• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

Vts

Smash Champion
What I'm really looking for is people who will stand by their opinion. Caving and catering to me just because I happen to be the one posting the application is super weak. I'm not the one accepting people, we have an acceptance committee.

People need to learn to express their opinions before starting the back and forth of a debate.

Honestly, I don't care if people answer one or the other, as long as they provide a solid reasoning behind their choice.

There are so many ways to approach that question. Answering "both" is more of a copout than you guys realize.
reword the question of saying pick one and only 1 both is not an answer then i'll change mine but at the current question it will stay the same.

but if it were to be reworded i would pick tech skill, allowing you to continue hitting a person or person's shield being able to space (its a part of tech skill) u basically lock down the other person even if he has better strategy then u cus he can't use his strategy if you punish his bad tech skill of either missed l-cancels or poorly spaced move or even if he thinks u won't tech off a wall and hit him back.

just my 2 cents if i really had to pick just 1

MacD

Banned via Administration
he told you exactly what he wants, yet you are still going to stand by the technicalities of the wording of a question???

why... just why

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
So does that mean i automatically get in because im like the only person who said comboes are more important than first hits?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
reword the question of saying pick one and only 1 both is not an answer then i'll change mine but at the current question it will stay the same.

but if it were to be reworded i would pick tech skill, allowing you to continue hitting a person or person's shield being able to space (its a part of tech skill) u basically lock down the other person even if he has better strategy then u cus he can't use his strategy if you punish his bad tech skill of either missed l-cancels or poorly spaced move or even if he thinks u won't tech off a wall and hit him back.

just my 2 cents if i really had to pick just 1
See, I shouldn't have to waste my time catering to people who want to nitpick at wording just to get them to give me their opinion. A relatively intelligent person should be able to answer my question at face value. I'm not throwing out any trick questions here. I stated that I wanted the individual's honest opinion.

What you are admitting here is that you weren't honest in answering the question. The question is asking, very specifically, which one you find more important. The question is not "which one of these is important?" That you only write up an answer when you "have to" choose between one or the other implies that you didn't really spend the time to answer the original question properly, as you are able to choose one or the other in a situation where you are suddenly required to.

he told you exactly what he wants, yet you are still going to stand by the technicalities of the wording of a question???

why... just why
Pretty much this.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Has everything been finished for the MBR applicants? Sorry haven't backtracked this thread much lately, just saw it was tuesday.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Cactus has supposedly selected regional leaders and then they will do membership after those regional leaders have accepted/denied the request.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
i just got kicked out D:

cactus doesnt remember the cookies i made him D: WITH MY BARE HANDS ;-;

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
What I'm really looking for is people who will stand by their opinion. Caving and catering to me just because I happen to be the one posting the application is super weak. I'm not the one accepting people, we have an acceptance committee.

People need to learn to express their opinions before starting the back and forth of a debate.

Honestly, I don't care if people answer one or the other, as long as they provide a solid reasoning behind their choice.

There are so many ways to approach that question. Answering "both" is more of a copout than you guys realize.
You said you wanted my honest opinion. My honest opinion is that neither is more important. I gave my reason why. You said you wanted an honest answer, you got one. You stress honesty, yet you say picking both is a copout. So what should I do? I could debate one side or the other equally, but that wouldn't reflect my actual opinion.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM MEEEEEEEEEEEEEASFLHAGA:DJKGBBB:J#P"JU%)%UNOF{:DJ:VK

Also reneblade I picked combos too :D!

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
You said you wanted my honest opinion. My honest opinion is that neither is more important. I gave my reason why. You said you wanted an honest answer, you got one. You stress honesty, yet you say picking both is a copout. So what should I do?

i also picked combos

apparently the roneblaster didn't even read other apps!

Vts

Smash Champion
See, I shouldn't have to waste my time catering to people who want to nitpick at wording just to get them to give me their opinion. A relatively intelligent person should be able to answer my question at face value. I'm not throwing out any trick questions here. I stated that I wanted the individual's honest opinion.

What you are admitting here is that you weren't honest in answering the question. The question is asking, very specifically, which one you find more important. The question is not "which one of these is important?" That you only write up an answer when you "have to" choose between one or the other implies that you didn't really spend the time to answer the original question properly, as you are able to choose one or the other in a situation where you are suddenly required to.
bad test skill on my part it seems but since i said what i said i'll leave my answer and get it wrong.

maybe next application if i don't get get and after 3-4 months i'll be sure to not read in between in lines.

I picked first hits over combos and it was worded the same go me i suck at this :(

also think there should be few more regional leader since ATL south is freaking huge if you choose someone like dr.pp he is 14 hours from me, if you choose the sleepy one he is 8 hours from me, and anyone from florida is 13-16+, arkansas sucks ><

Mahone

Smash Champion
You said you wanted my honest opinion. My honest opinion is that neither is more important. I gave my reason why. You said you wanted an honest answer, you got one. You stress honesty, yet you say picking both is a copout. So what should I do? I could debate one side or the other equally, but that wouldn't reflect my actual opinion.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM MEEEEEEEEEEEEEASFLHAGA:DJKGBBB:J#P"JU%)%UNOF{:DJ:VK

On normal resumes, when they ask if u've ever been arrested or whatever, they want honesty, but it also means they probably won't hire you...

My point is that, he probably doesn't want you to lie and give him the answer he wants just to get in, but at the same time, he is using these questions to see if you would be a good fit for the backroom.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you choose both then explain why
It's not that hard. he wants to assess your ability to support your opinion, not what your opinion is.

Vts

Smash Champion
If you choose both then explain why
It's not that hard. he wants to assess your ability to support your opinion, not what your opinion is.
I'll always say first hits is better than over all combos even though i can see why people chose combos, but first hits give u the chance to stop there combos from starting and also gets u dmg on them so u can either run away and wait for another first hit or just camp them

i'm pretty solid about sticking with one thing and defending it but i'm not going to be an *** and say its right w/o taking into consideration of the others view, i may disagree 200% of what ever they say but i'll listen to there points and point out there flaws

Bones0

Smash Legend
I agree with Upholder. I'm pretty happy with my explanation of why neither is more important, and I take offense from anyone who would call my assessment of the question a "cop out." I didn't say neither was more important so I could appeal to whoever was doing the evaluation; I said neither because I actually believe that valuing one aspect over the other is stupid. I could pick one and explain why it is important, but I'd be lying to myself if I tried to argue that strategy is more important just because it is a more mentally challenging and deeper concept than tech skill.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure that choosing both isn't literally a cop out. What I think Cactuar means is that those who chose both need put a little effort into distinguishing the importance of both aspects. Either that, or you put the same effort into choosing 1. It's not just choosing both and split your explanation in half. So since you're confident in your explanation and stand by it, I'm sure you won't be penalized for it.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I did, but like he said, he's viewing "neither"/"both" as a cop out. That was my issue. Oh well.
It's not an issue if the person genuinely believes it. It is an issue when people are using that answer as an excuse to not actually say anything.

As stated by others, the point is to see if you can support your own opinions, not what your opinion actually is.

I'm not blindly viewing it as a copout. In the situation being described by the people discussing the question, they are using the neutral answer as a copout in the sense that they are avoiding making a definitive statement and choosing a side. If the person can genuinely support their answer of neutrality, its not going to harm their application.

You are making all kinds of assumptions in all the wrong areas, homeslice.

MacD

Banned via Administration
Melee Discussion, son.
omg i forgot, i always avoid that section of the boards for good reason

also think there should be few more regional leader since ATL south is freaking huge if you choose someone like dr.pp he is 14 hours from me, if you choose the sleepy one he is 8 hours from me, and anyone from florida is 13-16+, arkansas sucks ><
and washington is like 20+ hours from us in so cal

but thankfully, we have this magical thing called the internet where we can all converse with each other no matter where anyone is located, advanced users can even talk and see the person they are talking to

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
It's not an issue if the person genuinely believes it. It is an issue when people are using that answer as an excuse to not actually say anything.

As stated by others, the point is to see if you can support your own opinions, not what your opinion actually is.

I'm not blindly viewing it as a copout. In the situation being described by the people discussing the question, they are using the neutral answer as a copout in the sense that they are avoiding making a definitive statement and choosing a side. If the person can genuinely support their answer of neutrality, its not going to harm their application.

You are making all kinds of assumptions in all the wrong areas, homeslice.
This is why I love you, cactus.

That and the green is pretty sweet.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
It's not about your answer, it's about your ability to present said answer and stand by/debate said answer if neccessary.

It's not about being right or wrong, he asks "why?" on almost every question so you state actually as to why you believe you are correct.

In this case if you pick neither, he is looking for you to state as to why neither is better.

I'd like to think there is no right or wrong answer with some of these questions, as I can see many answers potentially being justified.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
****, i didnt read too many of the apps, you caught me. I think i was the first to say comboes though.
:phone:

So it puts a picture of a phone if u post from ur phone now?

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
I hereby nominate Rubyiris for the backroom cause he is literally the best smasher to ever live you guys. Might as well put him in the Brawl and 64 backrooms cause he's just that good. Hell, he should be in the Halo 2 and DoA: EBV backrooms too. Maybe even the Chess and Billiards backrooms.

real talk right here.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I hereby nominate Rubyiris for the backroom cause he is literally the best smasher to ever live you guys. Might as well put him in the Brawl and 64 backrooms cause he's just that good. Hell, he should be in the Halo 2 and DoA: EBV backrooms too. Maybe even the Chess and Billiards backrooms.

real talk right here.
I hope whatever he paid you was worth your dignity saying that.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I'm not applying to the MBR but I saw something about which being more important, combo or first hits.

That's a question I've thought about a lot ( i actually have a lot written down on this topic, I'm at 5 pages in MS word and I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through, so there's no way I can talk about it as in depth as I want right now) and I've determined that there is no solid answer, and it's dependent upon which level of play you're at, and the higher you go towards the top, the more the line blurs between combos and first hits, and the more equally important they become.

Actually, the question itself is really irrelevant to someone who's aiming for the top spot (at least this is how I feel) because you have to master both, and even if you don't TECHNICALLY have to master both, you're just holding yourself back if you're not mastering both.

Some players focus on first hits because they don't want to spend so much time mastering comboing (which is, in Melee, a pretty abstract system compared to other fighters), and that's fine. But then there's the other player who focuses on first hits just like other players, but this player has their combos down much better thus the second player will place higher.

Look at Tuar's playstyle for example. First of all, ****ing brilliant and I have a lot of respect for his Fox and Marth, but mainly his Fox. Second of all, a while ago I used to look at first hits/combos as very linear aspects of the game. They were very measurable to me and very quantifiable. You know, ranking the efficiency of a combo based on how much percent it deals, and ranking how good someone is at getting first hits based off how many they get.

But the more I study and the more I advance, the more I think that my old model of first hits/combos doesn't work due to the depth Melee has and its abstractness. Here's what I mean.

You can look at Tuar's placing and see how much better he is at getting first hits than his opponents, then compare it to how hard he gets combo'd from his opponent, and you can almost take a lot of factors and turn it into an equation if you really wanted to to determine which is better.

But to DO that, you'd have to ignore so many different factors that would affect the answer you're looking for:

*How you get the first hit in (grab, weak nair with fox, dtilt with marth) because every move leads to different rewards, both percentage based and in terms of leading to another move

*The matchup (Getting first hits in is much more important than comboing in Marth dittos, because marth can' really death combo himself, but if you're playing a fox ditto, you better be good at getting the first hit in, and even then you need grabs)

*What skill level your opponent is- like i said, at the highest levels of play both are equally important, but at low-mid levels, a player is better off learning how to death combo rather than getting the first hit in. This is because at low-mid levels, player's tech skill isn't that great so you're going to be getting more first hits in just due to your opponent's error, and if you can punish him much much harder than he can punish you, even if he's forcing more first hits on you, the player that's better at comboing will most likely win)

*Tiers- this should have gone in matchups but whatever, but when you see someone who can combo amazingly well but can't get many first hits in, that's a huge sign of someone who will struggle with low tier matchups. Since low tier characters have difficulty comboing, they're going to know how to get in on you much better than you know how to get in on their niche character, AND low tiers are harder to combo generally than high tiers, so your strength of comboing isn't going to do much. (this is also why tuar beat mango's mario and will probably, very rarely lose to a low tier player. and don't say axe because the factors that determined that match kind of go against the general rules that i'm speaking about)

It's a fun topic to play with and think about, but to anyone trying to be the best they can be, it's a waste of time to try and figure which is more important. Do both for best results.

Top Bottom