• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
I'd suggest any song from Les Miserables. A tragic, beautiful, and touching musical about an escaped criminal leaving escaping his captors and moving to another town where he gets a family. The officer who captured him the first time chases him down. Meanwhile his daughter falls in love with a teenager who is an active soldier for a ragtag group of rebels. I won't spoil anything but let's just say a lot of violence ensues.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
Artist/Band: Jurassic Jade
Genre: Thrash Metal/Death Metal Influence
Other Notes: The lead vocalist is a woman, this band has been thrashing since the 80's. Hizumi - the lead has been called th "godmother of thrash" in japan.the band has a Chaotic sound and Hizumi's songs in English are very good considering she doesn't speak the language.

Artist/Band: Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation
Genre: Grindcore
Other Notes: AMAZING all female grindcore band. Vocals are not what you would expect from such a pretty and small girl. Makiko's (lead) grunts are low and deep, and the drumming is perfect grindcore style. If you are into things like that please check this all female band out!

Skweege

Smash Cadet
Band/Artist - Daly's Gone Wrong
Genre: Hardcore/reggae/ska
Other Notes - A band from ny with a sound like that ive never heard outside of them. Easily one of my favorite bands out there.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I would personally like to thank you for introducing me to such a great band.
I'm really getting into prog nowadays and they certainly made me like prog that much more.
Your welcome (a handful of months late, i know):laugh: Haven't visited this thread in a LONG time.

Noticed the thread again today while browsing and wanted to come in here and thank the users who recommended Porcupine Tree. I've been listening to them a ton in the past 6 months, and absolutely love them. They are probably my 2nd favorite band now. Thanks again!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I like my women like I like my beats, raw and crunchy, so stop over producing your self women. You don’t need any compression, let the treb and bass all hang out, but keep it EQed and classy.

as a side note: Alessi's Ark is wonderful. For pop folk fans and fans of female singers.

soju

SD God
Band Name:Cise Star
Genre:Hip-Hop
Other Notes: Sung "Feather" by Nujabes(R.I.P) and is just pretty darn good =w=

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Band: Goodbye Soundscape
Genre: Rock, Screamo, Club
Good choice! I live 10 minutes away from these guys, their shows are just amazing! These guys deserve to be the next big thing out of NEPA.

Now on to other fun stuff!

Artist: A Hero A Fake
Genre: Metalcore/Progressive Metal
Notable Albums: Volatile, Let Oceans Lie
Notable Songs: Superwoman, Just Another Number, F-16, I Know I, Let Oceans Lie, Astronomical

The screamer might get on your nerves at first, especially on Volatile, but this band is one of the most talented metalcore acts I've heard. The guitars are quick and clean, and drummer Tim Burgess is AT LEAST on the same level as ABR's Matt Greiner. Here's an example of just a little bit of his ability: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nt4uLwWWQI

Artist: One Morning Left
Genre: I honestly have no idea what they fall under anymore, too many genres covered.
Notable Songs: BD_L3ftoverz!
These guys are pretty much Europe's response to Iwrestledabearonce. The metalcore guitarwork and drums are accented decently well by the techno-poppy synth and decent screamer. If u like IWaBO, then these guys are definitely worth a listen.
One Morning Left - BD_L3ftoverz!" Music Video

:036:

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
Artist: One Morning Left
Genre: I honestly have no idea what they fall under anymore, too many genres covered.
Notable Songs: BD_L3ftoverz!
These guys are pretty much Europe's response to Iwrestledabearonce. The metalcore guitarwork and drums are accented decently well by the techno-poppy synth and decent screamer. If u like IWaBO, then these guys are definitely worth a listen.
One Morning Left - BD_L3ftoverz!" Music Video

:036:
That was actually good!

Artist: Marc A. Pullen
Genre: Industrial Metal
Notes: Marc A. Pullen has done many computer game music and composed the soundtrack for Saurbraten, a 3D fps multiplatformed game. His latest work which is featured on the re-release of the game is truly amazing
http://www.last.fm/music/Marc+A.+Pullen/Odious
Free to download, Highly recommended for Metal listeners!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I recommender sweedish female pop singers. They are amazing.

Artist: Lykke Li
Genre: Pop
Notes: Everything she does reminds me of sex. The way she moves, her constant, Just got out of bed, hairs been brushed with my fingers look.
But out of that, her music is some of the best pop I've ever heard. Very minimalstic, (but pop works best that way), the music behind is familar, not bringing many new major things to the table, but there is something genuinly new about what she does. I just can't put my finger on it. See her live, she's one of the few artist that I would say sounds better live than on her album. (I strongly dislike her producer).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFlRkKmTT-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgbTvfCgSk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdZLiORITBg

Little Dragon
Electro funk at its best! and a 2nd sexy flat chest :3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYHHdC_F9hg

I got more, but I'm bored typing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ceBAchLcI

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
For some reason, I just can't get into Ween. :(

Band name: Neutral Milk Hotel
Album: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Genre: Alternative/Indie
Other Notes: I can't get enough of these guys. Their music is haunting, beautiful, and original. Although occasionally cryptic, their lyrics are absolutely gorgeous. Here's a good example of their kind music. And here's another!

ween is amazing, and i dont even smoke weed. i never understood in the aeroplane over the sea.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Band name/Artist: Avenged Sevenfold
Album: All Albums!
Genre: Alternative/Rock/Metal
Other Notes: I've been a diehard fan for years, and they suffered the recent loss of there drummer, Jimmy Sullivan, also known as "The Rev" back in December, 2009. Unfortunately. There music lives on though, and they're still a very amazing band.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Great albums out this year so far:

Beach House: Teen Dream
Gonjasufi: A Sufi and a Killer
Gorillaz: Plastic Beach
U.S. Girls: Go Grey
Corinne Bailey Rae: The Sea
Daedelus: Righteous Fist Of Harmony.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I recommend Them Crooked Vultures for those of us tired of angsty generic mainstream rock. Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) + Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) + John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

I think The Dead Weather is coming out with a new album soon too. They've been described as "a deep and dark sojourn into electrified rock with stuttering funk backbeats" lol, for those who might be interested.

meatpopsicle

Smash Apprentice
I recommend Them Crooked Vultures for those of us tired of angsty generic mainstream rock. Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) + Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) + John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

I think The Dead Weather is coming out with a new album soon too. They've been described as "a deep and dark sojourn into electrified rock with stuttering funk backbeats" lol, for those who might be interested.
That sounds pretty sick; I'll definitely have to check those guys out, though I must say I'm not a Foo Fighters fan at all. I saw John Paul Jones play with Government Mule at Bonnaroo '07 and it was one of the best shows I've seen in my life.

If any of y'all are into live music/ electronica, definitely check STS9 out if you haven't already:
http://www.iclips.net/watch/sts9-11
Economic Hitman (dubbed Twilight in the incorrect set list on the right) and Rent are big crowd pleasers. STS9 are under a very ambiguous genre of electronica called Livetronica, a blend of live instrumentation and electronic tools to create dynamic dance beats.

iclips.net is freaking amazing by the way, even though more and more shows are costing money to watch.

k/mh

Smash Rookie
I love TCV, they are great. Sounding kinda like QOTSA but it's something entirely new, definitely worth to check them out.

Additonally, try Street Sweeper Social Club, don't know if that has been mentioned before. Founded by Tom Morello(RATM) and Boots Riley(The Coup)
It's basically like Rage Against The Machine but not as heavy and angry. Lyrics are more ironic but ocassionally sarcastic too.
All in all a RATM for parties and great to listen to.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I love TCV, they are great. Sounding kinda like QOTSA but it's something entirely new, definitely worth to check them out.

Additonally, try Street Sweeper Social Club, don't know if that has been mentioned before. Founded by Tom Morello(RATM) and Boots Riley(The Coup)
It's basically like Rage Against The Machine but not as heavy and angry. Lyrics are more ironic but ocassionally sarcastic too.
All in all a RATM for parties and great to listen to.
Rage is a good band, too. I may have to check that band out, too.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Favorite albums of the past Decade

Look out, massive post.

The 2000s saw the take off of the altnerative hip-hop scene. While much of the ground work was driven by El-P and friends in New York and Jay Dilla and crew in Las Angeles, I believe the most important contributions come from overseas, namely, Gorillaz, Dangermouse, and Tricky. Former Blur frontman and current composer Damon Albarn took advantage when Gorillaz achieved accidental financle success with their self titled album by attempting to move popular culture in a direction he wanted. Serving as Dangermouse's first true production job, he doesn't disappoint, far from it. A good deal of the appeal here lies in Dangermouse's production, its dense over laying and hip-hop drivin beats that persist as a constant audible theme within the album, no matter the style of the song. Dangermouse is so intertangled within the album that at times it can be difficult to discern where Damon's composition ends and Dangermouse's studio work begins. The featuring artist are by no means slacking either, with Ike Turners final performance, beautiful work of a gospel choir, narration by Shaun Ryder, and snapshots of the underground hip-hop scene from artist like Martina Topley-Bird, Roots Manuva, and MF DOOM. This is a near perfect album I'd DARE say. ;)

The cold heart will burst
If mistrusted first
And a calm heart will break
when given a shake

Feist weaves a vocal and lyrical quilt of, again, near perfection on The Reminder. A quilt made with tales of love gone array, a steaming cup of beautiful backing instrumentation, and the warm embrace of the fire that is Feist's voice awaits you as you escape from the rain of tears that dawns your cheek. From the beginning, the album already sets itself up as breakup album with the track "So Sorry," speaking of deep regret and longing for that which can not be reclaimed. The trip doesn't get any easier from there, though the sadness is oddly comforting, most notably on the final track, How My Heart Behaves. The production is surprisingly varied, but always relevant, and held together by the thread of Feist's top notch singing and songwriting, keeping the album from feeling disorganized. All in all, easily amongst my top of last decade, and though Feist is mostly missing in action, I honestly wouldn't mind if she never released another album after this, but would gladly appreciate if she did.

Portishead's return was nothing less than stunning. Able to prove that even the most tired of musicians can stay relevant, the album is easily on par with any of its younger competitors. Beth Gibbons still has the voice of an angel, fragile and reserved, set in stark contradiction to the gritty drum machines. There is no sign of age here. From the simple beauty that is "The Rip" to the driving bewilderment that is We Carry On, Third falls somewhere in between distorted beauty, and beautiful filth. The highlight for me is clearly Small, echoing back to early Pink Floyd, in a more simplistic, pointed way. Dark and brudding, Third is an album worth visting, and revisiting over and over again.

Tiny Vipers is an artist that I've become aquanaut with fairly recently, but has just as quickly stolen a permanent place in my heart with her album Life On Earth. The aptly named album by Seattle based Tiny Vipers discusses much of which we would rather left forgotten. Those tiny moments of depression, loathing, and indifference and captured within the snapshots of our shadows. Occasional ambient guitar effects are sprinkled throughout the album, most notably on “Young God.” She has a great range, and takes use of its every pitch and tone, as seen on the contrast in the verses of Dreamer to the outro. Her lyrics are nothing short of astounding, and this is coming from someone who generally can't even focus on lyrics all together. Though an album that I recommend be taken in small doses, as an overdose of this album can be quite draining, I can assure you.

The best thing released this past decade, hands down. Hospitality by Venetian Snares is easily one of the most exciting musical trips I had ever taken. Begining with Frictional Nevada's glorious synth interlude, quickly jumping back in true VSnares noise form, its a slammer from the get go. It only takes a few notes to remind me of why this EP is ranked so highly. From there Beverly's Potatoe Orchestra featurers 3 minutes of soul exhausting muffled screams, set aside equally painful synths, crafting a surreal and reality impairing experience. The song isn't void of melody and form however, and the melody here, as with every other track on the EP, is easily some of the best stuff Snares has written. Shoot Myself provides a blessed release, releasing your exhaustion, showing off a side rarely seen of Snares, taking a very melodic approach to the song, never bursting at the seems with noise. By now you are so accustomed to having your head blown that you half expect at many of the builds that Snares will let go, but he holds back, creating something unlike most of his other works. The rest is Snare's at his best, crafting Dance music you can't dance too, though it stands easily amongst the best of his works, especially Cabbage.

I've limited this to being my only Snares album, other wise I would likely have 7 more albums written up on this list.

And these are just a few, I could go on and on.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
That sounds pretty sick; I'll definitely have to check those guys out, though I must say I'm not a Foo Fighters fan at all. I saw John Paul Jones play with Government Mule at Bonnaroo '07 and it was one of the best shows I've seen in my life.
It doesn't sound like Foo Fighters. In fact most people relate Grohl to Nirvana (he was the drummer, and he is in TCV).
Josh Homme is, imho, a lyrical genius. Not to mention an extremely talented guitarist.
And yeah, John Paul Jones is amazing.

I thought that they were late 80's, early 90's?
Both the ones I mentioned were "supergroups" formed in 2009 :p

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
It doesn't sound like Foo Fighters. In fact most people relate Grohl to Nirvana (he was the drummer, and he is in TCV).
Josh Homme is, imho, a lyrical genius. Not to mention an extremely talented guitarist.
And yeah, John Paul Jones is amazing.

Both the ones I mentioned were "supergroups" formed in 2009 :p
Really? Doesn't seem like that... Wow... I'm losing it recently...

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
taking crashics idea (sort of) only doing it by individual years to not have a huge wall of text in one post:

favorite album of 2000

Godspeed You! Black Emperor- Lift yr skinny fists like antennas to heaven

This album is massive. Though it's really just the last bit of an amazing musical career for this band, this is the album I always come back to. You can hear GYBE's influence in tons of popular modern post-rock bands today. I've yet to hear a group get this dark and doommongering. All four songs are sprawling 18-24 minute "funeral epics". Some of the most pained and oppressed passages of music I've heard. But there's catharsis too- soaring, life affirming crescendoes often give way to simple and content melodies. I am getting seriously pretentious so I'm gonna stop myself now. Point is, the album is insanely proficient and emotional, listen to it. This band just got back together so now is the best time to get into them even though that makes you a poser.

2004-

Björk- Medúlla (copied from a rlly old broom post)

Icelandic music elf Björk is perhaps more widely known by her eccentricities, personal quirks and unique wardrobe decisions over her music. Hey, sounds familiar huh? Kind of like Lady Gaga. Only difference is Björk just has woman parts and Lady Gaga has the best of both worlds. Also, Björk writes much more artistic and creative music and Lady Gaga writes good/decent pop music.

Björk's musical style is all over the place, but there are almost always heavy elements of electronic music over everything, and the songs are built to accentuate Björk's raw passionate vocals. Medúlla took this to an absurd new level. The main concept of the record is that the great majority of what you hear is coming from a human voice (and modified by computers in some cases).

Now, imagine an album made almost entirely a cappella. Whatever you imagine, it's not what Medúlla sounds like. To me, the album (the title meaning "marrow" in English) musically conceptualizes the things that tie all humanity together. The very basic foundation by which we're built, Flesh and blood and heart and bone. But also the deepest passions and fears. I can't possibly get anymore trite with this paragraph so let me stop.

The album spans genres almost as much as any other Bjork album, but it has a distinct feeling to it. All the tracks have this sicky film texture. Some of them make me feel like I'm in utero. The countless guest spots spice it up so not every track is 20 Bjork's overlapping and harmonizing. Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, and like twenty million other groups and projects) lends a lot of scary, subtle, ambient sounds, Rahzel, an amazing beatboxer, provides pretty much all the percussives/beats you hear on the album. Some tracks feature Inuit throat singers, choirs, and one track has some guy with probably the

Medúlla is raw and full of passion and makes me feel like I just had crazy sex for an hour.

maybe I will do more later!

Underload

Lazy
2000th post dedicated to Sufjan, Media Metropolis, and music :D :D

Sufjan Stevens' 'Illinois' is probably my favorite album ever. Released in 2005 under Asthmatic Kitty, Sufjan really defines what good indie music should sound like, in my humble opinion. It was voted by many to be the #1 indie album of 2005, and if you come in with an open mind and a few hours to spare, you just might agree.

A few facts about the album:
  • 22 song tracklist.
  • It comes in at about 1:14:07 to listen to front-to-back.
  • The longest song is 'The Tallest Man, The Broadest Shoulders' coming in at 7:03.
  • The shortest song is 'One Last Whoo-Hoo! For The Pullman, spanning a whole 7 seconds.
  • A few direct influences to this albums' making were the works of Steve Reich, Neil Young, and The Cure.

Now, a few minutes into listening to Illinois, you'll see that it has a bit of a bluegrass / symphony hybrid sound. Sufjan is billed as playing 19 instruments by himself while recording the album, with the intent of fusing the class and sophistication of orchestra music with the instrumentation and grassroots feel of bluegrass & folk music. He wrote the album without the intention of going on tour (which he DID end up doing in 2006, I believe), but in return you get a sound that flows well, due to the multiple layers engineered by Sufjan.

Illinois was the second album in Sufjan's 50 states project, where he planned to write an album for each state in the USA, as a way to document the diversity of America. Obviously, he scrapped 96% of the idea, except for his works with Michigan, his home state, which he wrote about various events in his childhood, and Illinois, which detailing major historical events and stories in the state throughout the years, including the murders of John Wayne Gacy and a UFO sighting in Highland. He's very good as a story teller, and some of the things he talks about will definitely pique your interest. For example, read the Wikipedia article on John Wayne Gacy while listening to the song. You'll be educated on the subject, and a bit surprised at how well done and how detailed Sufjan's retelling of the story is.

I don't want to bore you with my opinionated review, but I have to say that I REALLY love this album. The sound doesn't get old, and the mystique that comes from listening to the songs the first few times eventually transforms into a sense of familiarity, that keep the songs interesting. Sufjan writes some very Christian lyrics at times, although his music isn't ever seen as Christian because he uses the subject as a point of discussion, and not as a theme for the album. It mostly serves to drive the album forward, not hold it back. At least, in my opinion.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sufjan Stevens' "Illinoise" is in my top 5 albums of all time, I think.

Bjork is up there too, but not with Medulla, brilliant though it was. I think Homogenic is my favorite of her albums, although Post is just incredible.

I like Portishead a lot.

Crashic, I can't say I understand your love for Venetian Snares. I compose music like that, and I still thought it was a little boring. It didn't take me anywhere except for giving me a headache.

If someone put a gun to my head and made me pick my favorite three bands/artists, I'd pick Radiohead, Muse, and then it'd be a tossup between half a dozen bands including Pink Floyd, Rage against the Machine, Sufjan Stevens, Ben Folds, Ben Gibbard, Ben Harper, and The White Stripes.

Then the guy would blow my brains out because he had a gun to my head and I couldn't decide on a 3rd band...

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
ooooh, you compose breakcore? Can I hear some?

Its actually very difficult for me to pick a top Snares album, but I generally settle for that one. Took me quite awhile to feel anything in his music other than "This sounds awesome." Took me a good few months to actually pull the emotions out of it. Honestly I find him a genius beyound comparison, in every reguard. There's Aphex Twin, and then there's him, in regards to electronic music. Maybe I'm just more parshel to noise, Boredoms being my favorite rock band and all. Breakcore is a gift from god <3

Reguarding the Illinoise album, perfect example of what's so bad about pitchfork. On the review for their best of the decade, they use that album to describe their own self importance :laugh:

The perfect song to make out too, assuming your car has amazing bass speakers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHDFm3pbns too"

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I just recently met the members of The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. I was impressed to see them perform just as good live as they are recorded. The members are all awesome guys, too. Friendly and easy to talk to.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
ooooh, you compose breakcore? Can I hear some?
I'm not happy with the snare I'm using now. I need to get some new samples. But I'm kind of not composing right now. I'm taking a big music hiatus. Selling my pro-tools setup and probably a couple of my guitars as well. I'll keep Ableton Live, my Taylor, and I'll probably keep my keyboard, but I'm dumping everything else. Mics, pre-amps, pedals, everything.

I haven't shared my stuff with many people. Sorry. I don't really want it out there. It's not as polished as what you've shared from venetian snares, but it's very similar in composition. My samples are a bit weak compared to theirs, but not terrible. I don't like the snares I have, and my glitch kit is pretty bad, but my synths are solid, because I designed them myself.

Anywho, I'm getting more and more interested in hardstyle techno. Any recommendations? It's gotta be something I can work out to.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Anyone have any
good indie/alternative bands
for me? I'm mainly into
Vampire Weekend and
the like.

Oh, here's some info.

They're really a good band, but not well known. Just good indie rock. Seriously, give them a try.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Anyone have any
good indie/alternative bands
for me? I'm mainly into
Vampire Weekend and
the like.

Oh, here's some info.

They're really a good band, but not well known. Just good indie rock. Seriously, give them a try.
by "and the like" are you referring to the band The Like? Probably not. But, The Like is a pretty good female indie pop group.

As for stuff that sounds more like Vampire Weekend, you might like some Deerhoof. They are a bit noisier and weirder but the musical style is sometimes similar.

You might also like some of Animal Collective's more recent stuff. The album Strawberry Jam is pretty good. I hate their latest album but most people love it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
ween is amazing, and i dont even smoke weed. i never understood in the aeroplane over the sea.
+ loads of rep to you my friend because a friend's a friend who knows what being a friend is.

My favorite band of all time.

S

smash brawl player 99021

by "and the like" are you referring to the band The Like? Probably not. But, The Like is a pretty good female indie pop group.

As for stuff that sounds more like Vampire Weekend, you might like some Deerhoof. They are a bit noisier and weirder but the musical style is sometimes similar.

You might also like some of Animal Collective's more recent stuff. The album Strawberry Jam is pretty good. I hate their latest album but most people love it.
No offense, but I listened to both of their work and I didn't like it :/
Got anything else?

Really my top favorite bands right now are...

Coldplay
Vampire Weekend
Passion Pit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom