• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Marth's Match Ups~

Status
Not open for further replies.

basvhout

Smash Apprentice
Im really having trouble against ROB and DDD. MK is one of my best matchups. cause you can grabrelease him to tipped Fair every time.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Im really having trouble against ROB and DDD. MK is one of my best matchups. cause you can grabrelease him to tipped Fair every time.
If your having a harder time against Marth's even match-ups, then it either:

a) You must be playing a bad MK.
b) You have no ROB or D3 experience, making you play the match-up wrong.
c) The slight chance your lying....

Stick around this thread though, your definitely in the right place!

Darth Destro

Smash Cadet
Hello, Marth Brawlers! I have recently started a thread about different pairings for Toon Link in Team Brawls, and I would greatly appreciate some input on a TL + Marth match. You can find the thread here. Any info would be tremendously helpful.

Soulgem199

Smash Rookie
I got a quastion (btw my engish is not as pro as you guysXD)

I want to punish a pretty good marth player with my own marth. I played with him but on flat stages like FD i got *****. He mindgames with Neatrul Special and stuff. He also plays around with Front Special, grab/FSpecail Dtilt. Its a little bit a Show off marth if you know what i mean butt still exstream good. Anyone got some tips and advice for me?

Sake-Hato

Smash Apprentice
there really is no point in talking about the gannon MU .____.
throw off stage gimp GG

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I think MK marth is more like 60-40 or 55-45 this isn't 2008 we have releases to spikes and Db and counter on nado and other stuff we all know and i feel we should edit the first post

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
not entirely sure i desereved that. Counter Db does go through nado and we do have grab release tools on MK

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
we knew all of that in 2008. doesn't change the fact that metas tools are clearly superior

Rad

Smash Ace
Is there a Marth ditto match-up discussion, or was it overlooked/decided against?

(Or am I completely blind)

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
superior yes but its not 65-35. While havoc might be overexagerating with 50-50 his reasoning wasn't completely off.

Rad

Smash Ace
If you think it's not 65-35, you should bring up some new points, and perhaps address things brought up in the original thread. Being out-zoned, edge-guarded to hell, and gimped quite easily is serious business.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
We arent outzoned when we can cover a larger range than he can in a shorter space of time (as in he cannot dash and attack with something as well as we can when we have aerial mobility and dancing blade).

Edge-guarded to hell applies to both characters. MK struggles to back on stage against us.

Gimped quite easily? Its a major way for MK to kill us faster than we can kill him (in terms of odds of it happening... but technically with grab release to dair that kills MK at 40%... well...)

Rad

Smash Ace
We arent outzoned when we can cover a larger range than he can in a shorter space of time (as in he cannot dash and attack with something as well as we can when we have aerial mobility and dancing blade).
I think it's debatable who is better at taking space... Even though both characters are definitely able to take and control space, MK's zoning is still more effective than ours. Marth is a character with zone-related weaknesses; being above an opponent, being off-stage against some opponents, and being on the ledge. MK doesn't share these weaknesses (at least to the extent we do), but can take advantage of them very well.

I think that constitutes out-zoned, but I don't know. It is true that Marth is capable of taking and controlling space, even against MK.

Edge-guarded to hell applies to both characters. MK struggles to back on stage against us.
Struggles is a bit of a stretch don't you think? MK has more options than the entire cast on the ledge, can choose which ledge he wants to go to, and isn't strictly forced to grab the ledge anyway. Marth can bait and punish some of MKs options, but he definitely doesn't edge-guard MK to hell.

(If I'm wrong and Marth does, please teach me how :D)

Gimped quite easily? Its a major way for MK to kill us faster than we can kill him (in terms of odds of it happening... but technically with grab release to dair that kills MK at 40%... well...)
Grab release to D-air is a bit of a stretch don't you think? Landing a grab near the edge and nailing the tiny D-air window is a good step more challenging than what the MK trying to gimp us has to do.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I dont know...
One of those things, no matter the window, is actually guaranteed from a grab which Marth isnt too shabby at compared to MK requiring you to badly DI or be heavily outread in terms of when you use your jump/db1/etc.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion

shaya is the most inteligent person on this board

Rad

Smash Ace
I dont know...
One of those things, no matter the window, is actually guaranteed from a grab which Marth isnt too shabby at compared to MK requiring you to badly DI or be heavily outread in terms of when you use your jump/db1/etc.
I don't know much about the grab release to D-air, but isn't it like a three frame window or something tiny like that? The speed at which MK escapes has to do with his percentage and how fast he mashes right? If you can't know for sure when he'll break out, and the window is tiny, it can't be 100% guaranteed. Idk, I'm probably wrong.

shaya is the most inteligent person on this board
Stop trolling lmao

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I find the limitation of the player in this regard is similar to Falcos phantasm cancelling to the precise levels that players like DEHF and SK92 can achieve.
They have a 3 frame window to cancel at all, and each frame has different results. They also have to do similar amount of inputs.

The difference is of course the timing/starting of the whole process when grab releasing a character. We have to anticipate/react to that, Falco can just muscle memory the entire thing.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
but we also have more visuals to help with timing
every decent marth should be able to grab release dair 75% of the time if not 100% of the time

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Basically, Shaya's right and you all suck. :)

lol.

Being able to muscle memory something completely is far more useful than having more of a visual cue. They're not even comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom