• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I do everything right, but always at wrong moments.
When I buffer Dtilts after a Fair, opponent already jumped and I get the hit.
When I buffer Dash attacks, I ALWAYS get ShieldGrabbed
I use to miss OoSSLand get massive punished

And worst habit: spotdodging... (many people in this city suffers that, actually....)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have the very bad habit of airdodging pretty much after taking a hit. I have gotten sorta rid of it thought.
Also@above poster: Mix it up!

earla

Smash Lord
» Practice everyday starting Sunday, polish a few things with MK: Shuttle loops, Shadow Loops, ground game, Down Airing, Buffering

Havoks blog.

what is SHADOW LOOPS? and how do you practice buffering with mk? havok if you could reply to this that would be fantastic to describing what you practice in some more detail

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Idk if practicing everyday is such a good idea. If you're talking about practicing your tech skill, that's ok. But playing matches with people everyday is a bad idea.

Shadow Shuttleloops are just random *** Up-Bs that you make work. It's just whenever people least expect them, you Up-B.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Idk P4, back when I was starting it's how I felt I got a big jumpstart on alot of the competition back in 08.

I practiced daily for multiple hours at a time with Santi and co. During that spring break and summer vacation it's literally all I did.

Ended up getting 5th out of like 70+ at my first brawl tourney and kept improving. If you're playing another player that adapts (which Santi did) and you learn how to as well it keeps changing everything up so you're ready for everything.

To me, playing that much made alot of the reactions and things I have almost subconscious reactions. Some of the things I do while I play in tourney I do without even having to think about it. I'm thinking about my next move and my hands are doing whatever that scenario had set up without me even thinking about that exact moment in time. I'm already thinking about my follow-up/looking at time/percents/etc.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Idk P4, back when I was starting it's how I felt I got a big jumpstart on alot of the competition back in 08.

I practiced daily for multiple hours at a time with Santi and co. During that spring break and summer vacation it's literally all I did.

Ended up getting 5th out of like 70+ at my first brawl tourney and kept improving. If you're playing another player that adapts (which Santi did) and you learn how to as well it keeps changing everything up so you're ready for everything.

To me, playing that much made alot of the reactions and things I have almost subconscious reactions. Some of the things I do while I play in tourney I do without even having to think about it. I'm thinking about my next move and my hands are doing whatever that scenario had set up without me even thinking about that exact moment in time. I'm already thinking about my follow-up/looking at time/percents/etc.
Idk, for me it's like if I play too much, my bad habits start reappearing and becoming prominent in how I play, but when I take breaks I feel like I come back fresh and add onto what I know and get rid of some of my bad habits and start thinking more instead of auto-piloting. Maybe it's because I'm not great at adapting :ohwell:

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
Hello guys. I have a question for you guys. I recently posted my thoughts on the Peach bs MK match up in our GD. And basicly we had a few clashes with what people think. I truly think that Peach or really anyone does not have a safe move on mk. Is there any Mk players that know Peach very well and knows if anything is "safe" on shield like our bair? Safe in my eyes means nOt getting punished at all.

etecoon

Smash Hero
just taking a brief look at peaches frame data it doesn't appear that MK has any *guaranteed* punish for bair on shield, but likewise peach doesn't have a guaranteed follow up or escape, it comes down to reads. you can jab MK if he immediately drops shield to try something but if he stays in shield jab is punishable, much like ZSS' dsmash frame trap. you could anticipate this and grab, but he could SL or roll behind you or something

I'm not that experienced with the peach MU myself though so idk in more general terms, I just looked at frame data for that specific move you mentioned.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
All I know from Peach is that, with no turnip, she can't do pretty nothing against our shield pressure.
As for peach's options, I don't know if well-spaced ACed Fairs are useful....

I only fought Peach once in a Tournament... and I lost...

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Spaced AC Fair is safe on our shield.

But it's slow and I shuttleloop on reaction when I see the start up. You should focus and baiting shuttleloops.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Hello guys. I have a question for you guys. I recently posted my thoughts on the Peach bs MK match up in our GD. And basicly we had a few clashes with what people think. I truly think that Peach or really anyone does not have a safe move on mk. Is there any Mk players that know Peach very well and knows if anything is "safe" on shield like our bair? Safe in my eyes means nOt getting punished at all.
Lol yeah your Dair. We can't Up-B it OoS, and the best we can do is Nair OoS after it ends but you can falling Nair before we can Nair so you beat us out.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
I've seen mk upb ops it before and very rarely they do it during. I'm sure if you see us nair after the dair you won't make the mistake of letting go of shield again. In the end we still get punished.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I've seen mk upb ops it before and very rarely they do it during. I'm sure if you see us nair after the dair you won't make the mistake of letting go of shield again. In the end we still get punished.
Lol just try it >_>

MK can't Up-B Peach's Dair OoS. Also, our shield is way too frail to leave out long enough after a Dair. Just mix it up, you don't always have to Nair after you Dair, you could go for another Dair or just float our of our range.

Keep things mixed up and stop theory crafting so much, you'll be surprised how much stuff works in game that shouldn't, simply because theory crafting says it shouldn't work.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
Sigh I'm not theory crafting. I go to tournaments quite often and play mk's quite often. If it was that simple of dair mix up the mu would be 10 times easier. But alright I'm done with my question thank you.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I really hope you're not just trying to condition people to play like that for your own benefit, P4. =/

Dair is terrible on his shield and against his OoS options. I've played Shugo, Kel, and M2K enough to know that.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I really hope you're not just trying to condition people to play like that for your own benefit, P4. =/

Dair is terrible on his shield and against his OoS options. I've played Shugo, Kel, and M2K enough to know that.
And I play against Illmatic almost on a daily basis, what's your point?

How would I benefit from people playing like that? >.>

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
And I don't understand why the lower level MKs don't bother to learn more matchups in depth instead of relying on outdated information for anything mid tier and below while playing on autopilot. That won't get you very far nowadays with the best players of a handful of characters breaking down the matchup and closing the gap enough to make MKs focus harder than before.

We're not being stubborn, we just find it hard to believe that you would suggest a tactic that makes us end up eating a shuttle loop/nair OoS at close range, and fair OoS if we retreat; something I've learned to abandon a while ago. Basically...if we're in the air at close range or anywhere within his sh fair reach while MK is in his shield, we're already doing it wrong. Grounded play and baiting shuttle loops/nados are key.

Perhaps you just need to learn to correctly punish what Illmatic is doing to you if you see your current suggestions as valid.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Dair is never a good option to approach Metaknight with because if he knows it is coming he can shuttle loop when we are about to start it up.

But he can't OoS shuttle loop our dair. He can however nair out of his shield if we do not input a falling nair in time.

Also:

But it's slow and I shuttleloop on reaction when I see the start up. You should focus and baiting shuttleloops.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Don't worry about Nair OoS; just SHUair early and you'll either hit with with Uair or he'll hit you and you can SDI his Dair so that you can Dair him. Also, Peach will get hit by Up-B OoS after Dair unless she falls into MK, in which case you can just wait it out for a hard punish (assuming that she's Nairing) or you can Nair OoS. Here is an idea; Usmash OoS covers all of Peach's options after a Dair except for moving away, which would be telegraphed enough that you can Up-B her on reaction instead. Either way, Peach doesn't have a way to force you into a position for kill moves unless you Up-B or over-commit yourself. Don't underestimate Fsmash's spacing ability or Fair's range and Peach will have difficulty killing you. Peach's Usmash is extremely obvious.

Id use dair if I knew my enemy didn't know how to punish correctly.
:awesome:

That birthday up b
I actually heard it in his voice.

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
I have two quick questions:

1. What is the probability of dtilt tripping?
2. What is the best move or way to momentum cancel vertically.

Top Bottom