• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandX

Smash Ace
It's kinda funny...I'm actually fascinated by your community. Probably not enough to get me playing, but in a way that I want to get to know you all better...

If that's okay.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
People say I should play Melee, but I just don't like its cast of characters.

I tried Project M the other day and I would rather prefer that since I love Zero Suit Samus in that...
Well, why not look and see if there are any tourneys near you that are running Melee/P:M? Or try out some Melee and see if there are characters that play like ZSS in a manner to your liking?

Not to push it, rofl, just... I love this game too much not to try to get everyone I meet to give it a whirl. :D

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
People say I should play Melee, but I just don't like its cast of characters.

I tried Project M the other day and I would rather prefer that since I love Zero Suit Samus in that...
If you can't find anybody in Melee you like Project M's a pretty big thing too and any Melee player can pick it up and play just fine.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Okay what the hell is going on lol

I came to just make peace with you guys and now you are all trying to brainwash me...

YOU MONSTERS....

Nah I'm kidding.

idk, I just have my doubts about liking smash. It's just that, when I came into the fighting game community, I started with Tatsunoko vs Capcom. That's the formula I stuck with, not sure if i could get into the deepness of smash.

Darkurai

Smash Master
It's kinda funny...I'm actually fascinated by your community. Probably not enough to get me playing, but in a way that I want to get to know you all better...

If that's okay.
Smashboards isn't exclusively tournament players. The tournament community is based here, but plenty of non-pros hang around. Hell, I've never even been to a real tournament. The closest I've ever gotten is watching streams. But I love the game and the community, so I hang around (even if I'm mostly relegated to lurking nowadays).

You don't need to be the best to hang around here. We're pretty welcoming. Sure, there are some jerks in some places, but every community has those. For the most part, I'd say you'd be more than welcome to pop in every now and then.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman

I came to just make peace with you guys and now you are all trying to brainwash me...

YOU MONSTERS....

Nah I'm kidding.

idk, I just have my doubts about liking smash. It's just that, when I came into the fighting game community, I started with Tatsunoko vs Capcom. That's the formula I stuck with, not sure if i could get into the deepness of smash.
ROFLLLLLLLL at YOU MONSTERS that was great

We just love new people <3

Unrelated note: Anyone that hasn't given, give. :D Dropping fifty for breast cancer research + Melee at the same time was one of the most utterly rewarding things I've done in weeks, wish I was in a position to give more, might end up putting more in before this is all over

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
As promised, I put in my $200 matching donation at the end.

Really proud of what our community has been able to do tonight!
what happened with me was

I woke up at like 12:00 am EST

i was like **** im about to miss the podcast ! so i checked the donations and see that it was at 9756 and i was like damm so in my semi sleepy state i just looked at my bank account and said yea i can make it 10k so i donated 244$ i dont even play this game competitively anymore but i been playing since around 06 so its been a good long time :D

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
okay what the hell is going on lol

i came to just make peace with you guys and now you are all trying to brainwash me...

You monsters....

Nah i'm kidding.

Idk, i just have my doubts about liking smash. It's just that, when i came into the fighting game community, i started with tatsunoko vs capcom. That's the formula i stuck with, not sure if i could get into the deepness of smash.
ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF Us

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium

i was like **** im about to miss the podcast ! so i checked the donations and see that it was at 9756 and i was like damm so in my semi sleepy state i just looked at my bank account and said yea i can make it 10k so i donated 244$ i dont even play this game competitively anymore but i been playing since around 06 so its been a good long time :D
LOOOOOOOL good **** dood

yall are amazing

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman

YOU MONSTERS....

Nah I'm kidding.

Oh yeah, I remember TvC. Wi-Fi was unplayable and nobody would play with me once I figured out 70% combos.

Then I found out about the church of scientology. Pretty cool community. Have you heard of it?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
BrandX: Some of us just watch Smash, I played Brawl until I quit a year and a half ago and Melee for a total of 5 hours. I'm mainly a Team Fortress 2 person if anything. If you've heard of VGBootcamp, I'm in that crew and help with streaming, and that's the extent. I just stick around for general discussion, and developing for Smashboards. You're welcome to stick around.

That said, I wish I could continue updating the notice on the top of the page, but at the rate people are donating I'm getting tired. LOL

GOD DAMN MELEE PASSED $13K WTF

BrandX

Smash Ace
BrandX: Some of us just watch Smash, I played Brawl until I quit a year and a half ago and Melee for a total of 5 hours. I'm mainly a Team Fortress 2 person if anything. If you've heard of VGBootcamp, I'm in that crew and help with streaming, and that's the extent. I just stick around for general discussion, and developing for Smashboards. You're welcome to stick around.

That said, I wish I could continue updating the notice on the top of the page, but at the rate people are donating I'm getting tired. LOL

GOD DAMN MELEE PASSED $13K WTF
I see. Interesting. So I don't have to like smash to be around here?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I wanted to post some information here just in case anyone was wondering. Some people might be aware that charity scams have happened in the past, and that there is a need for an independent group to evaluate practices of charities to make sure donations are spent the way the donors intend.

I'm happy to report that according to charitynavigator.com, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation has their highest possible score for transparency and a very good score for financial responsibility:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=5001

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

If that's okay.

you're like an adorably akward schoolgirl lol.

no. there are plenty of people who no longer play smash on SWF that hang around to chit chat on the boards because they used to play smash and all the people they know and friends they made are still on SWF.

Nope! We even have a Skullgirls thread somewhere in the forums xD

yeah but it got lost with the forum being turned on its head during migration.

It was fairly active for a long time tho.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
interestingly enough theres a large portion of the site who dont really play smash and just sort of hang around. its just that they happened to come together by an initial interest of smash/coincidence...and are now just like, online buddies now. lol

that's how many forums work anyways ~_~ i still keep in touch with friends from my previous communities

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium

Nice! I think the main thing that made my day was seeing just how many other people are as passionate about this game and this community as I am, and you're a great example of that -- you can leave Melee, but Melee can't leave you.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Obviously you're on Smashboards and posting in the Melee boards so everyone here wants you to play Melee. XD

But, yeah, there are a fair share of non-competitive/non-smash-playing regulars on here that still like discussing/socializing on here, be it pool room, debating, arts, other video games, or their input on smash issues (pot splitting) etc. And yeah there is a Skullgirls thread, clowsui linked it because I'm too lazy.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I wanted to post some information here just in case anyone was wondering. Some people might be aware that charity scams have happened in the past, and that there is a need for an independent group to evaluate practices of charities to make sure donations are spent the way the donors intend.

I'm happy to report that according to charitynavigator.com, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation has their highest possible score for transparency and a very good score for financial responsibility:
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=5001
Thanks for that, Sheridan. That's good to know.

Smooth Criminal

Atlus8

Smash Master
Amazing work everyone! Remember, there are still two weeks for all the other communities to get together and respond! Not to mention the possible snipers that are waiting in the end!

Spyro

Smash Ace
There are plenty of people here who no longer play Smash. I love seeing new people here even though I have not been posting much lately.
Dude i so wish i could do that, do you know how baller I'd feel? ROFL
"Baller". That's a word I have not head in a while. This world needs more baller.

BrandX

Smash Ace
All the "emo" girls I dated were suicidal and into hardcore drugs.
Same for me except the drugs part.

I guess It is okay to be here then. It just feels strange how I'm being all buddy buddy with my communities competitor, but I guess that doesn't really matter.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
The way I see it, you have three choices:

Hang around here and play smash.
Hang around here and don't play smash.
Hang around here as a way to infiltrate the smash community, tricking us all into switching to Skullgirls.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Same for me except the drugs part.

I guess It is okay to be here then. It just feels strange how I'm being all buddy buddy with my communities competitor, but I guess that doesn't really matter.
Dude you're taking this way too seriously go get some ***** or something

God dmn

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom