• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's fair and physics adjustments

Veril

Frame Savant
Marth being the big b**** he is, needs his own thread specifically to discuss the changes that will bring him up to "Gold" status.

We've confirmed that the aerial stopping momentum nerf will be removed. A change to his floatiness has also been approved, though the exact parameters should still be discussed. His fair remains an enormous pain for everyone.

There have been several suggested fixes for the fair: no matter what we do people will be butthurt.

1. Remove the iasa change completely: I'm not considering this as a possibility.
2. Keep the fair as is: but something clearly needs to be done...
3. Increase the startup by 2 and decrease the iasa by 2

4. Implement alternate iasa on hit vs. miss (34 on hit, 39 on whiff) into any action
5. Implement alternate iasa on as above into jump or b-moves.
6. Remove the iasa change and the frame 7+ hitboxes.

Physics?:

1. increase u-grav such that Marth peaks more quickly with his jumps.
2. revert aerial stop momentum to .01

Veril

Frame Savant
Whoops, forgot about #6. That's my favorite suggestion so far because it only impacts the ability to create fair walls (mostly by limiting the effectiveness of SHDF), leaving offensive uses intact.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I didn't just put up a new thread for that or anything O.o
Lies and slander <.<

Anyway...

Options 4-6 are definitely Marth fan favorites. I think this is obvious (next to 1 obv). I don't believe you can keep IASA as it is and hope for physics to bring back double aerials. With this you risk compromising physics and leaving Marth either more dependent on FFs or be left a levitating sitting duck due to be too floaty and/or too high a shorthop.

As for physics, we might want to outline what we want to do. Saying: "I want Marth floatier" is about as helpful as saying to a car dealer: "I want a car."

Personally, here is what I think people mean by that painfully vague question:

1. Make Marth less "heavy"/not so comboable.
2. Peak faster/feel less weighed down.
3. Lack of "elegance"/lacking air control (although the Attribute in question is going to be reverted"), shorthop feels too "short"

A lot of "this" but we can at least pinpoint what sort of change we're looking at. Let's look at the physics code for Marth in the current Brawl+:

119974D0

Which correspond to floating values that multiply the default value (some of these values can be seen in PSA Attributes).

SH: 1.125x
FJ: 1.125x
FF: 1.075x
DGrav: 1.0x
FGrav: 1.25x

Now the main concern is Gravity, "Down Gravity", and Short Hop.

Reducing either DGrav and/or Grav solves concern #1. FGrav most notably affects how much hitstun is dealt to you (pardon any political incorrectness), as well as how fast you fall after being knocked upward (I recall that there was almost no air time difference from either hop/jump's descent even when FGrav was multiplied by the "max" float.

Number 2 is affected by DGravity. Right now gravity is x1, so it's at vBrawl default. If you multiply it by a value less than 1 (like float 3 or 0.95x) than you will get more "Ugrav," causing you to peak higher, but without a fastfall, will fall slightly slower from a hop/jump).

Number 3 is a combination of physics and the Aerial Stopping attribute. With AS out of the way we can focus on general physics.

You can also modify shorthop lengths, but I would personally prefer doing that in PSA where you can be very specific. In fact, you can use both code multipliers AND PSA edited values to get the desired shorthop. However I would suggest that you decide on gravity settings first over the shorthop.

Unlike characters with timing specific ATs like Bowser or TL, Marth isn't as picky, the man just needs frames to double aerial.

If I use tweak Dgravity to "3", he feels a lot floatier instantaneously, and also peaks a lot similar to Melee, which I assume can only be considered a good thing. Peaking faster also has benefits of playing on all of Marth's strengths: feinting, platform pressure, aerials.

I wrote this rather...err haphazardly, but I think you guys get the point...some of you...maybe...

perhaps :012:

Veril

Frame Savant
I see no reason to make Marth less comboable. Increasing u-grav seems like the way to go to deal with #2. Slightly increase u-grav to make his hops/jumps peak just a little faster, and then we can look at SH duration.

I really prefer #6 to all other changes. I'm so tired of this s***...

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Someone try out 99759 with current fair and tell us what they think of it. I'm not sure which settings need to go which way to do particular things, but it's a start.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Option #6 is an interesting idea that I'd need to test to see how much it really impacts him. If it works well, then it's an easy change and I wouldn't need to figure out how to make IASA on hit work consistently (even though it'd be nice to figure out for future projects regardless of if it's used here...).

Although veril, if you wouldn't mind, think I could post our PM convo? Just so I can get those thoughts out here for everyone.

As for the physics... viet switched the terms "grav" and "dgrav" almost every place they were used in that post, making it a bit confusing to read. Anyway, increasing ugrav doesn't seem necessary right now. His fgrav is already at 1.25 with a dgrav of 1.0 (meaning both dgrav and ugrav are being treated as 1.25). If it was increased, I think you'd need to do something like 1.3 fgrav and .95 dgrav to prevent him from being even more ff'erish. I think viet tried marth with the dgrav reduced to .95 (which is what 3 represents in that code) with leaving the other values the same. That should result in a marth that peaks the same time as before, but has more hangtime in the air, and is also not combo'd as hard. I'll have to play around with some combinations of physics. This is by far the simplest edit one could make, since anything other than a simple dgrav change would require making some edits in PSA to make work exactly as intended.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I must have labeled my .txts wrong. I guess I might as well edit the post lol. :012:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I would put my vote towards option 6, it seems like it would be the least intrusive, anda more simplistic take at the problem than 4.

Assuming we get our hands on a test pac, and everything goes as intended for 6, I would love to see that.

I'll miss Rarth... Only time I ever touched Marth, because Roy has always been my boy :(

Veril

Frame Savant
leafgreen386 said:
Veril said:
I'm glad you understand. Marth is going to be altered, obviously, but the Marth thread really is not the place for the fine tuning to take place.

"wall of text follows"
The fundamental problem seems to be that there are two main camps the marth players are divided between: those that just want to see the SHDF return and those that care about everything besides the SHDF. It's difficult to come up with a solution that appeases both of them.

I'm personally in the latter camp. I just want to see marth's mobility and fluidity back, and SHDF is really just a side-note. If it happens to come back as a result of fixing his fluidity, then cool. If not, it's not that big of a loss. I would be perfectly happy if the only change to his fair that was done at this point was adding interrupt for jump and specials at the old IASA point. That's all he needs to be able to retain the large majority of the purposes of the fair.

However, that fails to appease the other camp. They want SHDF first and foremost, and assume that whatever is done to bring back SHDF will also fix their other complaints. Indeed, there is a certain amount of overlap depending on the method used to attain a fix, but in general, most fixes are going to lean more toward one camp or the other. On-hit IASA seemed like the only solution that would completely appease both camps.

Some frame data makes this point clear:
- In melee, marth's SH had a duration of 38 frames. Fair came out on frame 4 and IASA'd frame 30. This gave him 4 frames of error to get out that second fair.
- In brawl+, marth's SH has a duration of 40 frames. Fair comes out frame 4, and before moving the IASA back, was IASA'd frame 34. This gave marth 2 frames of error to get out the second fair.
- In brawl+, after the nerf, marth will need a SH with a duration of 43 frames to be able to execute a SHDF, assuming frame perfect timing. To match brawl+'s old difficulty level of executing a SHDF, he would need a SH with a duration of 45 frames, and to match melee's he would need a SH with a duration of a whopping 47 frames. Obviously, we wouldn't be aiming any higher than brawl+'s old difficulty, as a 47 frame SH is somewhat absurd, although 45 is already pushing it.

I think the main reason marth doesn't feel like marth is not due to how long he spends in the air (he spends more time in the air than melee marth does), but how quickly and how big of a window he has to act after a fair, and the resultant combo potential and mobility that offers. This, combined with getting combo'd like a fast faller results in a marth that doesn't feel like marth.

Making marth feel like marth again should be as simple as enabling actions earlier after a fair and reducing his dgrav slightly. Since this creates balance issues with fair walls, the only way to allow this and also prevent fair walling would be on-hit IASA.

The alternative to this would be greatly increasing his jump time, which would probably end up making him overly floaty, slowing down his shffl game. Which, despite what some may say, always has been and always will be a crucial element to his game. His current shffl game is not what makes him roy-like. His lack of a rising aerial game is.

His fair is a centralizing tactic, but it's a centralizing tactic that has defined marth since the outset. He still has a multitude of viable options even with such a powerful fair, so it isn't quite the status of being its own character, and therefore imo not worth trying to decentralize his play any more than necessary to fix specific balance concerns (ie. the fair walling).

Veril: On a personal note: The people claiming that Marth has seen unprecedented across the board nerfs are completely wrong. Marth's up/back throw and up-tilt were buffed. His dancing blade, even after the damage reduction, has benifited enormously from the mechanics changes, and is one of the best moves in the game. His SHFF aerials are amazing, he has spectacular combos. We even increased the size of his f-smash and bair tippers... Marth is really good.

And then there's a character like MK. I'm as angry about his nerfs as anyone is about... anything in this game. I had to really relearn him after the nair nerf, and his lack of KO power is incredibly evident when playing against say... Lucario. But I'm not removing any of them, despite my massive bias as a tournament MK+.
Yeah, I don't think there are very many people that think marth isn't good. Those that do probably shouldn't contributing to the discussion in the first place. It's just that collectively the marth mains don't think he plays like marth anymore, making it something you can't really ignore.
Well, I hope that was enlightening. I'd like to point out how, despite watching my alt. main get nerfed into the ground I never threw anything even approaching the fit that the Marth mains did.

While on hit IASA is a clever fix certainly, I've come to the conclusion that because the core problem was not a function of how good fair was on hit, rather it resulted from the moves coverage below Marth. Right now that coverage is still there, but the followups aren't. Worst of all worlds? We should remove the problem portions of the hitbox, which will nerf the retreating fair wall but keep all the aggressive uses of fair intact. Perfect imo.

As to the physics. Anything that impacts the opponents ability to combo marth is undesirable. F*** that! That's so clearly a buff that addresses none of my concerns that I'm amazed anyone here would expect me to consider it. If that is an unavoidable side effect of the physics alterations than they can't happen.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
While on hit IASA is a clever fix certainly, I've come to the conclusion that because the core problem was not a function of how good fair was on hit, rather it resulted from the moves coverage below Marth. Right now that coverage is still there, but the followups aren't. Worst of all worlds? We should remove the problem portions of the hitbox, which will nerf the retreating fair wall but keep all the aggressive uses of fair intact. Perfect imo.
I think that a combination of removing the last hit frame and having on-hit IASA for SHDF would really be the best trick. Combine this with appropriate physics and I don't think anyone could complain.

I don't personally think removing the bottom hitbox alone would really create enough of an opening, though.

shanus

Smash Hero
People need to stop complaining about people complaining. "I never complained about my main being nerfed, but marth mains did." I think its come full circle with probably half the cast receiving that line of complaining about complainers.

Not only does it waste space, it wastes your time, and other peoples time reading it! It also adds no merit to an argument.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
People need to stop complaining about people complaining. "I never complained about my main being nerfed, but marth mains did." I think its come full circle with probably half the cast receiving that line of complaining about complainers.

Not only does it waste space, it wastes your time, and other peoples time reading it! It also adds no merit to an argument.
...and by complaining about people complaining about people complaining about their mains, shanus has successfully divided by zero.

Veril

Frame Savant

Give me a god d*** break! I sent that in a PM. If blowing off steam in a PM is that big of an issue to you, too f***ing bad.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
If a character is completely fine as is or doing fine in tournaments and such, and the person/people still want/wants to complain, then it's a problem.

You can't deny that, and no one should. We have underused characters which everyone probably knows, no one's complaining about those. (STFU I DON'T COUNT) We just have to do what we can to balance them with what knowledge we have.

I vote 6. =/

shanus

Smash Hero
...and by complaining about people complaining about people complaining about their mains, shanus has successfully divided by zero.
hahahaha, you definitely win.

Give me a god d*** break! I sent that in a PM. If blowing off steam in a PM is that big of an issue to you, too f***ing bad.
Lol, calm down there big fella. Just taking a playful jab about getting worked up about people complaining. Marth is serious business.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If a character is completely fine as is or doing fine in tournaments and such, and the person/people still want/wants to complain, then it's a problem.
Oh well in that case we should make Sonic really slow with really powerful disjointed attacks. I'm sure he'll be a really solid character, and if the Sonic mains complain, we can tell them, "STFU! Sonic may be slow but he's really good! Your complaints are unfounded!" Right?

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
No, since I haven't seen any results from GOOD Sonic players. I think Sonic is fine as is myself, but I haven't seen any Sonic in matches, so i wouldn't know. =/

No need to troll mang. :<

5ive

Smash Champion
No, since I haven't seen any results from GOOD Sonic players. I think Sonic is fine as is myself, but I haven't seen any Sonic in matches, so i wouldn't know. =/

No need to troll mang. :<
I don't think that what he was trying to get at. He wasn't trolling, just showing that what you said was wrong, or at least "inaccurate".

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I think you missed the point completely. Making a character competitive is easy, but we should strive to make every character feel right too. A slow, powerful Sonic could be really good but it wouldn't feel right obviously. The same way that the current Marth is a solid character but doesn't feel right to Marth mains. It's a legitimate complaint. But it's being dealt with, so forget about it.

Ninjaaaa'd.

Veril

Frame Savant
No, no I won't. In fact, the fix for fair I favor didn't come from the Marth mains. But... I listen when literally every Marth main is at least a little upset about the same things. I know there has to be a change for the sake of our image and to keep this from getting any more out of hand.

Does this mean I'm going to let them OR ANYONE dictate how their character is going to be changed just cause they whine the most? Absolutely not. There is no concrete balance-related reason for this, I think we all can see that. So something like having him become more combo resistant is simply not happening, either is rolling back the fair nerf entirely.

"STFU! Sonic may be slow but he's really good! Your complaints are unfounded!" Right?
Have you read what some of the Sonic mains post? I would choose a different character when making this particular point. Like Ness... oh wait.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I was just trying to make a really blatant example of how we could make a character really good but feel wrong. But apparently Sonic being slow and powerful was a bit too subtle for some people...

shanus

Smash Hero
people be drinking the hatorade up in here. The wbr used to be full of love and joy and kittens. Now its full of rarth.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
"The prince is dead. There is only Rarth." - Alteans 63:34

there is purpose to the nonsensical numbers

Veril

Frame Savant
people be drinking the hatorade up in here. The wbr used to be full of love and joy and kittens. Now its full of rarth.
Sigged.

Anyway, we've gotta come to some concensus on what to do with his fair. I think that removing the problem portion of fair's hitbox and giving it back the old iasa would be ideal. The next best option is definitely IASA on hit. Its between those two options now.

Stop aerial momentum is getting reverted to its non-nerfed status (.01). Yay... something agreed on.

Marth's physics are tricky given that well, there's a reason I said Physics changes were anathema.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
You could come up with 2 of the best, most agreed upon options by those of you working on character balance changes/tweaks and then offer it up to the Marth mains to decide. Make sure the topic clearly mentions it's either A or B, not some new C or a combination of the two or something. For my opinion (whatever it is worth) I'd say IASA on hit is the most interesting but removing the problem portion of fair's hitbox and giving it back the old iasa is the most solid and probably the best choice.

That's my 2 cents.

P.S. Drink up

Veril

Frame Savant
lol

I'm not having public votes on any balance sensitive changes. Even if the Marth mains were adorable bundles of joy I wouldn't do it. Do their opinions matter? Obviously they do. Am I outsourcing the decision-making process to the public? Absolutely not... unless the changes are purely cosmetic, in which case "shrug"

It really is essential that we have 2 Marth .pacs to look at:
Both with modified u-grav and the aerial stop momentum returned to .01.
One with a prototype of the iasa on hit fix
One with the hitboxes terminating after frame 6.

The Cape

Smash Master
I had heard from cape that the physics changes were supposed to reduce how well other chars combo'd him... unless I misunderstood?
Initially the heavier physics were to make him easier to combo. What should be done I think is to make him slightly floatier again but leave the fair change intact as he still has one of the best combo games with the current hitstun. The fair change BARELY nerfed his combo game but in fact it was the hitstun that did so more solidly. Marth's combos are still some of the most potent in the current build and the fair change should stay intact. Give him slightly floatier physics to allow him to have that Marthy zoning feel and he should be good to go.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
I've gotta back Cape on this one. I believe the best way to fix Marth is to simply go through with the physics changes, and I would imagine that would allow him to perform SHDF again (as the nerf just barely disallowed SHDF, but was just enough to perform a double jump out of). Marth would only need a few more frames of air time to perform an SHDF.

However, it doesn't seem that option is on the table anymore. Why? Were the physics changes not enough to bring back SHDF? I haven't heard of any tests being done with the new physics though.

Not that any of the other proposed changes are bad. They all have merit and would seem to work, but I feel like those problems are needlessly overcomplicating a simple solution. Just tweaking physics and seeing if SHDF is brought back would avoid needless complications like sorting out how to properly maker tippers IASA on hit, or in the case of removing frames, avoiding potentially clunky animations. If just adjusting physics doesn't prove to work, I would be more than happy to try another of the aforementioned plans. But this seems to be the simplest and most conservative way to fix the problem, and considering our new code of conduct, I'm surprised it's not being backed more.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
What's wrong with option #6? Potentially clunky animations? Doubtful.

#6 is super simple and it's by far the least intrusive and most natural fix. We should at least try it out.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
There's nothing particularly wrong with option #6, or really any of the options other than the fact that there is another option which requires less work than them and would maintain our intended nerf in the purest, most natural way.

I disagree that option #6 would be the least intrusive and most natural fix when you could just adjust physics as opposed to chopping off a part of a move. You'd be surprised at what removing even a few frames would do to a 4 hitbox hit animation (attack hits on frames 4-8 as per this thread. Terminating on frame 6 is essentially getting rid of half of the slash).

Maybe I'm wrong though. I've never tried to cut frames off of an attack before, but then again I believe this is our first time cutting out frames off of attacks. Elongating or shortening the durations sure, but cutting out frames may make the move look a little wonky, which is my point. Maybe it'd look fine though, but I don't see why we'd have to bother when we might have an option that simply relies on what we were going to do to Marth in the first place.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Unless we redo animations (*cough*SHeLL*cough*), option 6 would look a bit odd I guess. By odd I really mean the animation would no longer fit the hitboxes' present. F-smash isn't entirely fixed in this issue (and it never will be in B+) and Cape removed the U-tilt hitbox shifts, so I don't really think Marth needs another move where the animation is deceptive (unlike Snake, it's at Marth's disadvantage).

Naturally there are legitimate uses for that final hitbox, most notably it helps against short characters (obnoxious Kirby is obnoxiously cute), and usually hits in a reversal. However I think everyone knows that for every "legitimate" use you can easily exploit it for less noble endeavors.

I already said that changing physics to force back SHDF isn't a good way to deal with this. We're talking about trying to be as least intrusive as possible, and forcing frames onto airtime doesn't seem unintrusive at all.

Also at the point where one could SHDF again on physics again, you would have either made a Marth that hops as high as Melee Sheik (also meaning I would WANT to FF every single thing, every single time as well), or something as floaty as Toon Link is right now. Or both. Neither seem characteristic of Marth either.

Marth does not sacrifice efficiency for grace. Grace that is pretentious and unintuitive only serves to satisfy the generic, impulsive and near-sighted Marth users.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
I already said that changing physics to force back SHDF isn't a good way to deal with this. We're talking about trying to be as least intrusive as possible, and forcing frames onto airtime doesn't seem unintrusive at all.

Also at the point where one could SHDF again on physics again, you would have either made a Marth that hops as high as Melee Sheik (also meaning I would WANT to FF every single thing, every single time as well), or something as floaty as Toon Link is right now. Or both. Neither seem characteristic of Marth either.
Ok, that makes sense. I wasn't aware that Marth would have to jump that high or be that floaty in order to regain SHDF considering he was just unable to SHDF by a few frames.

So I guess we have to choose between shaving off frame 7 and 8 or IASA on hit then. Both seem like solid options. I'll have to give it some more thought.

EDIT: or we could just test both out with two different .pacs like Veril suggested. That would help immensely in coming to a final decision :p

Top Bottom