• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Monthly] ADVENT IX presented by Next Level Lan

Linguini

Smash Master
YES NO HBOX!!!!!

lol sorry juan,it's just i don't feel like playing a brawl mini-game in melee

that being said i'm trying to get up there with jason and blea. it all depends whether blea can get off work, if so we can def make it.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
Anybody from SFL coming?
If someone could post the link to this thread on the SFL melee group on facebook I'd appreciate it. I want people to know about it.

Come on time, I won't delay doubles long.
Bring setups like always.

Hungrybox will not be showing for this particular advent so 1st is currently up for grabs lol
So...for grand finals...

Colin vs Pulp.

I am calling it now.

Zoro

Smash Champion

Power Rankings are coming the week after Advent IV, like it or not.

I know peoples going to be mad when they come out and they ain't on it. Show up to tournaments!!

I'm talking to: Smashmac, Project, Shiz, SpeedN, Harriet the Guy, Skrach, Blea, Rockcrock, Apollo, Toobz, AceDude, Spider Sense, Nastee, Trikrome, Keelime, Andres, Hozart, HALF OF CFL! and most of SFL!

SmashMac

Smash Lord

Power Rankings are coming the week after Advent IV, like it or not.

I know peoples going to be mad when they come out and they ain't on it. Show up to tournaments!!

I'm talking to: Smashmac, Project, Shiz, SpeedN, Harriet the Guy, Skrach, Blea, Rockcrock, Apollo, Toobz, AceDude, Spider Sense, Nastee, Trikrome, Keelime, Andres, Hozart, HALF OF CFL! and most of SFL!
Lol. People don't have to see your name on a power-ranking list to consider you or be convinced you're a good player. No one should judge a player's skill by a ranking or a video or any of that stuff until they actually play the person and see where there mind is at for themselves.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
We're still gonna do a panel for PRs, right Zoro? I think the ELO system is good, but is still in its infancy. Even when it's more developed, I'm not sure it should be our only metric for player rating.

/Apollo on DarkSonic's account; we're cool cuz we hang out outside of smash

Zoro

Smash Champion
Lol. People don't have to see your name on a power-ranking list to consider you or be convinced you're a good player. No one should judge a player's skill by a ranking or a video or any of that stuff until they actually play the person and see where there mind is at for themselves.

Some people like rankings, some people don't. Rankings exist in every sport because they matter to some people. Not judgement of skill, it's rewarding and acknowledging players that dedicate their time to getting and performing better.I define PRs as: Order of players which affect the outcome of a tournament, whether that be beating people below their rank or changing results entirely.

If someone isn't showing up to a tournament they aren't affecting the results. Not necessarily about skill since we all know Shiz, Rice and a few others are all up there. If they don't show how could we acknowledge them. Going to 2 tournaments in 4 months isn't all that difficult. Acknowledgment for any less I feel would be a slap in the face to the people that show up to all of them and place top at each.

An analogy:
There are top 10 lists for best shooting guards in the NBA
Michael Jordan is the greatest shooting guard of all time
Michael Jordan is not on the top 10 list for best shooting guards in the NBA, since he doesn't play anymore.
Likewise Shaq is off the top 10 list even though he stopped playing only half a year ago.

Active players are the only ones which should be recognized

We're still gonna do a panel for PRs, right Zoro? I think the ELO system is good, but is still in its infancy. Even when it's more developed, I'm not sure it should be our only metric for player rating.

/Apollo on DarkSonic's account; we're cool cuz we hang out outside of smash
Yeah man ELO probably won't even change public opinion much but it's there as a tool to reduce bias. Final verdict will be handled by panelists.

Gimme January to start showing up regularly.
When will the next PR be?
ELO will basically reset after these PRs
Afterwards we'll track elo from January through April for another PR. Then another from May to August, finally back to September to December. I want three PRs a year to motivate attendance. We could do bi-annual rankings instead from Jan to Jun and July to Dec but that'll be decided by the panel as well. Changing to Bi annual would not affect our current elo standings either.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I don't think the ELO ratings should reset that frequently. The system becomes more precise the more data it has to pull from and Colbol being a 1200 every four months only slows the system down in placing players appropriately. I think players should keep their ratings for fidelity's sake and MAYBE be allowed to petition a "reset" of points if they feel they have changed dramatically in skill.

Zoro

Smash Champion
I don't think the ELO ratings should reset that frequently. The system becomes more precise the more data it has to pull from and Colbol being a 1200 every four months only slows the system down in placing players appropriately. I think players should keep their ratings for fidelity's sake and MAYBE be allowed to petition a "reset" of points if they feel they have changed dramatically in skill.

Most people that do ELO even online games like LOL have ELO decay. It'd be very hard for people to catch up with colbol ever if he kept all his points.

I was thinking of resetting back to certain starting points depending on how much you have. Hbox for example with like 1450 or whatever he has currently would go to 1250
me with 1250 would go to 1205 and lower players come back to 1200 or 1190. Not everyone would start at 1200 again.

Also resetting lets people know how you did in a specific range of time. While accumulation of elo just means people can purposely avoid tournaments to keep high elo.Chops for example went to 1 tourney had 1280 after his second he had like 1250 or something. If he stopped at 1 tourney he would have been better off. That's why decay is implemented in most elo ratings.

None of this is set in stone until you guys talk about it though as a panel.

Pi

Smash Hero
i'll def. try to get someone to pick up my shift for this, but don't wanna request off since it's the week after apex lol

Zoro

Smash Champion
Zoro, I'd love to chat with you about this tourney series sometime. I like how it's been doing over the last couple of months. That and MNM.

:rosalina:
It's been going pretty well, i'm sure it'd be a lot better if I had the time to invest in hosting it properly.

Rest of the community will need to step it up for a while for me. My new job isn't lenient with requesting days off, so the probability that I'll miss these is high for the next 5 months or so. MNM I can say i'm truly happy with, 10-20 people every week is still great in my eyes.

Flaf20

Smash Rookie
Definitely gonna try to make this event and bring along some other Jax guys.

Confirmed Jax is coming.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Damn multiple regions/cities/towns outside of Orlando coming to this...

I might actually have to enter.

Top Bottom