• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I never even seen a video of guilty gear. never even heard of it until like 3 months ago.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
^ That wasn't what Gimpyfish was saying. He doesn't think the rules are bad whatsoever.

He's saying that players need to think more for themself, and not be afraid to have their own tournies either.

Of course, what people forget is that it's harder to be sponsored if you don't accept something that the majority of the community accepts. But that just means you gotta TRY HARDER. Easiest message ever. I just wish he didn't get banned.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The message I got from it was "Think of 'standardised' rulesets as suggestions, not requirements."

Gonna host a small round robin at my college with 2 stock, 12 minute and Dave's Stupid Rule except with characters in play.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Of course, what people forget is that it's harder to be sponsored if you don't accept something that the majority of the community accepts.
That's part of what Gimpyfish was addressing. In the Melee community, the Backroom Ruleset is treated as a recommendation. While being the majority ruleset, it is not there to suggest a tournament does not count for having a couple variations. This idea of getting sponsored, whatever that means in this context, must just be a Brawl only community thing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's part of what Gimpyfish was addressing. In the Melee community, the Backroom Ruleset is treated as a recommendation. While being the majority ruleset, it is not there to suggest a tournament does not count for having a couple variations. This idea of getting sponsored, whatever that means in this context, must just be a Brawl only community thing.
It means that the Brawl Community, particularly the Administration, prefers a unified ruleset. Hence the point of the URC here.

If more people agree on one set, it's easier to appeal to them.

I won't call them a tyranny. And I think stickies should be easier to go out, but AlphaZealot pointed out that there was more than one criteria to being stickied. But yeah.

Technically, the tournaments count, they're just not as well known. I think as long they have an official topic, they should count, personally.

Thino

Smash Master
Well, take a chance to compare MetaKnight to Kung Lao(MK9), Sagat (SF4 Vanilla), twins/Feilong( SF4 AE), Dark Phoenix( MvC3) and Yun/Chun(3s). While the others compared to him are beatable, it pretty much tells the FGC this," Hey, why play some character with limited options when you can play a character with everything." I mean besides Metaknight winning all the nationals and everything. He did slow down the Metagame of Brawl, if everyone only feels that playing Metaknight is the only way to go home a happy man or woman. I mean, if you're winning with MetaKnight of any other top tier. Why push the game forward?

In the end, I'm happy this ******* is gone. It's going to become MK9 minus the blood and gore. Every character in that game can own you. And Brawl will turn into that game in a way.( *cough* Ganon*cough*).
I'm pretty indifferent toward MK Ban but I do agree with the fact that there's no need to push the game forward , when a character is top tier, s/he's top tier and that is all there is to it.

I don't even bother comparing with other communities because I believe every community is different therefore handle situations that may look the same differently.

in the end the future is that there is gonna be MK legal tournaments and tournaments going by URC ruleset , that is all there is to it.

RedyBz

Smash Cadet
eh..it seems there's still hope for this community but it took way too much time. Better late than never i guess...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well before this thread gets anymore crazier I might as well finally post here.

MK is banned. I don't think much can be done about it so I don' think complaining helps at all.

I think after 3 years of Brawl spectuation, this ban is somewhat validated and I think we'll get over it soon. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if something were to happen that would change public opinion on MK that would un-ban him.

Over all I just don't really care. This is where it comes in handy to have secondary characters to main.

Cook

Smash Master
Why do people keep acting like MK being banned will make Peach way better? Peach gets beaten pretty easily by Falco and Snake, and Snake at least is probably gonna be PRETTY popular now. I assume Falco will, too.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Why do people keep acting like MK being banned will make Peach way better? Peach gets beaten pretty easily by Falco and Snake, and Snake at least is probably gonna be PRETTY popular now. I assume Falco will, too.
Go Peach / Toon Link

trust me

it'll be hilarious

M@v

Subarashii!
Falcos 3 bad mus are going to be more prevalent now. If anything there will be less birds around.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
@ M@v
3 bad MUs?
ICs, Pika...who else?

And I don't think MK being banned will result in more Pikachus. He does fine against MK and is still a very hard character to master. If anything there will be fewer Pikachus because of more Marth and Lucario.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Actually, with MK banned, Snake becomes worse of a character. MK was a shield for Snake from some of his most stupid matchups. DDD is a good example.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
Well congrats anyways on scaring away the top players the ones that provided us with good shows on livestreams while reaffirming your casual community.

LKratos

Smash Cadet
cook said:
Because peach does well against diddy, ****s on wario, does well against IC's and olimar, and has other even matchups.

Peach's worst matchups were MK and snake, and MK will be gone, and snake will be less prominent because HIS bad MU's will be more popular.

When you sit down and analyze the situation, it's not just the fact that otherwise good characters that MK used to **** on can now be viable. Those newly viable characters weaken other higher tiered characters because of their bad matchups that were just overshadowed by MK. And since those characters become weaker, characters they have bad MU's against them become stronger. Which weakens other characters. It's a cycle of advancement of EVERYONE'S metagame, and really demonstrates why this change is healthy for the game.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I'm also going to note that surgically changing the metagame != advancing the metagame.

If I decided to ban jumping except for offstage, I'm sure it would change the metagame a great deal; but to say that the metagame progressed because of this change is fallacious. The metagame slowly progresses. With a huge change, it changes drastically. herp derp

I picked him so I didn't have to practice anymore.

I bet you lose to good players who do practice. It's not realistic to win even with MK without practice.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Because peach does well against diddy, ****s on wario, does well against IC's and olimar, and has other even matchups.

Peach's worst matchups were MK and snake, and MK will be gone, and snake will be less prominent because HIS bad MU's will be more popular.

When you sit down and analyze the situation, it's not just the fact that otherwise good characters that MK used to **** on can now be viable. Those newly viable characters weaken other higher tiered characters because of their bad matchups that were just overshadowed by MK. And since those characters become weaker, characters they have bad MU's against them become stronger. Which weakens other characters. It's a cycle of advancement of EVERYONE'S metagame, and really demonstrates why this change is healthy for the game.
You're spouting theory.

As I said before, people can't be one hundred percent sure that this is going to happen. It's kind of funny that people have this idea that the metagame is going to go in x direction because MK is banned. For all we know, a character like Ike could have some serious technology that he could employ against characters now with the "overcentralizing" MK gone and out of the picture. He could be bottom of high tier or something like that with a combination of tourney results and etc.

Just give it a year and see if this is really the case.

Smooth Criminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom