• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
If you're new to the matchup, don't try to beat Link's Dair. If it hits the ground, great, free dsmash or whatever. If he's using it while slowly falling, leave it alone. He'll mess up the autocancel eventually.

When he's offstage, throw Dairs to gimp. Or whatever, it's Link.

If he's really high up, don't try to shuttle loop him. If he puts Dair out, you'll hit and and die SUPER early.

Don't get him by too much spam. If you suck at shielding it, jump around. You're ****ing Meta Knight.

etecoon

Smash Hero
What is the best way to fight ddd with mk? I for some reason seem to get sheildgrabbed alot and I never win. Any tips on the MU?
space outside of his grab range, walk around so you can powershield his ftilt and waddle dees. don't really approach him just use retreating and full hop aerials to protect yourself, while spacing outside of his range watch for openings you can punish with dash attack/dash grab/nado

etecoon

Smash Hero
it's fast and covers a good distance but the priority is meh, so you have to be surgical about finding holes to put it in

that came out wrong but I'm leaving it <_<

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well MK has a very fast Dash Attack. It can be used to punish moves from a long distance and it's out only nonspecial move without trandescent priority so it can be used to cancel moves like projectiles.

Staco

Smash Champion
MKs dash attack is pretty good, but don´t overuse it.
It can be punished on block pretty easily, such as all other dash attacks.
But it sets up the enemy into a good position for follow ups.

It also doesn´t have transcendent priority, that makes it a really good move for MK!
If you run into Marth and you expect a FAir you could just use Dash Attack, and if you don´t hit and he uses Fair it will most likely hit each other (attacks will be canceld) and then you are in a pretty good position against Marth.

There are uses for it, but don´t just throw it ouf, if not necessary, it´s not to safe.

I like the DDD MU.
Try to get a good edgeguard game against DDD, if he is once offstage you shouldn´t let him get back.

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
I've always wondered this but is dthrow into Nado an actual combo?

Does it work on only heavier characters, or what?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
It's not a real combo, but it works very well against people who try to fair or something after your own Dthrow.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well it's like a reliable option. Every option that counters nado from a dthrow can be countered by something else. WE ARE META KNIGHT **** YEA

etecoon

Smash Hero
isn't that more or less what he does? every time he can't beat something he goes for the time out

but yeah, camp them back IMO

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I don't like to time out. It's really boring. I know that is such a scrubby mentality but I hate doing time outs.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I don't like to time out. It's really boring. I know that is such a scrubby mentality but I hate doing time outs.
Either man up and camp them back or take the loss like a man. Or you could just falcon punch them like a man. /shrugs

It's a scrubby mentality for a reason; it hurts your chance of winning and the alternative is legal.

Rad

Smash Ace
Hey this might seem like a stupid problem, but I almost never use F-tilt. I just instinctively choose D-tilt instead. Can someone give me a run down on when it's sensible to use F-tilt, and when it's sensible to use D-tilt?

They're probably not as interchangeable as I think they are. Thanks. :)

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Either man up and camp them back or take the loss like a man. Or you could just falcon punch them like a man. /shrugs

It's a scrubby mentality for a reason; it hurts your chance of winning and the alternative is legal.
Not necessarily. Like at a high level against... maybe Snake or something you can't really play aggro, but aggro MK is legit. Especially since most MK don't play super aggro, it's like that low tier novelty, except it's MK lol.

And since most players don't understand basic stage control, aggro MK can be REALLY good for just getting control of the stage and limiting options really quickly and fast, then punishing really hard off of spacing errors.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Hey this might seem like a stupid problem, but I almost never use F-tilt. I just instinctively choose D-tilt instead. Can someone give me a run down on when it's sensible to use F-tilt, and when it's sensible to use D-tilt?

They're probably not as interchangeable as I think they are. Thanks. :)
Dtilt has more range, but ftilt has a wider hitbox and hits aerial characters and it also doesn't extend your hurtbox like a mile forward.

EDIT: My question
I use dthrow about 99% of the time. When would it be a good time to use back or forward throws?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Fthrow works well it you Buffer it since most people just can't react, so you can do stuff after it.
And I use Bthrow most likely to get opponents offstage.

Uthrow is just a "backup" kill (or a low% combo starter)

Orion*

Smash Researcher
aggro mk is harder to play but isnt necessarily worse than camping mk.

if you can force gimps (and not drop them), and apply proper pressure a LOT of characters have no options.

ex: i think appling pressure to DK is better than camping him now. DK has very little answers if you zone him with dtilt, and randomly pressure with nado.

however when you camp him he jst charges punch, and if you jump it gives him mixups/gimmicks he can use. ntm bair is actually a good move lol.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That's right Orion, it might be the reason I can't beat DK. I just camp all the time, then I approach and get punched and die. I gotta try to not leave the DK time to breathe.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
force DK to put his shield up often by staying somewhere in his vicinity and threatening him with tornado

like orion said d-tilt is nice. dont let him downb you.

i dont think DK has an answer for tornado if he's above you trying to land. use it to keep him off the air and use it when he has no shield.

tornado is key to beating dk tho

Orion*

Smash Researcher
lmao i dont even nado at dk that much but, i dont really nado enough in general i think.

and @ lzr you dont have to be aggressive, just Applying some pressure is enough lol

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I just beat a good DK by using almost only nado lol
Tornado is good when both are in the same height in the air, he can do pretty nothing, even if he airdodges, he must pop his shield (and shield pressure begins).
Also, you can use it right above his head, he has few options, but he can read it and Utilt to beat it.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Dtilt has more range, but ftilt has a wider hitbox and hits aerial characters and it also doesn't extend your hurtbox like a mile forward.

EDIT: My question
I use dthrow about 99% of the time. When would it be a good time to use back or forward throws?
Ftilt 3 has more range than dtilt iirc

Exdeath

Smash Master
aggro mk is harder to play but isnt necessarily worse than camping mk.

if you can force gimps (and not drop them), and apply proper pressure a LOT of characters have no options.

ex: i think appling pressure to DK is better than camping him now. DK has very little answers if you zone him with dtilt, and randomly pressure with nado.

however when you camp him he jst charges punch, and if you jump it gives him mixups/gimmicks he can use. ntm bair is actually a good move lol.
There is a difference in running away and camping. Just because you're able to pressure within range doesn't mean that you aren't camping. I agree with not giving DK space; DK has a unique ability in that he is able to soft-force an approach against certain characters via his ability to charge his B. It's a quality that is similarly found in Wario's Down-B (though considerably different). It also helps that DK is terrible in shield. If DK shields something without a read, he must essentially either roll/leave himself vulnerable or continue shielding.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
are there any videos of theunabletable
also what do you mean by stage control.. cus i thought spacing was part of that. sry idk lol

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm pretty sure he means to play with platforms and their heights...

Kaffei

Smash Hero
So then you are saying he's talking solely about Stages like BF/SV? What about FD or Pictochat? Surely that's not the case.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
There is a difference in running away and camping. Just because you're able to pressure within range doesn't mean that you aren't camping.
also what do you mean by stage control.. cus i thought spacing was part of that. sry idk lol
both of these take way to long to respond to in a manner that i honestly have time // care about. but at Xdeath i agree with you, but most brawl players when they camp its more.... blatant to say the least :awesome:

and by stage control. augh this is so annoying to explain in a less than essay format

but pretty much if you are controlling (lets just use the mk ditto as an example) the center of the stage then you have more options than an opponent who has his back to the ledge.

im really now doing it justice but w.e

Exdeath

Smash Master
When you control the stage, there will be several characteristics that you hold over your opponent in that:

-You live longer
-You kill sooner
-You recover faster, safer, and have an easier time doing so
-Your options are less limited.

Conversely, you opponent:

-Lives shorter
-Kills later
-Recovers slower, with more risk, and has a harder time doing so
-Your options are limited (primarily because your immediate goal -- whether consciously or subconsciously -- will be to regain stage control, which then makes you more predictable).

That doesn't cover it as well as it should, but those are just some ways to know when you are in control of the stage. Just ask yourself if your position is more indicative of controlling the stage or not controlling the stage.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Nah I don't have any videos. I rarely go to tournies, MLG was the first one I'd been to in 2 months, and I've only been to 4 tournies in the past 7 months, and no one ever records me when I'm at tournaments :/

And you wouldn't gain much from studying my matches other than seeing me try and play to learn.

Control the center of the stage. It's really simple, just watch what M2K does. He always has the center of the stage.

The pros and cons were given to you by Xdeath, so I won't bother listing them.

Stage control is easy. People like to retreat a lot, so just ****in' follow them when they retreat until they can't retreat anymore. Your back to the ledge is the worst neutral position in the game, not counting actually being on the ledge (and your back to the ledge leads to being on the ledge more times than not if your opponent has good pressure).

I'm not gonna write out how to control the stage, since you already have all the resources to learn. Watch M2K play and notice that his opponent is closer to the ledge than he is more times than not (when he's not like scrooging or camping lol).

Just learn the basics of the game. They're more important than any MK AT or strat.

etecoon

Smash Hero
ideal stage location is partly MU dependent, more often you do want the center of the stage, but for instance, when diddy has two banana's out, staying by the ledge minimizes his reward for hitting with them

Kaffei

Smash Hero
ok i know what you mean now. I watch M2K 99999999999999999999x times so i understand lol

Top Bottom