• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MetaKnight Infinite Dimensional Cape - hope you enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
You do down b while holding the down direction and you spam the c-stick upward over and over again as fast as you can (you can also configure buttons to upsmash to help if you can use another finger on you left had to hold the analog downward). Tilt the analog slightly in any direction while maintaining the downward command to move a little. If you go off an edge, you'll end your dimensional cape and suicide in a free fall.

gantrain05

Smash Master
If it is so good as anything besides a stall, where is the results proofing it (videos even)? If it is to be banned for being "too good", it should be banned with results, NOT simply thinking it is broken.
honestly, if MK were to use this as an approach, i'd just punish the ending lag =/ plain and simple it really isn't anything special as an approach, i've seen it used b4 when MK has just KO'd the other person and uses it to stay away from them during invinciblity which, imo is also cheap, but its only banned for stalling purposes, nobody said it couldn't be used otherwise.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
honestly, if MK were to use this as an approach, i'd just punish the ending lag =/ plain and simple it really isn't anything special as an approach, i've seen it used b4 when MK has just KO'd the other person and uses it to stay away from them during invinciblity which, imo is also cheap, but its only banned for stalling purposes, nobody said it couldn't be used otherwise.

My problem is players and TOs will assume that when IDC is used, it will only be used for stalling. I don't like the thought of when someone does it, they get penalized for assumed stalling....

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
um,....i agree with u but u seem like u need an arguement

Also if they were going to ban MK for being "broken" then why shouldnt snake for his snake dash or the defensive tech when u b-stick?

all the characters are essentially broken and anyways its the makers own fault for not fidning this problem

although i do agree with baning it from tourneys; there is no way to really tell if the user is stalling or approaching, heck his approach could turn ito a stall......

metaXzero

Smash Champion
um,....i agree with u but u seem like u need an arguement

Also if they were going to ban MK for being "broken" then why shouldnt snake for his snake dash or the defensive tech when u b-stick?

all the characters are essentially broken and anyways its the makers own fault for not fidning this problem

although i do agree with baning it from tourneys; there is no way to really tell if the user is stalling or approaching, heck his approach could turn ito a stall......
MK is said to have no disadvanteageous match-ups. Snake has some bad match-ups.

My proposal takes care of the stalling problem by costing the user the match if the time runs out.

Since no one is arguing against my proposal, I guess I win? :(

Now to get this to the SBR.....

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Faulty proposal.

So is it enough if MK does the IDC once once or twice? Does he have to be doing it when the time runs out? How is enough for him to auto-lose should the time run out? Do it just once and you auto-lose if the time runs out?

Deoxys

Smash Lord
YAY! No ban for MK
For now

I guess I'll throw in my proposal for unbanning it. How about the rule that if a MK uses IDC, should the match time run out, the MK loses. Takes care of the reason that IDC was banned in the first place right (MK's stalling out matches).

Reason I vouch for the unbanning of IDC is because besides being used as a stall, I don't believe IDC is broken. So it should be proven as broken through tourney results and vids.

THIS POST RIGHT HERE! MY PROPOSAL!
So, in an MK ditto, what happens?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Have we not talked about the edge-middle neutral thing already?
Or that it can basically allow MK to control spacing whenever he wants, run away when ever he wants, and edge camp whenever he wants?
Or that he can get past projectiles so easily with this that it eliminates giant parts of a character's game play and allows him to completely dominate?

:093:

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Have we not talked about the edge-middle neutral thing already?
Or that it can basically allow MK to control spacing whenever he wants, run away when ever he wants, and edge camp whenever he wants?
Or that he can get past projectiles so easily with this that it eliminates giant parts of a character's game play and allows him to completely dominate?

:093:
wtf is the edge-middle neutral thing?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Faulty proposal.

So is it enough if MK does the IDC once once or twice? Does he have to be doing it when the time runs out? How is enough for him to auto-lose should the time run out? Do it just once and you auto-lose if the time runs out?
If he does it one time in the match...

Deoxys: If both use it, then the match is treated like a normal one.

aeghur: unproven...

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
If it is so good as anything besides a stall, where is the results proofing it (videos even)? If it is to be banned for being "too good", it should be banned with results, NOT simply thinking it is broken.
Where is the proof that it can be used as anything besides a stall? We don't need to test it. His attack out of the cape is pretty pitiful, and all this would do is make his cape reach far. Nobody wants to test it because it would ruin a tournament. Nobody is going to pay money to lose to some **** smashing his cstick.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Where is the proof that it can be used as anything besides a stall? We don't need to test it. His attack out of the cape is pretty pitiful, and all this would do is make his cape reach far. Nobody wants to test it because it would ruin a tournament. Nobody is going to pay money to lose to some **** smashing his cstick.
Well it can get MK out of a bad situation. That's one use.

If their is an alternate to banning, you take the alternate. Banning is for TRULY broken techniques with no solution for them besides banning.

gantrain05

Smash Master
oh yeah, cuz meta really needs to ever get out of a tight situation, sure, give him this tech, and bring him yet another step closer to having the character banned.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
oh yeah, cuz meta really needs to ever get out of a tight situation, sure, give him this tech, and bring him yet another step closer to having the character banned.
So basically, ban all new ATs and tricks discovered for MK? If he's REALLY at that point now where his metagame can't be allowed to advance without him becoming too powerful, he might as well be banned.

And again, original statements for its banning were inability to tell if MK is stalling (which my proposal countered)...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
So basically, ban all new ATs and tricks discovered for MK? If he's REALLY at that point now where his metagame can't be allowed to advance without him becoming too powerful, he might as well be banned.
I don't think you understand, if CF or someone low tier had this technique I could see it being banned. Besides, MK has very few real AT's. Most characters don't (depending on what you call an AT). They're not banning this because it would make MK specifically too powerful, they banned it because it would be broken on any character. A technique that makes you completely invulnerable for as long as you like should be banned period, unless you can limit it reasonably, and at this point in time and in the near future it looks like there will not be a reasonable way to limit it other than outright banning it.

And again, original statements for its banning were inability to tell if MK is stalling (which my proposal countered)...
I think what they meant is that if you were to allow it, you would have to define stalling through this technique. Making very specific rules on a technique (Repetitions, Duration, etc) is not only usually hard to upkeep/enforce, but they also attract a lot of subjective views since it IS hard to define what stalling is. Some people say that running away period/at all slows the match down and delays play, while some people think that running away is fine but that Stalling would be something like edge camping or abusing something to stay invulnerable completely.

For example, let's say you allow someone to use it for 5 seconds maximum before they have to stop. Someone would probably ask why not be able to use it for 10 seconds, 15 seconds, why pick/choose a specific time length? That, and now what do you do if someone calls you over and says their opponent used it for more than 5 seconds? If you want to be able to reasonably upkeep your rule, you would need a "referee" on every TV with a stopwatch. It's not wise to have a rule involved that is hard to enforce unless u have a rule for like the safety of players that is necessary or something.

So since you cannot reasonably define stalling with this technique, and it is indeed powerful if left unrestricted, then the best option is to ban it. U obviously cannot completely allow it, and at the same time there's not a good way to define a good boundary for this.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I don't think you understand, if CF or someone low tier had this technique I could see it being banned. Besides, MK has very few real AT's. Most characters don't (depending on what you call an AT). They're not banning this because it would make MK specifically too powerful, they banned it because it would be broken on any character. A technique that makes you completely invulnerable for as long as you like should be banned period, unless you can limit it reasonably, and at this point in time and in the near future it looks like there will not be a reasonable way to limit it other than outright banning it.

I think what they meant is that if you were to allow it, you would have to define stalling through this technique. Making very specific rules on a technique (Repetitions, Duration, etc) is not only usually hard to upkeep/enforce, but they also attract a lot of subjective views since it IS hard to define what stalling is. Some people say that running away period/at all slows the match down and delays play, while some people think that running away is fine but that Stalling would be something like edge camping or abusing something to stay invulnerable completely.

For example, let's say you allow someone to use it for 5 seconds maximum before they have to stop. Someone would probably ask why not be able to use it for 10 seconds, 15 seconds, why pick/choose a specific time length? That, and now what do you do if someone calls you over and says their opponent used it for more than 5 seconds? If you want to be able to reasonably upkeep your rule, you would need a "referee" on every TV with a stopwatch. It's not wise to have a rule involved that is hard to enforce unless u have a rule for like the safety of players that is necessary or something.

So since you cannot reasonably define stalling with this technique, and it is indeed powerful if left unrestricted, then the best option is to ban it. U obviously cannot completely allow it, and at the same time there's not a good way to define a good boundary for this.
I really hate this assumption that because it renders MK invulnerable, its auto-broken. It also leaves MK with few options out of it while doing it (waiting to attack, fleeing, stalling,). And my proposal clearly nerfs those (and kills incentive to stall). Melee Fox could parry any move with shines, ICs could 0-death CG, D3 wrecks several character witn an infinite. Did we just look at those instances and say BAN NAO before it can actually do anything (assuming it would do anything substantial)?

Also, where is this stopwatch and time limit talk coming from? WE ALREADY KNOW THAT LIMITING IDC BY PUTTING A TIME LIMIT IS INVIABLE. Hence why my proposal does NOTHING with putting a time limit.

As said, my rule CAN be done in tournies and could show whether IDC is broken even without the ability to stall (Seriously, would you stall a match when it puts you in the position to LOSE?).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I really hate this assumption that because it renders MK invulnerable, its auto-broken. It also leaves MK with few options out of it while doing it (waiting to attack, fleeing, stalling,). And my proposal clearly nerfs those (and kills incentive to stall). Melee Fox could parry any move with shines, ICs could 0-death CG, D3 wrecks several character witn an infinite. Did we just look at those instances and say BAN NAO before it can actually do anything (assuming it would do anything substantial)?
It's not just an assumption, it's fact. This would make ANY CHARACTER BROKEN! ANY! U give this to Captain Falcon and it would STILL be banned.

For Dedede, he only does it to a select few characters. U can counterpick him with a character that does not get infinited or even CG'd. For IC's, their CG's are allowed mostly because of the limitations already built in to them (poor grab range, needing Nana to assist, etc). U can also CP them with characters who are hard to grab and stages that are terrible for IC's like RC or Norfair.

U can't CP the IDC, U can't pick a character that can somehow counter a character being invulnerable.

As said, my rule CAN be done in tournies and could show whether IDC is broken even without the ability to stall (Seriously, would you stall a match when it puts you in the position to LOSE?).
I wanna hear your proposal (Not sure what page it is posted on). Because the way the current situation looks like, U either allow it with caps/definitions on stalling or outright ban it. I've yet to see a way for someone to universally define stalling with it that is also easy to enforce. Also, when people "stall" they usually do it to win, otherwise ur right why Stall when you increase your risk of losing when you are down? lol.

Edit: "If IDC is used in a match, the MK forfeits the ability to win by time running out."

I see a few problems with this:

1. Say there are two MK's playing each other. They both decide to IDC. Time runs out. Who wins?
2. What if a MK uses the normal DC, wins because of time, and his opponent claims he used the IDC? Obviously you would need someone watching the TV with intense frame knowledge who can tell whether he extended the duration of the DC or not.

This rule would not work because of the need for someone to watch the TV's AND because of the nit picky subjectivity it would bring. What happens if the MK uses it for 5 seconds once in a match and gained nothing position wise? What if his opponent picks a stage with a lot of hazards and he uses this to avoid them briefly and then keep playing? Would it be fair to disqualify him in either situation?

There is no clear cut answer to those, where as outright banning it is a clear cut solution.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
It's not just an assumption, it's fact. This would make ANY CHARACTER BROKEN! ANY! U give this to Captain Falcon and it would STILL be banned.

For Dedede, he only does it to a select few characters. U can counterpick him with a character that does not get infinited or even CG'd. For IC's, their CG's are allowed mostly because of the limitations already built in to them (poor grab range, needing Nana to assist, etc). U can also CP them with characters who are hard to grab and stages that are terrible for IC's like RC or Norfair.

U can't CP the IDC, U can't pick a character that can somehow counter a character being invulnerable.

I wanna hear your proposal (Not sure what page it is posted on). Because the way the current situation looks like, U either allow it with caps/definitions on stalling or outright ban it. I've yet to see a way for someone to universally define stalling with it that is also easy to enforce. Also, when people "stall" they usually do it to win, otherwise ur right why Stall when you increase your risk of losing when you are down? lol.

Edit: "If IDC is used in a match, the MK forfeits the ability to win by time running out."

I see a few problems with this:

1. Say there are two MK's playing each other. They both decide to IDC. Time runs out. Who wins?
2. What if a MK uses the normal DC, wins because of time, and his opponent claims he used the IDC? Obviously you would need someone watching the TV with intense frame knowledge who can tell whether he extended the duration of the DC or not.

This rule would not work because of the need for someone to watch the TV's AND because of the nit picky subjectivity it would bring. What happens if the MK uses it for 5 seconds once in a match and gained nothing position wise? What if his opponent picks a stage with a lot of hazards and he uses this to avoid them briefly and then keep playing? Would it be fair to disqualify him in either situation?

There is no clear cut answer to those, where as outright banning it is a clear cut solution.
1. If both MKs use IDC, its treated the same as both MKs NOT using IDC.
2. By that logic, under the current ban, everytime a MK uses regular DC, we can't tell if they are using IDC or not and they should be penalized for possibly using IDC (leaving MKs Down-B soft-banned). Basically, how do we know currently when MKs use DC, they aren't using IDC?

Why would a MK use IDC for no reason?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What if the MK get's his opponent to killing %'s, uses the IDC until the last few seconds, and then reappears and kills his opponent before time runs out? He technically has more stocks than his opponent, so now should he win or not? He's winning on time, but not just on %'s but on Stocks. Does he win or lose?

Trust me, unless you have every type of those scenario's described in depth to the players then you are gonna have a real problem when something questionable occurs and you don't have the guidelines super clear.

OR, u can outright ban it (which the majority of the community agree's that it is broken in the first place) and not have to bother with subjective rules that have to go in depth and can cause quite a few misunderstandings/arguments.

Edit:
I'll give up when a VIDEO showing IDC as a broken tool (besides stalling) EVER surfaces. Statements in the end aren't good enough unproven.
There doesn't need to be another reason for it to be banned. It is a good Stalling Tool that is HARD to put guidelines on other than just removing it completely. I think it is clear that this should not be allowed completely unrestricted. There is no good way to put guidelines over it or to reasonably reduce it's potentcy, hence it is banned.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
What if the MK get's his opponent to killing %'s, uses the IDC until the last few seconds, and then reappears and kills his opponent before time runs out? He technically has more stocks than his opponent, so now should he win or not? He's winning on time, but not just on %'s but on Stocks. Does he win or lose?

Trust me, unless you have every type of those scenario's described in depth to the players then you are gonna have a real problem when something questionable occurs and you don't have the guidelines super clear.

OR, u can outright ban it (which the majority of the community agree's that it is broken in the first place) and not have to bother with subjective rules that have to go in depth and can cause quite a few misunderstandings/arguments.

Edit:

There doesn't need to be another reason for it to be banned. It is a good Stalling Tool that is HARD to put guidelines on other than just removing it completely. I think it is clear that this should not be allowed completely restricted. There is no good way to put guidelines over it or to reasonably reduce it's potentcy, hence it is banned.
That scenario, I'm assuming the opponent is on his last stock when KOed by IDC. In that case, the MK wins. He won via KOing all his opponent's stocks.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That scenario, I'm assuming the opponent is on his last stock when KOed by IDC. In that case, the MK wins. He won via KOing all his opponent's stocks.
No, I meant what if he has two stocks, MK has two stocks, and he uses the IDC to Stall and then kills him before time runs out.

Oh well, I don't think anything other than a ban is suitable for this. I'm tired, hungry, and a bit thirsty. I mean we can go on further with this, I don't have a problem since there's been no name calling or fussing lol. The real question is that if you do come up with a proposal, can it be enforced easily and does the community find it suitable?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
No, I meant what if he has two stocks, MK has two stocks, and he uses the IDC to Stall and then kills him before time runs out.

Oh well, I don't think anything other than a ban is suitable for this. I'm tired, hungry, and a bit thirsty. I mean we can go on further with this, I don't have a problem since there's been no name calling or fussing lol. The real question is that if you do come up with a proposal, can it be enforced easily and does the community find it suitable?
Ditto. I just returned from Orlando with no food. And I appreciate the lack of immature discussion. ^_^

Unfortunantely, while my current proposal CAN be done, SBR would rather to never discuss this again and just ignore me :(

Anyway, could you bring up any more questinable scenarios?

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
It's not banned because it's broken and wins matches on it's own. Wobbling isn't typically banned and it will win matches by itself.

The most likely two reasons it's banned is because of the rules headache it generates along with the side effect of drawing the matches out longer than necessary. While someone who uses it may not specifically use it to run out the timer, it does inherently make the matches longer than needed. Brawl tournaments last longer than they should as it is (Oh Snap lasted until something like 6 or 7am and we started at 2pm the day before) and adding this on top of that would only make things worse.

While I do agree with you that in a perfect world there is potential to unban it you have to realize that this is not a perfect world and not everyone will use it fairly. Good luck trying to get it unbanned though :)

Dojo

Smash Champion
He just needs to get over it. It won't be unbanned. It's hardly even necessary in battle anyways, I dont understand why he's so bent up over this.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
He just needs to get over it. It won't be unbanned. It's hardly even necessary in battle anyways, I dont understand why he's so bent up over this.
The way SBR handled it is why I continue to yell for unbanning. The "inability to tell stalling" argument is pretty much defeated (my proposal), and the "its too broken as approach" argument is unproven (YOU don't even appear to believe it based on this quote).

I thought that after the main discussion ended in this thread months ago, the SBR would wait for some great incident to happen concerning IDC before banning it (if it EVER happened). That's what I thought anyway...

Jumpi 95

Smash Cadet
Did you even see my video?-_-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVCIzwoPdAc&feature=channel_page
I never do that anymore, the only time I use it is to dodge the invinsible frames when people die.
Plus, then I do that, I either attack them and gte hurt... Or I run away and I still get hurt.
it will be obvious if people stall for like 20 seconds:/ Only use for this thechnic is for Dodging as I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom