• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Strategies

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Nair was one of my favorite finishers (still kinda is but harder to hit with now). I called it the "backlash" and that inspired my username. It is perfect for non marth dittos on battlefield since you can chop at the enemies ankles when they land on a platform. Also, you can turn your back to an opponent in the air then nair them away and its pretty safe.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I don't seen the Nair as a reliable approach at all since Marth holds his sword at a high angle that goes over opponents heads when he does the Nair.

I use it as a killer aerial and as an edgeguarding tool.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I still prefer to use ftilt for blocking projectiles and dtilt for poking the annoying dashers =]

But nice find tkd. Another reason to start foxtrotting xD

edit: I don't know emblem lord. Against opponents who like to meet you in the air, nair seems to work pretty well. Since it's hard to air dodge with two hits, and it has a good knockback, I think it can be a pretty decent approach. Not to mention if you time it properly with fastfall, you can usually hit even smaller characters with it(and the best part is they rarely expect it xD)

But of course, nair is still my 2nd favorite killing weapon off stage =b

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
My FAVORITE COMBO with Marth is Fair, Uair, Utilt. Fair not only links to another fair, but also a Uair. This is amazing, and even quicker, which often throws your opponent WAY off guard. The Uair auto-cancels, and can often be chained into an Utilt or perhaps even Usmash at lower damages, and punishes Shield-Grabbers by outspeeding them going hastily for their grab as soon as the think you threw the second Fair (which is really a Uair) by tossing them up into the air.
It chains to up smash at very low percentages pretty well yeah, up air as an auto cancel near the ground can even launch into a SH Dancing Blade combo and all 5 hits show as consecutive (perhaps 6 if you add the fair)

Marth seems to have a ton of combos for such a combo less game.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If my opponents want to go air to air with me, I will usuallly just start fast falling and abusing Dancing Blade to outrange their aerials or rush them down.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I used to play like that too, until I realized that after Nair will generally knock my opponent OFF the stage entirely, and Marth's edgeguarding usually means that you can kill them from there unless it's someone with multiple jumps.

Hazeon

Smash Rookie
I've got my own Marth guide on another forums that may have some info that's of interest to you. Let me know if I can add anything. (I'm not a "Smash N00b, like my current ranking states)

gallax

Smash Hero
something i found while screwing around with marth is that while trying to recover, particularly if marth was sent high into the air, if u hold down neutral b and let it release it will bring marth forward quite a bit. a great way to get marth closer to the stage.

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
Rolling is also a great way to approach Wolf. I also agree with Feardragon64 as far as the nair goes, everyone does have their own playstyle. As far as "Camping" as Marth goes I have often done this, however I have usually heard it referred to as range pressuring.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Why the heck wasn't I subcribed to this awesomeness, I don't know. I amaze myself sometimes.

If you want to screw around with your opponents head, don't do anything. Only counteract what they do. Obviously, this is useless versus characters with good projectiles like Pit, but against characters that you can easily swipe or shield, its hilarious. Most campers are actually extremely impatient. If you don't approach them, and yet they aren't doing damage, they get frustrated and attack you, where Marth has a bevy of awesome ways to punish them.

Obviously, this doesn't work against really patient (and often good) opponents, but its quite funny to do against those players who are still set on Brawl being all about camping. =P

Torppe

Smash Cadet
wow that was really good information there!
this helped me alot!
and btw. I have saw many ppl playing with marth and doing insane combos. i think that marth is one of pros favourite character am i correct?
(sry about my bad english :D)

∫unk

Smash Master
Forgot about this thread... I added it into the sticky thread.

I didn't read through it again but I think this doesn't mention the awesomeness that is Dolphin Slash.

DireklianCliff

Smash Cadet
Awesome

Having read through this (like I have read all of your posts, Emblem Lord), I cannot express how appreciative I am of your guides. I have always thought of myself as a high-moderate Marth player, but I am still learning little things from you each time I read one of your posts. So thank you for helping me improve my game! :D

That said, I don't recall any mentioning of follow-up edge guarding. My friends and I are not experts, mind you, so I cannot say how this would work in competitive, tournament play. However, I like to follow my opponents off the stage if they look to be recovering, and fair them before turning around then using the double-jump and Up-B to recover. Countless times I have drawn a groan from my friend's lips as the tipping nudged them just far enough away from the ledge that they cannot recover. From so far as I can tell, most characters cannot retaliate through this nudge tactic without sacrificing their ability to recover. And if they airdodge, then Marth is still capable of jumping+Up-B'ing to recover exactly the same way he would if the nudging took place (none of my friends have ever airdodged the nudge, so I can't say how effective it would be at stopping the technique).

Nonetheless, in 1-on-1 match-ups, this nudging tactic has, I believe, won me several games because I could safely ensure that my opponent dies without taking a hit myself.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
So Emblem Lord is that Lyon guy who got possessed by the Demon King in FE8? You know, the guy with Naglfar?

Gosh he is so awesome, you could do a solo of him in the last level of the Ruins and beat up all those Draco Zombies easy.

<_<

IDK

Smash Lord
hey EL jw if you could add something to the edge strategies? i think marths should know about about my new discovery with help from xandeR about the upsmash stagespike. pretty useful for edgeguarding for kills. his thread is more useful than my discovery thread so read that if you haven't yet.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
very nice to read this again, it's good to refresh my memory.

I think that even though it's old, some of these techniques are still absolutely essential for Marth, and just knowing the game in general.

Shök

Smash Champion
I dont know if this has been mentioned already, but I think its called buffering.

-Quote (myself):

"Short Hop any aerial (except Bair or Dair), before you hit the ground press R/L and immediately upon landing, tap any direction. Marth will roll that way right away. You can fake out your opponent by using Fair and rolling backwards, or a Nair agressively forward and roll to catch them with a D-Smash."
-End Quote

Other characters can obviously do this, but Marth's aerials, and combos blend in prefectly. And he has a hell of a lot easier time doing it than snake.

Of course the optimal one would be one where you only see a flash and no shield upon contact with the ground.

This works very well with a sidestep dodge too.

But dont, get this confused with a SHAD Roll, you press R/L too late for an airdodge with this one, in a SHAD Roll, you airdodge into the ground AND THEN ROLL.

A bit confusing at first, but simple once mastered.

Summary:

Step 1:
Short Hop and do an aerial upon ascent (except dair or bair)

Step 2:
RIGHT BEFORE you hit the ground, press and hold R/L.

Step 3:
Tap Right/Left/Down AS SOON AS you hit the ground, this should trigger a roll, spot dodge.

There you go.

So yeah.

I might put an instructional video up sometime soon.

Edit:
>.<
Yikes this was shunned....
must've been found already.

Shök

Smash Champion
meh...

found already huh?

ah well... >_>

it's not that great a technique.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Actually, let me stand up for him for a second. One of my friends likes to do this a lot, and it's pretty quick, so it does make for a really good mindgame, especially since I like to wait out an airdodge and hit you on landing lag. I tried it with Marth, and I catch my friend frequently when I do it (but I don't do it often, and haven't done it lately). Marth is relatively fast, so he pulls it off very well.

IK3NI

Smash Cadet
WOWWW!!!! this is a very detailed & inteligent marth strategy guide.... EL... thanx this is one of the few strats that actualy helped.... BIG BIG PROPS for making this...it must've been very time consuming... but still very very nice

Agitokatana

Smash Rookie
This is an incredibly awesome guide, I never tried playing marth seriously until recently, and I must say I love the control, especially in battles with 3 people, depending on their characters you can juggle 2 people at once...thanks for the info.

Top Bottom