• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Business

Smash Journeyman
The day MLP has a legit fighting game as a top 8 game in evo is the day I stop going on the internet forever.

BrandX

Smash Ace
It's alright I forgive you and I understand why you behaved the way you did. And don't worry, you put up a pretty good fight with the donation drive, but don't ever give up making your game big. I know sg isn't big now and rather pretty small, but introduce more and more people to sg if you can just don't give up, and maybe someday your game will be as big as ours. Not getting to EVO will not kill you guys, I guarantee it and there's plenty of ways that you can make it bigger.
But the thing is, I just don't know HOW to get other people to play SkullGirls. What can I do? I don't know how to set up tournaments, how will I know if SkullGirls even lasts long enough for people to finally take notice.

That's all I'm scared about.

zmx

Smash Lord
WTF is wrong with people in this community. The first week it only raises around 1500 dollars. By the 2nd week it has doubled to almost match that of MLP in the first week. Then in the span of one day it is about to destroy that by about 3x the initial MLP investment.

What the hell happened all of a sudden.

The reason for the spike despite the slow start is because there are no longer transparency issues. Initially there was no way of knowing how much was being donated or if a company just wouldn't drop 100K last minute.

With those issues out of the way people are much more willing to donate now. That+the 3 for 1 deal is the reason for the massive increase in donations.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Bronies lol

:phone:
Even though Fighting is Magic will likely receive the same fanbase and attention as games like Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, Touhou fighters, (any other fighters based characters that originated in manga), I wish it wouldn't have to go down the path of only having exhibitions at anime conventions.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I know that, I really didn't want this to go this far. I just don't know why I get so shattered so easily lol. I mean, is there no way to make up for what I did? Does the smash community hate me even after all the things I said about how much I respect you guys?
I think I'd forgive you if you donated to Melee. :alakadoof:

BrandX

Smash Ace
And the answer is Prog, scar, and crimson blur.

@bandx .....stop being weird. Serously. This is not over by any means. Right now a positive attitude is what's best for skullgirls.

That's what I've been trying to do. Even though people say it's not over, in my eyes, it kinda does. You guys made about 8000+ in ONE night. That's something the SkullGirls community can't even achieve.

Spyro

Smash Ace
@BrandX: Hey man, don't sweat it, your obviously passionate about SG as we are about Melee. I really don't want this to cause tension between our 2 communities, and I think it would be awesome if we could get SG at Genesis 3. I love how passionate you are about your game, and all I can say is, keep supporting your game and being passionate about it.

BrandX

Smash Ace
@BrandX: Hey man, don't sweat it, your obviously passionate about SG as we are about Melee. I really don't want this to cause tension between our 2 communities, and I think it would be awesome if we could get SG at Genesis 3. I love how passionate you are about your game, and all I can say is, keep supporting your game and being passionate about it.
Thank you, I'm very glad to hear that, but even if it did make it to genesis 3, I wouldn't even be able to attend.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
But the thing is, I just don't know HOW to get other people to play SkullGirls. What can I do? I don't know how to set up tournaments, how will I know if SkullGirls even lasts long enough for people to finally take notice.

That's all I'm scared about.
you gotta come up with a plan with your fellow players with a positive mindset to grow your community. that's how things get big! you can't just rely on one-time chances to do these things, it's a slow process.

growing a community is confusing and frustrating at first. but once you get the ball rolling it's hella cool. considering your game isn't even a year old, it's natural that your community isn't that big yet. give it more time and dedication and you guys can have something real going.

Stargazer

Smash Rookie
Even though Fighting is Magic will likely receive the same fanbase and attention as games like Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, Touhou fighters, (any other fighters based characters that originated in manga), I wish it wouldn't have to go down the path of only having exhibitions at anime conventions.
If EqD does another topic on the matter it could get another push for FiM. It only really slowed down because they opped out for good reason and intention. Other wise it'd be heading to 50k probably lol.

Was hoping they'd keep the 1000 pot though to spark more interest in the game at EVO. Maybe next year we'll content for slot on main stage. I'm sure they'll have at least the base build ready for it. ( They probably won't have any of the characters past the mane six though )

BrandX

Smash Ace
you gotta come up with a plan with your fellow players with a positive mindset to grow your community. that's how things get big! you can't just rely on one-time chances to do these things, it's a slow process.

growing a community is confusing and frustrating at first. but once you get the ball rolling it's hella cool. considering your game isn't even a year old, it's natural that your community isn't that big yet. give it more time and dedication and you guys can have something real going.
I just don't know anyone in Las Vegas that plays SkullGirls...I've only played like 1 or 2 people and they don't even play SkullGirls that much...

Darkurai

Smash Master
Hello everyone, you probably already know who I am so I don't need to go ahead and introduce myself.

I feel that instead of trying to talk to you guys on a different forum far away, that talking in the same forum would make a few things easier.

So I feel that people are getting the wrong impression of me, and that's something that I really kinda don't like to be honest. I know I have been making a complete ******* of myself, and I'm sorry.

I am really happy that your community is so powerful enough to make such a donation, I just felt that because of that, I was helpless and useless to my own community.
Bro I've been watching that thread all day, and I give you a lot of respect for what you're doing. I love Melee and my life has been changed a great deal because of it, so I unfortunately must give all of my support to it, but there's no malice towards Skullgirls here. I can promise you that.

We don't want your game to fail. We just want ours to succeed just as much as you want yours to.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
You live in Vegas right? We have a smash scene, I don't see why you couldnt car pool with some of those fine gentleman. And I bet Tony plays skullgirls at least a little bit.

BrandX

Smash Ace
You live in Vegas right? We have a smash scene, I don't see why you could car pool with some of those fine gentleman.

But I don't play smash dude, and who is tony? I don't know anyone in the smash community.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
That's probably what Mane6 was going for anyways, it's tough to get people who aren't bronies to play a game about MLP. Arcana Heart has a similar problem.

With the amount of exposure FiM is getting right now though I could see a few fighting game tournaments featuring FiM granted people show some serious attendance outside of MLP/Anime/whatevertheheckyouguysdo conventions.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Brandx, you seem like a pretty cool guy. Sure, you're a bit emotional about this, but I'm pretty sure we've all had phases like that in our live. More importantly, the reason you're emotional is because you care about your game. That's pretty awesome.

Also, I don't think there's anything you need to make up for. But if you really want to do something, you should join the Vegas Smash community. With a bit of work, you could get them to start playing Skullgirls too. It'd be a win/win for both communities.

Short truth to realize is that you cannot force people to enjoy something. Its something they have to do themselves. Its something you see with Smash all the time. There are many, many more people who are willing to play the game, but would never commit the time or effort to really improve enough to continually put down money and time for tournaments.

The only thing that can be done is provide those who want to play and potential people with the opportunity to join in on a community. Other than providing opportunities, that is about all you really can do other than to make other people's experiences enjoyable.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I just don't know anyone in Las Vegas that plays SkullGirls...I've only played like 1 or 2 people and they don't even play SkullGirls that much...
that means you have to take the initiative to introduce the game to others if you wanted a local scene. ie if you brought the game around to other 2d fighter tourneys (obv ask TO's if that's fine first) you can def get a few people interested. i know pm gained a lot of their steam this way by having devs bringing it everywhere for playtesting. growing the online community also helps for general exposure and is equally important. etc. just some ideas to get things started.

gotta look up man :)

BrandX

Smash Ace
Brandx, you seem like a pretty cool guy. Sure, you're a bit emotional about this, but I'm pretty sure we've all had phases like that in our live. More importantly, the reason you're emotional is because you care about your game. That's pretty awesome.

Also, I don't think there's anything you need to make up for. But if you really want to do something, you should join the Vegas Smash community. With a bit of work, you could get them to start playing Skullgirls too. It'd be a win/win for both communities.
As much as that is a fine gesture, I could never get into smash dude. I used to play it many years ago, not competitively, and it's something I doubt I could ever get competitive at, it's just not my kind of game..

Thank you for your kind words though..

Vkrm

Smash Lord
The thing is most people just throw money at anything pony related. I guess it's good to have such support but the sad fact is most people aren't donating cause they like the game.

BrandX

Smash Ace
that means you have to take the initiative to introduce the game to others if you wanted a local scene. ie if you brought the game around to other 2d fighter tourneys (obv ask TO's if that's fine first) you can def get a few people interested. i know pm gained a lot of their steam this way by having devs bringing it everywhere for playtesting. growing the online community also helps for general exposure and is equally important. etc. just some ideas to get things started.

gotta look up man :)
I did bring SkullGirls to my local arcade one time...but nobody wanted to play with me. Everyone was too busy playing Street Fighter 4, UMVC3 and Tekken (And surprisingly Naruto Clash of Ninja.) I wasn't sure how to get peoples attention. Only the following people i listed above were the ones that came over and wanted to play, but that's it.

I didn't know how to get people interested in playing. They just paid me no mind.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Why not play sets with people on those other games and ask them beforehand if they'll play a SG set with you in return?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If you're trying to get others to play.. Don't be alone.. Have a partner and you two just play each other and eventually other people might want to try the game out after watching it in action.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Yo how about we have some TOs from the smash community and SG community set up an event at Genesis or some ****.

It would just be fun for all I would think.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Why not play sets with people on those other games and ask them beforehand if they'll play a SG set with you in return?
Because SkullGirls is the only game i'm decent at, I suck at every other game lol. That probably would not impress them at all.

BrandX

Smash Ace
If you're trying to get others to play.. Don't be alone.. Have a partner and you two just play each other and eventually other people might want to try the game out after watching it in action.
My only partner that I had\ doesn't play SkullGirls anymore...he moved onto Marvel 3 :/

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I did bring SkullGirls to my local arcade one time...but nobody wanted to play with me. Everyone was too busy playing Street Fighter 4, UMVC3 and Tekken (And surprisingly Naruto Clash of Ninja.) I wasn't sure how to get peoples attention. Only the following people i listed above were the ones that came over and wanted to play, but that's it.

I didn't know how to get people interested in playing. They just paid me no mind.
Hey, I posted on SRK and said I have your back. I still have your back.

Your devotion is unmatched, and like I've said, a lot of people should find it admirable. Any community can continue without major backing, we're a prime example.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Dude, you don't have to be a rockstar at those games! I've gotten plenty of people's feet wet with smash by challenging them to UMvC or SF, and I'm terribad at "traditional" 2D fighters. Just try it?

Sucks about your partner, though :/

BrandX

Smash Ace
Dude, you don't have to be a rockstar at those games! I've gotten plenty of people's feet wet with smash by challenging them to UMvC or SF, and I'm terribad at "traditional" 2D fighters. Just try it?

Sucks about your partner, though :/
What is really sad though is that one of the people I did fight was a top 6 from the SkullGirls side tournament at Evo2012. He basically told me that I should play other fighters besides SkullGirls, even though I have no desire to pick up anything else.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
God, this is absolutely amazing. Props to each and every single one of you.

Going past this: everyone else is looking at this like we just spent everything too early. We need to keep this nuttiness constant, and make sure nobody even comes close. Saying what I said before, what if we had a donation drive with big players? Highest donations can determine exhibition matches.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Because SkullGirls is the only game i'm decent at, I suck at every other game lol. That probably would not impress them at all.

it's not a matter of impressing people.

it's a matter of being friendly and creating a bond with people and forming a community. :V

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, but I hate Skullgirls on its premise and aesthetic alone.

I can never play some cheesy anime game or anime archetype based game ever unless it's entirely satirical. I would only play it if Dr Sub Zero was there telling me to play it.

I think Skullgirls would have been much more successful if it didn't alienate an entire demographic that is horribly disgusted by geeky fandoms like me. But then again MLP:FiM is like apparently really successful so I don't know lol.

BrandX, even if you suck at other games, it doesn't mean that you can't gradually get better at them.

You probably feel about SkullGirls the way I feel about Budokai 3. I don't know anyone that can play that game at my level, and it's pretty sad because I love what I know about that game. You have my empathy. butihateskullgirls

Everybody please ignore this post.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Yeah, but does that mean its going to get any advertisements or showcased on any of the official streams? At EVO 2012, Fighting is Magic didn't have much support at all. Being a brony, and wanting to see this game get all the support it can get. I'd obviously prefer the situation where it and Melee both get the main stage treatment
Dude, the entire FGC knows about it because of the fund alone and have started posting/watching videos. The bronies didn't know about it but they do now because of the fund. Wizard promised extra set ups just for it at the showcase so people can try it.

The reason it's not on stream is because it's unfinished. Winning gets it a streamed exhibition, melee winning gets a 1000$ pot bonus. Plus MLP has to catch up first :troll:

3 for 1 deal is the reason for the massive increase in donations.
We broke their 3 for 1 deal in 5 minutes :troll:

But I don't play smash dude, and who is tony? I don't know anyone in the smash community.
dude ask a favor get free housing try smash, get us to try SG. Meeting new people doesn't mean you have to be good at their game. Might be awkward but hey, just be chill.

Stargazer

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry, but I hate Skullgirls on its premise and aesthetic alone.

I can never play some cheesy anime game or anime archetype based game ever unless it's entirely satirical. I would only play it if Dr Sub Zero was there telling me to play it.

I think Skullgirls would have been much more successful if it didn't alienate an entire demographic that is horribly disgusted by geeky fandoms like me. But then again MLP:FiM is like apparently really successful so I don't know lol.

BrandX, even if you suck at other games, it doesn't mean that you can't gradually get better at them.

You probably feel about SkullGirls the way I feel about Budokai 3. I don't know anyone that can play that game at my level, and it's pretty sad because I love what I know about that game. You have my empathy. butihateskullgirls

Everybody please ignore this post.
I remember when playing Video games in general was a "geeky fandom" in it's own right lol. I guess that's too old for you. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom