• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespymachine

Smash Ace

Prog started a thread asking for members of the Melee community to post videos/pics of yourself, your tag, and how much you donated (if you want) and he's going to compile all of it into a video. Check out the thread: I Donated

SRK article announcing 8th game by donation

A bunch of games are up for the 8th, and final, game of EVO 2k13, and Melee is one of them!
The game with the most donation money by the end of January gets to be at Evo. Let's defeat Breast Cancer!

Here's the 'final' standings:
1. Melee: $94,672.81
2. Skullgirls: $78,760.97
3. Super Turbo: $39,567.56
4. MLP: $5,280.19
5. DoA5: $1,900.69
6. GGXX: $1,225.00

Check out what some have said:

Good job smashers! Way to support eliminating Breast Cancer!

http://twitter.com/MrWizardSRK/status/288900090066776065

Why will YOU donate to Evo's breast cancer drive today?
Ello.

Melee at Evo is no joke. As you all know, Melee is a few dollars away from being the next game featured at Evo2013. This is a really important move for our community! There are so many possibilities that could come if we just donate a little more.

What I wanna know is simple. Why do you want to donate your hard earned money to the Evo2013 breast cancer drive?

Personally, I want to see our top players get sponsors.
I wanna see prize pots over 10k.

I wanna see Mango vs Armada at Evo2013, with all of the pride and money on the line through thick and thin. Mainly, I wanna see something like this:

Call me ambitious, but I don't see a reason why anyone wouldn't want any of this for our community.

So again I ask: why do you want to donate to Evo's breast cancer drive?

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...ers-choice-for-evo.174416/page-3#post-7884274

Since everyone is acting ignorant as ****...

The Official Melee @ Evo 2013 FAQ

Q: Where do I donate?

A: RIGHT HERE. All money goes towards breast cancer research. It's a good cause!

Q: Mr. Wizard/Evo does not support Smash

A: Incorrect. This idea seems to have stemmed from Brawl's awful showing at Evo 2008.

Newsflash: Brawl is not Melee. I think, as a community, we've spent more than enough time trying to convince people of that.

The truth is, Melee was at Evo in 2007, and it was a tremendously successful event. Smash's first year at the event, it drew the second most players out of any event, 2nd only to MVC2.

Respected FGC member and commentator James Chen had this to say about Melee's showing at Evo 2007:

Just yesterday on UltraChen TV, a twitch.tv program about the FGC, James Chen and Ultra David (the other main commentator in the FGC), went over the picks for the Evo lineup. When they reached the Player's Choice game, it was unanimous: Melee was the favorite, and the two fully support the game being at Evo.

You can watch the video here @ 43:35

As I mentioned before, this negative stigma seems to have stemmed from Brawl's performance at Evo 2008. After Melee's great showing, Smash was basically a staple for the next year. Of course, they were going to go with the newest game in the series at the time of the event, and that was Brawl. 100% of the time, the community moves on to the new game every time.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Brawl is ***. Also, because of it's age, the Evo staff felt there was no concrete ruleset, and decided to implement their own. Which brings me to our next question...

Q: Even if Melee gets on the Evo roster, they're just gonna apply their own crappy ruleset with items on and every match needs to be played on Brinstar Depths and Fox is banned!

A: Nope. As I mentioned, Melee, being a 6 year old game at the time of it's appearance at Evo 2007, had a concrete ruleset established by the community at the time, and it was embraced by Evo. If you don't believe me, here it is from the man himself:

We will get our ruleset. Mr. Wizard and the Evo staff aren't out to get us. Please drop this mentality.

Q: The FGC are a bunch of bullies and they all hate us! I don't want to support a tournament with people that will throw tomatoes at our players!

A: This is as ignorant and uninformed as the trolls on the Internet who claim the Smash community is a bunch of 6 year olds. Internet trolls are everywhere. I have been to many Smash tournaments, many fighting game tournaments, and many where both were held in the same room. The bottom line is this line of thinking is bull****. The real FGC (i.e not shoryuken forum posters, not youtube commenters, and sure as hell not stream monsters), does not give two ****s about what games you play. They aren't going to ****ing bully you for playing Smash Bros.

In fact, Melee has a pretty legitimate amount of credibility around the FGC. Top players such as Chris G, Masta CJ, Noel Brown, Falcomist, Forward, Alucard and many more come from a Melee background.

So lets PLEASE drop this line of thinking, because it makes you look ignorant. Don't get trolled, the FGC won't bite.

Q: Will the community have to bring our own setups/CRTs?

It looks like they have donated all their Wiis and CRTs to charity. However, this information was given by Mr. Wizard before the announcement of the Player's Choice game. Assuming Melee wins, there's a chance Evo will try to hook us up. If not... we've survived since MLG without major corporations supporting us with setups. Smash veterans have incredibly defined lats due to carrying CRTs around to tournaments. It's science. This should not be a problem, don't let it discourage you.

Pending questions:

Q: Will Melee be on the main stream during it's top 8?
(I've sent a tweet to Mr. Wizard, still waiting on a response. In the past, all finals have been run on the main stream. Wizard has stated that due to time constraints and the sheer amount of games they are running this year, some finals will be run on Saturday. We can still expect 50,000+ viewers. Not too shabby.)

Q: Will the community have to bring our own setups/CRTs? (I have to imagine Evo still has Wiis and CRTs somewhere, we'll have to wait and see)

Q: Will a member of the community be running the event? (VERY important. I can't imagine they'll run this tournament without consulting a respected TO, they have 8 games on the roster, they're gonna need all the help they could get)

Q: Will Sony/Nether Realm/crazy MLP community rig the donations, making it impossible for Melee to win? (Hard to say. If they do, **** 'em, they can have it. Enjoy 10 people entering your events you shady ****s)

If anyone has any other questions, shoot. I'll try my best to answer. LOTS of misinformation running amok right now.

Well that's was a long read...
I've been keeping up with this thread and the other one for a couple of days now, and after reading every post I thought it was a good time to reply.

I'm a member of SRK. I lurked for 2 years before finally joining in 2003. I also joined this site a year later because I was learning Melee, but I only got to a below-average level (barely 2 reps of shine inf :( ) and started focusing on other games, so I can't consider myself part of this community.

Some of the comments I've read in this site have made me rethink about the relationship between our communities, and the many ways on which the relationship between us could have been better. Before I address many of the concerns you've brought up, I'd like to first talk a little bit about the history of our community, more specifically how the first years weren't actually that bad at all. I remember back in the 2004-2007 period, Meele was called "Marvel JR." by a lot of people, and we know that SRK loves that Marvel, so that is a big title.

We all know what happened the year when Brawl was at EVO, so I'm not going to comment on that, however, it's important to note that after that year, we could say that each community went its own way. A lot of people think the relationship was bitter, but the truth is that the problem at EVO was a very simple misunderstanding that was solved very easily (Wizard's tweet).

The real reason behind the hostility between our communities is because of misconceptions and nothing more. I can only speak for the SRK side, and I can tell you that we had a lot of misconceptions about your community, but it's still worth mentioning that the personalities of both communities were very different.

The reason behind the misconceptions (at least on our side) lies on that old pointless discussion "Is it a fighting game or not". I'm not here to start that conversation, but let me point something out. Absolutely nobody on our side takes this discussion seriously.....
The reason why many of us (myself included, just recently actually) got into this discussion many many times is because of the fun we had from the reactions of those who went all the way to SRK to discuss that.

These people are the root of our misconceptions. A lot of us thought that these people represented the whole smash community. This is of course a mistake, however, we saw them as easy targets who were easily flame-baited, and we enjoyed the hilarious responses we got from them. I personally have a collection of quotes from these people laying around somewhere. I really don't think anyone can blame us for finding them funny. Let me share one with you.

smash is the most innovative fighting game to date as it add to the genre things that have never been seen before.
heres a list of things that make smash stand out.

-Tier lists
Ok I don't remember the full list, but that alone had me laughing for sometime :laugh:

On the other hand, I have to admit that SRK at the time was unwelcoming to new members, but you have to remember that it was also a time where the majority of SRK came from the arcades where respect was mostly earned through winning games instead of posting an introduction thread. That's why the place seemed unwelcoming at first, but I can tell you this community changed my life in a positive way. The truth is that offline we've always been accessible and friendly, but I can understand the bad image you might have gotten based on our online image only. Most of us agree that this hardcore era of SRK is now gone, as we started a new one after 2009 with SF4, and yet another one last year with Esports.

Actually, it's not really gone, all of us who were part of the hardcore SRK are still there, the only difference is that we are a LOT now, so I can gladly say that we're now a minority in the community because we've grown so much.

Now, back on topic. I believe that this project is an amazing way for us to forget about the past and try to work together again. I'd like to first remind you all that this project is part of a big continuous effort done by our community leaders to improve the image of our community to the world. That is because we need it. You see, most of us acted carelessly on SRK on previous years because we were really an underground group. Nowadays, fighting games are really getting mainstream attention, not as much a LOL and FPS, but it's growing. Now we actually need to be careful about what the world thinks about us.

The community leaders realized this a long time ago, and since then we now have a lot of things we can use as reference when we we are targeted by yellow journalism. This year we are getting together to fight Cancer.

This brings me to my next point, and that is the transparency issues.
First, about hiding the donations.
Remember that the goal of this project is to donate as much as possible to charity, so I think you can understand how revealing the numbers would decrease that donation number significantly. Second, we have no way of knowing that these numbers will always remain hidden, but we can know for sure that if the EVO staff were to say that they would be revealed at a later date, then that would also decrease the amount of donations.
It really does make the most sense to keep them hidden if your goal is to donate as much as you can.

Now, about the other conspiracy theories going around. I'd like you to please reconsider who you're talking about. Yes, shady business practices are no strangers to the FGC, but that's why we have a list of venues and tournament promoters to avoid. The EVO founders are highly respected by the community, and have proven their love and passion for the community many many times. We trust them just as much as you trust your community leaders.

EVO staff understands they are requiring you to trust them, but I have no problems doing that, and I think so should you.

The last problem I want to address is regarding a big company coming in buying themselves in. This is a real possibility, but the truth is that it's really hard to police (Sony can simply ask John Doe to donate under his name), and it also goes against your goal if that is to donate as much as you can.

It seems I overextended myself, I apologize for that. I just want to encourage you all to support the game you love and donate. Even if you don't win, you're more than welcome to come and hold a side tourney. EVO is a great experience, I wish you could all feel it at least once.

Remember that among many things, yet another goal of this project is to unite communities, and it certainly has the potential to. Look at me and posting in a Smash forum. My 2008-self would have slapped me, but here I am anyway and I'm glad.

Thank you EVO.

Follow the SRK discussion: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...think-will-win-players-choice-for-evo.174416/

I realize this situation can seem a bit frustrating, but the best choices we can make will be through positive communication and action.

Great job helping Breast Cancer Research!

Acryte

Smash Ace
Do the pool thing I'll donate for sure. Also noone is going to donate 500k to MLP when they could have personally funded the development of multiple MLP games or something. Follow the money.

We should really try to get Mr. Wizard to at least show the totals of each game like they did with the last poll...

Landry

Smash Ace
I've read every post in this thread, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned this possibility:

1. A reliable member / organization within our community sets up a PayPal account.
2. We donate to that account instead of this (which, as others pointed out, is a gamble).
3. Before the deadline passes in 21 days, the aforementioned reliable member/organization/whatever makes an informed decision. If a corporation like Sony or grassroots competition (like the MLP: FiM community!) donated more than the resources we gathered, then we can either:
a) return the funds back to our generous smashers.
b) or pool our assets for our own upcoming event.​
4. If we somehow collected the most money, then we transfer our funds over to this charity drive, and we win.

There's just 1 problem. Someone else claimed the EVO staff are purposely hiding donation amounts for each game. I REALLY hope that's not true :glare:
Reposting this from the other thread. This is the best idea so far, imo.

zmx

Smash Lord
It's a good idea in theory, but the donations aren't made public so we have no way of knowing if we have enough monies
This. That's why this won't work. Then there's also the issue money going to a questionable charity that's already well off. It's a massive gamble either way.

Landry

Smash Ace
wow. everything is hidden? they're really trying to screw us on this one, huh...

clowsui

Smash Legend
so what we should do right now is pool our money into one paypal/chipin account and keep pressing EVO staff for visibility

that's a win-win scenario

if we DON'T get any answers then we just return the money to everyone

if we DO get an answer that's satisfactory then we put in the money

if we DO get an answer that's NOT satisfactory then we return the money

We only have 3 weeks

WHY ARE WE DAWDLING

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
so what we should do right now is pool our money into one paypal/chipin account and keep pressing EVO staff for visibility

that's a win-win scenario

if we DON'T get any answers then we just return the money to everyone

if we DO get an answer that's satisfactory then we put in the money

if we DO get an answer that's NOT satisfactory then we return the money

We only have 3 weeks

WHY ARE WE DAWDLING
this please thanks

Anth0ny

Smash Master

A: RIGHT HERE. All money goes towards breast cancer research. It's a good cause!

A: Incorrect. This idea seems to have stemmed from Brawl's awful showing at Evo 2008.

Newsflash: Brawl is not Melee. I think, as a community, we've spent more than enough time trying to convince people of that.

The truth is, Melee was at Evo in 2007, and it was a tremendously successful event. Smash's first year at the event, it drew the second most players out of any event, 2nd only to MVC2.

Respected FGC member and commentator James Chen had this to say about Melee's showing at Evo 2007:

James Chen said:
And Tekken definitely doesn't have to be bitter anymore. Although for a while they may have felt like the "outsiders" of Evo, that status has definitely been handed over to another game. Now, the most isolated community is the Super Smash Bros. Melee community. They have definitely taken the crown for the community that has every right to be bitter. Their game is never taken seriously by a large amount of Fighting Game players. Their game is always seen as "kiddie." Though they were a part of MLG, they were always relegated as a sideshow. Halo was the main event of MLG, and Smash was just a group of little kids, shunned by the Halo players and thrown into the back corner to play their tournament where they wouldn't disturb Halo. These players never seem to get any respect.

And yet, they are the furthest things from being bitter. I kept saying that the Guilty Gear community needs to learn to be professional and to take themselves seriously. Well, the Smash Bros. community is where they should look for an example. Just as with the Guilty Gear community, The Smash community has a game that some people frown upon. Both communities have players that have a bad stereotype associated with them (Guilty Gear players are often accused as being weird, anime-loving otakus and Smash players are always accused of being 6 year old Pokemon-loving kids or something). As a brand new community added to the Evolution line-up, the Smash Bros. players had every reason to come is very skeptical and behave very poorly.

But instead, they decided to prove why they deserve respect and why they deserve to remain at future Evolution tournaments. The players came out in droves, becoming instantly one of the largest tournaments at Evo in terms of number of contestants. The players showed up for the pools on time and were extremely cooperative with whoever was running the brackets. There wasn't even a big stink made over the decision to turn the pools and semis to best-of-1 game. The players were not happy with the decision, but they played through it. And no one seems to believe the results were "tainted" by that rule change. And on the Finals of Smash Bros., the community was there in full force, cheering their game on. It didn't seem like they were worried if non-Smash players were enjoying it because they were enjoying it too much themselves to care. But because their crowd added a lot of energy to the game, it ended up making it that much more fun for those unfamiliar with Smash to enjoy it as well.

And that's why I like this community so much. They know who they are and they know where they stand. And they are better off for it. There were two main things that surprised me about this community. First of all, they are all very competitive and skilled, but were extremely good natured and friendly to each other. There was a lot of respect among players. Someone joked to me how footage of Smash players involved more handshakes and hugs than any other game.

The other thing that really surprised me about Smash was how deep its history is. From talking to the top 8 players that qualified for the Finals, I was very pleased to discover just how much the community has gone through and grown. It was almost as if Evo had just walked into a movie that was already in progress. There were stories of Ken's early domination and subsequent early retirement... only to return to tournaments for this past Evo. There were stories of East Coast dominance being threatened by an emerging group of top-level West Coast Smash players. There were stories of wanting really badly to prove that certain perceived mid-tier characters could dominate. And there was a lot of stories regarding their history with MLG (both good and bad).

They already have their celebrities. And with them, they could have their upsets and grudges and hugely anticipated matches. They are already a fully established community and, frankly, even if Evo never picked them up or drops them next year, I can't imagine they would lose any momentum. And I took strong notice of that. This community has already built itself up and is already self-sustaining. It's a model Fighting Game community.

The Smash community should be used as a blue print for many of the other budding communities. Whether you are King of the Fighters fans, Melty Blood fans, Arcana Heart fans... hell, even Street Fighter Alpha 3 fans, the key to getting your game into the lime light is building up your community. Everyone likes to say that being included in Evo is what breathes life into games. While I do admit it helps a lot, I still believe that a game thrives solely on its community. It has very little to do with the inclusion into Evo. In fact, inclusion into Evo is usually the result of a strong community or a potential for a strong community.

So this is lesson for today: if you want to see your favorite game thrive, do your part. A game is nothing without its community of players. Just start that fire, and if you continue to support your community, the fire will continue to fuel itself.
Just yesterday on UltraChen TV, a twitch.tv program about the FGC, James Chen and Ultra David (the other main commentator in the FGC), went over the picks for the Evo lineup. When they reached the Player's Choice game, it was unanimous: Melee was the favorite, and the two fully support the game being at Evo.

As I mentioned before, this negative stigma seems to have stemmed from Brawl's performance at Evo 2008. After Melee's great showing, Smash was basically a staple for the next year. Of course, they were going to go with the newest game in the series at the time of the event, and that was Brawl. 100% of the time, the community moves on to the new game every time.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Brawl is ***. Also, because of it's age, the Evo staff felt there was no concrete ruleset, and decided to implement their own. Which brings me to our next question...

Q: Even if Melee gets on the Evo roster, they're just gonna apply their own crappy ruleset with items on and every match needs to be played on Brinstar Depths and Fox is banned!

A: Nope. As I mentioned, Melee, being a 6 year old game at the time of it's appearance at Evo 2007, had a concrete ruleset established by the community at the time, and it was embraced by Evo. If you don't believe me, here it is from the man himself:

We will get our ruleset. Mr. Wizard and the Evo staff aren't out to get us. Please drop this mentality.

Q: The FGC are a bunch of bullies and they all hate us! I don't want to support a tournament with people that will throw tomatoes at our players!

A: This is as ignorant and uninformed as the trolls on the Internet who claim the Smash community is a bunch of 6 year olds. Internet trolls are everywhere. I have been to many Smash tournaments, many fighting game tournaments, and many where both were held in the same room. The bottom line is this line of thinking is bull****. The real FGC (i.e not shoryuken forum posters, not youtube commenters, and sure as hell not stream monsters), does not give two ****s about what games you play. They aren't going to ****ing bully you for playing Smash Bros.

In fact, Melee has a pretty legitimate amount of credibility around the FGC. Top players such as Chris G, Masta CJ, Noel Brown, Falcomist, Forward, Alucard and many more come from a Melee background.

So lets PLEASE drop this line of thinking, because it makes you look ignorant. Don't get trolled, the FGC won't bite.

It looks like they have donated all their Wiis and CRTs to charity. However, this information was given by Mr. Wizard before the announcement of the Player's Choice game. Assuming Melee wins, there's a chance Evo will try to hook us up. If not... we've survived since MLG without major corporations supporting us with setups. Smash veterans have incredibly defined lats due to carrying CRTs around to tournaments. It's science. This should not be a problem, don't let it discourage you.

Q: Will Sony/Nether Realm/crazy MLP community rig the donations, making it impossible for Melee to win?

Tom Cannon, a member of the Evo staff, had this to say on Twitter:

FYI, we are not accepting publisher contributions to the Evo 8th game drive. It's a community vote, so the fans decide.

So it looks like it's going to be us vs. the ponies.

Pending questions:

(I've sent a tweet to Mr. Wizard, still waiting on a response. In the past, all finals have been run on the main stream. Wizard has stated that due to time constraints and the sheer amount of games they are running this year, some finals will be run on Saturday. We can still expect 50,000+ viewers. Not too shabby.)

Q: Will the community have to bring our own setups/CRTs? (I have to imagine Evo still has Wiis and CRTs somewhere, we'll have to wait and see)

Q: Will a member of the community be running the event? (VERY important. I can't imagine they'll run this tournament without consulting a respected TO, they have 8 games on the roster, they're gonna need all the help they could get)

If anyone has any other questions, shoot. I'll try my best to answer. LOTS of misinformation running amok right now.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I wouldn't be too concerned about CRTs or cubes since I'm sure our community would be willing to bring some to the event! Also, EVO staff hasn't given away all their CRTs since they have the BYOC area where you can plug in your game and play! I hope we wouldn't have to use those setups to run our tournament though!

JPOBS

Smash Hero
What exactly is the problem with donating anyway, and just accepting the fate it if we lose?

This whole "setup a paypal but refund everyone if things fall through" is the most selfish thing I've ever heard

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
What exactly is the problem with donating anyway, and just accepting the fate it if we lose?

This whole "setup a paypal but refund everyone if things fall through" is the most selfish thing I've ever heard
Its bc everybody is right about smash. The majority of the players are immature *****es.

:phone:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Didn't check the money flow good enough, Mr. Wizard could still be doing a dodgey

good times

Landry

Smash Ace

I think people are reluctant because 1. some of the details of this whole situation are kind of weird, and 2. the smash bros community doesn't have nearly the amount of money as some other games.

Our game is old and if we're going to throw money at something I think some people are more interested in putting something where we have a guaranteed return.

Don't get me wrong, I think this charitable endeavor is a great gesture on Evo's part.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I think people are reluctant because 1. some of the details of this whole situation are kind of weird, and 2. the smash bros community doesn't have nearly the amount of money as some other games.

Our game is old and if we're going to throw money at something I think some people are more interested in putting something where we have a guaranteed return.

Don't get me wrong, I think this charitable endeavor is a great gesture on Evo's part.
I'm fine with people not wanting to donate at all, I'm personally not going to either. I just think that making a coup of it is so morally disgusting.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Its bc everybody is right about smash. The majority of the players are immature *****es.

It has nothing to do with whether or not we lose.

It has to do with the fact that there are LEGITIMATE TRANSPARENCY ISSUES.

Everybody would be happy to proceed with the donation fund irrespective of whether or not we win. HOWEVER, IF YOU GO HERE, YOU'll SEE THAT MONEY FROM YOUR WEPAY ACCOUNT CAN ONLY EITHER GO TO A BANK ACCOUNT OF YOUR CHOICE OR A PAPER CHECK. This means that Mr. Wizard could very well collect it as a tax break (which might be equally disgusting), or god forbid, might take any part of the funds into his own account. I'm not saying he's likely to do either but the fact that we don't have very much protection against these things is somewhat startling, wouldn't you say?

This is a SERIOUS problem. If we don't get more information about how this fund works, then I am not entirely sure I could advocate for donations in good conscience.

Q: Will Sony/Nether Realm/crazy MLP community rig the donations, making it impossible for Melee to win? (Hard to say. If they do, **** 'em, they can have it. Enjoy 10 people entering your events you shady ****s)
I had a good laugh

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I had a good laugh
no offense but

sony smash bros has no community

injustice isn't out yet

i highly doubt the ever so active My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic community, which the version being played is a beta build that was leaked on 4chan a few months ago will show up in droves at evo.

VERSUS the community that still has monthly, even weekly tournaments. the community that has a major this weekend that will likely have 300+ entrants.

if you really want to donate to charity, i'm not stopping you. but if you're listening sony/nether realm/bronies... your evo tournament is going to be ****ty and you'd be robbing a deserving community.

enjoy :)

no offense but
Not a lot can offend me

sony smash bros has no community

injustice isn't out yet
I guess I should have bolded the "crazy MLP community" part

i highly doubt the ever so active My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic community, which the version being played is a beta build that was leaked on 4chan a few months ago will show up in droves at evo.
Canterlot Gardens had a pretty successful tournament and stream. Lots of bronies were hype. A Puerto Rican online friend of mine has told me there's a pretty active tournament scene where he lives

VERSUS the community that still has monthly, even weekly tournaments. the community that has a major this weekend that will likely have 300+ entrants.
That's cool

if you really want to donate to charity, i'm not stopping you. but if you're listening sony/nether realm/bronies... your evo tournament is going to be ****ty and you'd be robbing a deserving community.

enjoy :)
Will do :)

(I laughed because bronies have run several successful charities and there other 2 are probably very capable of stuffing them too

In my own personal bias I'd love to see MLP FiM, 3S, or SSBM succeed)

dkuo

Smash Lord
im still ambiguous about how i feel about this voting system, but either way this shouldn't turn into bitterness between communities. if mlpfim/pasbr/etc wins from something crazy like company support or w/e, good for them, they deserve it too.

none of this 'your event will suck' stuff

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Hm I think I'm going to donate.

5 bucks (or even 10) is really not that much. That's what I paid to enter a tournament last week.

I'd be happy to donate to a big smash tournament in addition to this but atm there is no fund and no one has incentive of leading one.

This is already here and it would probably help, and if not, it would help the future (which no one seems to be concerned about).

There are many cons but I think what's motivating me is the hope of seeing Mango playing on a stage with 100,000 + people watching.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
****ing bronies man, wtf guys

Your game isn't even done

That's like us asking to have P:M at Evo

Btw I actually probably will donate $5 to this

For the boobs and what not

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
****ing bronies man, wtf guys

Your game isn't even done

That's like us asking to have P:M at Evo

Btw I actually probably will donate $5 to this

For the boobs and what not
Project M has been through years of testing and has a stable build right now though.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman

Pending questions:

OMG THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS, it's about time. Maybe this'll help encourage the donations more.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind Street Fighter II or any other traditional fighters winning as long as they do it for the community and they don't have big corporations throwing in money for the sake of it. I of course want Melee to win the most still.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Apex should set up a donation fund, you got that many smashers under the same roof you're bound t make some bucks.

Landry

Smash Ace
Apex should set up a donation fund, you got that many smashers under the same roof you're bound t make some bucks.
I was thinking the same thing. This is huge. It'd also be pretty cool if everyone placing in the money voluntarily gives up $5, $10 or more of their winnings toward the Evo fund.

Atlus8

Smash Master
OMG THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS, it's about time. Maybe this'll help encourage the donations more.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind Street Fighter II or any other traditional fighters winning as long as they do it for the community and they don't have big corporations throwing in money for the sake of it. I of course want Melee to win the most still.
Yes! That post should be getting much more attention!

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Having donations at APEX is a wonderful idea. There will be gamers of all sorts there and if someone doesn't have an online way to donate then this is their way in. Alert the strife.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Locked the other Evo threads so everyone could organize their ideas in a single thread

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to make the the discussion stays civil and on track

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
transparency is key.

how can you say who cares they should donate for the sake of donating...

then hold the argument they have to hide donations to avoid a bidding war. yeah god forbid people are throwing money to cancer so their game can compete against others for a spot. funny i believe that's exactly how most charity auctions work.

pick a side.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Wouldn't a bid war be really good for acquiring the sponduli? Two communities trying their best to out do each should bring in more Dolla right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom