• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Exdeath

Smash Master
Mew2King is the only MK who really does it, and many tournies ban stalling anyways so don't worry about it.
I legally stall and plank Diddy/Snake until they leave themselves open for a guaranteed punish/stop attempting to ledge trap me. I need to start doing it more though.

Staco

Smash Champion
Grab!

Hm, sometimes MK + Snake die while using the omnigay.
I think it has something to do with them beeing close to the outblast zone and not in it.

Gonzalo Barrios

Smash Apprentice
Questions

Hello.

I'm going to the nationals in my country in the next month, with 200-250 people competing (The prize for 1st is 1000$ so it's gonna be really competitive) and I have these questions:

1) I know this is a dumb question, but:
How you can "insta shield, or insta jump" after hitting a shield with a Tornado? I always forget how to do it. Or be able to react inmediatly after doing a tornado?

2)
The best approach to tournament level snake? and the best way to camp against snake?

3) Tips with high level Meta knight dittos? The number 1 ranked guy it's really good with meta and diddy kong, but I'm good against diddy but I accept any tips with diddy also.

4) What's better:
Camping or being aggresive in high level matches? I'm going to a national in 1 month, and I'm unsure with the following:

Play my style (very aggresive and I have won 5 tournaments)

Camping (Like tyrant or other metas did in MLG)

I know the tip of "do what you know" , but if the pros do it it's for something, no?

5) The best edgeguard strategy against Meta Knight?

6) Do I need a secondary for a big tournament? I'm good with Ice Climbers but Ice Climbers it's not a good secondary....

7) The best method to comeback if I'm losing? Aggresive or Camping?

8) Do I need a different control Scheme? Like Tap jump off or something?

9) Best neutrals and counterpicks with meta knight against the following characters:

Meta knight
Snake
Diddy
Falco
Lucario
Olimar
Toon link

10) I'm really weak with my MU with Falco, Toon Link and Olimar, some tips please? BTW, I need high level Toon link tips, the 2nd ranked guy it's a toon link and he has beated me a few times....

Thanks to whoever answer my questions, and SORRY if my english or grammar it's bad my main language it's spanish :D

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Eres mexicano o chileno? (son lo únicos que sé que harán nacional en erero lol)
Como sea... contestaré en ingles porque preguntaste en ingles (y para que los demás me den la razón o me desmientan...)

1) Match Tornado has a certain cooldown (30 frames), if you land after a certain timing after ending it, it won't have any lag, so you can move immediatly.

2) Camp carefully (Snake is very good at camping) until you find an opening. Then, hit him hard.
Random aggro may can get hit by nades (because MK's attacks ignites them).

3) Check the MU threads. All they have good useful info about that.

4) Experience is better than hoping others into responding those.
If you have your stile, get better at it, there's not really a "campy/aggro is better", because there's people that suck at it (I suck being campy or running away lol)

5) InviciNair. Read the guide, it also has tips about that.

6) Why not? If you're good with them and you find them good for you, use them.

7) (look at 4) Play carefully.

8) The one you think is better for you.

9) (see 8)

10) I can't help with this due to my experience.....

-LzR-

Smash Hero
A good Meta Knight knows when to switch between Aggressive and campy, if you play the same always, it won't be so good.

Gonzalo Barrios

Smash Apprentice
Eres mexicano o chileno? (son lo únicos que sé que harán nacional en erero lol)
Como sea... contestaré en ingles porque preguntaste en ingles (y para que los demás me den la razón o me desmientan...)

1) Match Tornado has a certain cooldown (30 frames), if you land after a certain timing after ending it, it won't have any lag, so you can move immediatly.

2) Camp carefully (Snake is very good at camping) until you find an opening. Then, hit him hard.
Random aggro may can get hit by nades (because MK's attacks ignites them).

3) Check the MU threads. All they have good useful info about that.

4) Experience is better than hoping others into responding those.
If you have your stile, get better at it, there's not really a "campy/aggro is better", because there's people that suck at it (I suck being campy or running away lol)

5) InviciNair. Read the guide, it also has tips about that.

6) Why not? If you're good with them and you find them good for you, use them.

7) (look at 4) Play carefully.

8) The one you think is better for you.

9) (see 8)

10) I can't help with this due to my experience.....
Chileno. I' have read the MU thread, I want to know the opinion of the guys here :) (like those litle tricks)
I'm really good being aggresive, but when I start camping I always die or receive way too much damage...

Thank's for the answers dude btw, I'm gonna chech the MU thread again and I didn't saw the inviciNair (Man I'm so blind)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No, I mean you must learn when to be aggressive and when to camp. That is how to be good with MK.

Gonzalo Barrios

Smash Apprentice
No, I mean you must learn when to be aggressive and when to camp. That is how to be good with MK.
Ok, but when you mean "you must" I understand something like "practice" (so I know what to do in certain MU's, it's different camping with snake or being aggresive with Toon link lol) But, now I get your point.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yes, it's something you must learn on your own to be able to use well. I used to camp all the time, I lost to DK because of that. When I camped, he had time to charge his punch which really makes things a lot harder on such and easy MU.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Wow. What the fk is wrong with you people stealing my pic. First staco, then some yoshi guy then Gonzalo barrios.
Fk you guys.

etecoon

Smash Hero
diddy's side taunt is the only good thing about him

other than that someone needs to make a hack that completely deletes the rest of his moveset and then we can play that as tournament standard : )

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
What moves outspaces yoshi's grabs?

Also any other options against a good yoshi?

Just wondering considering I'll probably be playing one at a tournament this Tuesday.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Yoshi is hard to non-tornado approach.

I used to just space fair, but it's kinda dangerous. You can try fastfalling fair and instantly rolling. It might work?

I dunno, mostly jump around dair, then nado until you feel comfortable what to do against him.

Albert.

Smash Master
The MK v Yoshi metagame is simple.

You go back to character select screen, and then you switch to Marth, and then you jump around and Forward Air a lot until you Neutral air them >/= 120% to kill them.

As you're playing Marth, just think, "If I get grabbed, no stupid air-release frames are gonna trap me and do negligible but infuriating damage to me"

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
It's a really technique. It's just called omnigay because Omni found this out (or made the first video of it) and gay because... It's gay.
You have to Uthrow a Snake holding a grenade about to blow, so that it blows when you're in the top of the screen. It also works with other explosives like Tink's or Link's.
Kirby can do this too, but ensure you have a higher port. Or you're gonna Omnifail and you die without him. xD

[Oops, page fail I guess, sorry.]

Gonzalo Barrios

Smash Apprentice

You go back to character select screen, and then you switch to Marth, and then you jump around and Forward Air a lot until you Neutral air them >/= 120% to kill them.

As you're playing Marth, just think, "If I get grabbed, no stupid air-release frames are gonna trap me and do negligible but infuriating damage to me"
That's Lame.

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman

I kinda lol'd actually.

So more than likely strike FD and (YI or SV?) and try to get BF/LC if possible, Dair camp, nado his ****ty shield but retreat to a platform to keep him from grabbing me, avoid eggs, get him off stage, and if all else fails, CP with Marth? :p

Pwneroni

Smash Lord

Haha toooo good xD

C.J.

Smash Master
End it at a certain height from the ground. Nado has 30 frames of lag on it, always and if you land at a certain height the 30 frames it takes to land are the 30 frames of lag. If you're in the air so that it'd take you 20 frames to land, when you land you'll lag for 10 frames.

Although, I think if you do it 100% perfectly it's only 29 frames... yeah.

Albert.

Smash Master
You should just start with the CP Marth thing because yoshi is one of those rare matchups where MK has to think

With Marth you just do marth stuff and it's somehow easier, just in my opinion.

anyway,
Every MK main should have a decent Marth, because the reverse is almost 100% true.

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to get down a couple of tricks with MK but I can't stop screwing up some...

I have an idea how to run off stage, nair, then SL back. Could I dash off stage, nair, then SL back?

I got down ledge falling, nair, then shuttle back, I somewhat can DC the ledge from the a dash. I figured out how to ledge release into a SL in both directions.

Is there anything else I should learn to do with Meta Knight?

Top Bottom