• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but I hate Skullgirls on its premise and aesthetic alone.

I can never play some cheesy anime game or anime archetype based game ever unless it's entirely satirical. I would only play it if Dr Sub Zero was there telling me to play it.

Everybody please ignore this post.
I'm like the exact opposite. I need some sort of whacky-ness and cartoon-ish feel to a fighter. So stuff like Smash, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Marvel, etc. fit right up my alley. Or maybe it is the fact that the cast are so diverse in appearance. Tall, skinny, weak, strong, etc. I doubt I would ever get into street fighter which is primarily the same sort of aesthetic: People with muscles out of proportion to real life on a human.

Then again, it could be personality of a character too. Deadpool lol

Darkurai

Smash Master

I can never play some cheesy anime game or anime archetype based game ever unless it's entirely satirical. I would only play it if Dr Sub Zero was there telling me to play it.

I think Skullgirls would have been much more successful if it didn't alienate an entire demographic that is horribly disgusted by geeky fandoms like me. But then again MLP:FiM is like apparently really successful so I don't know lol.
Your ****ing avatar is Fire Emblem. I love that series but its style is about as anime as you can get.

And then you say you play Dragon Ball Z? You are such a hypocrite.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace

Says the guy with the Fire Emblem avatar. Just saying.

EDIT: Beaten. :(

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I remember when playing Video games in general was a "geeky fandom" in it's own right lol. I guess that's too old for you. =P
I remember when people played video games because they were fun. Thank god that's over and we can all get back to playing M rated Chest High Walls of War and Call of Battle Field Medal of Warfighting 12. Play pokemon.

Real talk though Black Ops 2 isnt bad, but i still feel like Halo has a higher skill floor.

Stargazer

Smash Rookie
I remember when people played video games because they were fun. Thank god that's over and we can all get back to playing M rated Chest High Walls of War and Call of Battle Field Medal of Warfighting 12. Play pokemon.

Real talk though Black Ops 2 isnt bad, but i still feel like Halo has a higher skill floor.
I miss that too. ;-;
I miss those days so damn much. =/

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
He's entitled to his opinion, guys. It's not like noirscythe told the guy to sit on it and rotate because he likes Skullgirls.

Smooth Criminal
He's entitled to it in the same way that we're entitled to our opinions of him being dumb for his opinion.

Also i donated $20. I wasn't initially going to cus I honestly have no real vested interest in EVO but i decided to because **** cancer.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman

I still play video games for fun a lot of the times, I play RPGs, sandbox, racing, FPS, and most of the time just for fun. And I agree Halo has the higher skill level required, but I play around more in Halo unless it's matchmaking.

kupo15

Smash Hero
This community is amazing. I was so elated to see the donation total count almost at 10,000. I wish the drive ended tomorrow lol Hopefully we keep the lead in the last 12ish days. This is so exciting! :)

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Your ****ing avatar is Fire Emblem. I love that series but its style is about as anime as you can get.

And then you say you play Dragon Ball Z? You are such a hypocrite.
Yeah, but there's a difference.

There's anime like Rurouni Kenshin, Fire Emblem: PoR, and DBZ.

Then there's cheesy, geeky, uninspired, archetype based anime like: Soul Eater, Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, Blazblue, etc.

Also for the record, I would hardly consider myself a fan of the FE series. My favorite game is FE9, and I like FE10 and FE4. The rest of the games kind of make me turn away though.

Just because I like Avenged Sevenfold doesn't mean that I like Bullet For My Valentine or Black Veil Brides.

BrandX

Smash Ace
it's not a matter of impressing people.

it's a matter of being friendly and creating a bond with people and forming a community. :V
I guess that is true, but like someone else said, I can't force people to like my game. Just because I play theirs, doesn't mean they'll play mine. You guys have it much easier cause Smash is more recognizable to everyone.

SkullGirls is less then a year old, nobody really knows anything about it. Most people complain about the artstyle and that it only has like 8 characters..

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Yeah, but there's a difference.

There's anime like Rurouni Kenshin, Fire Emblem: PoR, and DBZ.

Then there's cheesy, geeky, uninspired, archetype based anime like: Soul Eater, Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, Blazblue, etc.

Also for the record, I would hardly consider myself a fan of the FE series. My favorite game is FE9, and I like FE10 and FE4. The rest of the games kind of make me turn away though.

Just because I like Avenged Sevenfold doesn't mean that I like Bullet For My Valentine or Black Veil Brides.
>Dislikes anime for being cheesy, uninspired, geeky and archetype based
>Likes the extremely geeky, cheesy, uninspired and archetype based DBZ
>Avenged Sevenfold sucks

On topic: WHOOOOOOOO $10K

BrandX

Smash Ace
Jeeze, I went to go put gas in my car and now there is a whole thing about anime and **** in here. I missed so much.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I guess that is true, but like someone else said, I can't force people to like my game. Just because I play theirs, doesn't mean they'll play mine. You guys have it much easier cause Smash is more recognizable to everyone.

SkullGirls is less then a year old, nobody really knows anything about it. Most people complain about the artstyle and that it only has like 8 characters..
Okay. don't for anyone to play anything. just be friendly and play casually. as you can see, plenty of people here respect and/or like SGs, so it's not like they wouldn't play casually. the whole point is togetherness.

>Avenged Sevenfold sucks

Pink Reaper: 1
noir: 0

BrandX

Smash Ace
dude ask a favor get free housing try smash, get us to try SG. Meeting new people doesn't mean you have to be good at their game. Might be awkward but hey, just be chill.
I mean even if I were to try smash, melee literally has no characters I would want to play (except luigi, but not sure if he is good at all).

BrandX

Smash Ace
Okay. don't for anyone to play anything. just be friendly and play casually. as you can see, plenty of people here respect and/or like SGs, so it's not like they wouldn't play casually. the whole point is togetherness.
I guess that is true, harmony is all I want. I am personally sick of this whole donation drive. I understand it's for a good cause, but I feel that it's only made me depressed and **** because of the competitive aspect to be apart of the biggest fighting game tournament in the world.

I wish this would end already, I don't care who wins, I just want to end and be forgotten.

Besides, it's not like I really contributed anything. I am only the talk of the town because I whined and complained so much lol.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Guys, it's fine to try and spread melee, but if someone in uninterested dont try and force them. BrandX doesnt want to play melee, he doesnt have to. Let him support whatever he wants to support and play what he wants to play.

On a completely unrelated note: Play Melee

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I mean even if I were to try smash, melee literally has no characters I would want to play (except luigi, but not sure if he is good at all).
Ehh...he's good but mid tier. That's not the point, play games have fun and promote your own community.
^^^^ This.

Also, there are like 3 dedicated luigi mains that always make it far in bracket. Tiers matter, but only so much.

I guess that is true, harmony is all I want. I am personally sick of this whole donation drive. I understand it's for a good cause, but I feel that it's only made me depressed and **** because of the competitive aspect to be apart of the biggest fighting game tournament in the world.

I wish this would end already, I don't care who wins, I just want to end and be forgotten.

Besides, it's not like I really contributed anything. I am only the talk of the town because I whined and complained so much lol.
Bro. If harmony is what you want, than aim for togetherness lol.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
>Avenged Sevenfold sucks

>DBZ geeky
>everybody likes DBZ

>Cheesy
Probably

>Uninspired
Nope (not counting Buu saga). & Pioneer.

>Archetype based
Pioneer

Unless my knowledge of anime (which is not abundant) is wrong, then you got nothing on me. NOTHING.

Also it seems like your erroneously grouping A7x with the latter group. I'm confident I know more about the subject than you do. :v

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
A, Luigi is mid tier.

B, you really don't know that until you try it. I don't give two ****s about Marth as a character, I haven't even played whatever Fire Emblem game(s) Marth is in, but I main him in singles because he's fun as **** to play in Melee once you start getting the hang of things.

BrandX

Smash Ace
A, Luigi is mid tier.

B, you really don't know that until you try it. I don't give two ****s about Marth as a character, I haven't even played whatever Fire Emblem game(s) Marth is in, but I main him in singles because he's fun as **** to play in Melee once you start getting the hang of things.
Marth is like high tier right? I guess it's kinda like why I play Raiden in Playstation All Stars, I don't know anything about him and I barely played the metal gear games, but I love playing him cause he is fun.

Also please don't hurt me for saying that, I don't know how you guys feel about PSAS lol

BrandX

Smash Ace
Well congrats on getting to 12k guys. At this point, I don't really care who wins or loses anymore. As long as we can just live in harmony, that's all that matters. And if you guys backstab the skullgirls community, I will never talk to any of you ever again....

I'm kidding.

Also I feel there is nothing left I can do, I feel that i tried my best and that there is nothing else I could really provide to my community looking at the circumstances.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
BrandX, thanks for the support. The fact that you made an account is great.

I tried to make a Shoryuken account to talk in the Skullgirls thread but it won't let me register.

What I'd recommend doing is getting people who aren't necessarily into fighting games into Skullgirls. That's what I've done with smash, mostly. When I was in High School, I tried to get a lot of regular people to get into it, because if they come into the FGC with a certain game, it is likely to be their dedicated game. When you get people who play other fighters, they're already committed to their game.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Marth is like high tier right? I guess it's kinda like why I play Raiden in Playstation All Stars, I don't know anything about him and I barely played the metal gear games, but I love playing him cause he is fun.

Also please don't hurt me for saying that, I don't know how you guys feel about PSAS lol
Marth is high tier. And awesome. Lower tier characters can be fun as heck too though.

PSAS... PSAS... ehhhhhhhhhhhhh... XD Tried it a fair bit, don't really care for it, I feel like it suffers from not being sure whether it's trying to be Smash or a traditional fighter and I don't really like the super moves gimmick, makes it too easy for all your work to suddenly mean nothing if you whiff with it (or if you're playing a character whose level ones suck and they don't have good setups into them, lol). Don't think anyone's going to rally up and hate you for it though, lol. Try out Melee sometime my good sir/ma'am/person. You might be pleasantly surprised.

BrandX

Smash Ace
People say I should play Melee, but I just don't like its cast of characters.

I tried Project M the other day and I would rather prefer that since I love Zero Suit Samus in that...

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
As promised, I put in my $200 matching donation at the end.

Really proud of what our community has been able to do tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom