• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Strategies

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So, I decided that I was going to do a write-up on some things that any Marth player should know. I'm going to talk about methods for getting past projectile camping, the best options for approaching, how Marth camps and why he excels at it, as well as methods of getting in damage when you are in an advantageous situation. Please read on because I'm just going to jump right into it.

Dealing with projectiles

1) Jabbing - This is simply using Marth's jab or any attack really to neutralize a projectile. This is the simplest and most effective way of dealing with a lot of projectiles and really limits their effectiveness. The attacks that I would suggest you use for this are Marth's jab of course, and his fair. Jab is very quick, but using the fair will allow you to adjust your spacing while getting rid of the projectile. This method works on Thunder Jolt, baby Aura Spheres, PK Fire, PK Thunder, Turnips, Peanuts, Razor Leaf, Fireballs, Boomerangs, Arrows, Missiles, Eggs, Waddle Dees and Paralyzer blasts.

2) SH Airdodge - By taking advantage of the new airdodge system and Marth's great DI, you can close small distances and still be relatively safe. You might eat a projectile or two, but nothing two serious. This can be used in place of jabbing if you like, but I personally reserve it for Din's Fire and Light Arrows. This really reduces the effectiveness of Din's Fire especially. Since you can DI while airdodging you still have control over your spacing, so remember that. You want to land outside of their close range moves, so you can start zoning them.

3) Rolling - Simple, but effective. Just a nice simple way of closing in quickly. Don't spam it otherwise your opponent will wait for it and punish. But if you know your spacing, and know the distance of when your roll will end in relation to your opponent's positioning, this can be a great way to put yourself exactly at the right spacing to start your offense. This is something I tend to use vs Falco.

4) Perfect Shielding - A good alternative to jabbing and gives you something better to work with vs projectiles that might be a bit tougher to get around. Works wonders vs Wolf's laser since it has a slow rate of fire. Works fairly well on Pit's Light Arrows too. After you Perfect Shield you will usually want to walk forward not run since you can't shield in the initial dash frame. If you walk forward however you can still shield. If you are close enough to your opponent, then you can run to close the gap. You can also SH from your shield or roll as well.

5) Jumping - There are three main forms of jumping that are most effective at closing in. There is full jumping, SHing, and instant double jumping. Full jumping is good for long distance, SH is good for very close distances. And Instant double jumping is a SH then immediately using your second jump. This is good for medium distances. Remember that you have complete control over your DI while jumping and you can airdodge at anytime or attack. You can also fast fall to hit the ground sooner. You options at your disposal so don't forget that. Different forms of jumping will come into play depending on your distance of course and who you are up against. I find full jumps to be most useful against Falco and I use SH's when I'm very close to start a spacing game. I also use SH's when I'm close to Pit to do the same. You can SH over Toon Link's standing arrow and Pit's Light Arrow if it's going straight.

6) Ducking - Simple, but effective for when opponents try to use SH projectiles and their projectile travels in a straight line. Most effective on Toon Link's SH arrow and Falco's SHL to an extent as long as the laser isn't too low. You can also duck a straight arrow from Pit.

7) Counter I do this a lot vs Falco not so much vs other characters. Good for when opponents try to use projectiles up close. Pretty straight forward and useful vs the space animals especially Falco, but also good vs Pit's who like to use arrows up close.

8) JC Fair out of shield Another good tactic for when you are close and you shield a projectile. Immediately SH from your shield and do a fair. You could also do Dancing Blade from the SH too if you wanted to be a bit more fancy and you are close enough.

Next, I'll talk about approaching. Marth is one of the best approachers in the game and has safe moves to fall back that allow him to pressure effectively without putting himself in danger. Marth has about 5 moves that are good for approaching and I will talk about them all as well different methods of approaching.

Fair - The mainstay of Marth's arsenal. Fast and very safe on block. Can't be punished when perfectly spaced. The utility of this move is insane. He can use it offensively or defensively. This thing is fast coming out on frame 4 and has little lag. Since it has little lag, when Marth lands he can roll away, spot dodge, dash away or if he is very close he can up b to stuff his opponents attempt to punish him. Here is a rundown of some tactics using fair.

SH Fair - The most used tactic of every Marth every where on the face of the earth and with good reason. Thanks to Marth's DI he can space this easily and stay very safe. Good for pressuring and forcing a reaction. Since it leaves Marth in the air it is slightly passive. It's easy to hit someone's shield with this and then wait a moment. If they roll towards you or spot dodge then you can punish them when they come out of it, usually with Dancing Blade. If they roll away you can FF then continue pressuring. This is a basic and yet very effective strategy. If you want be defensive you can airdodge after the fair if you fear some kind of punishment, but with good spacing you won't have to worry about that much.

SH Double Fair - This is a really effective zoning tool. Both fairs are fast with little lag and thanks to Marth's DI it's easy to adjust the wall that you are creating. This tactic is all about space control and forcing your opponent to find a way around your sword. If you get a hit in then you can usually score an easy Dancing Blade, but even if you don't hit it's extremely easy to stay safe.

SHFF Fair - This is a Short Hop Fast Fall Fair. You do a SH then fast fall your fair. This is an aggressive move and can lead to a Dancing Blade on hit at low percents. It's somewhat harder to stay safe with this since then moment you fast fall you really can't DI anymore. But even if your opponent moves they still can't really punish you. If you space this well on their shield and they don't move you can try for a grab or maybe a shieldstab with another attack. If you land right next to your opponent after this, you can roll away, spotdodge, or up b to avoid retaliation. You might be able to Dancing Blade if they are a bit slow to punish.

D-tilt- This is Marth's main poking tool. A fast stab over the ground that leads to a free Dancing Blade at lower percents. Good range with ok damage, it can be canceled into any other action the moment Marth retracts his arm. It also comes it in 7 frames making it quite fast. This makes it one of the best pokes in the game. Very easy to play a spacing game with this since Marth can just SH, dash roll or w/e he wants to cancel it. A well spaced d-tilt can't be punished either. Abuse this move because it's awesome. Also doing repeated d-tilts in a row will cause Marth to move forward a bit with each one that he does. Just a little spacing tidbit to keep in mind. Also keep in mind that this will lose to SH approaches since it hits low to the ground. So be sure to mix-up between f-tilt and d-tilt to keep your opponent guessing.

Walk to D-tilt - You might think that walking has no place in an effective Marth playstyle, but you would be wrong. Walking allows fine spacing control and there are varying speeds of walking as well. Once you start using it you will realize how much it adds to your spacing game. Walking allows you to adjust yourself accordingly for a well spaced f-tilt. Very easy to do and very reliable. Think Street Fighter 2 when a character walks forward a bit then throws out a poke move. Same concept.

Foxtrot to D-tilt - Repeatedly doing the opening dash animation is called foxtrotting. This is just using Marth's exceptional foxtrot to quickly cover some ground and then follow-up with a quick slash. A faster alternative to walking, but with less space control.

Run to shield drop D-tilt - You cancel a run into a shield then drop that shield immediately into a d-tilt. Fast, safe and effective. Shield drop takes 7 frames so keep that in mind and watch your spacing. But if you play smart and space well you should be ok.

A quick side note - You may also want to use empty Short hops to approach or adjust your spacing and then follow-up with an attack. Again, Marth has great DI in the air so a SH is great for adjusting Marth's spacing.

Dancing Blade- THIS MOVE....UGH!!!!! It's just too sexy for words people. It has a sweetspot at the tip. The sweetspot does 1% more damage per hit, except the last hit if it's the down b, which always does the same damage. The sweetspot also does more knockback. The basic combo will usually do about 13%, but it can go up to around 18% if you do the down b as the last hit. Now this is where it gets interesting. The Dancing Blade counts as 4 seperate attacks, which means EACH attack counts towards attack regeneration. HOLY ****!!!! Too good. The only bad thing about Dancing Blade is that it's on the unsafe side. But you can mitigate that somewhat. If your opponent is blocking you can just choose to stop the combo, do the third down b hit and Marth will move back a bit which can mess with your opponents timing, or you could do the last down b hit and it will usually shield stab.

Walk to Dancing Blade - You should know why this is good by now. Combines finer space control with the blistering speed of Dancing Blade.

Foxtrot to Dancing Blade - This is too good with Dancing Blade. When you Foxtrot you can Dancing Blade in EITHER direction. So you can dash back if your opponent is too close then Dancing Blade immediately. It's very useful. I love this tactic and use it whenever I see an opportunity. It's also good for spacing since you can Foxtrot and stop in your tracks with one forward b.

Run to shield drop Dancing Blade - You know the deal by now.

Grab- I know, I know. Marth's grab game FEELS very underwhelming at first. But it's still a good way to circumvent shields and get in some chip damage. Plus grab hits recharge your moves as well as the throw itself which is nice. If you do f-throw or d-throw you can usually get in a free hit if you wait for an airdodge which alot of people do on instinct after Marth throws them. You could also go for a re-grab. If they are at low percents you can get a tipper f-smash off a f-throw or a d-throw if they mess up thier DI.

Pivot Grab - The dojo explained this one. You just run or dash and then hit the opposite direction on the analog and grab at the same time. You will grab in the opposite direction. Good for mindgames and just keeping your opponent guessing.

Run to shield grab - A nice mix-up tool between shield drop approaches. Marth's regular grab is better then his dash grab so this let's him take advantage of that.

Camping with Marth

I will say this to start us off. Marth is good at camping. No, he doesn't have a projectile. He doesn't need one. His sword and his moveset give him all the tools he needs. I explained this very well in another thread that I made so I'll copy and paste that explanation here.

"Once he gets close enough he can camp at a certain "optimal" range with SH fairs, f-tilts and d-tilts. Ideally this range is close enough that they cannot safely spam projectiles, but far away enough that Marth outranges them in close combat and can punish any attempt to attack him or rush him. This special type of camping actually allows gives Marth advantage in certain match-ups vs projectile campers and makes other match-ups even. And Marth has another trick up his sleeve concerning his Fair. Thanks to his DI he can easily do a Wall of Pain with retreating fairs or approaching fairs to encroach upon his opponents space while adjusting his own. Marth has a lot of options after a SH fair as well. He can airdodge to be defensive. Fast fall to hit the ground sooner for a different action. Do Dancing blade or Shieldbreaker. Use counter to stuff any attempt to punish. Also from a SH fair Marth is in a position to react to almost anything his opponent does. If they try to roll behind you just use Dancing Blade in that direction. If you know they will try to attack then you can airdodge then punish or counter. If they like to roll back then you can DI forward and fast fall then chase them. If they want to sit in their shield then just DI enough to adjust your spacing so that when you do another Fair on the way down you will be safe. Marth has a lot of options so please experiment and see what you can come up with."

This pretty much sums it up. Marth camps, but he camps in his opponents face more or less. In this way he can shut down an offense, while maintaining control. This is a basic but very effective tactic. It's easy to set-up with just walls of SH double fairs with some d-tilts and f-tilts to mix-up your timing and mess with your opponent. It's also extremely reactive. It takes alot of patience and great reaction time. And most of the time if your opponent rolls you can punish them. Only characters with the fastest rolls have less trouble with this i.e Lucario, MK and maybe a few others. But this can be mitigated by spacing yourself so that if they try to roll behind you, they end up a bit in front of you. Spacing is key with this tactic. You need to remain safe at all times and give yourself enough room to react to anything your opponent does. I'm not saying you won't get hit. I'm saying that you should never be getting hit, due to bad spacing. If you get hit it should be, because your opponent either guessed what your next move would be or they just took a risk and decided to attack. Usually taking a risk won't work that well though since SH fair will beat ground approaches, so if they want to hit you they will have to try to predict you which is why you must very your timing and the moves that you use. Also don't be afraid to rush in with a Dancing Blade or a grab when you think they don't expect it.

Pressing the advantage

Lack of combos in Brawl really makes it hard to get in good damage. You have all come to this realization I'm sure. But there are situations that you can put your opponent in that will greatly increase your chances of getting in more damage. I will talk about those situations and how you can get the most out of them.

When your opponent is in the air

This is a very common scenario and I'm sure alot of you already know what I'm about to talk about. Thanks to the new airdodging mechanic, it has become far more difficult to juggle an opponent and keep them in the air. You must find a way to take advantage of the airdodge system. There are 3 ways to do this. You can just wait for the airdodge. This works the first few times since your opponent will most likely airdodge out of instinct. Just wait for it and punish. The second method is baiting. This is very easy. You just move towards your opponent or jump at them to scare them into airdodging. After they come out of it punish them. The third method takes more skill, but it is the most effective. You force the airdodge with an attack that has little land lag, then a soon as you land use a fast attack to punish. Now keep in mind you have 3 frames sometimes a bit more to punish, so you have to be fast and you have to take into account how much Marth will lag when he lands from the aerial. So usually you will want to use Uair then fast fall and then punish with Dancing Blade, D-smash or U-tilt. You can also grab since most people tend to shield when they land from an airdodge. If you grab them you should u-throw so you can reset the situation. Using these methods you can get the most out of this advantageous situation.

When your opponent is on the ledge

First off all, know your spacing. You need to be far away enough that you can avoid the ledge get up attack. This way you have effectively covered three options. The first being ledge attack, the second being the normal get up and the third being roll get up. If they do either of these you can rush in and attack. So now their options are somewhat limited. Now alot of characters can also do a ledge drop then use their second jump to hop onto the stage and attack. But your spacing covers this option as well. So as long as you are far away enough you now have covered 4 options. The key is to be close enough to react to anything they do, but still far away enough that if they do a ledge attack you won't get hit. The spacing will vary depending on your opponent, since everyone has varying range on their ledge attacks so remember that. So in this scenario, the best thing to do would be a ledge jump. Jump up from the ledge and then try to airdodge on the way down, attack on the way down, or use their second jump to get away.

There is no real sure fire method of dealing with this. But the fact that you know that this is their best option means you can prepare for it. The moment you see them pull themselves up for the jump you can rush and then try to force an airdodge. if they don't then they will probably eat your attack. If they attack it may catch you off guard, but once you start to predict that response you could counter, if their aerials outrange yours. If they don't then your attacks should beat theirs and the situation should reset itself. If they try to double jump, but you are close, then you can attack before they can get their jump off. Now some characters have methods of getting on the stage that are specific to them. You will have to think of your own counters to their methods, but some can be stopped on reaction while others you will have to predict. Falco for example can use his phantasm after a ledge hop, but if you watch him closely you can hit him out of this on reaction.

When your opponent is off the stage

You know what to do here and it doesn't need much explanation. Go for off the stage edgeguarding. Even if you don't kill them, it still nets you some easy damage. Thanks to Brawl's physics and Marth's floatiness it's easy to just run out and swipe at opponents, so don't hesitate to do so. And remember to space and time your attacks well so your opponent can't hit you when you attempt to edgeguard him. Once you become proficient at this you will almost always get in some damage and best case scenario is that you gimp your opponent. There really is no down side in going for off the stage edgeguarding. Try to go for tipper fairs or nairs if you want to net a kill since those have really good knockback.

This wraps it up. I hope this info was useful for you. And even if you don't like my strats I suggest you give them a try because they work and they will definitely help anyone improve their game. At the very least it will open your eyes to more possibilities in your gameplay.

Discuss.

If you think I should add anything just say what it is and why.

And I hope it was a good read.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Very very smart and accurate. Like you said, you may not be the best Marth player...But, you are the most knowledgeable, and your fighting game experience really shows here. I recommend every Marth player to listen to Emblem Lord...His strategies are very smart and logical...A fine addition to anyone's arsenal. Good job.

Reading this is very...Inspiring? It gives me more hope, I could say. It's obvious: Brawl lacks the depth Melee does. However, I know that the game still takes skill, and your post clearly and concisely points out a lot of different methods requiring skill.

I've never been camped by a Marth close range, but I can see how it would be very effective.

Marth has many tools in his arsenals to overcome camping, approach, and camp the opponent. The way you describe his strategies, he seems like he can keep up with other top characters, yet you still say he's not top tier...Have you changed your opinion on this? Is it the same? Can you explain why? How fast can you run?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Hmmm, I think at this point anyone can tell that Marth is one of the best in the game, but I'm still conflicted on whether or not he can be top tier. He is definitely a great character though and I'm satisfied with that.

I changed my opinion mostly because I recognized that certain characters can give him trouble although not so much because of camping and because there are characters better then him of course. And even if Marth doesn't have bad match-ups I firmly belive that other characters like Snake for example have a much greater advantage over other characters then Marth does.

People tell me I run pretty fast, but it's been a while since I had to run so I might have slowed down over the years. lol.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
JesiahTEG said it perfectly...
Very Smart and Accurate... that's what this thread is :D
Excellent guide, an amazing read. I shall bookmark this page! :D

Mike35

Smash Cadet
I was just reading a guide on Snake yesterday that had very detailed moves and strategies, and thinking about how I'd like to see something similar for my my most used character, Marth. And just a day later, here it is. :p

Incredible job, Emblem Lord. You seem to be one of the most knowledgeable players here and I appreciate the fact that you took the time to write this. I will definitely be trying to work some of these strategies into my game.

EDIT: By the way, with so much useful information found in one thread, someone should sticky this IMO.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Needless to say, your experience and critiques are always professional and in-depth (sans the usage of "alot," but we'll ignore that =P). I certainly appreciate your gesture to help out the Marth board. Great guide, probably something that any Marth player should read, both old and new.

I concur that this merits a sticky similar to Mew2King's thread.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
definitely a great read and not only do some of those tactics apply to Marth but all characters IMO but this will help me greatly since i just recently picked up Marth and unfortunately i never mained him in Melee

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
This is a excellent guide, I am very impressed. Some things I would add would be:

(When opponent is on the edge)
- if they just sit there on the edge you can poke the hell out of them
- if they chose to do the ledge attack you can easily counter them
-if you are under them and they are on the edge without invincibility frames, dolphin slash can spike

(When opponent is off the stage)
- if you have time, a bair has more knock back than fair
- if you grab on the edge and opponent is using his ^b that requires some charge or delay (Fox, Falco, Lucas, etc) you can drop of the edge and bair them.
- Another alternate edge guarding technique is dolphin slash, but it can be risky. If your opponent is close to the stage but not on the edge, if you sweet spot them with the dolphin slash and use you your limited DI to get back to the stage you can kill them at lower percents. (Especially helpful with people like Kirby, Meta Knight, Sonic, etc)
- You can counter many characters ^b
- If you and your opponent get under the stage, you can spike them off the floor with dolphin slash

(When you're off the stage)
- If someone starts to go off the stage to edge guard you, you can just counter them.
- The first motion of dancing blade can be used as a stall
- A fully held shield breaker in the air will result with you lunging forward. For pure recovery, this should only be used when necessary, otherwise you may lung forward too far, leading to an SD. If you get hit off the stage fairly high and close, you can hold the shield breaker and lunge forward to whoever is guarding the edge. Surprisingly most people don't see it coming, use sparingly though.
- If opponent is edge guarding and preparing to attack you, you can use the dolphin slash to attack them and grab the edge at the same time.

(On stage)
- On less floaty characters on low damage, you can score multiple hits with u-tilt
- On very low damage or heavy characters, d-tilt to jab is very fast, and can score about 15%
- What can be an effective mind-game is if you bair away from your opponent and then bair towards them in the same jump.
- Although this is a more personal thing, I love the counter, it screws with people so much.

But like I said, great guide, its about time a guide was made for Marth.

KingMak

Smash Cadet
I am very impressed with this guide. You haven't been getting as much respect in your Match Ups thread, but I hope you get more here. Good work, and thanks for the info.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
No one can deny that you are a great strategist. I respect strategy as much as i respect skill. Keep on shelling out the advice.:)

I would also like to add another edgeguarding option to this thread. Dunking (a.k.a. "spiking"). Marth's dair is good for almost (emphasis on "almost") nothing besides this. The first thing to know is that the tip is the only part that will spike, so you need to space yourself so that only the tip hits. This is very hard to do but there are 2 tricks to making it a little easier. (Both examples have your opponent offstage trying to recover). Run towards the ledge then smash the joystick backwards to turn around then jump offstage towards your opponent. The back end of the bair is easier to spike with as opposed to the bottom. The second, harder, method is to footstool jump off their head then immediately **** them with dair. The "footstool dunk" feels great to pull off but should only be attempted close to the ledge to be safe (you can drop off of the ledge onto your opponents head then do it, this isn't the only way tho). More important than the dunk is the recovery. The reason that you don't double jump off the stage is because you sometimes need the extra jump to ensure your recovery. If you don't have the 2nd jump for some reason and your back is to the stage, just reverse the dolphin slash by pressing up+b and then smashing backwards. You can also reverse it by smashing the stick to 1 o' clock or 11 o' clock (approximate position using big hand clock terms).

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
very nice strategies EmblemLord, you really deserve respect/admiration, but like some people posted before, you could add more tricks in the marth's arsenal.
Like he being able of midair dancing blade to footstool jump to D-air, or this recovery technique i created: midair jump to instant c-stick fair whit DI to the side+up, in the peak of the second jump use dancing blade to gain altitude and make a nice way to use charged or uncharged shield breaker to win horizontal distance and use UP-B to comeback to the edge. Also since side-b in the peak of midair jump gives some vertical momentum, he sometimes find a better way to get back to the edge.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I mean...this isn't a guide so much as just the compilation of my knowledge as a Marth player and stuf f that any Marth should know.

But I'll copy and paste stuff to the first page and give credit where it is due.

uremog

Smash Ace
don't sweat the tier stuff for now. just let it play out for a bit more and things will only get clearer. knowing marth is pretty good is good enough for me.

oh yeah, and what about enemy pressure? maybe it's not enough for a section since you covered retreating fairs already. but up B invincibility might be worth mentioning and yuna mentioned sh nair/fair for breaking up certain shielded combos as well (ike's AAA in particular). i guess most of this isn't marth specific

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
lol wen i saw that it was from emblem lord then i went to read it
i always trust ur posts from past ones:)

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
That was an exceptional post and it should be stickied as well.

One more thing with the dair though, don't forget if your opponent skrews up their DI you CAN ken combo, and it's pure sex when it happens.

Oh also, up B out of shield is crazy good and can even KO at high percents, one of the best moves in the game imo, you should add it to the camping section

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
That was an exceptional post and it should be stickied as well.

One more thing with the dair though, don't forget if your opponent skrews up their DI you CAN ken combo, and it's pure sex when it happens.

Oh also, up B out of shield is crazy good and can even KO at high percents, one of the best moves in the game imo, you should add it to the camping section
its great but if they shield it they can easily get a KO on you if your damage is moderate and depending who you're playing.

∫unk

Smash Master
Emblem one approach I've found...

Run towards your opponent, when projectile/attack comes, hit shield but keep hitting forward in the direction of your opponent. Your shield be completely in front of you, which lets you shield a few more projectiles than normal. It's one of the better mid-range approaches because after you are in range to short hop and reach the opponent, or you're already in range.

Also.. maybe add a recovery section? Hanging off the ledge and when the opponent comes out to edge guard you.

MoldinMindz

Smash Cadet
As a melee marth main transitioning to brawl, I just thought i'd add a few of my observations.

** I notice that it is really beneficial to use all of marths moves with great variety. Since brawl is slower, it is a lot easier for your opponent to anticipate sh fairs.

** Also, don't forget that up+b out of shield is a ko move and I recommend leaving tap jump on so you can perform it quickly.

** Don't try and force melee combos, you WILL get shield-grabbed by any decent player.

** Play more patiently and wait for your opportunities to strike while keeping yourself spaced safely.

** The dair spike hitbox is harder to connect with now, but you can get used to it and still spike quite often.

** Props to anyone who plays marth and doesn't need projectiles to camp and win.

** Own all campers!

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
about the SHFF nair as an approach, emblem lord? its a very long aerial with good knocback that leads into fair combos to an easy edgeguard kill. If its not worth using as an appraoch, please tell why (i do use SH double fairs mainly but at high % nair gets kills and combos). But really guide marth guide

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth angles his arms upwards slightly. So it goes over alot of characters heads.

Not really viable IMO, unless your fighting Sanke or someone else that's taller then Marth or Marth's height.

I would stick with a fair, unless you are trying to beat out someone's aerial approach.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Alright, I might not be renown or anything, but I like to think I play a pretty good Marth. I compete and do reasonably well, and I knew all the stuff Emblem Lord here said (very nicely written btw) already, so if you don't mind, I'd like to add some stuff. I actually decreased my SmashBoards reading since Brawl came out, and stopped watching Brawl vids, so the way I play Marth (seemingly similar to Emblem Lord's) was developed WITHOUT any external input. Naturally, there are a few things I do differently than most Marth players, though most are the same. I'd love to talk about them.

First, I want to talk about spiking. Marth's Dair is still good for spiking, and the really key is to be facing away from your opponent when using the Dair to spike. Most good Marth players already know this, but just it case, I might as well remind you here. The back sweep has a better angle than the front sweep than the Dair.

Using the Up Smash to punish roll dodging is very, very good. Most times, Dancing Blade is good for dealing with dodging, but for those who like to roll behind Marth and grab, a slight dash back to an upsmash can turn their roll into a fatal mistake.

Marth's basic neutral A jab (as well as the Dtilt I believe) is very quick to catch players off guard, especially at a tempo change in the match and is highly and most effective against players in midair, as it then chains to the second jab, and then depending on the player, most of the tilts and almost always the down tilt. Since that may then chain to itself, and then itself again, or a Fsmash, you may land 4-5 hits consecutively while punishing a short hop approacher.

Fair comboing has already been revealed not to combo, but you will catch many people off guard with SHFair to Nair (which should land only the first slice), to a tilt (usually dtilt for the same reason as above). It's a fresh approach, slightly faster though more landing lag, less chance of shield grab, and plays an excellent mindgame instead of same old Fair, while looking innovative and stylish. I practiced this against my friend today, and it was very successful.

Dtilt edgeguard is effective as ever, though running off and Fairing or Nairing is very good too.

Spamming Fsmash looks sloppy, and is very predictable, often getting you punish with a grab. This move should probably only be used to punish, combo, or edgeguard, and not outright finish, as Marth has better finishing options, unless you are in clear shot of a nice tip. Sometimes, your opponent leaves themselves open a lot, which causes you to abuse Fsmash, and then removes it's K.O. ability due to move reduction. Don't forget that a well placed Ftilt can still K.O. and is faster, less predictable, and less punishable.

My FAVORITE COMBO with Marth is Fair, Uair, Utilt. Fair not only links to another fair, but also a Uair. This is amazing, and even quicker, which often throws your opponent WAY off guard. The Uair auto-cancels, and can often be chained into an Utilt or perhaps even Usmash at lower damages, and punishes Shield-Grabbers by outspeeding them going hastily for their grab as soon as the think you threw the second Fair (which is really a Uair) by tossing them up into the air.

SHNair is an excellent aggressive move, and can often perform better than the Fair, though not as safe because you cannot space it to avoid punishment. It K.O.s very well, and edgeguard's as well.

And I think that's all I have to share for now. I must reinforce how CRITICALLY important WALKING is. walking Fairs with Marth are VERY underused.

Funfact:
The third, down link of Dancing Blade still spikes like it did in Melee, but you must tip, similar to how you must Crit with CFalcons or Falcos Dair or Mario's Fair in order to produce the Spike. This makes it even more stylish than before, though completely impractical as far as I can tell.

Could this be a combo/pseudo-combo? This first motion of dancing blade to dolphin slash, what do you think?
I used to use this combo in Melee and yes it works in Brawl, though it is most effective while your opponent is in Midair. I generally refer to it as Sky Attack. It is most useful when trying to gimp the opponent trying to use a vertical recovery move, by interrupting them in midair below the stage with Side B, and then knocking them against it and to their doom with Dolphin Slash, causing you to recover safely. I also jump up and use it to K.O. falling opponents, or rarely I'll use it to kill opponents expecting a Fair. It periodically also works after the second attack of Dancing Blade.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Hehe. I like the nickname for the dancing blade to dolphin slash. I usually call it the "wind scar". Anyway, does the third hit really spike??? If it does, thx 4 saying that. I will test it to get a strategy for it.

R3v3nant

Smash Cadet
a spike for the third down b in dancing blade? Haven't heard of that yet, the applications for that might be pretty slim though considering you have to tip and it's the third hit in the combo.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
a spike for the third down b in dancing blade? Haven't heard of that yet, the applications for that might be pretty slim though considering you have to tip and it's the third hit in the combo.
its a VERY weak spike, conditional, and hard to pull off i believe.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I'd like to see video proof of the 3rd hit of dancing blade. I fooled around in practice mode for almost an hour and I couldn't do it once on 1/4 speed and everything(but maybe I'm just a scrub). It's impractical either way, but since there's no disadvantage to having it spike at tip, I really hope you're right about it. =]

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I was experimenting today, and I found out if you foxtrot with Marth, you can roll forward (maybe backwards but I need to test it more) immediately during the initial dash animation. This could lead to an easy and fast way to avoid projectiles, an easy way to get behind opponents, and great mindgames. I apologize in advance if this has all ready been brought up.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So I tested how safe f-tilt is on block.

I would say it's pretty safe overall, but faster characters can get you with a dash attack maybe a dash grab if they react fast enough. Nothing too serious though.

I still rely on it and I will continue to do so.

Still D-tilt is better if you wish to remain totally safe.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
I find this post, incredibly accurate. and helpful actually. Heh, I didn't know the

but where's Nair? 2nd hit's a finisher...

Emblem Lord, whats your opinion on Nair. (any one actually)

Fair upon SHFF has low lag... Nair too though am I wrong?

(ugh, Bair and Dair, Uair, are ugh for oodles of lag)

I also believe 3rd down on "Marvelous Combination" is a spike, but (since spikes are nerfed in Brawl)... I'm 100% sure that in melee it is. I'm not sure if Marth retained it, but I'd believe it

Top Bottom