• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Zones

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Oh, I forgot to ask, would the zoning change by any chance against a certain character or is this just the general one for Marth against the majority of the cast?
Its slightly different on some characters, but it mostly follows the same guideline. In front and above Marth is good at tipped range.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Ah okay thanks. Thanks for the interesting information guys! Keep up the good work! =D

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yeah, all of the above would apply IF they do hit. However, there have been some matches where I've managed to SDI out of Marth's >B and have punished him for it, even when they stop it after they realized that I got out of the attack. At worst, I can get a jab in. At other times depending on the opponent's reaction time, an F-tilt.

Well, this is true to some extent however, good players can bait you into doing your ^B attack which they will punish. Steel's explained this already I'm sure.

For the >B, remember it's only for the Down B variation. Also, the distance isn't THAT great. Also, Steel already mentioned that Marth suffers from lag when you stop at ANY variation, including the first. You're probably better off shield grabbing if you really wanted to get a grab in.
Pierce7d mentioned that going for shield grabs leaves you open and you can also get hit so it's not auto shield grab always unless they do a laggy attack. After the 1st strike of DB there is lag however it's not that and the grab can be applied when your opponent isn't expecting it according to junkinthetrunk. It seems as if there aren't really any set options that are 100% safe for Marth if we breakdown what everything has been stated so far and with that said it becomes even more important to be able to read your opponent so you will know how they respond to certain situations so that you will be at an advantage. I think that is the best option TBH.

∫unk

Smash Master
up b the expected jab against zss

then they stop doing it

if they try to bait then u can escape anyway its an even game

probably other jabs too u just need fast reactions ive only seen me an mike consistently up b zss jab

but the point is jab isnt that bad throws are scarier put u in way worse positions

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
So how do I prevent my opponent from getting into my redzone? I'm not trying to annoy you but I'm just trying to learn and pick your brain since you're a pro. Also I'm trying to figure out what to get out of the red zone since that isn't an ideal situation for Marth.
Proper positioning of yourself and sword placement is what controls your opponent and keeps yourself safe.

When you're in the red zone DS OoS is good if you KNOW they are going to attack. Characters such as Sheik may jab once or twice then put up their shield to bait the DS. Players may also just grab you. It takes ~5 frames to jump and then another 5 or 6 for fair to actually make contact with them, so retreating fair may not be the best option. Rolling away is probably the best option, though sometimes I may do a cross up dancing blade or pivot grab which I find are good options.

But note that the red zone is usually not a good spot for your opponent anyway. It's not their ideal spacing range, however their jab games more often than not will win out against Marth's due to their speed and safeness. You basically "failed" if you get hit by a move that is shorter than your sword. Your body was in a bad place and you got punished. So the inner yellow zone isn't that good since Marth can still get hit. But for balance's sake there are obviously ways for characters to get inside Marth's zoning. For example Sheik or Sonic have the speed to do so. Your job is to learn how to limit these options that they THINK they have.. thus ****** them.

but the point is jab isnt that bad throws are scarier put u in way worse positions
this

Albert.

Smash Master
Does anyone else think that zoning with Marth is way easier offline?

this is totally off-topic but why is Dancing Blades so ****ty on WiFi? Has anyone found like a solid reason? no other moves seem affected.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Does anyone else think that zoning with Marth is way easier offline?

this is totally off-topic but why is Dancing Blades so ****ty on WiFi? Has anyone found like a solid reason? no other moves seem affected.
What Steel said. Marth sucks on wifi period.

Dancing blade is worse on it because its slower and sometimes characters can spot dodge and avoid the entire combo, including downwards variation.

Also Wifi lag causes your punishing move (dancing blade) to stop randomly in the middle of it....its unsafe and you eat a fsmash or something. Wifi is pathetic.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
What Steel said. Marth sucks on wifi period.

Dancing blade is worse on it because its slower and sometimes characters can spot dodge and avoid the entire combo, including downwards variation.

Also Wifi lag causes your punishing move (dancing blade) to stop randomly in the middle of it....its unsafe and you eat a fsmash or something. Wifi is pathetic.
Why wi-fi, why? FML

∫unk

Smash Master
krimzon ur wrong u just grab whenever u know they're going to shield that might be defensive if they're baiting a ds. its better not to make broad concrete statements (ironyyyy)

i dont think the last picture with falco is that bad to me its like yellow

like ya he's hurting me for 2-4% average but w/e i can still move however i want i have options obviously u cant stay there. also u can hit him if u bait the phantasm

when falco is right next to me its like super red lol

∫unk

Smash Master
viet ur marth clip in ur sig the spacing is terrible

maybe ur trying to non-tipper on purpose though i dunno how brawl+ works

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
that's why i said it's situational

like if you're on the offensive and they shield and try to grab you, and you all out grab them, if they have port priority theyll grab you etc
Why grab when you can hit or chip away at their shield?
Going for grabs puts you in the "red zone" which is risky.
Yes, it is situational.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
viet ur marth clip in ur sig the spacing is terrible

maybe ur trying to non-tipper on purpose though i dunno how brawl+ works
the only move that can be legitimately be untipped with *some* safety is uair. <_<

1st fair is badly spaced, low reaction time allowed me to shieldpoke with usmash. The rest until Falcon hits the edge is just hitstun doing ****. From there it was yet another fluke.

I'm a better CK than CK. Because CK places and stuff.

Junk I wish my pew pew laser was on autofire. Can you help? =(

------------------------

Anyway going out to get grabs is risky. It's better in almost all situations to just let your sword do the work for you. Grabs are more of a reaction sort of thing for Marth. You grab when someone is at frame disadvantage from an attack or if you're punishing someone for recovering high and want to refresh your moveset in the process.

Proactively 'getting the grab' isn't worth the trouble, especially since the part of the cast Marth is afraid of have better grabs that put you in worse situations than your grabs put them in.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Proper positioning of yourself and sword placement is what controls your opponent and keeps yourself safe.

When you're in the red zone DS OoS is good if you KNOW they are going to attack. Characters such as Sheik may jab once or twice then put up their shield to bait the DS. Players may also just grab you. It takes ~5 frames to jump and then another 5 or 6 for fair to actually make contact with them, so retreating fair may not be the best option. Rolling away is probably the best option, though sometimes I may do a cross up dancing blade or pivot grab which I find are good options.

But note that the red zone is usually not a good spot for your opponent anyway. It's not their ideal spacing range, however their jab games more often than not will win out against Marth's due to their speed and safeness. You basically "failed" if you get hit by a move that is shorter than your sword. Your body was in a bad place and you got punished. So the inner yellow zone isn't that good since Marth can still get hit. But for balance's sake there are obviously ways for characters to get inside Marth's zoning. For example Sheik or Sonic have the speed to do so. Your job is to learn how to limit these options that they THINK they have.. thus ****** them.

this
Thanks that was helpful.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Awesome thread. It's vital to know where Marth is strong and where he isn't, and this is explaining it all perfectly. This helps spacing and makes people aware of where he is weak, and all of the things said about his weak zones are definitely true. Nice work.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Dunno why you thought you needed my input Steel. Looks good to me.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Dunno why you thought you needed my input Steel. Looks good to me.
I agree with this guy. I can't see any flaws with this guide. However, it's just that some people including myself aren't as experienced at using Marth like you are so there were some things that I wanted clarified.

Well, least your guide turned out better than the one I put up recently. :( Well...I can't beat myself up too much for it. It's my first attempt at doing one and it's not 100% complete yet. Hopefully I can make a better one later on though. :)

Xervah

Smash Cadet
Interesting read. Great job on pointing out the unfavorable zones for both situations, too close and too far.
Marth definitely has more difficulty maintaining "the zone" on versatile characters since you need to constantly watch both negative zones.
At least the characters that lack a solid range game must eventually approach, eliminating the distance zone, allowing Marth to contol the match at a much more comfortable pace.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Personally, I think we should make this thread against multiple characters, so we can have foavorable and unfavorable zones for each character.

Like against a Jigglypuff, far is favorable and so is mid. Close is harsh though because of her grabs.

Against a Yoshi however, mid and close are pretty favorable and far is bad.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I'm just saying, anything helps. Like against a Falco, its essentially the same, you wanna stay in mid range throughout, although if he's facing you in the air, I prefer being close. I'm likely gonna make one for ground and air of where you want and not want to be.

Top Bottom