of techno, but this is the one group that I've found to put out consistently good music. TaQ has mostly become well known for their music in DDR and IIDX, but they have quite a lot of great songs that have yet to be used in a Bemani game. Up until just recently, the only albums you could find their music on was IIDX and DDR soundtracks, but they just recently released their first official album, Bounce Connected. Good luck finding it though. But it's not hard to find their songs online. Just be warned that if you try to search for them, you're probably mostly going to find the shortened versions of their songs used in the Bemani games.

kazooiemon

Smash Cadet
Band Name: Genesis
Genre: Progressive Rock
Other Notes: Seen and lost tons of members (including Phil Collins! :D Same thing happened here as Metallica, except even more of a profound effect. Started out beautifully, then when to just so-so. Lasted 25 years, through the 70s! Great band.
Reccomended Albums: We Can't Dance, Invisible Touch, Duke, Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, And Then there were three...
Reccomended Songs: Driving the Last Spike, ***Follow You, Visions of Angels, In too deep, Misunderstanding,*** Another Day in Paradise, ***Get 'em out by Friday

Artist Name: Peter Gabriel
Genre: Progressive Rock/ Classic Rock
Other Notes: Had quite a few hits. My favorite artist. I've never seen any other Progressive Rock singer do a music video with Village People lookalikes. :cool: Was a member of Genesis, quit early ahead, and there's no doubt he had a better solo career than Phil Colins.
Reccomended Albums: So..., Car, Up
Reccomended Songs: The Drop, ***Your Eyes, Games Without Frontiers(Remix), ***Solsbury Hill***, Mercy Street, No Way Out

***-Favorites. Solsbury hill is my all time favorite song.

Geo

Smash Ace
one more.....

Band Name: Interpol
Other Notes: Great band, you've probably seen them in the mainstream now but just because they are in there doesn't mean they suck. Their lyrics are simple but get the job done. The instruments work really well with each other to give you a full experience. The monotone voice in which the lyrics are delievered will probably remind you of Joy Divison. They are a great band pick them up.
Reconmended Album: Turn On The Bright Lights. It's their debut album and it's great from start to finish.
Recomended Songs: Obstacle 1, PDA, NYC, and Say Hello To The Angels.

Ticadrius

Grammar Hammer
BRoomer
New ones!

Band: They Might Be Giants
Genre: Any and all!
Fav. Albums: Flood, Mink Car, Apollo 18, Lincoln, They Might Be Giants
Fav Songs: James K. Polk, Particle Man, It's So Loud in Here, We Want a Rock, Doctor Worm, Don't Lets Start, Number Three, Birdhouse in Your Soul

They Might Be Giants are great by sheer fact of their randomness. If Hiemie dropped all the **** jokes and learned to play accordian, this would be him. These guys are hilarious, and cover so many genres. Their albums are amazing, but I named my favorite five here. They all have a good beat, are hopelessly addictive. Amazing stuff, you guys. Everyone should at the least own Flood.

Arwon

Smash Apprentice
Band: Augie March

Genre: Lyrical folkish rock.

Albums: 'Sunset Studies' and 'Strange Bird'

Australian band, incredibly lyrical and intelligent. Which is rare anywhere, let alone here. Muscially they're sophisticated and refined, subdued and quite pretty most of the time, to the point where I've heard them called a latter day Beatles or a warmer and more human Radiohead (with references to Nick Cave for certain songs). I prefer to view them on their own merits, however.

They have an ethereal, timeless, otherworldy quality to them. 'Sunset Studies' crafts lush, dreamy soundscapes borne from some 1900s Australian dreamworld, while Strange Bird is basically a lot more contemporary and musically varied, even getting quite political at times (such as slams against Australia's refugee policies).

Finally, a couple of lyrical samples, to demonstrate the literary beauty of this band. How many other modern rock bands' lyrics merit serious literary analysis, even as they create amazing music where you don't necessarily need to understand or comprehend what they're saying?

From "Heartbeat and Sails"

O scoop my brains and let my heart have action
In its thousand million lots,
And feel the subterranean movement a fraction
and deep under ocean, the celibate rocks.
Has it borne me down?
Has it run me through?
If I give it a name do I contract it too?
More likely this thing has been growing in me,
Like I have grown in you.

and, from "This Train Will be Taking no Passengers":

Pods of wealthy blonde gobbets with red-rind eyes
getting pecked at by the heroin sparrows of the western skies,
It may be married to the tracks but this train flies and it's taking no passengers.
"We'll stand on his hand, that's how you pin your man, we'll smash him from Preston to Epworth!"

Onward and on to the ends of reason where malice is the means of the earth...
Onward and on, this strange-wrought bird, onwards and over the black coffee earth...
Onward and on, this laughing train to the ends of its low, low mirth...

I'll shut up now.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Queen- I dunno...Rock, mostly...Could say Opera Rock. ^^
Album- The Best of.
Songs- Bohemian Rhapsody, Who Wants to Live Forever, Bicycle Race, Flash Gordon, You're My Best Friend, Radio Ga Ga, Another One Bites the Dust, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions

Comments- In my opinion, one of the greatest bands ever. Most of these songs manage to cheer me up, and inspire me everytime I listen to them. Of course, you've more than likely heard half these songs before.

Radiohead- Prog-rock. I know, these guys have been mentioned twice before.
Album- The Bends, OK Computer.
Songs- Paranoid Android, Let Down, Karma Police, Electioneering, No Surprises, You, Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit (Fade Out).

Comments- I've always heard that these guys are extremely overrated, and I bought OK Computer on a whim the other day. I don't care if they're overrated or not, I like them. I don't think I dislike one song off OK Computer, and though I've only heard two songs off The Bends, they're both wonderful. "Fake Plastic Trees", I dunno, it makes me everything so good and bad at the same time. And "Street Spirit" has to be one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard. Off of OK Computer, my favorite current songs are: Karma Police, Electioneering, Paranoid Android, Lucky.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Band: Cult of Luna

Genre: Post-hardcore/noisecore

Releases: Cult of Luna, The Beyond

Best Songs: Clones, Unfold the Inside, The Watchtower, Deliverance

Notes: Rather than using fast pased playing, Cult of Luna slows things down, and manage to produce some of the most epic and destructive music you'll ever hear. The music they create forms an image of an apocalyptic world, at least, to me they do.=D
Yeah, there's screaming vocals, reminiscent of post-hardcore bands. For fans of Isis, maybe.

ugaboy31891

Smash Apprentice
Band: Blue Oyster Cult
Albums: Greatest Hits
Songs: (Don't Fear) The Reaper, Burnin' for You, OD'd on Life Itself, Godzilla

Just about the best rock band ever. They are like a cross between Journey and Van Halen, with a little bit of Boston. Just an awesome band.

Matt

Banned via Administration
Brace yourself...

NOTE: I know it's illegal, but the majority of this music I've listed can hardly be found in the US unless you download it. It's just a suggestion, of course.

Band: 4 Strings
Genre: Dance
Fav. Albums: Believe
Fav Songs: Diving, Let It Rain, Take Me Away
Additional Info: These songs, like most in the genre, have excellent and often-romantic vocals set to fast beat background music. 4 Strings has been very popular in Europe and, to the best of my knowledge, has only been heard in America from only a few sources.
1.) If your CD store carries European Imports
2.) Surprisingly, you can see a few of their music videos on Yahoo's launch
3.) If you're a big "clubber" then you may have heard one of their songs in the mix

Band: Aurora
Fav. Albums: Aurora
Fav Songs: The Day it Rained Forever, Ordinary World, Dreaming, Hear You Calling
Additional Info: If you love 4 Strings, it's almost a sure thing that you'll love Aurora as well. Aurora's music is emotional and equally uplifiting. The rhythm and beat is all there and it's all totally awesome.

Band: Fragma
Fav. Albums: Toka Me, Embrace
Fav Songs: Everytime You Need Me, You Are Alive, Man In the Moon, Toca's Miracle
Additional Info: The same things can be said for Fragma as the two above. You get more soothing but energizing songs but the CDs are equally as hard to find.

Band: iio
Fav. Albums: Rapture
Fav Songs: At The End, Rapture
Additional Info: Same as above. ^

Band: Kate Ryan
Fav. Albums: Different, Scream For More
Fav Songs: UR My Love, Scream For More, In Your Eyes, Lift Me Higher
Additional Info: Pretty much the same. ^

Band: DJ Encore
Fav. Albums: Intuition
Fav Songs: I See Right Through To You, High On Life, Walking In The Sky, Talk To Me
Additional Info: And again... ^

Band: Noemi
Fav. Albums: ???
Fav Songs: In My Dreams, When Angels Kiss, You
Additional Info: Much of the same... ^

Band: Dido
Genre: Pop
Fav. Albums: Life For Rent
Fav Songs: Who Makes You Feel, Sand In My Shoes, White Flag, Here With Me
Additional Info: Okay, this is different but it conveys the same emotions as songs in the dance genre -- just with a slower beat. It still sounds as great, though!

Yeah... there are many others that I could list but I'll pass. Besides, you either like the genres listed above or you don't so I won't push it.

MrSilver

BRoomer
BRoomer
Band: Fear Factory
Genre: Industrial Metal
Fav Album: Osolete
Fav Song: Resurrection (also the best song ever, in my opinion)
Notes: Probably not for everyone. They have some really awesome stuff, also a few not as good songs but nothing I dislike. Also, violins? Great vocals too.

Band: Funkervogt
Fav Album: Survivor (only Album I've heard)
Notes: Normaly I don't like techno. But somehow I really like Funkervogt. It's very down pace and melodic with a very heavy drum. You need a subwoofer though.

Band: Nightwish
Genre: Gothic
Fav Album: Over the Hills and Far Away
Notes: Think Evanacence, only much better. You'd need to get used to it a bit first though. Also has the best lead singer I've ever heard.

Matthias2k2

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Luigitoilet
Queen- I dunno...Rock, mostly...Could say Opera Rock. ^^
Album- The Best of.
Songs- Bohemian Rhapsody, Who Wants to Live Forever, Bicycle Race, Flash Gordon, You're My Best Friend, Radio Ga Ga, Another One Bites the Dust, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions

Comments- In my opinion, one of the greatest bands ever. Most of these songs manage to cheer me up, and inspire me everytime I listen to them. Of course, you've more than likely heard half these songs before.
You sir, rock.

God, how tf did I forget queen in my first post?

Band: Queen

Album: Greatest Hits I, II, & III

Songs: Somebody to Love, Killer Queen, Fat Bottomed Girls [how can you not love a song with this title?], Don't Stop Me Now, Save Me, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, I Want it All, all the songs listed by Luigitoilet

Comments: the best. band. ever. so many styles, genres...Freddie Mercury had the greatest voice ever. and Bohemian Rhapsody is the second greatest song ever [behind Stairway.] No matter what kind of mood I'm in beforehand, after I listen to Queen, I'm in a good mood. And you just have to listen to Under Pressure, seeing as it has David Bowie and the riff Vanilla Ice sampled for Ice, Ice, Baby. ;D

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
¿

Please tell me you've all heard this before:

Band ~ Nirvana

Genre ~ Rock

Album ~ Nirvana (self-titled, greatest hits, released 2002)

Songs ~ All of them. Of course, if I had to name a few, I'd say Lithium, Heart-Shaped Box, and Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Other Notes ~ I'm ashamed I was pulled so late into being a fan of this great band, and just plain depressed I was never old enough to appreciate them and see a concert before Kurt Kobain shredded both the band and the majority of his head to pieces with one action. The songs could be complicated or simple depending on what kind of writing mood Kobain was in, what he was listening to, and what kind of drugs he was taking ;) The band was spectacular at delivering a message through the guise of ordinary headbanger music. After all, Kobain was famous for what he sang and not how he sang it. It's great to see that even after the trio went their separate ways, their music has lived on up to a decade after their split.

-I

C

chronojinx

Band name/Artist: Kekal
Album: 1000 Thoughts of Violence
Genre: Indonesian Black Metal
Other Notes: Full of complexity and combination from many genres, such like black/deathmetal - progressive rock - industrial - and.. jazz/avant garde/ambient! This album really needs an open mind to listen.

Band name/Artist: Crimson Moonlight
Album: The Covenant Progress
Genre: Black Metal
Other Notes: Filled with great riffs, hooks and beautiful melodies with strong Scandinavian roots, fans of melodic black metal like Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, Antestor, Slechtvalk, etc will totally fall in love with this album.

Band name: Virgin Black
Genre: Goth
Other Notes: The songs are presented with numerous angles and at times coming out as soundtrack scores, at others as classical compositions or even as subtle weeping lullabies that make the music as dynamic as it is dark and passionate! So basically is something two goths would play when they get married.

Band name: Norma Jean
Album: Bless The Martyr And Kiss The Child
Genre: Hardcore
Other Notes: This band is one of the hardest Christian bands I heard....note all the bands I'm talking about are Christian. They are crazy! They have very in your face melodic, agressive hardcore music and vocals.

Band name: Showbread
Album: Life, Kisses, and other Wasted Efforts
Genre: Hardcore Punk
Other Notes: A couple of my favorite tracks on this CD include "Your Friends are Fake". I also just love the song "Stabbing art to death". For all those The Nightmare Before Christmas fans they throw in some parts from it in "The Pursuit of Happiness". They put on one of the best shows you ever seen, There are two vocalist, one white guy (Josh Dies) and one black guy(Ivory Mobley), when Ivory starts off in one song and as soon as it's time for Josh's turn, they get this crane thing and it picks him up and throws him in a coffin and swings him around all the while he is singing.

Chronicler

Smash Journeyman
Middle-Nintendo Universe (read my fic- you'll unde
Artist: Cold
Album: The Year of the Spider
Genre: Heavy Metal
Notes: You might have seen Cold in the vid for "Stupid Girl" or heard about how their guitarist just left the band for Evanescence. These guys have really seperated themselves from most mindless nu-metal and have done some meaningful songs. Scooter Ward, the lead vocalist, actually sings instead of screaming. Good songs on this album:
"Stupid Girl" Song every guy can relate to w/ awesome hooks;
"Suffocate" Featuring good guest vocals by Sierra Swan,
"The Day Seattle Died" tribute to Kurt Cobain of Nirvana,
"Wated Years" Acoustic piece w/ violins,
"Cure my Tragedy" Scooter's emotional plea to God to help his dying sister,
and "Black Sunday" the saddest song i have ever heard.

Artist: AFI
Genre: Goth-Punk
Notes: These guys are no sugar-coated pop-punkers, they are hardcore. Good vocals, great guitar lines. Some good songs:
The Leaving Song Pt. 2: Angry break-up song
Silver and Cold: Wierd video, good song
Girl's Not Grey: Catchy as heck
Leaving Song Pt. 1: Slow, quiet song

The Darkness
Genre: 80's heavy metal
Notes: Definitely influenced by Queen, Kiss, and all the other great acts of the 80's back when heavy metal could be fun and upbeat. The guys all have long hair & wear unitards. Lead singer sings with a voice that's higher than most women's voices. They do a really cheesy but funny song called "I Believe in a Thing Called Love".

Lostprophets
Genre: heavy metal, punk
Notes: Band from Britain that could be huge in the U.S. this year. Only song I know is "Last Train Home", a bittersweet love song. Pretty good vocals, great drummer.

notcoffee

Smash Cadet
Band name/Artist: Tori Amos
Genre: Alternative, I suppose
Other Notes: She's becoming a rather well-known, fiery, and downright quirky pianist. I highly suggest Boys for Pele for some more angrier tunes, and Scarlet's Walk or Under the Pink for the mellow kids. Wait, scratch that. Everything she does is wonderful. You dig?

Band name/Artist: Dan Bern
Genre: Indie.
Other Notes: Absolutely wonderful guitar-toting hippie. His music is generally bound to make you feel like grinning and singing along. It's kind of hard to find his stuff for download, so if you want to sample his stuff, check out amazon.

Band name/Artist: Dar Williams
Genre: Downright hippie. :p
Other Notes: It's kind of hard to say something about her. Her music gets you hooked, whether it's the tune, or a single lyric. My recommendations? Mortal City or The Honesty Room.

Band name/Artist: Neutral Milk Hotel
Genre: Not too sure.
Other Notes: I only started listening to them pretty recently, because of Toasty's influence. But honestly, if I listen to a CD four times in a row, it's got to be good. I recommend On Avery Island or On the Aeroplane Over The Sea.

Band name/Artist: The Flaming Lips
Genre: Not too sure, either.
Other Notes: Download "Fight Test". Just download it. You will be hooked.

Band name/Artist: silverchair
Genre: Alternative Rock.
Other Notes: Aussie kids. I absolutely adore this band to no end. Their CDs progress, style-wise, from the psuedo grunge-rock Frogstomp, to the ever-orchestral Diorama.

Band name/Artist: Sophie Zelmani
Genre: Indy Femme, kinda.
Other Notes: Funny enough - my friend found her demo in a pile at Goodwill. I ripped it, and absolutely adored it. A lot of string, a lot of mood.

Band name/Artist: Our Lady Peace
Genre: Alternative Rock.
Other Notes: I really enjoy their music, is all. I don't have too much to say about them, except uh.. they're Canadian?

Band name/Artist: Muse
Genre: Something.
Other Notes: HOLY GOD THEY ROCK SO HARD. I highly, highly reccommend Absolution to anyone. Their music is ridiculously intense, to say the very least.

Band name/Artist: Pink Floyd
Genre: Classic Rock.
Other Notes: Trippy. I'm surprised no one has recommended them. The ultimate in stoner-rock, Pink Floyd's music is intense and creativity-provoking. Watch The Wall and tell me you didn't feel the slightest urge to create. Just try.

Band name/Artist: Shiina Ringo
Genre: Japanese Rock.
Other Notes: Not only is she extraordinarily sexy, she's got some great music. I reccommend Shouso Strip to any J-rock fans here. Also - listen to her roll her 'r's. It's neat as ****.

Band name/Artist: Ani Difranco
Genre: Femme rock.
Other Notes: Really artsy stuff. Some of the music is upbeat ("Little Plastic Castle"), some of it's intense ("Light of Some Kind"), with a smattering of poetry in between.

Band name/Artist: Ben Folds
Genre: No idea.
Other Notes: Another piano-kid. Formerly the lead of Ben Folds Five, now a solo act. I reccommend "Philosophy".

Band name/Artist: Björk
Genre: Heh. Again. No idea.
Other notes: Very trippy, sometimes sappy, sometimes happy, running out of things to say, like woah. Just listen to her. I suggest Post.

I have so much more, but I'm done for tonight. :p I swear.

s0c*

Smash Apprentice
Band name/Artist: Black Heart Procession
Genre: Mellow Rock(?)
Other Notes: Awsome Driving music. Singer has got amazing voice. Anyone that likes Coldplay and bands with that kind of style should definetly check these guys out.

Band name/Artist: The Sounds
Genre: Modern 80's
Other notes: Incredibly catchy. Singer's voice is arousing :p

(some of you probably know "Living in America" by them)

Geo

Smash Ace
If you are going to pick up AFI pick up Black Sails In The Sun Set, that's their best CD then the All Hallows LP. Take it from a fan of 5 years.

But my taste has changed and I don't listen to AFI anymore. So I must suggest..... Radiohead! I know they've already been brought up but I'm just here as another reminder for you.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
Band: Coheed and Cambria

Album: Second Stage Turbine Blade, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Songs: Delirium Trigger, Time Consumer, The Light and Glass, Three Evils and The Crowing

Notes: They're pretty much "emo-core" and the singer has a very very feminine voice, but it's really good....and I suck at telling things about bands...

Band: Brand New
Album: Your Favorite Weapon, Deja Entendu

Songs: Jaws Theme Swimming, Good to Know That if I Ever Need Attention all I Have to do is Die, Ok I Believe You but my Tommy Gun Don't.

Notes: I know that some people might call me a n00b for finding out about them from their new CD, and honestly I like it much better than Your Favorite Weapon, much more variety in my mind.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
The Beatles are awesome. Anyone who doesn't like them is a turd. The Fool on the Hill is a great song, as well as every other song they wrote. In fact, any song made by anyone other than the Beatles sucks.

The Beatles are almost as cool as me.

Crotchfire

Smash Cadet
Game Over is an interesting band that I've recently taken a liking to. They basically do metal remixes of nintendo themes. If you'd like a good example, check out "Little Mac's Confession" which can be found on OCR.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
More Radiohead songs, since I know much more about them than before.

Album: Kid A
Genre: Experimental/Electronica rock

I don't know about everyone else, but this album was EXTREMELY difficult for me to get into. I didn't have a favorite song until about two months when I first got it. It may be pretentious stuff, but now I love it. The best tracks (although it needs to be heard as a full album)

Kid A: My favorite song! It has a lullaby-like keyboard, and really ****ing warped robot-ish vocals. It's really unnerving and...comforting at the same time.

The National Anthem: Basically a 6 minute jam, with a bunch of rampant improv. brass, a nice bassline, and...well...just listen to it!

Idioteque: A dancy techno bit. Can't really describe it, love the vocals, though.

How To Disappear Completely: Another 6 minute song, this one slow and quite a downer, with creepy strings backing up the guitar and vocals. Although it's basically a mood piece, this was my first favorite song off the album.

Oh, and from their latest album, Hail to the Thief:

A Wolf at the Door: This is my on-off favorite, it's definitely one of the best songs on the album, and totally unexpected from the band.

Where I End and You Begin- A nice bass and drumline, and I LOVE the synths (? It may be Johnny's Martenot, but it sounds wonderful anyways)

Sail to the Moon- This song reminds me of 2001, if 2001 had more emotion, that is.

We Suck Young Blood: Gloriously creepy and playful at the same time, it seems like a mood piece until suddenly halfway through there's a tempo change and everything gets real loud for about 20 seconds, it's really cool.

Backdrifts- Alot of people say this is the best song on the album, I don't think so, but it is also quite cool. It's a trippy electronic song, and it has really neat noises throughout, and wonderful vocals.
---

Artist: Herbie Hancock
Albums: Headhunters, Thrust
Genre: Funk/Jazz
This guy is very funky, you gotta hear him. Enough said!
Songs: Chameleon, Watermelon Man, Sly.

---
Other Misc. Songs:

Tom Mcrae: Walking to Hawaii
Mason Williams: Classical Gas
Isaac Hayes: Early Sunday Morning
Isaac Hayes: Hung up on my Baby (OMG THIS IS GREAT).
Zamfir: Most of his stuff, if you like pan flutes. But the only thing that comes to mind is "The Lonely Shepherd" and "Memory"
Dick Dale and the Deltones: Night Rider.

Charles Mingus- Moanin' (NOTE: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF CHARLES MINGUS ACTUALLY DID THIS SONG? I'm talking about the kinda loud upbeat version, not the slow moody one that another jazz band did.)
Bjork- Army of Me and I've Seen it All (with Thom Yorke ^^)

guitarhero

Smash Cadet
Band: Rush

Genre: Prog Metal

Album: Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Farewell to Kings

Songs: The Spirit of Radio, Vital Signs, Freewill, The Camera Eye, Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer, Closer to The Heart, YYZ, Limelight and many more!

Rush is a great band! They're high pitched vocals, superhuman drumming, great guitar and crisp bass, they're the greatest rock trio ever. You'll like 'em if you like Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom