• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Match Casting

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
That and the use of the word "****".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/us/09assault.html?_r=2

It's not a joke
**** has other definitions aside from forced sex. Though that article is extremely upsetting, it doesn't make the word any less appropriate when used in the context we're familiar with. It's not any less appropriate than using the words murdered or owned. Words are just words and it's in the context in which they are used that defines their appropriateness.

Zone

Smash Champion
**** has other definitions aside from forced sex. Though that article is extremely upsetting, it doesn't make the word any less appropriate when used in the context we're familiar with. It's not any less appropriate than using the words murdered or owned. Words are just words and it's in the context in which they are used that defines their appropriateness.
Sociology ftw

Derkis

Smash Cadet
Except using a word in a different context doesn't divest it of its other meanings. They're still part of the word, and its usage evokes all of its definitions. This is why metaphor is such a powerful tool.

Furthermore, the use of this word by the smash community is a direct reference to the act of nonconsensual sex, hence oft added color commentary such as "dry, no lube" and other references indicating severity.

So in what way does recontextualizing make this more appropriate? It's still making light of an event which is not funny, gravely serious, and intensely emotional for many people.

Edit: I think this line of argument is particularly laughable because there are hundreds of other words we could choose which don't have any sexually offensive connotation. Instead, in the interest of personal convenience we elect to defend our habits via tangential reasons that don't change the fact that using this word lightly will be hurtful to someone who has been ***** or is close to somebody who has been.

Last edited:

Signia

Smash Lord
What about all the other words we already use which do have offensive connotations? "owned" and "killed" have already been mentioned, not to mention all the violence that occurs in-game. All these things are gravely serious yet still acceptable, "*****" just happens to be an even stronger metaphor for being completely dominated in a match. Too strong for a weak person like you, apparently.

It's like saying some words are "bad words." Childish BS that comes from a completely subjective code of ethics. Your list of words one shouldn't say is simply longer than ours.

Edit: Troiolololol

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Too strong for a weak person like you, apparently.

It's like saying some words are "bad words." Childish BS that comes from a completely subjective code of ethics. Your list of words one shouldn't say is simply longer than ours.
Video gamers: the pillars of society.

ILM

Smash Journeyman
That guy says one thing about bad words, and then like five of you get together and gang **** him.

Thread Casting.

Madtsunami

Smash Cadet
casts could have markers edited in to direct attention to certain parts of the screen without having to pause and point it out like with that sourspotted bair in one of the examples

maybe something to think about when you want to bring attention to technical nuance and still keep more speaking time on overall strategy?

not especially useful now that i think about it but whatever

Mokumo

Smash Ace
I think the entire waste of what's must have been a page and a half of nonsense foolishness is enough reason to not include the word "****" is any of these casts. We're trying to be professional for once.

Live, in tournament commentary is a different story for this controversy. They are done live and in the heat of the moment and a lot of the commentators aren't exactly always talking to a direct audience as they are simply reacting to the game/hype. Although the argument still lies on the table.

Derkis

Smash Cadet
What about all the other words we already use which do have offensive connotations? "owned" and "killed" have already been mentioned, not to mention all the violence that occurs in-game. All these things are gravely serious yet still acceptable, "*****" just happens to be an even stronger metaphor for being completely dominated in a match. Too strong for a weak person like you, apparently.

First off, I don't know why you expect people to actually respond to your points when you pepper your argument unnecessarily with little jabs and insults. You're right, I'm weak because I think using this word lightly is inappropriate and immature, that makes complete sense.

Anyways, what about those words? I'm making an argument simply for the case of why you shouldn't use this word and you didn't actually respond to any of the points I made. You brought up an irrelevant side-discussion which I deliberately avoided because it's not pertinent to an argument of why you shouldn't use this word, specifically. Again, if you are going to call my "subjective code of ethics" childish, then at least respond with an argument which demonstrates why the reasons I gave are childish. You seem to be making a lot more subjective and undefended claims than I did.

As far as the words 'own' and 'kill' are concerned. I think 'own' is a silly term that I personally wouldn't use, but I don't think it has anything to do with slavery. It's origin is actually is actually a term hackers used to describe cracking a server's security and acquiring root privileges (which gives you full control over the system, hence 'owning' it). Nor is slavery an inherent part of the word 'own', whereas nonconsensual sex is the definition of the word under discussion. If someone said "owned him like he was a slave," then there you could easily make that case that was an inappropriate (and incredibly stupid) thing to say.

'Killing' is an accurate descriptor of what you are doing in this game (if you ignore the fact that the characters are actually figurines), so I don't see any harm in using that word. I'm fairly certain the same isn't true for the other words under discussion.

Last edited:

Stev

Smash Ace
I actually agree with Derkis in the sense that if you want to broaden the community, you shouldn't go around using things that could possibly offend someone. I have no problem with the way its used here (I use it all the time), but I know a lot of people who do. If you're trying to draw others in, then stop thinking about yourself and think about them.

Pi

Smash Hero
derkis won the 'debate' (if you can call it that any way, it was pretty stupid thing to argue in favor of using the word)

we could eventually trivialize that word, as many others have been, but for now it's not something that you say in most social situations comfortably, and for good reason.

but yea this thread is not the place for it, in fact i'm pretty sure there was a thread dedicated to that exact topic of discussion

Acryte

Smash Ace
I vote Wife to cast every match.
wife always has some of the best commentary as far as mixing hype, informative aspects of the players and their histories, background, tourney infos, matchup infos, and breakdowns of play. He does an amazing job, he should definitely get at the match casting

Brookman

Smash Hero
I am fairly certain that we refer to SD's as SD's any way. So, I don't see your point.

^____^

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Next cast I'm going to be sure to say ****, suicide, and any other word people find subjective.

grow a pair SWF. Most of the community are adults now.

Bones0

Smash Legend
You're forgetting that not all of the members of smashboards are men some are female, and not all of the men have had their testicles descend, please refrain from saying such a rude phrase again. Thanks.
Grow a pair of breasts, you woman! :awesome:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
You're forgetting that not all of the members of smashboards are men some are female, and not all of the men have had their testicles descend, please refrain from saying such a rude phrase again. Thanks.
I don't care if there are girls on the site, I'm not treating them any different than men, and I say grow a pair regardless.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I'm not the one who's balls haven't dropped. Point invalidated.
Impressive and highly mature use of logic. Absolutely flawless in scope; you really are the spitting image of maturity and adulthood. Yes, indeed. Certainly, you are a peerless image of maturity and a definitive model of our community.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Next cast I'm going to be sure to say ****, suicide, and any other word people find subjective.

grow a pair SWF. Most of the community are adults now.
With that type of attitude you are obviously not one of them.

:/
I'm 21. Sup?
. . .Yes, because you're age is some how relavent to the point I'm making.
I'm not the one who's balls haven't dropped. Point invalidated.
Impressive and highly mature use of logic. Absolutely flawless in scope; you really are the spitting image of maturity and adulthood. Yes, indeed. Certainly, you are a peerless image of maturity and a definitive model of our community.
I don't care if there are girls on the site, I'm not treating them any different than men, and I say grow a pair regardless.
try harder

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
I've been waiting for match casting to happen for our smash games. I enjoy it very much and I'm sure it will help newer players understand and respect the game more. Wife and Husband has been doing this when they commentate and its very nice. I'm very much looking forward to this.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
ruby nice falco
but the match casting's purpose is to make our community seem professional and is also intended to inform anybody who's curious. sadly, our little game doesn't have balls and using words that would make it seem that we all have balls is just creepy. our game caters to young people, and young people's attention is probably what we're gonna get. yeah we're all adults, but so what. this match casting is not intended for us, it'll only represent us and our accomplishments with this game. I have no problem if you cast a match to inform us of something cool that we may not all have catched, but I wouldn't like it to represent us if you say that shiz was pushing m2k's **** in up until the end when m2k sucked his **** with the last two gimps /AZ talk

but yeah, let's get on with the match casting.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i vote lucien or taj
i dont think you'll find a bigger lucien fanboy than me outside of norcal

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Or maybe have a casting team that incorporates commentary types?
For example, my roommate and I are great hype/funny "commentators". I scream and get excited at every game and he just comes up with the weirdest things.
Meanwhile Dark Sonic can provide very informative commentary, like how I counterpicked Poke'mon because I like using the side platforms(Marth main) without having to worry about getting caught/interrupted by a top platform.

Top Bottom