• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
then **** brinstar!!!

i think it'll be fun to keep em all (every single other tournament in past 5 years for example is always the same, this will be different/fun). But stages like RC, corneria, Brinstar, jungle japes, etc. are all on the same type of tier imo.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yeah, the stagelist is godlike right now haha. Very much looking forward to watching this

<unable to attend club>

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
PROJECT M RULES

• Buffer OFF

Why have this rule in place? I'm sure a lot of brawl players might like having some buffering to make it feel more natural to them.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
My character dies at 60 on Corneria. :(

Nevertheless, I like the stagelist. It'll be refreshing to see so many old, sorta-jank-but-still-fun stages come back.

Fox players should NOT be complaining. I can't even think of 3 stages he sucks on. :p

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
PROJECT M RULES

• Buffer OFF

Why have this rule in place? I'm sure a lot of brawl players might like having some buffering to make it feel more natural to them.
Universal Buffering decreases the importance of timing. It has a few drawbacks, but in general, technical ability is allowed to be sloppy, unrefined, yet still have the same outcome. Brawl players are encouraged to use Buffer in friendlies and slowly lower it to 0 to become accustomed to the change, but Buffer will not be allowed in tournament. It's only even an option because of WiFi, and the aforementioned acclimation.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Universal Buffering removes the aspect of having to time things. It has a few drawbacks, but in general, technical ability is allowed to be sloppy, unrefined, yet still have the same outcome. Brawl players are encouraged to use Buffer in friendlies and slowly lower it to 0 to become accustomed to the change, but Buffer will not be allowed in tournament.
And L-canceling is a pointless technical barrier that adds no depth to the game.

Really? Inputting a move within 10 frames of the move coming out still requires timing, you are just pressing the button earlier. Unless it gives some unforeseeable advantage I don't understand limiting a preference.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm not going to argue the ruleset with you; it isn't going to change and I've already explained why. It isn't a preference like Tap Jump, it literally allows you to do things easier. Try putting buffer to 10 in Demo 2 and spam multishines with Falco. Requires absolutely no timing.
I'm also not here to argue mechanic philosophy as it's not relevant to this tournament, or even this discussion.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I just realized DK64 is only available in Teams -_- Oh well. I'll just have to work out some MK2 and Mute City strats.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
PROJECT M RULES

• Buffer OFF

If we were still interested in catering to Brawl players we wouldn't have made Project:M in the first place.

No offense, but Brawl's mechanical additions (like buffering) are a large part of the reason we felt Project:M needed to exist.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
If we were still interested in catering to Brawl players we wouldn't have made Project:M in the first place.

No offense, but Brawl's mechanical additions (like buffering) are a large part of the reason we felt Project:M needed to exist.
While I understand (and personally agree with) what you mean, that seems like a silly attitude. Plenty of Brawl players have taken an interest to the game that I've seen, biting your thumb at them seems counter-intuitive.

It isn't a preference like Tap Jump, it literally allows you to do things easier. Try putting buffer to 10 in Demo 2 and spam multishines with Falco. Requires absolutely no timing.
This, however, makes perfect sense. Thanks for the response!

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
If anything, I would think the MBR stagelist would've made Fox more appealing. Adding Japes/Brinstar/Mute/MK2, to me, seems like about the biggest Fox stage nerf one could possibly add in this game.

Good to see the feedback, all. I ran this by a good number of people with a variety of views and all seemed to at least be willing to, at minimum, give it a pass. And obviously, it's nice that some people have excitement as well. I hope it's a good blend of old-school and new-school. I would've been willing to add 4-6 more stages, depending on my mood, but as usual, we've always used compromise rulesets for FC.

In case you're curious, next on my list would have been Corneria, Green Greens, KJ. I love the first two as stages, but I think 11 is already stretching the logistical barrier. For the uniqueness KJ adds, it sure comes with some mildly compromising issues.

Project M buffer, to me, makes sense at zero also because that's the "Melee player's" B slot, and when in doubt, we'll lean Melee-style rules for this tournament. I personally have never been a huge fan of buffer in games.

Hoping to get registration up ASAP! Have a couple things to try today...

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
although all these stages are cool.. melees so defensive nowadays.

THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS

cant wait for peaches on FD/mutecity/brinstar :(

oh wait... i play fox. cornearia/pokemon alllllllll day :denzel:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Seeing these stages on makes me actually want to practice Melee. If Melee hadn't gone the "ban everything not flat/plat" route I would have been more inclined to keep playing! This is kind of exciting even though there isn't nearly enough time to make it back into Melee o_o

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
although all these stages are cool.. melees so defensive nowadays.

THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS

cant wait for peaches on FD/mutecity/brinstar :(

oh wait... i play fox. cornearia/pokemon alllllllll day :denzel:
You can outright ban three stages so if those are the three you're most worried about against Peach, you won't be playing on them.

People don't seem to be noticing that Corneria is on for teams only.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
this tournament is so american. pack as much into one day as you can just because you think you can. i'll pass

KishSquared

Smash Master
lol @ random American prejudice. All I see is:

"Typical Americans, wanting to have the MOST awesome time ever."

Agreed, my friend. Agreed.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
"Japes/Brinstar/Mute/MK2, to me, seems like about the biggest Fox stage nerf one could possibly add in this game."

Japes and MK2 are amazing Fox stages. (High ceiling doesn't change much on a stage that can be so dominated by Fox mobility/pressure into terrible situations.) Mute is a pretty good fox stage vs several characters, and Brinstar probably isn't but at the same time it has big advantages against some characters (ICs for example.)

Honestly this stagelist is nearly unplayable for the ICs and although nobody really cares about that, it is sad to see a decent character just crossed off the list of playability.

EDIT: I guess it will be the return of the wobble here at FC.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Honestly this stagelist is nearly unplayable for the ICs and although nobody really cares about that, it is sad to see a decent character just crossed off the list of playability.
This was a discussion that the midwest had like 6 years ago lol. I lost to Mathos at a tournament where similiar rules were in place, I remember being really pissed off. Lost on mute with numerous nana sd's, dominated him on battlefield, then lost on the boat with more nana sd's. **** was goofy lol....

In this day and age tho, ill prob just go ganon to minimize my rage factor and just play for the lulz.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Mk banned :(. Definitely won't be entering brawl now lol.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Peef, yes the tier list changes based on the ruleset. Fox is clearly the best character if these are the rules. I think peach jumps into the top 3 with these rules. Puff and marth move down and falco and sheik stay about as good. I'm not really sure about falcon; he basically has two modes: **** or be ***** and I don't see that really changing. Obv ICs get a bit worse, though corneria, japes and mute city aren't bad for them. I don't even want to think about how screwed the other characters are though

:phone:

Edit I thought mk was only banned in melee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom