• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Discussion: Snake ~

Sake-Hato

Smash Apprentice
if snake is not in the air half of the time then your doing it wrong marth!
if your not abusing your ftilt range and camp 75% of the time untill marth is at 100%+ then your doing it wrong snake!

<3

Player-3

Smash Hero
a man can love more than one thing soren

also i've found out that shieldbreaker ***** snakes that like to shield when you approach them in the air, esp. if they drop a grenade, scares the **** out of them

broke a shield like that in tourney.... but then his nade blew him up at 150% so i didn't get the kill

fffffffff

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
shield braker needs to be used with caution so you don't eat a ftilt or utilt

but yeah it does **** snake especially after he shields to protect himself from his nades

my other 2 cents are that double pivot grab thing we have is a safer way to grab in this match up

Player-3

Smash Hero
if you have a large % lead / stock lead i would say that it's alright to eat a ftilt/grab at low percents to nearly break their shield and put a ****load of pressure on them, and make DB practically spammable

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
to be honest i would make them approuch if i had a huge lead since snake can't approuch marth don't try to heavily camp them but just play smart snake has no safe way to approuch marth and gets off stage very quickly if he is not careful

Also using SB and getting tilted or what not is a good way for snake to turn the tables on you, snake has no approuch on marth that won't be fair'd or other wise heavily punished

smasher01

Smash Ace
yo some one plz help me out with this MU.
seems like when i space a f-air on snakes shield he power shields is and f-tilts me in the face wtf.
how do you avoid his f-tilt?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Fast fall the fair.
OR full hop the fair if you are rising.
If you full hop rising fair he cant punish it before you are above him and retreating awayyyyy~
If you fast fall fair he cant punish you before you get a shield up.

A snake prone to power shielding your fairs also only requires a MINOR stall before you actually throw out the aerial.
3 frames difference wait (i.e. mixing up your usage tendancies to confuse players predictions) means he doesnt power shield it at all.

smasher01

Smash Ace
cant snake dash attack you if he knows you will f-air?
if they do that i can just walk or run up to him and its a free dancing blade right?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
that's where the full hop comes in

If you avoid the dash attack, I'd go with a DB, or dtilt. Just make sure it's outside of the ftilt range.

smasher01

Smash Ace
cool thanks im just picking up marth so this MU is new to me.
any more basic stuff that will really help me out in that match up.

Calzorz

Smash Lord
it is no way in snakes advantage especially 60:40 this matchup is in marths favour imo , u look at all the good marths and they all give the good snakes real real trouble even tho the marths wil do worse vs the better players than the snake (not mentioning names) ,

Marth can just double jump wait for an opening and come down with a f air which leads to multiple hits and especially if u link it to getting snake up in the air u can make it hard work for the snake to get down , snake is amazing on the ground? sure but the only thing that will out range the marth is the 2nd hit of f tilt and even then marth can come from above using the double jump f air as i mentioned , up tilt wil solve that but yet again u cant win a match by up tilt usage only ..?

What if snake gets a downthrow thats alot of % on marth if you tech chase perfectly? yea ur right but with that f air its hard to get a grab on marth ul only get one if u punish a marths landing with a grab or if the marth spaces badly and even then if ur not FRAME perfect tech cahsing a marth can up b and catch u by suprise snake gets most of his % from down throw its important to him and i feel like marth takes his d throw game away from him.

im in a rush typing this XD but i can explain more if ppl dont agree but having it 60:40 in snakes favour is not being realistic , imo 50:50 or if anything in marths favour

Neon X

Smash Apprentice
sir spot Dodging is not the best option against Snake. Even if you spot dodge the first hit of Ftilt the next hits will get you. Same for his Jab. Dancing Blade ***** Snake. Also watching out for Snake's Shielding patterns in Grenade drops is good. You can break his Shield before the grenade goes out. Nair is pretty good too in this fight and also pivot grabbing him out of Cypher works like a charm.

Neon X

Smash Apprentice
Still but DB1 to grab proves very useful in this battle. And i think its very difficult for Snake to avoid it.

Duskshadow

Smash Apprentice
DB1 is definitely not the way to go against Snake.
Dancing Blades is a nice option after one has just forward thrown a Snake. I believe it is a reliable way of getting Snake up to about 18-25% (assuming one has forward thrown the snake at 0-5% if I am not mistaken).

Lord Chair

Smash Master
DB1 means doing just the first hit of DB, which is inviable against Snake due to mechanics. Full Dancing Blades are unlikely to happen due to the way the matchup works.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Does the player slot matter?

YES. IF AN EXPLOSION IS COMING DOWN ON YOU AND YOU ARE HOLDING SNAKE, (or vice versa), WHO DO YOU WANT TO FLY OFF INTO THE DISTANCE?
:)
I dont know how to stress this more lol.

BTW, Is there a way to get the higher controller port over wifi?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I figured you'd reason I meant:

- DB1 > followup is not quite good against Snake because of his weight and falling speed
- DB against Snake isn't terribly good in general.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I disagree...
dancing blade is amazing against snake.
well it's amazing against everyone.

I suppose I use grabs + aerials more than db in the match up though, but saying it isn't good is silly.

etecoon

Smash Hero
not terribly good is not the same as "this move is inviable in this matchup"

and it's still pretty good

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
DB1 tricks should generally be the mixup and not the standard.

Take the guaranteed damage when it's given to you. Especially in this matchup when you can either start a juggle or force him off stage which are your two best positions against Snake.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Im all most positive that there was some setup with up version DB at low percents. I think the thread said you would easily get another DB up version and juggle. Something about getting another garunteed Full DB....but im not sure.

-Ran

Smash Master
If you get Snake on the edge, there's really nothing he can do aside from falling off the stage and C4'ing himself to get way from the situation. Everything that Snake does off of a ledge is able is able to countered [not the move =p] and knock him back onto ledge grab range.

- Get up Attack = Shield + F-Throw, Dolphin slash, falling away Fair.
- Get up = F-throw, Falling away aerial, dancing blade, down tilt.
- Roll on stage = Falling away aerial, down-throw
- Jump up = Falling away aerial.

Snake has no viable aerial to get onto the edge as long as you read properly.

Almo

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how many people know this, if it's relevant or not, but i was told a few days ago by Fatal that C4 lasts 54 seconds before it explodes automatically.

It's not THAT game changing but i think it's a nice tidbit of information and could really help with port advantage if you lead him into it with a grab. The C4 has much more knockback than grenades so the automatic explosion could be played in our favor, but it's a highly unlikely situation.

I have played Fatal and Bizkit multiple times, as well as other mid-level snakes from my region, and i really don't think he is in one of Marth's worst 3 match-ups. I hear a lot of speak about ROB being a pain (unfortunately i lack overall tournament experience to have any input on how hard ROB is), and MK and Dedede seem far worse than Snake. Snake is doable, if you're having trouble i would definitely recommend grabbing more in this matchup. It's been mentioned a few times, but grabs pretty much shut down all of snake's landing options. A well spaced pivot grab beats landing Bair, landing Nair, grenades obviously, and airdodges obviously. Pivot grabs work really well on snake's that recover high, which should be almost always, and the only thing that beats it are B reversals, which can be predicted or reacted upon, and C4 tricks.

I'm not sure how many people encounter it but I know Fatal likes to use this trick. When you hit snake in the air with an upsmash or an up air or up tilt, he will lay the C4 and then double jump, then explode the C4. If you try to react and think he will land you just eat the explosion. But most snakes do this that i've played. What he does differently is you dodge the C4 explosion, but then he lays another and explodes it right after. The point of this is you assume since he has no jumps left you can punish and run straight into the second C4. It's really hard to get around, but the best option is to predict it and try and hit him after he lays the C4 but before he explodes it. This way he can't use more C4 in the air, but is still in that same bad position. Either that, or don't chase him at all. The second C4 creates a wall between you and him, and most of the time he is the one escaping, and puts him near the ledge, which is still favorable to you.

It was mentioned in another thread (i forget who, but credit goes to them), the down variation of the 3rd hit of dancing blade stabs at their feet and then steps REALLY far back so you're out of grab range. If you find yourself attacking their shield too much with dancing blade and getting shield grabbed too much, this could be a nice mix-up to avoid the grab. I haven't tested this much, so i'm not entirely sure how well it would work, if at all.

Pay attention to your airdodge habits, snakes feed off of this. If you find yourself airdodging into the ground too much, they will catch on and eventually punish you every time for it.

I'm not really a knowledgeable player or that great in general, but I really enjoy the match-up and have played good snakes so i figured i would post something. But take this with a grain of salt, i suppose.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure C4 is only 27 seconds or around there. But I'm not Fatal so *shrug*

Top Bottom