• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yeah, just a quick question...

In a m2k vs Santi match I saw yesterday, I noticed that m2k used the IDC as an approach against Santi... S, my question is this: Is it actually allowed in tourney play? And if so, can I be given any information as to how IDC can and can't be used, for how long, and any other conditions there might be? I'm not planning using it as a stalling option, just want to get my facts straight before I either face an MK who'd use it as an approach (if it IS allowed), or I do it purposefully in a random MM or whatever I might be doing it in.

Thanks for your time. :D

Abortion Doc

Smash Cadet
When shuttle looping Snake while he's using his Cypher, is it always a 100% chance that the Cypher will clip you and cancel freefall? I'm curious cause I wouldn't wanna be way offstage and have the thing miss me or something.

Thanks.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
yeah its pretty much guaranteed if you hit him before he gets off it. Usually you will still hit it even if he drops off because the cypher continues upwards after. I have seen it miss completely though if he airdodges off and you time it wrong.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
When shuttle looping Snake while he's using his Cypher, is it always a 100% chance that the Cypher will clip you and cancel freefall? I'm curious cause I wouldn't wanna be way offstage and have the thing miss me or something.

Thanks.
It's 100% if your Shuttle Loop isn't too stale to hit Snake out of Cypher.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I have a question. Is there a thread that has the magic (unstaled) d-smash numbers? Like, the min. amount of % each character needs to take to be KO'd centerstage on Final Destination? (E.g. Jigglypuff is 115%)

nieto6

Smash Rookie
I have a question. Is there a thread that has the magic (unstaled) d-smash numbers? Like, the min. amount of % each character needs to take to be KO'd centerstage on Final Destination? (E.g. Jigglypuff is 115%)

i could not find sth like such a thread with the search-function...but maybe there is one and im not able to find it - im not a veteran here :p

my question:
i have problems gainst snake so how do u give him high percentages without playing too offense? vid would be helpful.

greetz from europe

Nic64

Smash Lord
dsmash from the center of FD, training mode no DI front hit uncharged

Mario 127%
Luigi 127%
Peach 123%
Bowser 141%
Donkey Kong 140%
Diddy Kong 123%
Yoshi 134%
Wario 133%
Link 131%
Zelda 119%
Sheik 115%
Ganondorf 133%
Toon Link 124%
Samus 135%
Pit 125%
Ice Climbers 124%
ROB 134%
Kirby 114%
Meta Knight 113%
DDD 137%
Olimar 117%
Fox 109%
Falco 114%
Wolf 126%
Captain Falcon 130%
Pikachu 114%
Charizard 135%
Squirtle 110%
Ivysaur 129%
Lucario 130%
Jigglypuff 108%
Marth 120%
Ike 132%
Ness125%
Lucas 124%
Game and Watch 111%
Snake 138%
Sonic 125%

too lazy to do backside and the majority of dsmashes you get will be from the front anyway, and this is no DI so this is more or less just to give some form of comparison, the backside is considerably stronger though, used it on snake and got 121% compared to the 138% he survived from the front

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
It's 100% if your Shuttle Loop isn't too stale to hit Snake out of Cypher.
I'm pretty sure that if snake cypher while aiming away from the stage, the cypher won't alway hit you.

I once fighted a snake who was sure to die from my SL, and volunteerly aimed backward... He died, but so did I.

Then, maybe I screwed somehow, but I don't think so... It needs to be tested.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I think I recall missing it once, but not totally sure and even if so, that'd be once out of hundreds of attempts, if it's not 100%, it's like 99+%

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
dsmash from the center of FD, training mode no DI front hit uncharged

Mario 127%
Luigi 127%
Peach 123%
Bowser 141%
Donkey Kong 140%
Diddy Kong 123%
Yoshi 134%
Wario 133%
Link 131%
Zelda 119%
Sheik 115%
Ganondorf 133%
Toon Link 124%
Samus 135%
Pit 125%
Ice Climbers 124%
ROB 134%
Kirby 114%
Meta Knight 113%
DDD 137%
Olimar 117%
Fox 109%
Falco 114%
Wolf 126%
Captain Falcon 130%
Pikachu 114%
Charizard 135%
Squirtle 110%
Ivysaur 129%
Lucario 130%
Jigglypuff 108%
Marth 120%
Ike 132%
Ness125%
Lucas 124%
Game and Watch 111%
Snake 138%
Sonic 125%

too lazy to do backside and the majority of dsmashes you get will be from the front anyway, and this is no DI so this is more or less just to give some form of comparison, the backside is considerably stronger though, used it on snake and got 121% compared to the 138% he survived from the front
lawl I just tested this with some DI. :embarrass Thanks anyways.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
i could not find sth like such a thread with the search-function...but maybe there is one and im not able to find it - im not a veteran here :p

my question:
i have problems gainst snake so how do u give him high percentages without playing too offense? vid would be helpful.

greetz from europe
check out the matchup thread (its stickied on the front page).

A few tips that are important in this matchup:

-grabs are an excellent source of damage. You can approach with them, but don't be predictable or they will punish you for it. Grabs help you avoid grenades (especially if you have a higher controller port!)

-when he is in the air, punish him! watch out for his Bair though, it has crazy priority and the hitbox is really dumb. Try following his DI with upairs as he falls down from above, and/or grab, smash or Nair just when he lands. As others already mentioned, you can safely shuttle loop him when he is recovering from his cypher and get low percentage horizontal KO's--his cypher will knock you out of the shuttle loop, preventing you from getting into fallspecial.

-If he doesnt have a grenade in his hand, tornado is a great source of damage.

-I personally go into "punish" mode when playing snake. I try to get close enough to bait his ftilt, shield and punish. Im pretty sure you can punish with a dashgrab if you are fast.

Check out the matchup thread though, it has more info.

Hope that helps!

noodles

Smash Champion
sheik is really annoying. im pretty sure im just handling her tilts wrong though. wot do i do?

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
After valiantly maining Link and only Link for a year I've decided to test out MK. People I use to find hard are no longer hard to me and it's a really weird experience using this guy. So this is my first post here...ever.

Question: When I tornado how do you keep them from escaping? There's something weird about hitting B that affects it but I can't put my finger on the money...share your thoughts with me?

Abortion Doc

Smash Cadet
Is Planking considered stalling? I've seen a lot of threads regarding it but none have ever really clarified whether it's banned or not.

EDIT: Never mind, found out on my own. :p

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
what move should you use out of shield? i find myself having a bad habit of using nair too much out of it and im wondering what moves out of shield should be used for what situation

Palpi

Smash Hero
After valiantly maining Link and only Link for a year I've decided to test out MK. People I use to find hard are no longer hard to me and it's a really weird experience using this guy. So this is my first post here...ever.

Question: When I tornado how do you keep them from escaping? There's something weird about hitting B that affects it but I can't put my finger on the money...share your thoughts with me?
You just have to keep them from the middle top, but if they are at the side of the tornado that is where they will be QCDI'ing so you pretty much have to think on your feet.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
questions were asked. would anyone mind answering them?
Not many people have experience with the Sheik matchup you know...

Generally though I'd say try working on your spacing more. Try and mix up your approaches and dair more since I believe it ourprioritizes a lot of her moves. Sheik's tilts have a good amount of lag afterwards, so if you can bait her into performing one you can punish her. I guess that's really what the matchup is, a punishing game.

noodles

Smash Champion
i was playing this sheik for awhile so i **** it alot already. i just dont know what to do when i get caught in the tilts

Nic64

Smash Lord
I think ZSS can footstool tornado from her down B flip but other characters can't, off of memory I can't test atm

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
is there any video that shows the proper way to play against g&w... the only way i win is if i play really really careful :p

btw i already read the guide

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
If the only way you win is being really really careful....

Be really really careful!

Practice stuffing his Bairs and Nairs with SL out of shield.

Nic64

Smash Lord
is there any video that shows the proper way to play against g&w... the only way i win is if i play really really careful :p

btw i already read the guide
that's basically what you have to do most of the time against GAW, most of your normal aggro game won't work against GAW like it does on other characters. just be cautious, outspace him when you can, and abuse shuttle loop to defeat the turtle(and utilt can shut down his dair approach as well).

this is a good example of MK vs GAW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJmzWFdfzgw&feature=related

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
after watching a certain vid and losing to a pika CGer I have finally decided to convert to the gay, campy, and patient MK.

Anyone have any tips?

Top Bottom