• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's Revenge: The Official Match-Up Thread *Wario* -> GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Might I request an Ike section by added by someone who mains Meta Knight and plays Ikes on numerous occasions?
It's up

My friend mains Meta (And is quite good) and says that he thinks the matchup is "practically even if the Ike spaces and plays smartly". While that's good news, I'd like to see what the rest of the world thinks about it.
I'm pretty sure most people most would disagree with your friend, but this thread isn't the place to discuss match-ups; its more of just a reference.

It'd suggest creating a new topic if you wanna see what the world thinks.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
It's up

I'm pretty sure most people most would disagree with your friend, but this thread isn't the place to discuss match-ups; its more of just a reference.

It'd suggest creating a new topic if you wanna see what the world thinks.
I'm sure most would, I myself think it's slightly in Meta's favor.

90:10 should be a fun read, however.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Could you change the odds against each character?

My matchup thread is pretty accurate.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5185974#post5185974

Maybe Wario and Diddy should be a bit lower, but I have no proof so I didn't lower their average difficulty rankings.
I updated most of them with your threads info, but there's a few that I don't quite understand.

I don't believe ANY match-up is worse than 55-45 for Meta Knight; Snake maybe...

TKD

Smash Lord
About not attacking Lucario while above you because of his dair priority.

Jump and attack him from the side with a back-air. It works. Back-air has more range than fair. It's very, very safe. Bair's animation also ends before touching the ground if you shorthop it, which means no landing lag. It's a safe move against Lucario. He's not short so short hopped bair hits him even if he's on the ground.

I'm just talking about "safe" because Lucario is scary. It's awful how you can't rampage him carelessly.

I don't believe ANY match-up is worse than 55-45 for Meta Knight; Snake maybe...
I fixed the list. I may still need more info on Wario though, he's candidate to be lowered to 40/60 (his chances). I don't like fives. 55-45 must either be 60/40 or 50/50. It used to be that way with Melee and it works.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I would of rather got beat fair and square then cheap like that, And you could of beat me without cheating also, but i still wanted to try my hardest.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I would of rather got beat fair and square then cheap like that, And you could of beat me without cheating also, but i still wanted to try my hardest.
Marth's Infinite Release Grab is not cheating. Also, I only used him in the first game of the set.
I sent you a PM. Next time you wanna talk, keep it in PMs; please don't post here.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question that has been debated back and forth...

Is DK a MK counter?

Answering with a Yes or a No is not what I'm looking for, I want to know what you, the MK mains think. A lot of DK players get cocky about the MU because everyone says "DK is the best counter for MK," but a lot of people think that statement is rediculous.

Is the MU a tough one against DK? Why? What does he do or what about him makes it so difficult? How do you overcome it?

I'm looking for detailed answers folks, and I'll greatly appreciate any answers.

Thanks.
He's an easy match up for me. I don't know why but he is. I just exploit the lag on some of his moves and punish.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
isnt wolf a bit stronger against mk? or do I just get lazerd easily
If you mean stronger as in "hits harder," than YES, his attacks do more damages than MKs.

If you mean stronger as in " better," than NO, getting around his lasers is easy and he's easily gimped.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I'd like to request a section on Kirby as a possible MK neutral matchup. The Kirby boards have the match as neutral, and I'd like to see what you guys think.

After all, Kirby does have more KO power than MK (F-smash, hammer, Stone), and he can copy the Tornado. And I'd like to see you gimp Kirby as easily as you can gimp...anybody. Seriously, IMO Kirby is the hardest character in the game for a MK to gimp kill, bar none.

What does MK have on Kirby? Do you think the match is neutral?

EDIT: post 100

Mourning Pirates Jubilee VI Grand Finals Set 2: Chudat (Kirby) vs. Chillin (MK)

Chu destroyed Chillin in the first set, but Chillin didn't use MK
Check the links beside the video for the next rounds

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I'd like to request a section on Kirby as a possible MK neutral matchup. The Kirby boards have the match as neutral, and I'd like to see what you guys think.

After all, Kirby does have more KO power than MK (F-smash, hammer, Stone), and he can copy the Tornado. And I'd like to see you gimp Kirby as easily as you can gimp...anybody. Seriously, IMO Kirby is the hardest character in the game for a MK to gimp kill, bar none.

What does MK have on Kirby? Do you think the match is neutral?

EDIT: post 100

Mourning Pirates Jubilee VI Grand Finals Set 2: Chudat (Kirby) vs. Chillin (MK)

Chu destroyed Chillin in the first set, but Chillin didn't use MK
Check the links beside the video for the next rounds
Kirby section is up.

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
I said, "You probably haven't played against GOOD DKs."
maybe he finds them easier because they're big? I do find bigger enemies easier to hit lol
I usually have a bit of trouble hitting in midair with smaller enemies though

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Cool Info.
Just a quick question to Metaknight mainers. Do you really find yoshi that hard? I hear Yoshi is good against him but I need your opinions on it.

TKD

Smash Lord
Cool Info.
Just a quick question to Metaknight mainers. Do you really find yoshi that hard? I hear Yoshi is good against him but I need your opinions on it.
If a skilled Yoshi is found, you can still counter him easily as another character, since Yoshi's overall matchup chart doesn't look nice. At all. Yoshi has an answer to everything. Yes, he is hard...at least until you start Mach Tornado'ing his sanity away.

I vote 55/45 in favor of MK for the Yoshi matchup. They had this discussion on the Yoshi forums but didn't put numbers on it. There aren't enough active Yoshi players out there to prove it's a better matchup for Yoshi.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
This is very true. At this point, it doesn't really matter how good a Yoshi does against MK for most of you, since he's a rarely played character. Enjoy it while you can.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Mk has a few bad match ups. I'm surprised according to this chart that MK has no bad match ups at all. The obvious ones are Snake, DK, Lucario, and Luigi, and Yoshi too.
When making a match up chart you have to keep in mind that both players will be equally skilled.
But instead this guide is portraying the best MK player in the world (who ever that might be) vs people that are of a lesser skill. The proof of this is how you explained in your guide that MK has no bad match ups at all, when that is not true.

TKD

Smash Lord
This is very true. At this point, it doesn't really matter how good a Yoshi does against MK for most of you, since he's a rarely played character. Enjoy it while you can.
Are you THREATENING the GOD TIER!??

PS: Sorry for spamming =(
The quotee wasn't helpful either xP

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i request a section on pt, if only because you and i can battle each other a lot! :D

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Mk has a few bad match ups. I'm surprised according to this chart that MK has no bad match ups at all. The obvious ones are Snake, DK, Lucario, and Luigi, and Yoshi too.
MK doesn't have any bad match-ups; those are match-ups that are slightly in his favor.

btw How did Luigi get in your list of hard match-ups? He's one of MK's easiest match-ups.

i request a section on pt, if only because you and i can battle each other a lot! :D
It is done.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I guess by looking at it. MetaKnight's "Tough" Matchups, are his neutral ones

I know MetaKnight doesn't have any "Hard" Hard Matchups, so I guess Neutrals are the next best thing

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I would like to know the other disadvantages that Ivysaur has to get 70:30'd aside from being easily gimped (that is, if Ivy doesn't hit you with Razor Leaf to knock you off of the ledge and then takes it for himself). I'm sure that MK is probably tough on him anyway, but I just want to know the other specifics to it all.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Ooh... an Ike section. I'll pitch in to that when I get home tonight.
Though, I can tell you what the main emphasis is going to be:
DON'T. GET. HIT.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Affinity, don't forget about Falco's shine, it also has the ability to knock you out of a tornado.

TKD

Smash Lord
Ike.

His strengths:
His forward air outranges you. His nair is deceptively lagless on contact with the ground. His jabs are amazing. His fair, bair, downB, dair easily outprioritize the tornado, even a well angled ftilt.

His KO moves:
Fair KOs at 130% (and gets refreshed quickly because of his jabs). Ftilt, uptilt, bair and upair can KO from 90%. His smashes too, except fsmash, which can KO very early. Nado doesn't outprioritize fsmash, keep away from if it'll hit. Watch out for bair!! If he's on a platform and shields a hit of yours, you may make him slide from the platform, along with the ability to instantly bair you.

How to play this one:
Good Ike players are a pain at first (if you ever get to play one, Ike's not frequently well played), in the sense that it's more of a guessing and prediction game against them than anything else.

Ike's spotdodge is amazing against MK. He can dodge a fair or a dtilt, frequently even an ftilt, and jab you for 14%. He can dodge dairs with no problem. He can spotdodge any tilt or aerial and perform jabs, and it works. An Ike player has to abuse spotdodging to beat MK's. Do not punish spotdodges by attempting dashgrabs, you get jabbed out of them. Besides his spotdodge, his fair also outranges your tilts and aerials, and KO's at 130%.
Forward air (KO's at 130%)
Back air (KO's from 90%)
Counter (hurts)
Ftilt/Uptilt (KO's from 90%)
Down air (so catch him with the side of the tornado if you're afraid of getting hit)

! - For all of these, wait and dashgrab.

LIST OF MOVES THAT YOU NEED TO TORNADO (Ike: tornado me please):
Spotdodge
Jabs
Airdodge (into the ground)

! - For all of these, mach tornado
! - Notice how these are all close-range options, so you shouldn't Mach Tornado from far away!

NEVER MT FROM AFAR
Yes, it works against Peach when she's pulled turnips out. Ike is another story. He can run away and bair you to death, he can ftilt, uptilt, forward air, counter...he has many painful options against your tornado if you let him see it coming.

- BOTTOM LINE: Tornado or space and dashgrab. Prediction is key. Since predicting works half the time, as does guessing, with your 50% guess success rate, plus the added 25% from the fact that you're actually predicting, you should have 75% control of this match.

Ike has two recovery methods:
- Quickdraw (the most commonly used):
Ike players double jump into quickdraw after being sent off the stage. You can try to intercept the move with your Shuttle Loop, but it is very difficult to pull off if he has already fired it, so you should Shuttle Loop him before he gets the chance to fire it off.

If he quickdraws into a platform, there's not much you can do about it, besides rushing into him and performing a Mach Tornado. Attempting to hit him can be risky, as hitting his shield may make him slide off of the platform and bair you. He cannot do this in FD though, neither can he do this most of the time on Smashville (lack of platforms for him to fall into), so you should take advantage of this and go dashgrab him, or even attempt another attack.

Quickdraw sweetspots into the edge too. If you predict your opponent attempting this, SPECIALLY if he starts his quickdraw at a low altitude and you know he's forced to try it, edgehog him. it's an auto stock loss for Ike.

Eather (upB):
When the Ike player has little recovery choices, because of being sent in a downwards angle or lacking his airjump, he may be forced to Eather onto the stage. Here are his two choices, and how to counter them:

- If his sword toss will reach above stage:
Jump and quickly clash your Shuttle Loop into his body. You will get hit by a minor one of his multiple blows, while he gets Shuttle Loop'ed away. If he can still recover, keep your edgeguard going.

- If his sword toss can only reach the edge:
Edgehog him, but wait until the LAST POSSIBLE MOMENT. This is so your invincible frames last longer than the Eather's hitbox. At the final instant his UpB can still hit you, press forward so your invincible frames last just a tiny bit longer for a successful edgehog. It is recommended that you try to hang on the edge after your opponent has pressed Up+B.

Besides taking advantage of Ike's recovery, it is insanely difficult to KO him, if he DI'es well, under very, very high percentages. You can attempt to down air offstage before he's able to perform Eather, if he has to recover from so low, that he is forced to Eather (not after though, since Eather has Super Armor frames, as we all know).

This would mean you can short hop aerial and tilt him without getting sidestepped, which also means it is relatively safe to do these things, which means you have little to worry about. Non-spotdodgey Ikes make for very easy wins.

MATCHUP ODDS:

Meta Knight 70/30 Ike

ADHD

Smash Hero
So then its true, Mk doesn't even have any matchups out of his favor lol (even if this is unofficial)

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Wow, that Ike section is way more detailed than what I was going to put.
As he mentioned, Fair and Bair are your two biggest concerns. However, it feels like he didn't put enough emphasis on the danger of Fsmash. It can kill MK at 30% from the center of Final Destination. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
Other than that, his is more complete than anything I would have put together.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Its an attack that comes out after you glide.

To glide, either do your upB, and glide from there. Or jump twice and hold the jump button.

EDIT: 4000th post wasted.

Well 5000 here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom