• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Match-Up Chart (NTSC) [Update 008 - 09.09.28]

unknown522

Some guy
Yeah Beeble takes music here. He came to 2 smash fests but then we never saw him again. lemon is still here though. He's sleeping over at Idea's place. Lemon says your name is Tyler. lol.

You guys may laugh at me

but Falcon doesn't have a 95-5 advantage to Kirby

more like 70-30 or 65-35

Kirby has shiek-like tilts (in stopping a good number of falcon's aerials), decent gimps, can duck falcon's grabs like a *****

of course its still largely falcon's favor but 95-5 is ridiculous (same for a good chunk of this chart)
Edit: Where the hell is kirby getting 30 / 35 points from? He can't do jack **** to falcon. Unlike jigglypuff, he can actually get combo'd hard by falcon. His recovery sucks ***. He has no speed or air mobility. He has priority on like 2 moves, but one means you have to be in the air and the other makes you a sitting duck. Kirby can only edgeguard falcon, but if he can't get him off the stage, then what does it matter?

Edit 2: I didn't laugh at you, but I was confused as hell.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lmfao I love you strong bad. Your posts made me LOL pretty hard.
is that a good thing
or a bad thing
<3 victra

and zelda vs. sheik should be even, 'cos zelda has this really badass down-b move that makes her go ssj4.

(still working on that dk match-up write-up)

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Yeah Beeble takes music here. He came to 2 smash fests but then we never saw him again. lemon is still here though. He's sleeping over at Idea's place. Lemon says your name is Tyler. lol.
Yup. :) You guys should play Beeble more, his Jigglypuff has godlike DI.

and zelda vs. sheik should be even, 'cos zelda has this really badass down-b move that makes her go ssj4.
lol true

unknown522

Some guy
^ His jiggs is not bad. Usually 2-3 stock for me. His ganon is lol though, all 4 stock.

Those were a while ago though. He said that he was mostly focusing on school, so he hasn't come out to stuff much.

Edit: his DI is good sometimes, but randomly he has bad moments: He died from europhoria's F-throw -> tipper from 0 on yoshi's twice that day. We kept laughing about it during the day.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
^ His jiggs is not bad. Usually 2-3 stock for me. His ganon is lol though, all 4 stock.

Those were a while ago though. He said that he was mostly focusing on school, so he hasn't come out to stuff much.

Edit: his DI is good sometimes, but randomly he has bad moments: He died from europhoria's F-throw -> tipper from 0 on yoshi's twice that day. We kept laughing about it during the day.
Ganon...? Really? I never knew he played Ganon, maybe he picked him up while playing with you guys at Toronto or something? I've only seen him play Jiggs and Yoshi.

I've never seen his DI choke, but try vs'ing his Jiggs on Dream Land lol...he just won't die.

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
Unlike jigglypuff, he can actually get combo'd hard by falcon. .
r u telling me that falcon cant combo jiggs? grab to down throw works from 0% to 130% ish and it allways hits not matter wat d.i u just gotta no how to read them,
(ryan i swore u were at my house when i was trying this) but not like jiggs should live to 130% or higher anyways,

and at 0% u can knee > grab > down throw > knee >

(if they d.i down) grab > down throw > knee
(if they d.i up ) > up air > (if they have super messed d.i) knee? but dont think there enough stun on the up air
(if they d.i towards) >knee > knee ? (if ur man enough go for the triple knee, the jiggs needs super d.i tho)

then u can just camp for grabs and repeat the down throw knee, yes i no its the gayest thing to do and should never be done in friendlies cuz it boreding as **** and pisses off the other player,

but u do wat u gotta do to win right? in tourny i mean dont be a ****er and camp in friendlies

unknown522

Some guy
Ganon...? Really? I never knew he played Ganon, maybe he picked him up while playing with you guys at Toronto or something? I've only seen him play Jiggs and Yoshi.

I've never seen his DI choke, but try vs'ing his Jiggs on Dream Land lol...he just won't die.
True, he lives on dream land for a long *** time. Also, wow yoshi.

r u telling me that falcon cant combo jiggs? grab to down throw works from 0% to 130% ish and it allways hits not matter wat d.i u just gotta no how to read them,
(ryan i swore u were at my house when i was trying this) but not like jiggs should live to 130% or higher anyways,

(if they d.i up ) > up air > (if they have super messed d.i) knee? but dont think there enough stun on the up air
(if they d.i towards) >knee > knee ? (if ur man enough go for the triple knee, the jiggs needs super d.i tho)

then u can just camp for grabs and repeat the down throw knee, yes i no its the gayest thing to do and should never be done in friendlies cuz it boreding as **** and pisses off the other player,

but u do wat u gotta do to win right? in tourny i mean dont be a ****er and camp in friendlies
When I said can't be combo'd hard, I mean like can't do 3+ hits. Falcon can do Downthrow -> 2 u-airs, or a knee.

Play Jman or stfu. =) He rapppesss Falcos all day.
Jman doesn't camp falco much. He spams n-air -> shine and tries to gimp a lot.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I thought there was a time where kirby was thought to have a so-so m/u against sheik. This m/u chart shows 100-0 in sheiks favor. Am I misinformed or did sheiks find some way to just absolutely **** kirby?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i think it all started from some thread in the sheik or kirby boards about how kirby counters sheik. i've actually never seen any actual evidence to support it, but then again i never looked for it.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well I mean if some people believed that kirby could somehow counter sheik, I just don't see 100-0 for sheik possible. There actually a lot of match-ups on this chart that seem wack. Like y.link vs jiggs. Personally I think that match-up is very even or possibly a slight advantage for y.link.

unknown522

Some guy
Well I mean if some people believed that kirby could somehow counter sheik, I just don't see 100-0 for sheik possible. There actually a lot of match-ups on this chart that seem wack. Like y.link vs jiggs. Personally I think that match-up is very even or possibly a slight advantage for y.link.
Care to explain why?

For the kirby v sheik thing, they decided that being able to crouch under characters' grab was worth 40 points in a matchup. In reality, kirby can't do jack **** to sheik. His highest priority moves lose to sheik. She is much faster than him. He can't get through her camping. Edgeguarding is easy for both characters, but kirby won't have much of a chance getting sheik off the stage. He can swallow-cide her, but he's giving up his own stock to do so. Kirby is way too slow to keep up with sheik and doesn't have an anti-camp game. He also gets combo'd by sheik decently too. That matchup is definitely 8-2 at best, but probably 9-1. I guess we shouldn't have 10-0s in the chart.

also: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92025

Apparently roy does better vs kirby than ganon / DK / Sheik / Link / Luigi do.

The old chart is not bad, but it has a lot of randomly whack matchups in the high / mid tiers and the seem like they weren't researched at all. Not saying that ours is too much better, but we're working on it.

Aesir

Smash Master
He can swallow-cide her, but he's giving up his own stock to do so.
Unless I'm mistaken Sheiks hit box is bigger than Kirbys thus sheik will die before Kirby will, once sheik dies Kirby gets all of his jumps back and can make it safely back to the stage.

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
Where did I say he out camps them? ...
well you were responding to the post "Lololol. Whoever said Fox can outcamp Falco should go play Lambchops with this strategy and try it." which is kind of specificlly talking about how falcos can outcamp foxes...

that mightve been the reason why sveet said jman doesn't out camp falcos, he simply ***** them.

Also in the kirby convo, you have 3 frames (fairly good) to suicide cancel a sheik

Skler

Smash Master
But Kirby can crouch grabs! Sheik without CGs is so bottom tier.

Why hasn't Kirby vs Marth been changed to be in Kirby's favor? I already explained the matchup.

idea

Smash Master
i sincerely hope that perceptions of that matchup weren't changed by some blurry friendly which was considered old even before i started playing this game.

Pi

Smash Hero
I think phanna created his chart pretty much by gathering X amount of people around the same skill level and having them play matches of each character lol, 10 matches

otg

Smash Master
Yo guys, Kirby is uber ****ing broken. His priority is retardedly good, his aerials are retardedly good, that Fsmash is retardedly good, his freaking dair spike is easy as **** to land and of course it's retardedly good, and for the love of GOD he can steal people's B MOVES.

Retardedly good.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero

There's no reason NOT to camp in friendlies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there's always the possibility of people not wanting to play friendlies w/ you because you camp :p
i CG in friendlies but that's about it. it's what they get for fox ditto-ing me >_>

idea

Smash Master
camping in friendlies is generally irritating. i think most people distinguish between "serious" friendlies and "let's falcon ditto" friendlies. the latter involves approaching most of the time. not everyone sees the game this way but it seems like a lot of people do.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
people who complain about camping are just mad because they have to play counter camp.

which means they're just whinny little babies who need to play another game.

Zone

Smash Champion
I'd like to comment on Zelda vs Samus. I think Zelda has the upper hand in this particular match up. Considering one of Samus' safest if not only approach next to maybe f-tilt on zelda is jab. Samus' moves on zelda's shield are laggy enough to garantee a foot almost everytime. Powersheilding missles and swatting them are not that hard. One of the few matches where din's fire has some legit uses for edgeguarding. Samus much like Zelda have a really crappy grab so, Samus is somewhat on the same field as Zelda is when it comes to grabbing your opponent so shield pressure is one of samus more chosen choices. And doing things out of shield is what Zelda does best.

Now I don't think Zelda completely ***** Samus. But I don't believe it's that much in Samus' favor.

This is just my personal experience. I've wanted to MM so many different samus' but I always get turned down unless I offer my Marth or something.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Yo guys, Kirby is uber ****ing broken. His priority is retardedly good, his aerials are retardedly good, that Fsmash is retardedly good, his freaking dair spike is easy as **** to land and of course it's retardedly good, and for the love of GOD he can steal people's B MOVES.

Retardedly good.
I miss 64 Kirby :(

The only Pro Melee Kirby has over the original is that he can Kirbycide easier.

idea

Smash Master
people who complain about camping are just mad because they have to play counter camp.

which means they're just whinny little babies who need to play another game.
yeah, and counter camping is generally irritating. you seem to be agreeing with me, but being judgemental about it =P

it's not really..."friendly" if you're winning at all costs and such. but if personal improvement is both players' priority then yeah, camp away, if that's what you'd do in tournament.

I miss 64 Kirby :(

The only Pro Melee Kirby has over the original is that he can Kirbycide easier.
better taunt.

Top Bottom