• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Gecko Codes + Guide and Discussion

NNID
dansalvato
Finished the shield stun code, check the original post. Your character will now turn white during shield stun, for the entire time you are in stun. This includes both the initial hitlag and the subsequent stun. I originally had it flash only on stun, but I found this misleading as you cannot act out of hitlag either, so you now remain white for every frame you cannot input during shield.

Note: I was originally going to have the shield turn white during shield stun, but this doesn't work as the shield disappears sometimes during shield stun. Also, I haven't 100% figured out how shield colors work yet, but I plan to explore this in the future. Expect a future code for universal shield color modification. (This doesn't already exist, does it?)

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Turn White During Shieldstun .dol Melee 1.0

0x1700
7F03C378 81C30070
2C0E00B5 40820034
3DC0C200 91C30518
91C3051C 91C30520
91C30524 39E00000
91E30528 91E3052C
91E30530 91E30534
39E00091 99E30564
8001007C 48066F74

0x68294 - 8001007C -> 4BF9904C

NNID
dansalvato
Did it using some simple hex editing a couple years ago but I've since lost the files and documentation.
Was it a .dol edit or a file edit? The shield texture itself is a gray color, so I imagine the colors are given by the .dol.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
do you know where the formula for shield stun is? is it in pl.co, or is it main.dol? or neither?

NNID
dansalvato
do you know where the formula for shield stun is? is it in pl.co, or is it main.dol? or neither?
Most likely in main.dol, though I can't say where. Try breaking when the "shield stun" action state value (B5) gets written to a character's action state address.

Would it be possible to allow C-stick smashes and aerials in 1P mode?
A code for this already exists. I don't have a link but some searching will likely suffice.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
I'm gonna ask here since the workshop boards doesn't seem to get much traffic (?) how do you guys have your dolphin configured to get the most out of melee oh and what computer specs do you reccomend for smooth play? I'm really sorry but i can't seem to find anything online that remotely helps oh and all i have is a laptop so........

unknown522

Some guy
I'm not sure if this has been asked already but is it possible to change how the CPU recovers back to the stage? Cuz you know how Luigi recovers with side-b instead of up-b, I was wondering if it were possible to make fox/falco use theirs to recover at least sometimes to practice timing and setting up positions against it.

:phone:

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this has been asked already but is it possible to change how the CPU recovers back to the stage? Cuz you know how Luigi recovers with side-b instead of up-b, I was wondering if it were possible to make fox/falco use theirs to recover at least sometimes to practice timing and setting up positions against it.

(Correct me if I'm wrong) It is possible, but no one knows how to modify CPUs yet.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Make CPUs di away+mix up tech/non tech options.

Edit: and make them buffer shine or spot dodge on wake up.

Kadano

Magical Express
Some of the codes in the OP do not work. I am using them with a qoobed Gamecube and a 1.2 Melee. I only test one code at a time.
16:9 works very nicely.
Flash on L-cancel works, but it produces a little (about 20x2 pixels) artifact on the middle of the screen. If used together with the shield stun code, the game won't start.
Turn white on shieldstun crashes the game when it should proc. It also causes a screen artifact, though a bit more to the right.

I haven't tested more yet, but I will soon.

Edit:
Taunt canceling crashes the game on taunt.
Auto-L-cancel works perfect.
Both D-pad-codes work like they should, but damage reset also causes screen artifacts.
Rolling causes death works perfect.

Color breakdown (green = perfect; yellow = working, but problems; red = not working at all)

Rolling results in immediate death
D-pad Down resets all damage
D-Pad Left/Right toggles Fixed Camera
Aerials are automatically L-cancelled
Flash on successful L-cancel
Turn white during shield stun
BONUS: 16:9 Widescreen Support
BONUS: Enable Taunt Cancelling

NNID
dansalvato
I'm just curious why anyone would want a code that causes rolling to cause death.
Some players have a bad habit of rolling too much, so it's good training.

Some of the codes in the OP do not work. I am using them with a qoobed Gamecube and a 1.2 Melee. I only test one code at a time.
Flash on L-cancel works, but it produces a little (about 20x2 pixels) artifact on the middle of the screen. If used together with the shield stun code, the game won't start.
Turn white on shieldstun crashes the game when it should proc. It also causes a screen artifact, though a bit more to the right.

I haven't tested more yet, but I will soon.

Edit:
Taunt canceling crashes the game on taunt.
Auto-L-cancel works perfect.
Both D-pad-codes work like they should, but damage reset also causes screen artifacts.
Rolling causes death works perfect.

Color breakdown (green = perfect; yellow = working, but problems; red = not working at all)

Rolling results in immediate death
D-pad Down resets all damage
D-Pad Left/Right toggles Fixed Camera
Aerials are automatically L-cancelled
Flash on successful L-cancel
Turn white during shield stun
BONUS: 16:9 Widescreen Support
BONUS: Enable Taunt Cancelling
Thanks for this feedback. The issues you described are ones which I haven't heard of from anyone else, so that puzzles me. Do you think there might be some sort of incompatibility with Qoob?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I would try them out, but my Cube seems to think it's hilarious that it will play Melee, but not my AR disc (and the disc is flawless...).

Kadano

Magical Express
Thanks for this feedback. The issues you described are ones which I haven't heard of from anyone else, so that puzzles me. Do you think there might be some sort of incompatibility with Qoob?
I think it's unlikely, but possible. I also have an AR max, so I will try them on it too. I'll write back soon.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Is there any way to make the CPU playback an action you recorded in Training Mode? Kind of like SF4's record feature.

I kind of doubt it but a lot of stuff in this thread becomes obsoleted or possible through that generic change (as long as they have a 2nd controller). It's an amazing learning tool for timings & such - learning to PS actual SHLs become way more practicable. You'd also be able to simulate basic pressure strings and practice getting out of the various basic windows. Learning CG escape timings also becomes more doable. And so forth. Generally neat tool.

Again, I doubt this is doable (especially since CPU behaviour seems to be the thing we know the least about) but I thought I'd ask. Maybe there's a way to bypass it by modifying the behaviour codes for various training mode settings? Like, Jump, Evade, Attack, etc. Just thoughts... I'm sure you've had them too.

Another question... is there any way to make the CPU DI actual attacks more consistently? There are some behaviours I know about but they're mostly related to throw & offstage stuff (and settings like "Evade"). And even then they don't seem completely consistent across characters - feels like a lot of moves or situations have specific responses built in for those specific moves or situations.

I'm mostly asking the DI thing for combo practice, but I'm not too invested in this idea... if you have a short answer for this then that's perfect. The record > playback input is what I'm really curious about.

Kadano

Magical Express
Flash on successful L-cancel (v1.02) [InternetExplorer]:
AY31-WAKC-KMYEB
NXYK-600R-GX7BD
G7H0-DQ5Y-65KMA
R8RT-FUE5-FDGED
YXA8-R2CG-7HPP0
2W0K-5947-MQR54
7M48-JYJ1-6JJE1
RATD-GXAN-M1XYU
UC9H-K739-H1YMX
WQ46-W0AE-MTFJW
39RG-1XKU-J2BZ1
8A7U-KBVZ-3EM7J
W5GU-T9MK-H9U6J
DAGA-1TQW-345ZB
R7UP-0QWB-E9KUY
FEAW-VTDG-DTEHY
5TMR-FUJE-KK6W9
K44U-C2W1-HE0X5
ABXJ-B241-X8VRV
PJ93-CF8Y-TW76Z
G32M-E1XB-RURC3
XZDU-FQMT-46TWN

Encrypted with GCNcrypt 1.5. Result: Code is for a different game (I tried to enter it under "Super Smash Bros. Melee v1.2")

16:9 Widescreen Support (v1.02) [InternetExplorer]:
KFUC-WBM1-U0WZH
34D3-YTRB-Q46Q2

Encrypted with GCNcrypt 1.5. Result: Code is for a different game (I tried to enter it under "Super Smash Bros. Melee v1.2")

Tipping these codes in manually is tedious, and as even these two aren't accepted, I won't try the others. If I could get the USB function to work, I'd happily continue testing, so if someone here figured out how to get the AR max card show up in the "Gamecube Max Drive Pro" application (v1.1), please tell me!

NNID
dansalvato
Is there any way to make the CPU playback an action you recorded in Training Mode? Kind of like SF4's record feature.
I know how to go about doing this, but it would require a lot of time which I currently can't really invest. I do want to do it eventually, though. However, it's a little bit more limited than you think since Melee is an organic fighting game so you can't really simulate something like chain grabbing with recorded inputs.

I haven't learned enough about CPU AI to make any changes to it, but again, it's something I hope to do eventually.

NNID
dansalvato
In case anyones wondering, heres a video showing the l cancel flash and the shield stun flash. Sorry about the desync

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5xNKGg_1CU&feature=youtu.be

E:

KKs idea is the best one in this thread
Thanks for making this! I might make my own video, just for the sake of having it on my channel along with my other codes. But it might take a while for me to be not lazy enough. =P

Hey guys, how do you feel about a code that lets you save and load all character positions and damage on demand? I think that would be much more useful than the percent reset code. It would be like save states.

leffen

Smash Champion
^and stale moves, please.

My requests would be to have a "record" and "replay" code (like in marvel/sfiv's training modes), and to have some of these codes be ported over to a melee iso so you can play it on wii's (Magus did this before with the "Cstick in 1 player mode, Debug mode =Tournament mode" codes).

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
I get the artifact too. I'm using dios mios 2.2. The only two codes I run are the flash on l-cancel and widescreen. Besides the artifact, sometimes the whole game will freeze in versus mode. I haven't tested to see which codes causes this though.

NNID
dansalvato
Does that happen when you use the codes in Dolphin?
It does not. Dolphin is the only means of testing I have, sadly. But the odd thing is that the codes also work fine when standardtoaster ports them directly to the dol. I wonder what causes issues on these other devices.

Alotsa

Smash Cadet
Love the death when you roll, But how about just a disable roll all together option?

Also on the roll=death could you reconfigure it so it only is applied to P1 for practice v PC's ?

NNID
dansalvato
Hey, is there any demand for a code that saves/loads game states? Instead of just resetting percents you'd be able to save a state at any given position and load at the press of a button.

Top Bottom