• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
We're planning on building one.

FC will hold the same promise it always has. Come and have fun playing Smash Brothers, or don't. No one complained about the integrity of the event when we gave prize money to 64, and Melee is still going to be the priority event.

Geez the emotional drama. After everything gets announced, let's see who wants to come then. Just wait till I announce a $350 entry fee and camelback rides 50 miles to the venue each day, then you'll REALLY want to come.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The Kishes command a certain amount of respect for the exemplary tournaments they have held in the past. And it is in keeping with that respect that I would like to politely, but publicly declare my preference for a Melee only tournament.

Just think of how beautiful it would be. How pure. It would make a statement. It would be a display of integrity.

There is a part of my brain that is logically reasoning why Brawl is necessary, there is. But when I picture being in South Bend, IN, and seeing that abomination on the screen . . . it disgusts me. Melee-FC is something very pure in my memory, and I don't want to taint it. I don't want to muddy it with one more tournament that wasn't as special.

And it *won't* be as special if there is Brawl. It won't be FC, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry, Kishes, for not offering my support. For breaking solidarity. But I just can't picture myself there. Without the church, with the addition of Brawl . . . it's not what I think of when I think of FC.
Though, in all honesty, I hate brawl and am not too fond of the community either, I don't really care whether or not it's there. I'm not going to the tournament for brawl, so I don't really concern myself with it. Sure, I agree that the integrity of melee should be preserved, and sure I agree that this tournament, of all possible tournaments, should be the one to affirm that integrity, but if the Kishes disagree with that sentiment, it'll be only a minor conceptual inconvenience, and certainly won't stop me from going. Ultimately, playing Melee is more important to me than preserving its integrity, if only slightly.

I'd urge that people get over their nostalgic sentiments and go to the damn tournament and have some damn fun with their smash friends. The brawl vs melee **** shouldn't supersede having a good time. You are literally letting brawl alone ruin your fun, which is silly. Part of the integrity of melee is being able to have fun with it despite the problems that brawl has created.
Besides, all this anti-brawl sentiment is gonna drive all the brawl players away anyway.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLGeM5OB8Ls

Click the link above for a brief video over what the previous FC was.

There will be juice. Juke juice.
+1 Juke!

Juke I have an FF6 ROM Hack you should play. :B

Sliq said:
Should I go to this?
Obviously. Of course, GUN PUNCH! crew battle wouldn't quite work as well because of the whole none of us playing melee thing. Hey, we've got a few months for that though right? XD

Ambix said:
Hey kish can you unban green greens for this event?
And somehow Overswarm keeps making it out of Melee pools

Fun fact: The stage "Kongo Falls" in Melee was finally eliminated as a possibility by anyone who was willing to give it a chance at FC: Diamond.

------------

I'm surprised at how much the melee players are salty. It's like they're racist, except with Brawl. Just complete close mindedness. It's actually put a damper on this event as I've been reading; I opened the thread thinking "I'm going to practice Melee, and enter 64, Melee, and Brawl" and got to the end thinking "I don't know if I want to go with those people". Just hateful, hateful stuff.

If you guys want Melee to live, you want Brawl to show up. Show them how cool Melee is. I know how fun it was, and I know how great it was to practice and finally reach those milestones. I played Brawl too, and I know it is in some cases even harder than Melee. You want to talk about mental fatigue? Play two 8 player rounds of pools in a Brawl tournament.

A lot of Brawl players are like me. They played melee, then they played Brawl. Others just played Brawl. If Brawl doesn't show up, you lose both groups, and that means losing an opportunity to show both players what Melee is about.

Think about it. I'm going to be Twenty seven years old three months after this event. Most of these names posting about the previous FC are from people that are older than me. Like it or not, your numbers are going to keep dropping off if you don't get new players and eventually you'll be more like Smash 64. The side event a select few care about, but don't really consider a "big deal". Hell, like Umbreon said... most of the accounts in this thread haven't been used in three years.

So instead of coming into the thread with the idea of "let's cut the attendance in this tournament in half by being jerkwads", come into it with a Kishes attitude of "let's everybody have fun". If you love Melee but hate Brawl, hide your hate of Brawl. Instead, show your love for Melee.

Host local "train for FC" melee tournaments and INVITE BRAWL PLAYERS. Have the people who are still good at Melee get Brawl players back up to speed.

Show people that Melee is good by showing that Melee is good. You know what everyone else sees when they see thirty year old men posting about how much a younger generation's game of choice sucks? They see old, washed up people playing an old washed up game. Melee becomes bad by association. Brawl players don't become interested in Melee simply because they're worried about dealing with the negativity Melee players always shown on the boards. It's ugly.

Don't be those guys.

Instead, show them stuff like my FC: Diamond video I posted up above, and show them how awesome everything would be.

Show them regional crews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wPybFSu0Lo&feature=related

Show them combo videos that got many of us really into Brawl in the first place:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOKyMf_sa7U

Show them how plain silly that bombsoldier combo video looks now compared to some of the amazing Falcos we've got now.

Melee doesn't have integrity. It's a game released in 2001. The community is what can have integrity, but only if you want it to.

So quit complaining about the possibility of Brawl at the tournament. It's all about Smash, not melee, not Brawl, not 64. Just Smash in general.

---

Kishes, I should be able to get these days off work. I don't nkow what my finances will look like (looking at a house o_O) but I'm willing to help however you guys need me to.

Also:

Joshu: I hereby challenge you to another blind money match. One of epic proportions: Best of 5, playing in Melee, Brawl, 64, Brawl, Melee.

What say you, King Joshu?

Also also, if Chillin shows up I owe him $5 for a Wifi Brawl money match on Shadow Moses Island, Dedede vs. ROB best 2/3 from 2008. He won on game 3.

KishPrime

BRoomer
DANG IT OS pay off Chillindude with PayPal or something what the heck.

What a jerkwad.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I told him I'd pay him in person, but then neither of us ever traveled.

Wife

Smash Lord
Come and have fun playing Smash Brothers, or don't.
lol I forgot the Kishes are old school. Which means they've got the 2005 mean streak, like Team Ben or DA or H2YL. Yeah, you're right Prime, it doesn't matter if Wife comes.

And you're also right, that Smashboards is no place for voicing your opinion or challenging someone. What was I thinking. I'll just keep my opinions to myself. Wouldn't want to create drama.

KishPrime

BRoomer
lol I forgot the Kishes are old school. Which means they've got the 2005 mean streak, like Team Ben or DA or H2YL. Yeah, you're right Prime, it doesn't matter if Wife comes.

And you're also right, that Smashboards is no place for voicing your opinion or challenging someone. What was I thinking. I'll just keep my opinions to myself. Wouldn't want to create drama.
Quite the opposite, actually. We were always idealistic enough to believe that the community was bigger than the spats and drama on the board, and felt like we had to run events that superceded all of that and gave people a chance to come and have fun.

I care about your opinions way more than most people, because we ran a freaking FC with you. I just don't agree that you have to rake people over the coals when they disagree with you about a game. I'm with you that Melee is as amazing of a game as you'll find, but most all of us would never have traveled if not for the people. The people who opened their basements, who played low-tier characters for the heck of it, and the people who spent hundreds of hours planning events for other people who would never see a dime for it.

We want you here, just like we want everyone in this community here, if they think that they'll enjoy themselves. And if you don't think we have the capability to make things fun for everyone, then that's fine. But we always have, and we always will.

There's your mean streak.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
*sigh*

Minutes into the thread, I'm already dissuaded into going and playing melee once again because of the melee players.

It's like reading SRK forums.

KishSquared

Smash Master
WAIT, I just found out that Bowser is like BOTTOM TIER in Brawl. This atrocity far outweighs anything else ever. Now we have no choice but to have Brawl.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
*sigh*

Minutes into the thread, I'm already dissuaded into going and playing melee once again because of the melee players.

It's like reading SRK forums.

I'm not gonna lie. The hate is similar but there seems to be much more passion and reasoning as to why they don't want the game rather than just "yo **** brawl" lol

Personally, I don't care either way. Many great tourneys have included both games and I have friends that play brawl and I support them when they play their games etc

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
can't wait to play against so many of the older generation in melee.

there's like no pre-brawl era guys in NC anymore (except like...l0zr and yeroc), so meeting more people from that era interests me.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Saw Mura post something Brawl vs. Melee related and thought I was about to ignite another drawn out debate attempting to get him to admit he was wrong on semantics. I was pleasantly surprised that I agreed with him. That's happening more and more often and I am reminded of my original thought that I liked the kind of person Mura was (stubborn as me) even though we were on opposite sides of an argument both times I first talked to him. We should actually play Gears sometime.

Overswarm, I don't think I've ever seen a post from you outside of Mafia that I've ever disagreed with. From Brawl and Melee's relationship, to stage discussion philosophy, to Debate Hall, to your FF6 Hack (which I really want to try again if you've made it farther which I assume you have). Your large post sums up pretty much everything that should be said to Melee players about Brawl and its community. As a player of both games, there are things I would say to the Brawl community as well, but that's pretty much all you could ever want to say to the Melee players and it's put in a form that is only challenging where Melee's community needs to be challenged and not in a contradictory way. I'm bookmarking that.

Wife, that was a terrible strawman you posted where you quoted Overswarm. Look at it without the preconceived notions that you're carrying into the argument because he's not just being a douchebag, he's trying to work toward a solution.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm not gonna lie. The hate is similar but there seems to be much more passion and reasoning as to why they don't want the game rather than just "yo **** brawl" lol
I don't know, it's still extremely sophomoric in my opinion. It's like a 7 year old kid getting a younger brother and just completely ****s on the kid in order to get his parent's attention. Sure, it makes sense... but it's still (again, imo) ********. When, like OS alluded to does the exact opposite of what a lot of current Melee players want (more players, more hype, longer longevity).

The older melee players that are around almost purely for nostalgia and for what a Kish ran tournament is apparently about, doesn't give half of a **** about that, I think. That's fine, since I guess this event is also catering to them in a way. But it seems very stupid to lose out on potential new growth because of old bias that isn't even going to really stick around in the first place.

It took me a long time to get into Melee's scene for reasons not dissimilar to what's going on in this thread. I'm still not really into it for various reasons (Ohio being a dead Melee state for the most part is one of them), but I want to be. On the flip side, sometimes I don't think it's worth it.

If a majority of people think that's okay, then hey, that's fine I get. Game's gonna die as "pure" as (some of) you guys think you want it to be as the lifeblood continues to trickle out because of bullheaded ideals.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Why do the old melee guys still have a huge stick up their *** about Brawl? The ONLY times Brawl and melee have not coincided together is when a super melee-biased person is running the tournament (Plank). Apex has run fine with both events. Melee got 300+, Brawl got 400. The tournament was still finished in three days including singles and doubles. There is never any reason to not run a side by side tournament unless you are purposely setting up Brawl to fail; which I refuse to believe the Kishes will do. The Kishes will do a great job, as they always have.
i didn't go to most of those events, so would you mind telling me how many setups and friendlies there were throughout the tournament?

i went to genesis and i wasnt impressed. -shrugs-

i don't think bigger is necessarily better. even at an 80-person tourny it's impossible to play everyone you want to play for as long as you want to play them. i don't care if adding brawl adds 50 people to melee entrants if it means i'm not going to be able to play as many friendlies.

brawl is slow as ****. melee-only with a billion setups with smashers spanning a decade for a 3-day tournament would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. melee+brawl is whatever tho. doesnt do anything for me.

i don't understand why everyone wants to try to cram in as much stuff as possible before the venue closes. i think the best tournaments are when you finish 2-5 hours ahead of schedule and the rest is chilling / smoking weed / planning dinner / money matches / friendlies / packing up early to get home before midnight. but everyone insists on shoving as many events as possible and that's a main reason why i just dont go to very many tournaments anymore

big sleep

չչչ
NC is taking all money matches from other states in dodgeball

also dance battles

[Edit= shoutouts to brawl... by far the ****tiest installment in the smash series and an abysmal excuse for a competitive fighter]

Overswarm

is laughing at you
*has a dodgeball champion T-shirt*

All I need is a canon and I can camp all day and give my team pop-ups.

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
Joshu: I hereby challenge you to another blind money match. One of epic proportions: Best of 5, playing in Melee, Brawl, 64, Brawl, Melee.

What say you, King Joshu?

Ummmm I don't think it's legal for me to decline that because it's just TOO AWESOME.

Also I don't like Brawl at all but I'm not about to start complaining about how this event is ruined because some people I don't know will be playing a game I don't care about somewhere nearby. Just saying.

Then again I don't care for Melee or 64 either. Maybe I should be yelling at everyone about how your choices of vidya games are different than mine and therefore will ruin my enjoyment of life?

Tink

Smash Hero
melee is awesome, brawl sucks =D....im def one of thoseee guys, but ive played both at a high level...i think ive earned my opinion on the 2.

also, i mean, kishes your putting up arguements about how we did this all before for 64 and ppl didnt mind, but thats incredibly false....for 64 we had what? 64 man bracekt with like, 4-6 setups(correct me if im wrong here, but it was very small).....thats nothing compared to the like, 20 setups your gonna need for brawl 0_o.

its def going to be alott diff then 64 was :/.

KishPrime

BRoomer
also, i mean, kishes your putting up arguements about how we did this all before for 64 and ppl didnt mind, but thats incredibly false....for 64 we had what? 64 man bracekt with like, 4-6 setups(correct me if im wrong here, but it was very small).....thats nothing compared to the like, 20 setups your gonna need for brawl 0_o.

its def going to be alott diff then 64 was :/.
Pretty sure that it was actually 12-14 setups.

Also pretty sure that we haven't announced a schedule or plan yet, but JUST IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING, yes, everyone is free to continue to criticize its inadequecy prior to that. That is the FC way.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If anyone can do it, it's the kishes. When everyone else was saying "CAN YOU GUYS BRING TVS?!" the Kishes said "We're getting RAC TVs!". Besides, we don't even have a schedule yet. You could have Melee one day and Brawl the next and then finish both on another day, with side events late at night.

@Ryker

FF6 hack is currently up to the Opera house; I started adding in unique weapons/armor and really changing up some stuff.

Tink

Smash Hero
12-14 0_0....i must have been blind when that was going on...i rem seeing a couple tables dedicated, but 12-14 sounds outragously big(and good).

KishPrime

BRoomer
12-14 0_0....i must have been blind when that was going on...i rem seeing a couple tables dedicated, but 12-14 sounds outragously big(and good).
We had that many 64s because I remember numbering them. :p

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
If anyone can do it, it's the kishes. When everyone else was saying "CAN YOU GUYS BRING TVS?!" the Kishes said "We're getting RAC TVs!". Besides, we don't even have a schedule yet. You could have Melee one day and Brawl the next and then finish both on another day, with side events late at night.

@Ryker

FF6 hack is currently up to the Opera house; I started adding in unique weapons/armor and really changing up some stuff.
I'll take it out of the thread.

KishSquared

Smash Master
I find it odd that most people are complaining about Brawl instead of the other stuff. I figured the outdoor venue and beef jerky meals would have drawn more complaints.

lol, Juushichi summed it up best with his sig pic.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I find it odd that most people are complaining about Brawl instead of the other stuff. I figured the outdoor venue and beef jerky meals would have drawn more complaints.
Shhhhh...I only told them about the camel rides so far.

lol, Juushichi summed it up best with his sig pic.
I'm sure that everyone in the thread can agree on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom